Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Has any director had a decade that rivals Coppola's 1970s? 5 films that are 4 S tier and one A tier (I suppose 3 and 2 if you're an especially harsh critic). Otherworldly and I can't think of another decade of that caliber from anyone.

Antonioni's Sixties. L'Avventura, La Notte, L'Eclisse, Red Desert, Blow Up. And ending with Zabriskie Point in 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dan Wallin died at the age of 97. His long career began with uncredited work on Spartacus and he basically retired after Star Trek: Into Darkness.

He worked on so many movies it's hard to even sum up the most prominent, though the obvious best was Hot Potato (1976).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Has any director had a decade that rivals Coppola's 1970s? 5 films that are 4 S tier and one A tier (I suppose 3 and 2 if you're an especially harsh critic). Otherworldly and I can't think of another decade of that caliber from anyone.

i might take the Coen Bros' '90s over Coppola's '70s (Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, The Big Lebowski)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

drat that's a good one.

If we stretch to 11 years, Wong Kar Wei 94-2004:

Chungking Express
(Ashes of Time)
Fallen Angels
Happy Together
In the Mood for Love

Even dropping 2046 (which I think I like more than most) that's pretty strong

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Kubrick's 60s are a contender with Spartacus, Lolita, Dr Strangelove, and 2001. For me that's A, B, S, S+. Coppola still wins overall though.

E: and if we're just going by any given 10 year span we could drop Spartacus and Lolita and add A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon. poo poo, this might be the one. S, S+, A/S, S. Plus writing and producing for all 4.

E2: I can't math, 12 year gap between Strangelove and Barry Lyndon.

Going by decade Hitchcock released 11 movies in the 50's including Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window (those last two in the same year), Vertigo and North by Northwest. If you go by 10 year stretch you unfortunately lose Strangers on a Train but gain Psycho and The Birds.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

E: ^ holy poo poo

Wait, I forgot about Werner Herzog. His 70s output:

Even Dwarfs Started Small
Aguirre
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Heart of Glass
Stroszek
Nosferatu
Woyzeck

Holy poo poo.

E2: Holy poo poo, Ingmar Bergman. His 60s are strong but if we do 57-66, we get

The Seventh Seal
Wild Strawberries
The Magician
The Virgin Spring
Through a Glass Darkly
Winter Light
The Silence
Persona

along with other movies with limited release or mixed reception

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 11, 2024

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
and that's not even counting herzog's documentaries!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

Kubrick's 60s are a contender with Spartacus, Lolita, Dr Strangelove, and 2001. For me that's A, B, S, S+. Coppola still wins overall though.

E: and if we're just going by any given 10 year span we could drop Spartacus and Lolita and add A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon. poo poo, this might be the one. S, S+, A/S, S. Plus writing and producing for all 4.

E2: I can't math, 12 year gap between Strangelove and Barry Lyndon.

What are S and S+ in this context?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In video games, an "S" is even better than an "A." It's a Japanese convention.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

regulargonzalez posted:

Leaving out ones already mentioned, Kurosawa 54-63 is pretty untouchable, Polanski from 65-74 (i guess fearless vampire killers is pretty mid), Friedkin's 70s (with the caveat that i haven't seen the brinks job), Cronenberg 79-88, Verhoeven from Robocop to Starship Troopers (technically 11 years)... good, consistent, and prolific are a pretty rare alignment unsurprisingly

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
John Carpenter from 79 to 89 is just nonstop bangers

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm rewatching the Outrage Trilogy. I really like these movies. If the Like a Dragon series makes the Yakuza seem in any way positive, this movie does the exact opposite. Everyone in the organization is crazy and bonds of brotherhood mean nothing if your death means someone else will get a little bit more money.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol oj died

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

the Juice is loose from the mortal coil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drat, I thought The Second Civil War had a wild cast with just Phil Hartman, James Earl Jones, Denis Leary, Dan Hedaya, and Ron Perlman, and then Robert Picardo shows up!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh poo poo, Dick Miller!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roger Corman?!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
For "best director decades" another one to consider is Rainer Werner Fassbinder. From 1970-80 (or 1971-80 if you want to keep it to 10 years) he had (among many others...) Beware of a Holy Whore, The Merchant of Four Seasons, The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, Martha, Fox and His Friends, Mother Küsters Goes to Heaven, I Only Want You to Love Me, The Stationmaster's Wife, Germany in Autumn, Despair, In a Year of 13 Moons, The Marriage of Maria Braun, and The Third Generation. Plus a couple of excellent miniseries.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If anyone has been wondering, stories of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey welcome back!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

there's a case to be made for fincher's run from 1997 to 2007

The Game (1997)
Fight Club (1999)
Panic Room (2002)
Zodiac (2007)

panic room isn't fantastic but it's an interesting take on the home invasion genre, but that's the only ~B tier movie in a string of A to S tier movies including one of the most popular movies ever made. also absolutely gently caress me looking at this timeline makes me feel old bc i still consider zodiac a "newer" movie but it's nearly 20 years old at this point.

anyway out of fincher's whole filmography, this is imho his strongest decade. you might say 95 to 05 is stronger bc it includes Seven but it excludes Zodiac which i think is a real strong point, but i could go either way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is Herzog's Woyzeck the one in the train yard I saw at university?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

