Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
:geno:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
We evolved with the drat plants why are we still subjected to this poo poo, I need a refund please

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
plants do be dumping sperm into the air

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

freeedr posted:

I never watch a movie without reading the Wikipedia summary first

I have a coworker that actually does this. People are fuckin weird man.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

AcidCat posted:

I won't read the full summary but I'll skim parts of the description and maybe a touch of the summary. The brain is really good at picking out a few key words subconsciously and I can usually get a feel for whether I'll enjoy a movie or not without actually learning anything about what happens in it

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is unhinged.

Ok.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

AcidCat posted:

I don’t know what part of that made you think I wasn’t serious

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Most things aren't worth watching, may as well find out if it is first

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I don't understand why some movies exist. Like that "Irreversible" mentioned upthread- what's to be gained from sitting down with popcorn to watch a person be brutally assaulted for like an hour? Is it for people with profoundly traumatic lives who need to work through some stuff, or for people who have maybe stubbed their toe once and are curious what this whole "unhappiness" thing is?

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
That which doesn't kill you just kind of fucks you up

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Art is supposed to make you feel emotions. Not all emotions are positive. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath seriously fucks up my brain every time I read it, but it's worth it. Think of it like eating a hot pepper, or getting a tattoo. The pain is part of the process, but it's a safe pain. A pain you know will end.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Art is supposed to make you feel emotions. Not all emotions are positive. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath seriously fucks up my brain every time I read it, but it's worth it. Think of it like eating a hot pepper, or getting a tattoo. The pain is part of the process, but it's a safe pain. A pain you know will end.

All pain ends eventually. No need to expose yourself to more of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best part of going to the movies is being really uncomfortable and having your day ruined.

Unironically

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
When I turned 18 my mom wanted to surprise me with a birthday party so she asked my girlfriend to take me to a movie so she could set up. We saw Shindler’s List

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best part of going to the movies is being really uncomfortable and having your day ruined.

Unironically

Same as reading your posts!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

All pain ends eventually. No need to expose yourself to more of it.

Exposing yourself to pain allows you to learn about it, and yourself. As someone who's got some really traumatic poo poo in their past, reading about similarly traumatic poo poo allows me to pull up those memories and work through them. It makes a safe place in my mind where I can handle analogues of my pain and look at them from other perspectives until I am able to face my actual issues directly.

I'm sure it has different uses for different people, but at least for me it's kind of therapeutic.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I just watch stuff recommended by people I trust, that way I avoid most duds and also most neurodivergency trying to speedrun art

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I got into the habit of reading the synopsis of movies on Wikipedia because I got loving tired of everyone being really loving poo poo at describing the movies they're trying to tell me to watch

Like a movie where the whole basis it's on a space station and there's a space ship suddenly turn up but they describe it with like "and this guy is an office worker but for lasers!" and it's not even loving relevant.

Like seriously people can be so loving terrible at describing why I should watch a thing, often forgetting basic poo poo like genre. If you tell me about a movie I should not need to seek clarification of "so is this a comedy or a thriller or romcom or what?"

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
Deranged behavior

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't understand why some movies exist. Like that "Irreversible" mentioned upthread- what's to be gained from sitting down with popcorn to watch a person be brutally assaulted for like an hour? Is it for people with profoundly traumatic lives who need to work through some stuff, or for people who have maybe stubbed their toe once and are curious what this whole "unhappiness" thing is?

Irreversible has more going on than just the shock value. The reversed timeline makes the mundane relationship drama scenes after the tunnel scene have a quality I don't remember seeing in any other movie.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Whatever, as long as you don't read the IMDB page at me while I'm trying to watch it. I hate people who do that.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Oh and YOU'LL NEVER GUESS about the huge twist at the end that shows where they really are!! I know you hate spoilers so i won't say anything though

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Powerful scene if 5-10minutes stretches out to an hour in your memory.

What's to be gained by watching people do anything really? Personally I would find watching only Air Bud and Air Bud equivalents extremely boring.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Scratch Monkey posted:

When I turned 18 my mom wanted to surprise me with a birthday party so she asked my girlfriend to take me to a movie so she could set up. We saw Shindler’s List

A post production supervisor friend of mine had to watch reel 3 of Schindler's List 6 times in one day when he was Q.C.ing the film for Amblin. This should probably be in the Schadenfreude thread.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The General posted:

What's to be gained by watching people do anything really? Personally I would find watching only Air Bud and Air Bud equivalents extremely boring.

George Mallory famously said, when someone asked him, "Why watch Air Bud?"

George Mallory posted:

“People ask me, 'What is the use of watching Air Bud?' and my answer must at once be, 'It is of no use.' There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little about the behaviour of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron... If you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this movie and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to live. That is what life means and what life is for.”

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The General posted:

You should watch MVP: Most Valuable Primate.

E: Only once.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Rascar Capac posted:

How else are we going to find out who the real cannibals are?

the real cannibals are the friends we ate along the way

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MVP: Most Valuable Primate (2000, d.p. Glen Winter) is a harrowing examination of the depths of human depravity and man's inhumanity to man (and chimp) and I don't blame anyone for only seeing it once.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

credburn posted:

George Mallory famously said, when someone asked him, "Why watch Air Bud?"

Gotta say eating is a big part of life for me

And there's no rule says I can't eat that dog

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Shard posted:

Funny Games

Ha, I've watched the original and the English version.

Only once each though.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hm, interesting twist to let the bad guys have superpowers. Or was the remote magic, like Click? Another move you should only watch once

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

CloFan posted:

Hm, interesting twist to let the bad guys have superpowers. Or was the remote magic, like Click? Another move you should only watch once

Gotta say I unironically enjoyed Click

The remote was something like an angel or minor god, trying to force him to learn a lesson?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The only thing I remember is Henry Winkler crying and I will never forgive Click for it. :(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dillbag posted:

A post production supervisor friend of mine had to watch reel 3 of Schindler's List 6 times in one day when he was Q.C.ing the film for Amblin. This should probably be in the Schadenfreude thread.

Spielberg got the special effects dailies from ILM to approve via satellite while he was in Poland filming Schindler's List. Movie shoots are always a ton of work, and this one was particularly emotionally draining. He said it was a grim contrast to work on a fun monster movie after a full day of work on a drama about real life horror.

Spielberg dropped out of film school to make movies and decided to finish his film school degree via correspondence courses in the 90's. He submitted Schindler's List as a student film for one of his assignments.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
a god, inside a machine? such an idea will never catch on

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CloFan posted:

I always chuckle when he stumbles into the beyond section of bed, bath, and beyond. The rest of the movie is a mind gently caress though.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Rascar Capac posted:

How else are we going to find out who the real cannibals are?

I cannot express how hard my eyes rolled when I watched that movie and one of the literal last lines is voiceover narration saying "I wonder who the real cannibals are."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The General
Mar 4, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Spielberg dropped out of film school to make movies and decided to finish his film school degree via correspondence courses in the 90's. He submitted Schindler's List as a student film for one of his assignments.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

That day he tore his shirt and jacket because he was flexing so hard.