Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

any time you would end a post or statement generally w an exclamation pt, instead try ! Delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mediaphage posted:

yeah and then you have thousands of people looking at a grainy computationally processed phone video going YOU IDIOT THATS CLEARLY NONHUMAN

but isn't the mp4 off the phone computationally processed by the phone which is a computer i dunno

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

is your friend Linda yaccarino? lol

Dead serious first thing I thought of

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

AI could have given us Iain M. Banks The Culture. Instead we stepped too far ahead of ourselves in an uncontrolled cycle of models eating their own poop and now AI sucks and is bad and very, very lame.

Or something.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

Meat ball

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

it's incredible how little content there actually is for how strong her personal brand is lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rudeboy Detective posted:

AI could have given us Iain M. Banks The Culture. Instead we stepped too far ahead of ourselves in an uncontrolled cycle of models eating their own poop and now AI sucks and is bad and very, very lame.

Or something.

glanding calm so that I don't get upset at venture capital idiots for ruining AI forever

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Or something.

keep in mind there's lots of data to subsume, text is just the laziest path

looking forward to the AI corporate overlords a la westworld

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there was nothing to ruin. it’s always been a scam

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SniperWoreConverse posted:

but isn't the mp4 off the phone computationally processed by the phone which is a computer i dunno

yes that’s my point - that modern lovely smartphone cameras are apply a lot of algorithmic processes so what you capture is not necessarily what’s there

combined with a tiny sensor digitally zooming in on something thousands of feet away and it’s pretty lol.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Or something.
It still can give us good things, if we work at it. That work just... includes overthrowing capitalism, so it's perhaps understandably a struggle, with plenty of status quo and reactionary forces using AI (since it's just a tool ultimately) to further their own agendas. The fight isn't lost though, especially when you see how garbage the free corporate AIs actually are.

my bony fealty posted:

friends don't let friends go to Subway
Agreed. Next time you make your own sub sandwich, or a friend makes one for you supported with generous donations, add the parmesan.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ai as an industry isn’t a scam good grief lol. most people are conflating gpt and mid journey with “ai” and there’s a lot more going on. it’s not going anywhere and it’s probably going to get frighteningly more powerful in the next ten years

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ah the no true Scotsman defense for ai. a grifter staple defense

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ai is fake, unlike the mummies

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

alexa, design me a working UFO

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

ah the no true Scotsman defense for ai. a grifter staple defense

that’s not remotely what i said. i said that ai is more than just these two limited consumer facing products and suggesting it’s a scam writ large just means you don’t know what it is

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ok what is AI it is not things everyone says is Ai

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

again you’re intentionally misreading my posts. i never said those things weren’t ai. but i don’t think this is a productive conversation either so i’m going to bow out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

probably an AI

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

garbage in garbage out in it's final optimized form

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Tekne posted:

garbage in garbage out in it's final optimized form
We must make the holiest, most angelic form of garbage in garbage out possible

Good garbage in (good shitposts that agree with me), no more bad garbage going in (bad shitposts that don't agree with me)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the secret of the mummies is that their nonsensical anatomy, that wouldn't be remotely possible as a living creature, was designed by AI

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mediaphage posted:

yes that’s my point - that modern lovely smartphone cameras are apply a lot of algorithmic processes so what you capture is not necessarily what’s there

combined with a tiny sensor digitally zooming in on something thousands of feet away and it’s pretty lol.

Seems reasonable to assume they were only filming it because it looked weird to their eyes as well, but of course we can't know. Lots of fakes out there.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

that's right. god sits in a big magic wheelchair. probably got a toilet in there too

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

maybe instead of demanding a bunch of wheels made outta angel meat roll his fat rear end around, god should get up and stretch his god damned legs

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hatebag posted:

that's right. god sits in a big magic wheelchair. probably got a toilet in there too

merkaba means chariot. remember when kirk asked why god needed a starship (chariot w a throne) and god was like Because my starship is broken, and kirk fought a rock monster

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

The T-1000, its liquid metal

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

every time there’s 60+ posts itt lately it’s AI bs lmao

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Squizzle posted:

merkaba means chariot. remember when kirk asked why god needed a starship (chariot w a throne) and god was like Because my starship is broken, and kirk fought a rock monster

yep, and then the klingons zapped him with lasers, just like in the bigle

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

it means love, you baka

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Hatebag posted:

yep, and then the klingons zapped him with lasers, just like in the bigle

Squizzle posted:

it means love, you baka

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

ai is fake, unlike the mummies

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Couldn't you just keep refining the pre-2022 dataset, allowing AI to keep improving but locking it into an artificial timebox? A thousand years from now it could be very advanced but unintelligible as language has shifted, like Latin masses to illiterate medieval audiences.

