Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Oh hey, they removed the cheese rock on that one Termind erradication map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

pubs are funny. watched a guy run into bots over and over and die like 10 times, got mad at the rest of us for "not participating" and then kicked me

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I enjoy purging shooting the xenos. If I unlock stuff, that's neato.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

I meant in terms of support weapons(and honestly from my recollection of using those in the past those shotguns while better at dealing with Berserkers than most other primaries still don't really deal with them with the consistency I want*)

*much like how I've noted before even things like Impact Grenades are surprisingly inconsistent at killing them, honestly the true answer is that the developers really should just nerf their health by like a third(like honestly I would not mind at all if they were made a lot faster or something in exchange for the health drop because as they currently exist they're just tedious to fight rather than an actual threat)

I honestly kill the berserkers much faster with head shots with the Sickle while crouched than I ever do with the auto cannon.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Away all Goats posted:

Do people who complain about 'the grind' even enjoy this game? Would it be better that they didn't expand the modules, and we're forever at 500/250/100 samples so you can have fun?

the game rules and i mostly play with a friend group that either has no care for 7 and above or is still learning the game , so im not gonna leave them to go play with goons just to get super samples. thats all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fangz posted:

The railgun just seems like a fundamentally boring weapon to me so I don't really mind it getting nerfed, or even just removed.

I am actually a little bit bummed that they haven't unnerfed it. It wasn't my favorite weapon or anything, but it took me a little while to get acclimated to using it, and I was just starting to enjoy being the railgun guy when it got nerfed and everyone started using EATs instead.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mesadoram posted:

Bold but true

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mesadoram posted:

*keen-o

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, basically if i got drip fed some samples every now and then by just playing i would never have even complained, i dont want it to be comically easy or just dumped onto people.

I got several super samples in a single evening just joining random diff 7 games through quickplay. I didn't go through any extra effort searching for them, aside from just keeping an eye out while moving between objectives. Sometimes we didn't get any, once I came across the buttplug rock by myself, and other times the randos found super samples without me ever laying eyes on them. I only have 90 hours in the game, I'm not even level 50, and I have most of the tier 1-3 ship modules without ever "grinding" for samples aside from, at most, taking the occasional small detour around the map.

What I'm saying is, you WILL get drip fed some samples every now and then by just playing the game.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

jokes posted:

Do people who enjoy grinding enjoy any game? Can they have fun?

I love grinding and also the best part is that even if I had everything maxed out I would still have fun playing. And when more content drops I'm excited because I can choose to buy it or not buy it. I love democracy is all

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the game rules and i mostly play with a friend group that either has no care for 7 and above or is still learning the game , so im not gonna leave them to go play with goons just to get super samples. thats all.

You're not really missing anything amazing by not having super samples other than maybe the Eagle payload+, assuming you even use the Eagle. There's also nothing stopping you from quickplaying in 7+s and hoping the rest of the team is good enough to carry you to extract. You wouldn't be the first.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

You're not really missing anything amazing by not having super samples other than maybe the Eagle payload+, assuming you even use the Eagle. There's also nothing stopping you from quickplaying in 7+s and hoping the rest of the team is good enough to carry you to extract. You wouldn't be the first.

thats exactly how i get my few super samples a week lol

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WoodrowSkillson posted:

thats exactly how i get my few super samples a week lol
:hfive:

This is just personal opinion but I honestly don't even notice a difference between difficulty 6 v 7. All the dangerous stuff spawns in both.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like 7 because I actually lose every so often and most of the time it's because pubbies loving suck-- other times it's because I loving suck. Knowing pubbies loving suck a lot at 7 means I don't feel as bad bringing lovely/weird loadouts!!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Eruptor makes me erupt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoTsZd2TSD8

in my pants.

I read that you should aim for the front target in a group for maximum splash and that seems to work well. The sights seems to be dead-on accurate, so Super Earth can actually issue sights with proper alignment! Also it's fantastic at peppering the inside of a dropship... no need to shoot it down if you just kill everything inside!

This may be one of the most satisfying guns I've ever used in a game. It's so, so fun

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Away all Goats posted:

:hfive:

This is just personal opinion but I honestly don't even notice a difference between difficulty 6 v 7. All the dangerous stuff spawns in both.

Yep if you can beat a 6 you can beat a 7 no problem.

8 and 9 are also similar enough that you should just do the higher one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Having to find a specific rock for super samples sucks and I don't care what anyone says. Not even remotely enjoyable.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

It is a really weird choice that they only spawn on that one specific rock. Other samples are randomized, aren't they? Why is that the singular one that isn't?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Internet Explorer posted:

Having to find a specific rock for super samples sucks and I don't care what anyone says. Not even remotely enjoyable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1c0u10u/super_sample_guide/

This might be helpful to you and others

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Internet Explorer posted:

This I agree with. Make the rock easier to find

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's definitely helpful, thanks for sharing.

Still a dumb mechanic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ArchRanger posted:

It is a really weird choice that they only spawn on that one specific rock. Other samples are randomized, aren't they? Why is that the singular one that isn't?