The Game (1997)
Fight Club (1999)
Panic Room (2002)
Zodiac (2007)

panic room isn't fantastic but it's an interesting take on the home invasion genre, but that's the only ~B tier movie in a string of A to S tier movies including one of the most popular movies ever made. also absolutely gently caress me looking at this timeline makes me feel old bc i still consider zodiac a "newer" movie but it's nearly 20 years old at this point.

anyway out of fincher's whole filmography, this is imho his strongest decade. you might say 95 to 05 is stronger bc it includes Seven but it excludes Zodiac which i think is a real strong point, but i could go either way.

where's Alien3 tho

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

where's Alien3 tho

In the garbage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

In the garbage.

not a David Fincher fan i see

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

not a David Fincher fan i see

no I just hate Alien 3

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Second Civil War is pretty bad despite the insane cast. A rare miss from Joe Dante. It’s nowhere near madcap and/or cynical enough, and ends on a wet fart “oh boy we almost had a second civil war there, good thing cooler heads prevailed and America will persevere!” ending.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

no I just hate Alien 3

right that’s what i said

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Something really evocative still about that "wooden spaceship" pitch, Xenomorph aboard an ark of penitent prisoners, god drat that rules. They don't do "back to basics" like that anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Something really evocative still about that "wooden spaceship" pitch, Xenomorph aboard an ark of penitent prisoners, god drat that rules. They don't do "back to basics" like that anymore.

The joke mighta been made but they literally just made a movie about Dracula on the boat. That comes up so much because there's a whole sequence in the original novel that's pretty much Alien but with Dracula and way before Alien, and in journal form since that's the whole thing of the novel.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised there isn't more prototypical horror fiction in that form, since a ship's log, where every notable event is meant to be recorded, would lend itself naturally to epistolary horror.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The joke mighta been made but they literally just made a movie about Dracula on the boat. That comes up so much because there's a whole sequence in the original novel that's pretty much Alien but with Dracula and way before Alien, and in journal form since that's the whole thing of the novel.

Yeah, there was also an episode of Steven Moffat's Dracula that did the exact same thing, maybe a year or two before that.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Come to think of it, I'm surprised there isn't more prototypical horror fiction in that form, since a ship's log, where every notable event is meant to be recorded, would lend itself naturally to epistolary horror.

Far far too many games just do this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Indeed they do, I mean more like actual 19th century stuff. To be fair I'm probably missing a lot. Moby-Dick I suppose counts as one example of ship-based horror just about the people aboard losing their minds.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Herzog's Woyzeck the one in the train yard I saw at university?

I don’t know if any of us were at university with you to confirm or deny.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Indeed they do, I mean more like actual 19th century stuff. To be fair I'm probably missing a lot. Moby-Dick I suppose counts as one example of ship-based horror just about the people aboard losing their minds.

Like, books from the 19th century specifically, or things set in the past? Do they have to be set on ships?

Because Piranesi does something like this with a giant horror parallel universe thing, and it's worth a read if you haven't checked it out. But the only way it fits with what you're talking about is as horror epistolographia.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 12, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I guess Flowers for Algernon would fit as well

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ShoogaSlim posted:

The Game (1997)
Fight Club (1999)
Panic Room (2002)
Zodiac (2007)

Panic Room rips, it’s the exact kind of thriller that doesn’t get made much anymore. Plus, Dwight Yoakam is loving terrifying.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

i watched a movie today

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Saw Hundreds of Beavers tonight. Good god, it's incredible. Live action cartoon in the vein of Looney Tunes. But it's got the smartest and densest callbacks I've seen in a comedy since Hot Fuzz.

What starts as a gag snowballs into something that becomes part of the world's physics. For one not-really-spoilerly example, guy does the catcall whistle when he finds a woodpecker's nest of eggs, woodpecker immediately runs over and starts pecking his head. Repeat twice. Throughout the rest of the film, he repeatedly summons the woodpecker to trigger traps, attack foes, etc. Almost everything works that way, with even background gags coming back later into a wild finale.

Go see it if you can – and ideally in a theater. There are multiple gags that had mine applauding when the payoff landed. The amount of patience around the pacing is a sight to behold, as is the unrelenting delivery. Basically every scene is a bit. There's some easy sophomoric stuff, but almost all of them twist in a way you can't expect.

Smiling so much just remembering parts of this. Best comedy of the year. Mad it technically came out in '22 and hasn't seen a wider release until today.

edit: Oh dang, it is actually coming to streaming in a few days on AppleTV. Still, if there's any showings near ya, probably best scene with a crowd.

saw the Philly premiere last night. Absolutely incredible experience with a crowd; I still probably would have made it slightly shorter, but the pacing and overall gag hit-to-miss ratio are remarkably strong given a running time that seems unsustainable on paper. the animal costumes never stop being a delight to look at.

also, to clarify the streaming part, I don't think it's coming to any subscription streaming service yet, just to VOD for rental/purchase

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Did your theater also do a standing ovation for the title card when it dropped? Still floored at the patience and payoff of that, god drat.

Agree there's a section before-the-finale that the movie seems to be spinning in it's gag wheel a bit, but it escalates in such a great way during that. Not sure if anyone's done slapstick this well since Jackie Chan.

Was happy to hear they're already at work on their next project, which will be choreographed by the person who did the bar-room brawl scene and, speaking of Jackie Chan, will be a kung-fu homage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wonder how a farrelly bros marathon would go