Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1778408076632031677?t=_fq37BG-pHi-cIj5hjRFCA&s=19

Like what is the difference. Why should Biden get a second term for failing (or refusing) to stop it during his first term.

Olivia, what you are describing is literally what “happened under Biden” means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1778408076632031677?t=_fq37BG-pHi-cIj5hjRFCA&s=19

Like what is the difference. Why should Biden get a second term for failing (or refusing) to stop it during his first term.
If you shouldn't look to Hollywood stars for your politics, you extremely shouldn't look to roleplaying game designers. Terrible track record.

But remember, Biden is either the most accomplished, progressive president ever, or a helpless uwu smol bean trying his best, depending on what minute of what hour it is.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Excelzior posted:

I hope Hillary ends up puking her sushi like HW did, wearing that

i hope anime makes this real

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

he didn't stop it because he either does not care or is too weak and feeble to do anything, got it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

If you shouldn't look to Hollywood stars for your politics, you extremely shouldn't look to roleplaying game designers. Terrible track record.

But remember, Biden is either the most accomplished, progressive president ever, or a helpless uwu smol bean trying his best, depending on what minute of what hour it is.

https://twitter.com/HebanonGCal/status/1777390446106300876?t=y1E1IkYv_E9b0CPC6RqUVA&s=19

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Olivia, what you are describing is literally what “happened under Biden” means.

it didn't happen "under" biden, it happened "with" biden

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

OJ Simpson, MF Doom and John Lewis blowing out RBG's back walls in heaven

i make sure i throw em back if theys too scrawny, or bony

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

what i'm getting here is dems care more about the filibuster than the right to an abortion...... interesting

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

VitalSigns posted:

No he cannot, last May Democrats joined Republicans to make it illegal to put loans back in forbearance after September 2023

E:
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/30/debt-ceiling-deal-biden-student-loans-interest-00099144

lmao we did it Joe

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lpzie posted:

i make sure i throw em back if theys too scrawny, or bony

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

What happened to Chadwick Boseman?

Demoted to the heavenly cuck chair, I guess

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's pretty obvious the law requiring the student loan moratorium to end was aimed at the Supreme Court, to give them the green light to overturn his debt forgiveness order.

Without that, there was always the risk that canceling the debt forgiveness would have put pressure on Biden to continue kicking the can down the road and extend the moratorium again like he did before the midterms, which would have been worth more than $20,000 if it went on indefinitely.

Fortunately the court did not have to worry about that, and now of course congressional Dems are going even farther to strip the president of any ability to forgive student loans

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Does joe just have the sunglasses permanently grafted to his skull

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

WampaLord posted:

heavenly cuck chair

user name

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Under President Biden, the economy is so good that even cucks get chairs now.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gradenko_2000 posted:

i cant believe the gop did all this stuff biden already was fine with

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Clint Eastwood yelling at a cuck chair

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm not a huge history buff but didn't the Roman empire do a bunch of "debt jubilee" type stuff when they were in their decline and went "hey, all debt is cancelled, now go spend spend spend!"

we get the dying empire bit but not the debt jubilee bit, this sucks

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

theyre running a train on ron

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rome failed because it started letting soldiers pick its emperors. Soldiers are dumb as shiet

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Biden doesn't deserve a second term and neither does Trump lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

I'm not a huge history buff but didn't the Roman empire do a bunch of "debt jubilee" type stuff when they were in their decline and went "hey, all debt is cancelled, now go spend spend spend!"

we get the dying empire bit but not the debt jubilee bit, this sucks

That was every empire. Debt jubilees were required to keep society going.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:qqsay:

Harvard University, Tufts, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and 10 other schools received failing grades for their policies on antisemitism prevention, according to a new assessment from the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4587901-harvard-tufts-mit-failing-grades-adl-campus-antisemitism/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

One thing that kind of amazes me about our presidential system is... how easy it is to shift blame. Like, if you're president you can just say "oh I totally want to do this good thing, I'm ordering it", then you go to your opponents in congress and say "hey if you pass a law making it illegal for me to do this good thing, I'll sign it in exchange for getting to complain about you", boom done then you can claim you tried to do a good thing but gosh darn it my hands are tied.

