Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

wish that was still true, but NPR definitely are on X the everything app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

I can’t tell if people itt are progressive or righties anymore

Torus theory op

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Does Twitter assign the same status to the BBC, and were they brassed off about it?

WampaLord posted:

we get the dying empire bit but not the debt jubilee bit, this sucks
Yeah, our ruling class can't make big decisions that preserve capitalism for the long run. Granted, some of that is down to the fact that there's not going to be a much longer run with global capitalism in any case because the biosphere can't sustain it.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Apr 11, 2024

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nonsense posted:

I'm not anymore

Someone stole my account apparently. thanks Elon

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

progressives are righties

the difference between progressives and righties is the difference between squares and rectangles

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Torus theory op

American politics... is like a greasy donut

It's bad for you, exists to feed cops, but is just too dang fun to give up :buddy:

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Apr 11, 2024

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Yeah, they came crawling back at some point, but that just makes it funnier

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

WampaLord posted:

I'm not a huge history buff but didn't the Roman empire do a bunch of "debt jubilee" type stuff when they were in their decline and went "hey, all debt is cancelled, now go spend spend spend!"

As I understand it was literally the opposite. Rome collapsed as wealth became more and more concentrated in fewer and fewer hands, who increasingly cut out funds to the army and its citizens and shrank the Empire to preserve their own fortunes. The "barbarians" that overran Rome were initially invited in under the auspice that a mercenary army was cheaper to keep around then actual legions. This all lead to the army tying to cut them out of the process by picking their own Emperors by hand, which lead to things like "the year there were four different Emperors because they kept getting assassinated / run out / replaced"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mcmagic posted:

They wouldn't have done a full ground invasion and occupation of Afghanistan if 9/11 didn't happen. I don't believe that.

you're such a loving moron

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

tristeham posted:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

we went to afghanistan because of the anthrax attacks

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

inferis posted:

it could be in anyone's mailbox!!!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

is pepsi ok posted:

Konnichiwa, Hillary desu.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol (1) person voted against the afghanistan war in all of congress

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

remember how the news was covering the threat of anthrax attacks for like a whole month before they happened

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pencilhands posted:

Many young voters dislike both Biden and Donald Trump and aren't going to vote. A very polite way of expressing this is that some are what are euphemistically called "low-information voters" and blame Biden for things he can't control. It's like: "I read all about the eclipse and wanted to see it but it wasn't available in my state so I am going to blame the president. It's his fault." Many of them have no idea: (1) what Biden tried to do as president and (2) why he couldn't get it.

Kirsten Mansel (23) is a liberal who wants to teach Biden a lesson because he didn't cancel student loans or protect abortion. She is willing to accept a Trump presidency to stick it to Biden because she is angry. Maybe somebody ought to tell her that Biden tried to cancel student loans but the Supreme Court, full of Republican appointees, said he didn't have the authority to do that, and nevertheless he is trying to do what he can on the interest on the loans and other things. While he or she is at it, maybe someone should tell Kirsten that only Congress can make a law making abortion legal nationwide and all Republicans oppose that, so the votes aren't there.

lmao.

always wonder with these oblivious freaks if they'd accept this level of incompetence in literally any other profession.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

MadSparkle posted:

She ruined a Dolly Parton song because she doesn’t understand nuance , she’s so loving boring these past few years

I think it went a bit past not understanding nuance, quite aside from inverting the original meaning of the song, she managed to write a set of lyrics with an internal logic that makes the song as re-written contradictory and pointless.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

WampaLord posted:

I'm not a huge history buff but didn't the Roman empire do a bunch of "debt jubilee" type stuff when they were in their decline and went "hey, all debt is cancelled, now go spend spend spend!"

capitalism is the only system that prevents debt jubilees

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Shageletic posted:

lmao.

always wonder with these oblivious freaks if they'd accept this level of incompetence in literally any other profession.

oh dang i wonder how many times dems controlled congress

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

WampaLord posted:

