Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rudeboy Detective posted:

electric cars should be much lower maintenance and much more durable because of how few moving parts and different liquids and goops they have in them compared to ICE vehicles

I wonder why tesla isn't like that

im a mechanic and i regret to inform you that the most frequently repaired components on every car are tires, brakes, steering and suspension. oil changes are also necessary for ICE engines of course, and extremely valuable for providing drivers an opportunity to be informed that those components need to be repaired before they break. drivers of EVs will not be aware that their tires are bald, their axles are bent, their bushings are torn, their boots are blown, their differential is filled with shavings, and their brakes are metal-on-metal until it is far too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

wouldn't they still be going in for rotations and such tho

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
you don't need to do any maintenance on teslas because they fall apart long before the drivers can wear out suspension components or brake pads

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

don’t need brakes if self driving car just slows down naturally

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Drag via wheel erosion.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

My insurance didn't go up in New York.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

the milk machine posted:

don't worry, insurance is regulated at the state level. when they want to raise prices they have to ask the state very nicely and then the regulators see if the request was nice enough. if it was very nice and sweet they say "ok good luck have fun!"

the war on cars podcast had an episode a while back about how car insurance is probably still too cheap, in that we have a lot of cars and they cost a ton and they crash all the time and our healthcare costs are insane. when replacing a vehicle costs 70k AND staying in a hospital costs $723498273874 per hour AND the new ford annihilator weighs five tons and is capable of flying through guardrails with ease AND the average american slams their car into something every ten seconds, these cost increases aren't quite so strange.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

the war on cars podcast had an episode a while back about how car insurance is probably still too cheap, in that we have a lot of cars and they cost a ton and they crash all the time and our healthcare costs are insane. when replacing a vehicle costs 70k AND staying in a hospital costs $723498273874 per hour AND the new ford annihilator weighs five tons and is capable of flying through guardrails with ease AND the average american slams their car into something every ten seconds, these cost increases aren't quite so strange.

americans pay much much less for car insurance than many other countries, so i can believe that

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

lol I will never buy a new car

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

rising car insurance costs are the fault of our brave and intrepid kia boyz

freedom isn't free

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

the tires rotate after car guesses drive direction, IDIOT

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rising car insurance costs are the fault of our brave and intrepid kia boyz

freedom isn't free

Kia owns love my Kia (dont buy new you fools)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

in my experience, nobody driving any car would ever have their tires rotated if it wasnt recommended to them when they came in for an oil change. i can imagine the apathy towards tires felt by tesla drivers under the impression that the wear mitigation offered by the thick, expensive, heavy EV tires means their tires only need to be replaced when theyre leaking, a sentiment ive heard expressed alongside the idea that “regenerative braking” means your brake pads regenerate.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cars will soon become obsolete

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

scary ghost dog posted:

in my experience, nobody driving any car would ever have their tires rotated if it wasnt recommended to them when they came in for an oil change. i can imagine the apathy towards tires felt by tesla drivers under the impression that the wear mitigation offered by the thick, expensive, heavy EV tires means their tires only need to be replaced when theyre leaking, a sentiment ive heard expressed alongside the idea that “regenerative braking” means your brake pads regenerate.

I’m no pro, but this has been my anecdotal experience around people I know.

those who are on top of it are either just that way about everything & have means, or into cars as a hobby.

average people who want to be responsible but do t fit those two archetype really benefit from reminders/things to consider.

since everyone outside of the hobby dudes or Hank hill types are prob gonna be dumb/naive as hell, the oil change* is a great opportunity to talk with someone else about car maintenance who does it for a living.

*especially if it’s a general mechanic and not just a lube shop

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kia owns love my Kia (dont buy new you fools)

kia and hyundai do own but I just got a recall done that consisted of putting a steering wheel lock in my trunk lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

cars will soon become obsolete

Grok

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Hot dog btw

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I want to drive a hot dog car and take Linda to a date :c00l:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

that's the dream

with Video calls🔥it could be possible

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kia and hyundai do own but I just got a recall done that consisted of putting a steering wheel lock in my trunk lol

mine had a recall a few months after it came out where the car’s brake would randomly disengage while parked so the car would just roll away if it was on an incline

lmao cars

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

that would never happen to a tesla

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1778448109833433351

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Wow, Satire is dead.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whatever happened to DEI... Dedication, Endurance and Ingenuity?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have had a Twitter account for years, never posted, I think I might follow one person? I dunno. Every time I try to use the site it takes ages to load anything. So here is my first and last twitter post, hopefully I get banned:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Desert Bus posted:

I have had a Twitter account for years, never posted, I think I might follow one person? I dunno. Every time I try to use the site it takes ages to load anything. So here is my first and last twitter post, hopefully I get banned:

should have called him a cuck, would’ve been epic

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

mine had a recall a few months after it came out where the car’s brake would randomly disengage while parked so the car would just roll away if it was on an incline

lmao cars

Lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cars yearn to be free

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Whatever happened to DEI... Dedication, Endurance and Ingenuity?

the woke mind virus happened

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

musknoids rise up

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

lmao cars

you're supposed to turn the wheels towards the curb so it wont roll down. and use your parking brake, it's there for a reason

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
lmfao if you don’t physically restrain your car to keep it in place.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RealityWarCriminal posted:

you're supposed to turn the wheels towards the curb so it wont roll down. and use your parking brake, it's there for a reason

the (electronic) parking brake WAS the issue lol

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

no lube so what posted:

should have called him a cuck, would’ve been epic

No dude Elon is ftw.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

OK lol so I'm like 99% sure this is on my end for using AdNauseam, the best adblocker:

https://adnauseam.io/

oh well

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
elon made you mess up your computer

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

elon is very good with computers

he invented paypal

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011