Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Honestly it's the opposite: I'm unconvinced that this one guy managed to steal this much money over this much time without the presumably dozens of people and organizations with some kind of eyes on Ohtani's finances not catching wind. Like okay he set up some super secret account that he had access to and could then draw from, but the money going into that account had to come from other accounts Ohtani has that have legit eyes on them, and they would have seen these massive shifts in money. Ippei was supposedly impersonating Ohtani to his bank, but was he also doing that to his accountants? Tax attorneys? Wealth and investment managers? Or does Ohtani really just dump all of his earnings into a checking account and call it a day?

tl;dr Look honestly I can believe that Ippei was able to keep Ohtani specifically in the dark, but I cannot believe he managed to keep everybody that way. Somebody else knew, probably multiple other somebodies, but Ippei was at the center of it and is getting set up as the fall guy. Even in the best case scenario for Ohtani where he was 100% not in the know, he really needs to take a long hard look at everybody else he's got managing his money and allowed this fraud to go on.

Sorta feels like other people knew but didn't raise it as an issue because they thought the obvious thing that Ippei was making bets on Ohtani's behalf, so they just ignored it.

I mean even the bookie seemed to believe this was all a front for Ohtani betting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

We heard years and years of stories about how close Ohtani and Ippei are, how trusted he was, how much communication with Ohtani was filtered through Ippei. Why is it hard to believe that even Ohtani's agent etc were subject to this same filter?

Agents are not financial advisors and I struggle to believe the presumably very well paid and high powered tax attorneys who handle paying Ohtani's taxes for two countries or wealth management/investment execs would take "just trust my translator bro" as a satisfactory answer as to the reasons behind $4M of mysterious unmarked spending year over year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Ohtani did the cans
:doom:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Agents are not financial advisors and I struggle to believe the presumably very well paid and high powered tax attorneys who handle paying Ohtani's taxes for two countries or wealth management/investment execs would take "just trust my translator bro" as a satisfactory answer as to the reasons behind $4M of mysterious unmarked spending year over year.

he probably uses FreeTaxUSA (not a scam)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

ok well feel free to read the 30+ page report from federal investigators and be sure to send your compelling theories about all the holes in it to the FBI, IRS, and DHS, a bunch of agencies who are notoriously sloppy when it comes to investigating financial crimes that don't involve billionaires conspiring against normal people

You think Ohtani's tax attorneys have better direct access to him than his agent?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 11, 2024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

Ohtani did the cans

shohei ohcani

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

a better question might be this:
https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1778491856411623782

Although if Ohtani never got the word that the Giants were wiling to match the Dodgers offer, one might think he would have been upset when that was publicly reported a few months back

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the only thing we can say for sure is Ohtani is a certified financial criminal who commits income tax evasion

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

ok well feel free to read the 30+ page report from federal investigators and be sure to send your compelling theories about all the holes in it to the FBI, IRS, and DHS, a bunch of agencies who are notoriously sloppy when it comes to investigating financial crimes that don't involve billionaires conspiring against normal people

You think Ohtani's tax attorneys have better direct access to him than his agent?

lmao settle down bevis, I'm sorry I dishonored the FBI and DHS.

Popete posted:

Sorta feels like other people knew but didn't raise it as an issue because they thought the obvious thing that Ippei was making bets on Ohtani's behalf, so they just ignored it.

I mean even the bookie seemed to believe this was all a front for Ohtani betting.

This is possible but also just reiterates my point that Ohtani should fire the poo poo out of anybody who had eyes/hands on his finances because they were at best hugely stupid/negligent and at worst complicit in what Ippei was doing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ohtani is just another symptom of the corruption of pro sports through gambling . The mlb isn’t going to ban its biggest star for gambling so we get this instead

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He should almost certainly fire his agent based on how he handled this scandal over the past month alone

in short: https://twitter.com/jaseidler/status/1778487182883258534

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 11, 2024

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
are we sure Ohtani isn't just really, really stupid?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if it's ok with everyone I am going to keep making jokes about shojei being an obsessive gambling degenerate when I can think of one I think is funny.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

if it's ok with everyone I am going to keep making jokes about shojei being an obsessive gambling degenerate when I can think of one I think is funny.

Approved

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I haven’t been this amused since that boat got stuck

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

pretty sure the most important rule on this dead website is that if it's funny you can post it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Okay but only if you promise not to make fun of the FBI.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

This is fine but if the joke isn't funny you get banned

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Does Ohtani know that he's doing billionaires a huge favor with the way he structured his contract?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Okay but only if you promise not to make fun of the FBI.
you didn't make fun of the FBI tho? You posted a dumb "Ippei is the fall guy" theory and I reminded you that that is extremely unlikely given the mountain of evidence provided by federal investigators, as opposed to say MLB investigators

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Start to wonder if the dodgers extorted that contract out of him by blackmailing him .

