Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

This goes back to my “For some reason monk gets constantly excused from the this is too easily abused” discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that's because the stuff that makes sense to have house rules for isn't "this is too powerful," but "this requires engaging in repetitive/tedious behavior for a big reward" or "this obviates a bunch of gameplay."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've beaten Honor Mode three times now and I've never felt the need to have a buffbot at home. You get OP enough just from your own characters and the stuff you find in the world that I've never felt the need to metagame it that much.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

"no vendor theft" is a good example, because if you use it, you basically obviate the entire game economy and consumables, and in return you get to hop in and out of camp a bunch of times. without it, the economy is fairly nicely balanced, and you'll need to choose merchants to increase attitude with, and either sell extra consumables or be very fastidious about loot to afford all the good stuff. I like that. others may think it's a good trade because they find managing money and consumables tedious. which it is will determine if "no vendor theft" is a good house rule for them.

"no monks" is not a good example because that's just a class.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Respec to monk so you can have infinite free actions and obviate the action economy behind the Iron Throne. This just seems like different flavors of ice cream to me. This can also be expanded to the action economy behind the games combat in general. You destroy the big bad in one round. I destroy their pockets in one round.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you'll just have to make subjective decisions about which house rules make the game more fun for you and which don't.

edit: much like you have to make subjective decisions about which flavor of ice cream to get.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 10, 2024

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why aren’t there any good fire spells after wall of fire? Feels bad respeccing to a lame ice sorcerer after act 2

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It hurts but you just have to learn to accept, in your heart of hearts, that getting a free transmuter stone is cheating.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yep. and if you steal from vendors i'll beat you up irl. do not deviate from how i play the game

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

There are very good Fire abusing items like the Hat of Pyro Quickness or Hat of Fire Acuity though. Combined with Mind Sanctuary you could become a fireball barrage.

Snake Maze posted:

It hurts but you just have to learn to accept, in your heart of hearts, that getting a free transmuter stone is cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmryAVUoL8&t=152s

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 10, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mzbundifund posted:

Why aren’t there any good fire spells after wall of fire? Feels bad respeccing to a lame ice sorcerer after act 2

Flamestrike rules but you gotta be a Cleric or Fiend Warlock only!!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

You can upcast fireball or scorching ray for increased damage. Scorching ray especially is a great upcast

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

feller posted:

You can upcast fireball or scorching ray for increased damage. Scorching ray especially is a great upcast

Just to stack on-hit effects? A level 6 scorching ray does as much damage as chain lightning which hits everyone on the board and can double from Wet, and the single-target damage is nowhere near Disintegrate.

Pyroquickness hat was underwhelming since the self-burn just pops concentration and cancels walls of fire immediately. Fire acuity hat felt pointless since you have to waste a turn casting scorching ray to benefit from it and I got my spell save DC high enough that most enemies fail their saving throws without having to waste a turn to get acuity up.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Just to stack on-hit effects? A level 6 scorching ray does as much damage as chain lightning which hits everyone on the board and can double from Wet, and the single-target damage is nowhere near Disintegrate.

Pyroquickness hat was underwhelming since the self-burn just pops concentration and cancels walls of fire immediately. Fire acuity hat felt pointless since you have to waste a turn casting scorching ray to benefit from it and I got my spell save DC high enough that most enemies fail their saving throws without having to waste a turn to get acuity up.

Didn't you say you're a sorceror? Just quicken the scorching ray, if all you care about is the acuity. I do agree that heat is bad and don't use that helm on my casters

You can stack a lot of extra bonus damage per ray that makes it do a lot more ST damage than CL

feller fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 10, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Here is my understanding for the pyroquickness hat as long as you aren't playing on Honour Mode.

Fiery Return: When you deal Damage Types Fire damage with a non-cantrip spell, you Burning Burn yourself and gain an additional Bonus action this round.

Mind Sanctuary:Sculpt a magical nexus that allows those within to take actions and bonus actions interchangeably

You open up with Mind Sanctuary then use scorching ray with your bonus action (the order is backwards if you have the awakened status) then you cast fireball and get a bonus action so you cast fireball then you get a bonus action so you cast fireball then you get a bonus action so you cast fireball then you get a bonus action.

I don't know if this works with scrolls but other items work with spells known like that illusion ring so lets say you stole 88 fireball scrolls...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
drat now that’s degenerate.

