Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
For the record, X-Men 97 has a tie-in prequel comic that answers the biggest questions on everyone's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Hell of an x-men episode.

They should stop having galas.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

x men 97 and spider verse really cemented my belief that animation is the best venue to tell superhero stories. You can do so much more while not costing 300 million dollars.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is Marvel (and more explicitly X-Men), major character death has about as much chance of sticking as it does in Dragon Ball

Still though, that episode went from 0 to Game of Thrones in a hurry. Looking forward to seeing where things go from here

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Monaghan posted:

x men 97 and spider verse really cemented my belief that animation is the best venue to tell superhero stories. You can do so much more while not costing 300 million dollars.

ABatman being way better in cartoons than any live-action film proved that to me ages ago.

Although I vaguely wonder if Batman TAS is as good as people say or even I remember. I see so many people saying "X-Men '97 is the best animated comic cartoon since B:TAS." And I'm like...Is our benchmark for the best comic cartoon really 30 years old? Not even 20 years old like Justice League or something? I dunno, I haven't seen B:TAS in forever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BTAS absolutely still holds up, yes

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

ABatman being way better in cartoons than any live-action film proved that to me ages ago.

Although I vaguely wonder if Batman TAS is as good as people say or even I remember. I see so many people saying "X-Men '97 is the best animated comic cartoon since B:TAS." And I'm like...Is our benchmark for the best comic cartoon really 30 years old? Not even 20 years old like Justice League or something? I dunno, I haven't seen B:TAS in forever.

It depends on what you’re looking for, but BTAS is pretty close to perfect for a kids’ adventure series. Ultimately all things are of their time. I wonder if kids now would find it dated in perhaps not foregrounding emotional intelligence or relationship-building or whatever is the big development in kid shows this century.

I know BTAS had a good grasp of character and emotion for the 1990s, but I feel like it could be perceived as unrefined to someone whose benchmark is, like, Bluey or something.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BTAS can be pretty choppy and stilted in its animation and it feels a lot more juvenile now than I originally realized but when it hits the highs it truly soars and every character is like the perfect version. When I think of who Batman is and should be, it's still that guy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

NikkolasKing posted:

BTAS has some low points but most of it ranges from good to great and a whooole lot of it is *excellent*. Like Lobok just said, almost every character is like, the perfect ideal version of that character, and its influence is still felt across DC as a whole.

There's been some really great comic cartoons since, but BTAS just...hits a lot of highs and just does so much loving right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

BTAS can be pretty choppy and stilted in its animation and it feels a lot more juvenile now than I originally realized but when it hits the highs it truly soars and every character is like the perfect version. When I think of who Batman is and should be, it's still that guy.

Yeah, IIRC BTAS had an A team and B team for animation and it's usually pretty obvious which one was working on which episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BTAS is rare in that it just got every character on a level that most things don't, which is something I'd give it above Superman:TAS which is a lot of fun and nails a few characters dead on but BTAS has so many more hits than misses. Like, poo poo, we take it for granted now but Harley Quinn is such an incredibly naturally fit that her being someone from the comics was kind of taken for granted. It's hard to nail down one thing that defined a serialized character as hard as BTAS.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I feel like Superman TAS is kind of underrated at this point. It's not as good as BTAS, sure, but it's still got some pretty high highs and like you said nails a lot of the characters really well.

I wish Livewire had taken off as much as Harley did, she's a lot of fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t STAS also introduce a character or two that wound up getting transferred over to the comics?

Speaking of Superman, I’m still curious when we’re going to start getting some My Adventures S2 info

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

Didn’t STAS also introduce a character or two that wound up getting transferred over to the comics?

Speaking of Superman, I’m still curious when we’re going to start getting some My Adventures S2 info

Mercy Graves was invented for STAS I believe. Remember, Luthor's female bodyguard.

Vandar posted:

I feel like Superman TAS is kind of underrated at this point. It's not as good as BTAS, sure, but it's still got some pretty high highs and like you said nails a lot of the characters really well.

I wish Livewire had taken off as much as Harley did, she's a lot of fun.

I have also always felt Superman TAS was unfairly overshadowed by BTAS. Even still, Justice League was always my favorite DCAU series.

But speaking of definitive portrayals, I remember a long, long time ago now I wa inquiring elsewhere about if I should watch The Batman. If B:TAS perfected Batman, why watch this other show? Somebody went on a long discussion of how BTAS Poison Ivy really is...nothing. She's a sexy woman with some vines. She doesn't even look plant-like. And they subsequently made a case why The Batman's Ivy is far more interesting in basically every way.

I thought they made a good case and I agree. Ivy's relationship with Harley is about all she has in BTAS.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Livewire and Mercy Graves are the main two. There are a few others but those are the big ones.

I'm pretty sure the comics started giving Lois purple eyes as STAS did it too, and I think the comics eventually switched to using the STAS origin for Brainiac for a while?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

BTAS comparison is sound, cause if you ever listen or read some of the commentary on the episodes, a lot of them like X-men 97, is cherry picked a lot of old Batman and detective comics as inspiration for the storyboard

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It occurs to me that Genosha was the inciting incident in Emma Frost becoming an actually cool character in the comics. With Magneto and/or Gambit being apparently dead and Scott and Jean circling the drain, maybe she joins the team? That'd be extremely cool.