The problem is that AI of the type we have now doesn't rely on refining existing data but rather taking in massive quantities of data and detecting patterns within that data. Or, put another way, the data is as interpreted as it can be and it needs more data to interpret that existing data further.

The problem is that any data coming in after AI struck big now has content generated from the patterns detected in the training data. The AI being trained on that data will detect the patterns in that data that the other AI put into it and conclude that those patterns represent how humans communicate, but that isn't necessarily true. A small hallucination in the training data can give rise to later, larger hallucinations because the trained AI will replicate the hallucination as valid, which then leads to even larger hallucinations as the AI gets fed increasingly more tainted data.

Also, the problem isn't with AI being able to produce grammatically correct sentences, the existing data allows that just fine. Your solution might be theoretically workable, but it also means that AI is useless for talking about anything that has happened recently, so no writing news stories or discussing current events and be prepared for it to confidently state wrong answers for anything where our understanding has changed. Like, on a factual level it would think that Attenborough's long-beaked echidna is extinct (it was observed last year for the first time since 1961), that Joe Biden is the president, etc.

AI as we have today only gets better than what we have with a constant stream of new data. What we have today isn't particularly useful, and where it does have valuable uses, it doesn't justify the cost. It's why every AI company is burning dump trucks full of VC cash. They need orders of magnitude more data to make their models work but by their very existence they cause less of that to be created. It's possibly an unsolvable problem without a significant breakthrough that changes how the models work.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
The alien mummies are real, and were designed then manufactured by real artificial alien intelligence

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

What if, just hear me out... one of the mummies was posting in this very thread? Imagine that.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Azathoth posted:

The problem is that AI of the type we have now doesn't rely on refining existing data but rather taking in massive quantities of data and detecting patterns within that data. Or, put another way, the data is as interpreted as it can be and it needs more data to interpret that existing data further.

The problem is that any data coming in after AI struck big now has content generated from the patterns detected in the training data. The AI being trained on that data will detect the patterns in that data that the other AI put into it and conclude that those patterns represent how humans communicate, but that isn't necessarily true. A small hallucination in the training data can give rise to later, larger hallucinations because the trained AI will replicate the hallucination as valid, which then leads to even larger hallucinations as the AI gets fed increasingly more tainted data.

Also, the problem isn't with AI being able to produce grammatically correct sentences, the existing data allows that just fine. Your solution might be theoretically workable, but it also means that AI is useless for talking about anything that has happened recently, so no writing news stories or discussing current events and be prepared for it to confidently state wrong answers for anything where our understanding has changed. Like, on a factual level it would think that Attenborough's long-beaked echidna is extinct (it was observed last year for the first time since 1961), that Joe Biden is the president, etc.

AI as we have today only gets better than what we have with a constant stream of new data. What we have today isn't particularly useful, and where it does have valuable uses, it doesn't justify the cost. It's why every AI company is burning dump trucks full of VC cash. They need orders of magnitude more data to make their models work but by their very existence they cause less of that to be created. It's possibly an unsolvable problem without a significant breakthrough that changes how the models work.

its like tetra-ethyl lead but for cyberspace

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Azathoth posted:

Right, by refining I mean scraping more and more pre-2022 data. I'm sure there are all sorts of print sources that could be digitized and incorporated, probably lots of existing digital text that hasn't been used yet, etc. They could "perfect" that pre-2022 model and maybe it would be pretty nice and useful. But it would also be frozen in time, and eventually it would be incredibly out of sync with how people actually think and communicate. I'm really just having fun with the idea of a supercomputer that mankind knows is significant but can no longer understand.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

What if, just hear me out... one of the mummies was posting in this very thread? Imagine that.
Are you one of them? If so, welcome, thank you for posting with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Orbs posted:

Good garbage in (good shitposts that agree with me), no more bad garbage going in (bad shitposts that don't agree with me)

Jeffrey feed the forums into an AI