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Gorman Thomas posted:

This is fine but if the joke isn't funny you get banned

That's a gamble Shohei Ohtani and RD Mangles must be willing to take

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

you didn't make fun of the FBI tho? You posted a dumb "Ippei is the fall guy" theory and I reminded you that that is extremely unlikely given the mountain of evidence provided by federal investigators, as opposed to say MLB investigators

Can we at least agree that the feds are a bunch of assholes?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bawfuls I think you've spent more time protecting Shohei than his actual accounting and management team.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I mean again I don't think Ippei is the fall guy for Ohtani. I think he's getting all the blame when in reality what he was doing should have been stopped ages ago by the people handling Ohtani's finances, and that that didn't happen reflects really badly on them because either they didn't realize when they should have, or did realize and didn't do anything about it. Which is pretty much exactly what you just posted with this tweet:

Like Ippei should not be the only one facing charges here. Everybody else connected to Ohtani's finances should as well, even at a minimum for negligence. But so far all of the criminal focus is on Ippei.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Negligence isn’t a crime. Yet

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Fiduciary negligence usually gets resolved in civil court but in certain circumstances it can rise to the level of criminal activity.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Forrest on Fire posted:

That's a gamble Shohei Ohtani and RD Mangles must be willing to take

I think it's been pretty obvious for awhile but RD Mangles is making these posts on Shohei Ohtani's behalf

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I mean again I don't think Ippei is the fall guy for Ohtani. I think he's getting all the blame when in reality what he was doing should have been stopped ages ago by the people handling Ohtani's finances, and that that didn't happen reflects really badly on them because either they didn't realize when they should have, or did realize and didn't do anything about it. Which is pretty much exactly what you just posted with this tweet:

Like Ippei should not be the only one facing charges here. Everybody else connected to Ohtani's finances should as well, even at a minimum for negligence. But so far all of the criminal focus is on Ippei.
not sure that Nez Balelo has a legally binding fiduciary duty towards Ohtani but I agree he should be fired considering his negligence here

The thing about NEVER having communicated with Ohtani through anyone other than Ippei is pretty dumb

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Bawfuls I think you've spent more time protecting Shohei than his actual accounting and management team.
Shohei hire me I will protect you better and also take a much lower fee

I will opensource all translations to a Dodgers fan discord with Japanese speakers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you have an example of a negligence crime in a code somewhere. I suppose some states have a negligence manslaughter definition

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
When Ippei called the bank do you think he did a poor, almost certainly offensive, impression of Ohtani?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

explosivo posted:

Anyone else here playing Helldivers 2 and did a double take when the new order was on planet VERNEN WELLS?

I had a hearty chuckle.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Shohei hire me I will protect you better and also take a much lower fee

I will opensource all translations to a Dodgers fan discord with Japanese speakers

Good news you don't even have to know Japanese to be Ohtani's translator since apparently you could get away with just making poo poo up for years!

euphronius posted:

Do you have an example of a negligence crime in a code somewhere. I suppose some states have a negligence manslaughter definition

IANAL but this is the second or third result that comes up on google via Investopedia

quote:

Penalties for Fiduciary Negligence

Parties that commit actions that could be considered negligence may be subject to a variety of penalties or other consequences. These penalties may be imposed by a relevant entity or governing body that has jurisdiction over that party.

In some cases, the offending party may even be potentially subject to criminal penalties. More commonly, the behavior would be considered a civil matter. A party that feels they have been negatively impacted by fiduciary negligence can file a legal complaint naming the fiduciary as the defendant.

I admit I'm not invested (heh) enough in this argument to actually go look up legal codes or whatever so if "Investopedia" is wrong then hell I'll just take the L. Ohtani should still fire everybody though.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Gorman Thomas posted:

When Ippei called the bank do you think he did a poor, almost certainly offensive, impression of Ohtani?

That's the thought I had, did he speak in perfect english or did he tailor it to whatever level of english Ohtani speaks? Not that the bank employees would know, necessarily.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Jesus none of you are going to Encyclopedia Brown this thing what are you even trying to accomplish

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wasn’t trying to prove you wrong I was just wondering . It’s an interesting topic (the criminalization of negligence )

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Marcade posted:

That's the thought I had, did he speak in perfect english or did he tailor it to whatever level of english Ohtani speaks? Not that the bank employees would know, necessarily.

Hi this is Shohei Ohtani, the guy who very famously doesn't speak English. I have two exciting pieces of information for you: One, I speak perfect English now. Two i have some enormous financial transactions

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

I wasn’t trying to prove you wrong I was just wondering . It’s an interesting topic (the criminalization of negligence )

I mean I admit I'm wobbly on the financial one but negligent homicide is absolutely a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Really? Go on...

*Googles "how to become a bookie"*