ImpAtom posted:

BTAS is rare in that it just got every character on a level that most things don't, which is something I'd give it above Superman:TAS which is a lot of fun and nails a few characters dead on but BTAS has so many more hits than misses. Like, poo poo, we take it for granted now but Harley Quinn is such an incredibly naturally fit that her being someone from the comics was kind of taken for granted. It's hard to nail down one thing that defined a serialized character as hard as BTAS.
Similarly, there's basically two eras of Mr. Freeze's existence in the comics: Generic Dude Who Sucks and Never Mind That poo poo, He's the BTAS Version Now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nightcrawler will probably join the team. I don’t see Emma doing the same right now unless there is a reveal like that Shaw financed the Sentinels.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I always have to give Stas some major credit for absolutely nailing the characterization of darkseid and luthor while simultaneously also getting the perfect actors to voice them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It also has probably my second favorite version of both Lois and Clark (the first being the ones from MAWS)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nightcrawler will probably join the team. I don’t see Emma doing the same right now unless there is a reveal like that Shaw financed the Sentinels.

They did show Shaw as one of the casualties and having another female character wouldn't be a bad thing. I really do hope Emma joins up, but yeah, I think Kurt is going to join for sure.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NikkolasKing posted:

Mercy Graves was invented for STAS I believe. Remember, Luthor's female bodyguard.

I have also always felt Superman TAS was unfairly overshadowed by BTAS. Even still, Justice League was always my favorite DCAU series.

But speaking of definitive portrayals, I remember a long, long time ago now I wa inquiring elsewhere about if I should watch The Batman. If B:TAS perfected Batman, why watch this other show? Somebody went on a long discussion of how BTAS Poison Ivy really is...nothing. She's a sexy woman with some vines. She doesn't even look plant-like. And they subsequently made a case why The Batman's Ivy is far more interesting in basically every way.

I thought they made a good case and I agree. Ivy's relationship with Harley is about all she has in BTAS.

The Batman is just a really fun show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Brave and the Bold was also fun (I like that they were so committed to the old school feel that they even used the original Bugs Bunny design on the WB logo)

Beware had potential and I like that they primarily used the lesser known members of Batman’s rogues gallery but it got killed before it really had a chance to make something of itself

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

They did show Shaw as one of the casualties and having another female character wouldn't be a bad thing. I really do hope Emma joins up, but yeah, I think Kurt is going to join for sure.

Shaw was injured, but I don’t think he died, as he was right next to Madelyn on the triage and I doubt she died.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The Batman had a dope vs Dracula movie.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the Batman vs. Ninja Turtles was a weird one

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vandar posted:

Livewire and Mercy Graves are the main two. There are a few others but those are the big ones.

I'm pretty sure the comics started giving Lois purple eyes as STAS did it too, and I think the comics eventually switched to using the STAS origin for Brainiac for a while?

Even Grant Morrison thinks it’s the best version of Brainiac.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shaw was injured, but I don’t think he died, as he was right next to Madelyn on the triage and I doubt she died.

That was Dazzler. Maddie looked like she got vaporized. It's also hard to say if everyone they showed on the beds were dead or not but they're casualties regardless. They very clearly showed Callisto dying at least.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shaw absorbs energy, right? So he should be alive?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't believe how perfect of a pull that Ace of Base song was for that episode. Perfect for the time period. Perfect lyrically for the event in the episode. Hell it even mentions time travel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I can't believe how perfect of a pull that Ace of Base song was for that episode. Perfect for the time period. Perfect lyrically for the event in the episode. Hell it even mentions time travel.

I'd never heard that song before and thought it was an original song for the show but was like "that kinda sounds like Ace of Base" and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it was them at the end credits. It's a great song that fits so much about the show and that moment perfectly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

Shaw absorbs energy, right? So he should be alive?

He absorbs kinetic energy in the books, basically gets stronger the more you beat the poo poo out of him with your hands or a blunt instrument. Not sure if that applies to lasers the same way it does with Bishop or the like half dozen other 90s mutants with energy absorption powers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just to kind of put a list together:

Cameo/supporting characters who are 100% dead:

Callisto
Banshee
Marrow

Probably dead but maybe shenanigans:

All the Morlocks with Magneto
Maddie

Injured/Possibly dead:

Moira
Sammy
Shaw
Dazzler

They're okay!:

Boom Boom
Nightcrawler
Glob
Pixie

And I think that's it. If they weren't put here (Exodus, Emma, etc.) then we didn't see them during or after the attack so status unkown

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's no way Magneto's dead

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

I'd never heard that song before and thought it was an original song for the show but was like "that kinda sounds like Ace of Base" and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it was them at the end credits. It's a great song that fits so much about the show and that moment perfectly.

I'm gonna guess the scene was written with that song in mind because it seems highly unlikely someone would pull something so lyrically on the nose like that. Like I said it even mentions time travel right as Maddie gets the vision before Cable shows up. Like I'm not sure you could have written an original song more perfect for that scene.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is X-Men so I’m not 100% convinced Gambit’s death is going to stick either (hell, technically Xavier’s still alive too unless they retconned that part. It’s just that none of the main cast are aware of it)

Granted that still doesn’t take away from the impact of the episode however

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 12, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

it doesn't matter to me if they all come back thru time travel fixing
i think it still delivers the weight that they all did die in one timeline, of the tragedy that could have been

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean Cable was already trying to fix it and said "Not again!" like he'd done it before and failed. I fully expect it to be lessened so some of the dying characters don't die, but probably not completely halted. We'll see. Doesn't change the impact the episode had in the moment which is what really matters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's a shame Exodus was just a cameo really, he could have been really helpful given that he is the most powerful telekinetic in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

The Batman is just a really fun show
[/quote

[quote="Larryb" post="538893824"]
Brave and the Bold was also fun (I like that they were so committed to the old school feel that they even used the original Bugs Bunny design on the WB logo)

Beware had potential and I like that they primarily used the lesser known members of Batman’s rogues gallery but it got killed before it really had a chance to make something of itself

I agree with all these takes. Beware the Batman deserved better.