But is unlimited power worth ugly vein face

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mzbundifund posted:

As long as you have enough clown makeup, yes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mzbundifund posted:

mods

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zodium posted:

yep. and if you steal from vendors i'll beat you up irl. do not deviate from how i play the game

What I take from vendors is worth far less than the freedom I will give to them by defeating all the bad g--

oh shitfuck, he saw you pickpocket dude, shoot him in the face!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

solo hm run attempt #2 almost just ended to another double crit, this time from gandrel. drat that guy hurts. 60 hp just went away like that. very happy i went shield of thralls for my first illithid power right now or i'd be very dead.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
After not killing him on my last run I'm now firmly on team don't kill him so I wish he'd smoked you

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Zodium posted:

solo hm run attempt #2 almost just ended to another double crit, this time from gandrel. drat that guy hurts. 60 hp just went away like that. very happy i went shield of thralls for my first illithid power right now or i'd be very dead.

Solo HM is rad, particularly if you aren't super cheesing it with some dumb build. It's the Sone Soup of our modern era.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Theres some really interesting dialogue if you have Astarion talk to the Gur camp in act 3, havent seen anyone else mention it.

He has such a good storyline.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Finished my first playthrough of the game, 10 loving 10.

So now I'm looking for mods to add in a load order and i think I found the #1 absolute must have for Astarion in particular,

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think, rules as written, guns should get sneak attack damage. There's even listings for damage for example firearms in the Dungeon Master's Guide

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think, rules as written, guns should get sneak attack damage. There's even listings for damage for example firearms in the Dungeon Master's Guide

They're just an exotic ranged weapon that works almost exactly like a crossbow. Nothing special about them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hella initiative points for sure. I can easily edit the files for that.

With bonus attack rolls if it's an automatic weapon.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Loel posted:

Theres some really interesting dialogue if you have Astarion talk to the Gur camp in act 3, havent seen anyone else mention it.

He has such a good storyline.

It never occurred to me to fight that dude in act 1. I always enjoy the super awkward Astarion encounter and move on.

Reading the wiki it is funny that you can buy all his arrows and potions and poo poo that he would otherwise use on you

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you do kill that guy in Act 1 his crossbow gives you advantage against all monstrosities, which is like the one you can buy from Dammon but even better because now you have two! And most of the important early Act 1 fights have monstrosity-type enemies.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I always get the hunting shortbow, but killing him gives me 40 experience points and for that gandrel must die

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MariusLecter posted:

Finished my first playthrough of the game, 10 loving 10.

So now I'm looking for mods to add in a load order and i think I found the #1 absolute must have for Astarion in particular,

Oh come on, we don't need SMG in every thread.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lobok posted:

Oh come on, we don't need SMG in every thread.

Myrkul "I am an immortal god, no weapon forged by man can stop me!"

Shadowheart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDXqXLF7ls4

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ok but obviously I have no problem with RPGs in the thread.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

exquisite tea posted:

If you do kill that guy in Act 1 his crossbow gives you advantage against all monstrosities, which is like the one you can buy from Dammon but even better because now you have two! And most of the important early Act 1 fights have monstrosity-type enemies.

Handy for the beginning of the Orin arc as well since the advantage transfers to your melee attacks.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Clarste posted:

They're just an exotic ranged weapon that works almost exactly like a crossbow. Nothing special about them.

The Forgotten Realms should have matchlock firearms like Pillars of Eternity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The whole story would fall apart instantly if Astarion had an AK-47.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

lol

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Snake Maze posted:

The Transmuter in the actual 5E rules can give their stone to whoever they want iirc.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zodium posted:

I'm not doing a solo, but honor mode doesn't mess around. Dror Ragzlin can do, if I'm doing math right, main hit 1d10+5 (6-15), martial advantage 2d6 (2-12), absolute power 1d6 (1-6), second attack 1d10+5 (6-15), and then repulsor 1d6 (1-6). That is 16 - 54 before critical hits. He will use reckless attacks to give himself an advantage if he misses. And don't you dare heal/buff an ally near him, or else every enemy near him gets a free action surge with his 1d4 leadership aura bonus damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

SlimGoodbody posted:

The Transmuter in the actual 5E rules can give their stone to whoever they want iirc.

The limitation was afaik was attunement and you couldn’t have multiple effects with the same “type” so you couldn’t kill 3 transmutation wizards for your Lich big bad unless you changed some things.