Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Oxxidation posted:

recommend The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. among other things it goes into detail on how the Golden Age of superheroes was a response to the sociopolitical tensions around WW2 (and to a lesser extent how it degraded into the Silver/Bronze Age as that influence ebbed)

Ahhh more book recs. Thank you, it's on the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And aside from the subject matter, Chabon is just a great writer overall. Thoroughly enjoyed everything I read of his, from superhero stuff to adventure to real life drama/relationship. I even read a literary review of his the other day that was just so erudite and effusive in its praise that I desperately need to read that other writer's work now because of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My personal conspiracy theory is that between all the streaming and pay reasons for the last strike and writers rooms basically being slowly killed across the country, it's actually somewhat intentional that half of Disney's output keeps generating endless arguments. We all know that outrage and anger gets people coming back to fight more than actually enjoying something. I don't think that they planned to do this from the beginning but the fact that everyone constantly keeps arguing over worst Marvel/Live Action Disney/Star Wars movie is probably fine with them.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Lobok posted:

And aside from the subject matter, Chabon is just a great writer overall. Thoroughly enjoyed everything I read of his, from superhero stuff to adventure to real life drama/relationship. I even read a literary review of his the other day that was just so erudite and effusive in its praise that I desperately need to read that other writer's work now because of it.

Gentlemen of the Road fuckin owns.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Arist posted:

I distinctly remember that AC1 at launch was considered decent but incredibly repetitive and threadbare. AC2 was the game that really set the world on fire, and people will sometimes look back on 1 fondly given what the series has turned into, but it wasn't immediately particularly outstanding, no.

Yep that's my recollection too. I liked AC1 a lot despite its flaws and sensed that I was in the minority. And then yeah AC2 realized the promise of AC1. And then Ubisoft kept rehashing that formula, I was sick of it by Revelations and when AC3 failed to revitalize it I was done.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Lobok posted:

Wholly agree, which is why I was excited when I heard he was heavily involved with the first season of Picard, despite not being a big Star Trek fan. Didn't turn out all that great, though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGW6IAqWIAA

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

RareAcumen posted:

My personal conspiracy theory is that between all the streaming and pay reasons for the last strike and writers rooms basically being slowly killed across the country, it's actually somewhat intentional that half of Disney's output keeps generating endless arguments. We all know that outrage and anger gets people coming back to fight more than actually enjoying something. I don't think that they planned to do this from the beginning but the fact that everyone constantly keeps arguing over worst Marvel/Live Action Disney/Star Wars movie is probably fine with them.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure they'd rather be blithely selling Baby Yoda and Spider-Man toys to children than having a thousand angry incels making videos about how it's a travesty that Mary Jane is black now and Luke Skywalker is too woke (Skywoker?)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Anyway as I slog through Immortals of Aveum I've noticed a few fun design similarities with Divinity Original Sin:

-you play as a generic human wizard fighting against creatures called 'the void'
-extremely bland plot about good wizards vs evil wizards propped up by decent puzzle-like combat system
-abysmal gear and crafting systems
-a lot of 'funny' quips that mostly do not land
-there is a cave level where you are chased by invincible magic statue men and your only option is to run from them
-they both get a little better when you get to the snow level. Do I just like snow levels?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I bought Helldivers 2 on PC. This game is so stupid. I love it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I played a bit more of Immortals and I they just really didn't care about this story making any kind of sense. They drop a "FIVE YEARS LATER" just to make kind of a lame joke, but then - huh? Apparently during five loving years my character didn't find a single piece of gear (other than the new cosmetic outfit and haircut) or learn a single new spell? And what about the speech right before that "We are losing this war! Desperate Times Etc." then five years later the war is still going on? Guess you weren't losing too bad then huh?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Five Years Later joke was very clearly someone's darling they were unwilling to kill, which is fair because it's the one good joke in the entire thing.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Do I just like snow levels?
I had a year where it seemed like I was only watching stark snow movies and tv shows. Fortitude. Thing. Terror. All the other bad Antarctic/Russian/Canadian/Scandinavian horror crap. Shining. Marketa Lazarova. Fargo. It took me a while to catch on to my habit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Vikar Jerome posted:

The fallout show decanonized new vegas lmao todd still shook (or they hosed up all the dates and references, which looks more likely but still)

How

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arist posted:

Welcome, Defender of Libery

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am trying not to spoil myself on anything, but I saw someone mention to Rope Kid on Twitter about how they killed off one of the factions from New Vegas or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't really care if the show "decanonizes" New Vegas unless it means that bethesda is delisting the game and actively destroying copies of it lmao, even if Obsidian were contracted to develop another one I think they'd figure something out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it neither canonizes nor decanonizes it and it’s just another take on the fallout concept with no implications for any other installment

Or are we just not allowed to have one-off media these days

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The fallout timeline is that the US got nuked and then a bunch of weird poo poo happened afterwards

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

Good job solider, now go spread some libertea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0EEeti7Vw

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Lol at people panicking about the Fallout rumours.

I've played the Fallouts back when they were new (minus F76) and it looked and felt like another Fallout to me. Probably some details were wrong, but that's fine.
Show definitely got some dates wrong to fit perfectly for canonical timeline, which internet quickly escalated to #NewVegasErasure.

Tiny spoilers about season 2 teaser at the end of the season:
We got some nice view about a character walking toward New Vegas, so it definitely is canon.
Probably some details about the place will be changed, which is fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched the first ep and it’s pretty drat enjoyable surprisingly

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's really good. Sat down to watch one episode and ended up watching three in a row. Looking forward to seeing the rest over the weekend.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'm watching episode 3 right now and I'm not sure why some people are so upset.

It's pretty good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm watching episode 3 right now and I'm not sure why some people are so upset.

It's pretty good.

All I'm really seeing is universal acclaim.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A few grumpy corners of the internet will always be upset about anything related to bethsofts version of fallout. A few angry 40 year olds. Otherwise it seems universally beloved.

I liked the first episode a lot. I don’t really have much experience with the games, but the show on its own seems very promising.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Bugblatter posted:

A few grumpy corners of the internet will always be upset about anything related to bethsofts version of fallout. A few angry 40 year olds. Otherwise it seems universally beloved.

I liked the first episode a lot. I don’t really have much experience with the games, but the show on its own seems very promising.

The show actually captures a lot of the feel of Fallout 3 and especially 4.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sounds bad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A damning condemnation.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah they should've gone for the feel of Fallout 1 and had it take the mc 10 minutes to kill a rat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Bethesda Fallout and I've played a drat lot of it but I can't say I have ever held it in super high regard. The aesthetic, the writing etc. It's fine. I don't have a strong opinion on it. But I will say that what they did with the show sort of impressed me regardless.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I would rather have to play Dragon Age 2 than Fallout 3 or 4.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it is pretty stupid though. but so is the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I would rather have to play Dragon Age 2 than Fallout 3 or 4.

Who cares.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That was better than most TV shows I've seen in the last few years. I am not an expert.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 12, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've seen people say the tone is uneven and not serious enough but the comedy doesn't seem that far removed from a lock picking rad scorpion or exploding brahmin to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

I've seen people say the tone is uneven and not serious enough but the comedy doesn't seem that far removed from a lock picking rad scorpion or exploding brahmin to me.

I don't think those people have played any of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

JBP posted:

I haven't seen that.