No, jubilees were pretty common in general in ancient days, there are many reasons why the Roman empire weakened over time but one of the main reasons is that their aristocracy hated paying taxes and hated paying soldiers so they were always hard-pressed to defend themselves from the Germans/Bulgars/Arabs/Crusaders/Turks or whoever came knocking at the door.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

tristeham posted:

many are saying this

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

inferis posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

you gotta wrap that poo poo in a special CIA napkin

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

sending anthrax via my posts

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

SixteenShells posted:

I can't find it with searches but someone in the last few weeks of the previous thread posted a graph, or a tweet with a graph, showing that it was like entirely part-time jobs being created, while full-time ones shrunk

if everyone with a full time job was fired and had to get 2+ part time jobs the Stancils of the world would call it doubling the employment rate

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i will never forget colon powell shaking his little anthrax sperm sample at the un

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

if everyone with a full time job was fired and had to get 2+ part time jobs the Stancils of the world would call it doubling the employment rate

he;'d be right

the economy is fine dumbass

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

god what a power move, having a normal name like colin but forcing everyone to pronounce it as the same thing you poop out of

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

rest in piss colon

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

tristeham posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

normalish name. ive never met a normal colin

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

loquacius posted:

we're communists op

Lpzie posted:

we're Forever Trumpers

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

way before that post a dnd mod reached out to me & asked for solid examples of leon gaslighting me, so I provided them, after which the mod said he took it seriously & would discuss with the other mods, after which leon was appointed as a dnd mod himself, lol.

NATO in occupied Germany asking "is it true this guy was a huge Nazi?"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

evergreen

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SgtMongoose posted:

The ones with high up jobs like SCOTUS or Congress don't believe that. Not any more than Mitch McConnell thought Obama was literally the Antichrist about to launch Jade Helm Part 2. The "1000 years of Trumpian darkness" is propaganda for the stupid proles to VBNMW. They hate Trump because, first he's an uncouth boor who embarrasses them, and second he's a disruptive outsider to the MIC war industry money train with foolishly unserious ideas like "Iraq was a mistake."

Yeah think about how someone would act if they genuinely thought that Trump getting elected again meant they'd be marched off to the camps, and then look at how they actually act.

Remember when he was president Trump abused all kinds of executive authority that had been granted by congress over the years with the assumption that only people with great :decorum: would ever be elected. So now that they know this, they acted to put limits on all those powers right? Oh, no, in fact they're trying to expand the president's authority and give a future Trump even more power.

Compare to state level Republicans, who have actual beliefs, moving to strip incoming Democratic governors of every ounce of executive authority they can.

And if Trump does win they will probably renew and extend his power to spy on Americans etc

And so many examples. Did they address the senate balance by admitting DC as a state? Did they ban gerrymandering to break Republican supermajorities? Did they restore the Voting Rights Act to protect democracy? Would they even consider packing the court? Oh...no...

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

don't drop that poo poo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1778408076632031677?t=_fq37BG-pHi-cIj5hjRFCA&s=19

Like what is the difference. Why should Biden get a second term for failing (or refusing) to stop it during his first term.

Lmao

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1778452684980298027

Yes! Exactly!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah think about how someone would act if they genuinely thought that Trump getting elected again meant they'd be marched off to the camps, and then look at how they actually act.

Remember when he was president Trump abused all kinds of executive authority that had been granted by congress over the years with the assumption that only people with great :decorum: would ever be elected. So now that they know this, they acted to put limits on all those powers right? Oh, no, in fact they're trying to expand the president's authority and give a future Trump even more power.

Compare to state level Republicans, who have actual beliefs, moving to strip incoming Democratic governors of every ounce of executive authority they can.

And if Trump does win they will probably renew and extend his power to spy on Americans etc

And so many examples. Did they address the senate balance by admitting DC as a state? Did they ban gerrymandering to break Republican supermajorities? Did they restore the Voting Rights Act to protect democracy? Would they even consider packing the court? Oh...no...

did they eliminate the filibuster so they could do the poo poo they pretend they want to do? lol never

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol if the cop stands by while someone else shoots you, it's because he wanted you to get shot and chose not to stop it

you still got shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

this is giving biden way more credit than he deserves, he isn't a bystander to most of the awful poo poo coming to fruition under his presidency, he's been an architect of crime bills, israel policy, etc