In a parliamentary system you can't get away with this. If the PM says "yes I call on Parliament to do this good thing" then you bring up a bill to make good things illegal and join the opposition to pass it, it's patently obvious to everyone what just happened.

But for some reason... people just don't make that connection when there's one extra step? It's so weird.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

I'd like to run a hypothetical forward. Trump is a legitimate threat to democracy. He will spearhead a Christofascist takeover of the USA. Any pretense of democracy is eliminated, Trump is our new dictator on day one. In that scenario, do Sotomayor and the other liberals on SCOTUS and in Congress plan to keep their jobs? Like, say that dictator Trump keeps SCOTUS around and doesn't even fire any of them, and for some reason he keeps Congress around even though they don't decide anything meaningful. Are they going to willingly keep their seats while America turns into Nazi Germany 3.0 and lend legitimacy to its government with their presence?

So why all this hand-wringing about careers? If there's a real chance of all the above happening, isn't giving up your position in government to help elect Biden a no-brainer decision?

The ones with high up jobs like SCOTUS or Congress don't believe that. Not any more than Mitch McConnell thought Obama was literally the Antichrist about to launch Jade Helm Part 2. The "1000 years of Trumpian darkness" is propaganda for the stupid proles to VBNMW. They hate Trump because, first he's an uncouth boor who embarrasses them, and second he's a disruptive outsider to the MIC war industry money train with foolishly unserious ideas like "Iraq was a mistake."

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I can’t tell if people itt are progressive or righties anymore

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

we're communists op

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

we're Forever Trumpers

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Jen heir rick posted:

look, it's very complicated ok? lots of very smart people have looked into it, and this is just the best way to do it. loans can't just be forgiven. you have to apply formulas and poo poo until it adds up. interests have to be accounted for. middle men must be paid. otherwise it's unfair and profits might be lost.

From 2021,

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

New Warren blunt rotation

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

this was all in a goldmined thread, here's where he tried it
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021673&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post529063985

then on the next page willa figures out that leon edited her name out of his posts and the thread rockets into the stratosphere

Add me to the list of those who missed this the first time around.

Best Friends posted:

It’s funny in a “wtf??” sort of way but it’s also genuine creep poo poo. he’s disturbed and imo should not be on this or for that matter any other website.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

we're communists op

Yup. MAGA Communists

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Plank Walker posted:

it didn't happen "under" biden, it happened "with" biden

abortion died “with” biden, not “from” him

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

Yup. MAGA Communists

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Ham Equity posted:

All of that being said, the alternative to the "Democrats have to overwhelmingly win" in order to beat the Republican agenda and force a realignment is that Republicans could overwhelmingly win and force a realignment. Also, if Democrats want that overwhelming win so badly, there are a ton of very popular positions they could take that would gather them a lot of votes: stake out a position against the tax software companies, actually do something about protecting the right to choose, stop shipping weapons to genociders, student loan forgiveness, Medicare for all, stimulus checks for everyone, increasing the child tax credit (which would lift a shitload of children out of technical poverty), etc. It's not the voters job to lift up the Democrats, it's the Democrats' job to make the voters want to lift them up.

they've gotten fat and lazy and I'm curious how long they can stay that way

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nonsense posted:

Rome failed because it started letting soldiers pick its emperors. Soldiers are dumb as shiet
Be harmonious, enrich the shareholders, and despise everyone else.

Please, have some respect. This woman is imagining how much worse things would be if Trump were the one sending unconditional military aid to Israel.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Brrrmph posted:

progressives are righties

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

In Training posted:

Yup. MAGA Communists

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

progressives appear to be calling for unlimited genocide on arabs so id rather not be associated with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It was also really funny that NPR threw a temper tantrum over getting a “state-affiliated media” label on Twitter and deleted their account.

lmao owned