Probably to distinguish them from other samples so that it makes them a bit more higher risk knowing you have to hang onto those 3-- and only those 3-- the whole time. With common/rares if you lose some, who gives a poo poo you'll probably find more. With super samples, you find them from Special Rock which almost always has a charger guarding it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Once you know what the super sample rock looks like you can pretty easily spot it from a long way away. Good to know from that link that the rock is easily visible from the minimap, I never noticed that. We usually just wander around until someone finds the buttplug rock

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm floating like 50 super samps, it's the basic ones I need.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The diff is weird in this game. I've had 6's that were harder than some 9's just because of map layout and what enemies the game decides to throw at you.

My point being, don't be afraid to try the higher difficulties, and if you get wiped try again cause the next game might be completely different.

Also, where the pelican upgrades at. Want to strap more weapons to it and get an AC-130 support ship.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BadLlama posted:

The diff is weird in this game. I've had 6's that were harder than some 9's just because of map layout and what enemies the game decides to throw at you.

My point being, don't be afraid to try the higher difficulties, and if you get wiped try again cause the next game might be completely different.

I mostly just hop in and out via quickplay. Does an op get more difficult as it goes on?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I think the best way to describe the Eruptor is:

A bolt-action sniper rifle with a five round magazine that actually fires impact grenades.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I mostly just hop in and out via quickplay. Does an op get more difficult as it goes on?

Yes, the longer the map goes on the more often the game will spawn patrols. Also taking out a bug nest/bot base will reduce the amount of patrols that spawn in the local area but will slightly increase the amount of global patrols.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 11, 2024

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ Time has no effect on the spawn rate of patrols.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

No, not really. There is an increase to spawn rates if you destroy 50%+ of outpost, but it isn't that big of a deal, and clearing out space to kite stuff makes things easier.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 11, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Way more patrols start spawning once the primary objective is complete.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BadLlama posted:

Really? There's so much information flowing about it's easy to get confused.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

BadLlama posted:

No, not really. There is an increase to spawn rates if you destroy 50%+ of outpost, but it isn't that big of a deal, and clearing out space to kite stuff makes things easier.

also outposts do spawn and sent trash mobs to a nearby fight, stalker nests will continually pump them out when there is a fight nearby too. any patrol increase from destroying them is normally negated by those benefits.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Really? There's so much information flowing about it's easy to get confused.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bdudf3/lets_talk_about_patrols_an_in_depth_analysis_of/

This is a very spergy post that goes into the mechanics based off some reddit scientists testing.

The devs purposefully keep stuff secret on how it actually works so who knows if some stuff may be wrong or missing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ArchRanger posted:

Probably because there's only three to six in the entire map and it would suck huge rear end to have to check every single POI every single operation.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If it wouldn't be such a waste of a slot I would love to see a fire extinguisher foam orbital airburst. Mostly because it would be nice to clear out the fire left behind after fire tornadoes but also because it would be funny to see a spritz of white goo shotgun blast in from space like the orbital airburst

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BadLlama posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bdudf3/lets_talk_about_patrols_an_in_depth_analysis_of/

This is a very spergy post that goes into the mechanics based off some reddit scientists testing.

Appreciate! You're doing democracy proud! :911:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want to love the Eruptor but the slow fire rate (so no stunlock) and fact it takes 2 shots to kill heavy/rocket devs unless you get a perfect headshot has gotten me killed many times. Probably better against bugs.

Adjudicator is a gun I wish had burst fire but some reason does not. Going full auto feels like a trap, you can kill a devastator with body shots but it takes a full mag. Weirdly, can hurt strider legs but not their base. I would have sworn they have the same armor. Definitely bring recoil armor and crouch if you want to use it. Berserkers are your worst nightmare.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 11, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Appreciate! You're doing democracy proud! :911:

yeah the overall takeaway is yes, it feels like patrols increase as the map goes on, cause they do increase the spawns as you destroy stuff. that makes sense, since the bots would send dudes to investigate the noise.

however its not enough to like, deliberately avoid blowing stuff up since normally the benefit of getting rid of nearby outposts way outweighs a couple extra patrols wandering the map.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Hakarne posted:

The Eruptor makes me erupt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoTsZd2TSD8

in my pants.

I read that you should aim for the front target in a group for maximum splash and that seems to work well. The sights seems to be dead-on accurate, so Super Earth can actually issue sights with proper alignment! Also it's fantastic at peppering the inside of a dropship... no need to shoot it down if you just kill everything inside!

This may be one of the most satisfying guns I've ever used in a game. It's so, so fun

I'm so deeply conflicted on it. The AoE and damage are huge - you can fire into a dropping ship and get 10 easy kills - but the handling is SO bad.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah the main thing to take away from that post is that almost nothing matters re: increasing patrols when compared to completing the primary objective. You will basically never notice the other increases from 'heat' and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was crushed to discover that despite all its drawbacks Eruptor can't eyeshot hulks. That would make the Eruptor/MG loadout a fun change of scenery.

It can kill tanks if you can hit the top of the turret though.