Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Frionnel posted:

I just don't see sliders or buttons as really too different, besides people getting riled up that Johan was once again unprofessional and smugly called out his fellow devs for a minor creative difference.

We don't know how the game plays, how much you have to use the sliders or even how the automation feature works. Like, i agree that steps of 0.1% is too much but would be perfectly satisfied with steps of 1%.

it is precisely as important as to whether its called byzantine or the western roman empire.

by which I mean it is incredibly important and my opinion on the name is right and others are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
there’s literally 0 choice in a slider based tax system. you would literally just find the Optimal Value and that’s that. boring zzz

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
there’s literally 0 choice in a button based tax system. you would literally just find the Optimal Value and that’s that. boring zzz

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

“oh you can always pick suboptimally and roleplay” okay then fuckin make those the options instead of a weird analog slider

I even like the idea of super flexible tax policies this is just the worst way to do it!!

Fight me irl!!!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

GrossMurpel posted:

there’s literally 0 choice in a button based tax system. you would literally just find the Optimal Value and that’s that. boring zzz

that’s right, that’s why Victoria 3’s system of being able to shift classes impacted by taxation policies, as well as benefit more from rural, vs urban cash, plus friction from moneyed elites, is just an optimal choice machine

oh whoops your point is bad!! Suffer the consequences and play two more Victoria 3 campaigns in penance

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The dev diaries have mentioned that there will always be a drawback whenever you move the slider. That could be made interesting. It certainly wasn't in EU3, which is my only reference. I haven't played MEIOU&Taxes so i don't know what they do, but it seems to be another of their influences (the third and final being Imperator).

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Frionnel posted:

The dev diaries have mentioned that there will always be a drawback whenever you move the slider. That could be made interesting. It certainly wasn't in EU3, which is my only reference. I haven't played MEIOU&Taxes so i don't know what they do, but it seems to be another of their influences (the third and final being Imperator).

MEIOU and taxes has a whole class system in, it whips rear end (and runs like garbage).

I’m open to the idea that I might be wrong with this particular implementation, but the implication posters are making that sliders==more viable options is not correct

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Radia posted:

that’s right, that’s why Victoria 3’s system of being able to shift classes impacted by taxation policies, as well as benefit more from rural, vs urban cash, plus friction from moneyed elites, is just an optimal choice machine

oh whoops your point is bad!! Suffer the consequences and play two more Victoria 3 campaigns in penance

but what if we kept those mechanics but replaced the 5 position low/high tax button with a slider

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Do we even know enough about how everything comes together to know if the system is dumb or not?

If there was some sort of system where you could tax the nobles more for an extra 2 ducats a month vs taxing them less and they would instead develop a province they have power in based on where your slider is positioned it could at least give you some sort of decision to make there. Do I want to be richer vs do I want them to develop more for me?

Maybe it doesn't work that way at all but I could at least see systems where the "Optimal Slider Value" is going to be different depending on what you are trying to do.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

but what if we kept those mechanics but replaced the 5 position low/high tax button with a slider

then that’s bad ui!!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Let's have some innovation in this bad boy. It shouldn't just be a toggle for whether the Roman Empire is called it's correct name, or the ERE, or the Byzantine Empire, but if you pick the exonym settings to get Byzantium, it should also call the HRE the Kingdom of Germany, France can be Frankia the whole game etc.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

PittTheElder posted:

Let's have some innovation in this bad boy. It shouldn't just be a toggle for whether the Roman Empire is called it's correct name, or the ERE, or the Byzantine Empire, but if you pick the exonym settings to get Byzantium, it should also call the HRE the Kingdom of Germany, France can be Frankia the whole game etc.

you say that like it’s a bad thing

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

what if I could tell the game that I want to deficit spend at around say 5% of GDP and it auto adjusted taxes or construction speed to stay close to that target so I didn't have to micro that and instead I just could focus on the grand strategy in my grand strategy game

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

The Kingdom of Germany was not synonymous with the HRE, hell, it wasn't even synonymous with the German-speaking parts of the HRE. It should be called the Empire of the Franks, or as a parallel to the Byzantine Empire, the Aachenine Empire.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's no choice in games, the truly optimal move is not to play.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Kingdom of Germany was not synonymous with the HRE, hell, it wasn't even synonymous with the German-speaking parts of the HRE. It should be called the Empire of the Franks, or as a parallel to the Byzantine Empire, the Aachenine Empire.

Gotta get in with saying The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor roman, nor an empire, nor a the, nor ovirus, nor

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 11, 2024

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

They should replace the ERE name option with a slider that goes from Byzantium to Βασιλεία Ῥωμαίων.

Radia posted:

MEIOU and taxes has a whole class system in, it whips rear end (and runs like garbage).

I’m open to the idea that I might be wrong with this particular implementation, but the implication posters are making that sliders==more viable options is not correct

The important thing with a slider is less that it gives more viable options and more that it allows for "floating" options. You usually want picks similar to what V3 has - minimum, low, medium, high, maximum. But if the middle-of-the-road option is dependent on a floating variable, like in this case estate satisfaction, then you need either a slider or for the discrete choices to have that baked in. But then another player might not want that - for another player the floating point might be the gross income made, like "I want to run x ducats positive balance even if it pisses my estates off somewhat". Sliders let you do that. It's fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The true solution is to call the Constantinopolitan state Romania, the Italian location "Roma," and reserve the term "Roman Empire" for the formable.

I'd be good with the HRE being "Das Reich (Deutscher)" or if that's a bit too sensitive in its echoes, "Imperium (Germanicae)," "Heiliges Römisches Reich," or simply "The Empire," and HRE for short.

If there are multiple claimants to Roman-ness, that gives a really fun condition for forming the classical formable: state needs to have a "Roman" claim, and no other state may possess a "Roman" claim (i.e. no HRE and no Romania, and maybe no other states in the Roman zone are of Imperial rank).

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

this roman empire derail is so tedious because we all know the proper name is دولت عليه عثمانیه

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A slider for how many Romes can be active at once

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Every possible Roman successor state should be called Rome, including Wales

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The player should be able to rename all states in single player so they can make the decision as to who is Rome.

(No one. No one is Rome.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Formable Judean People's Front, please

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Formable Judean People's Front, please
Surely you mean splittable?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Rename Byzantium to The Wholely Roman Empire.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Taxes should be as high as possible for a given state's ability to enforce its will on its subjects. "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy".

What are you gonna do about it, rebel? Declare independence? Overthrow your rightful king?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Enjoy posted:

Taxes should be as high as possible for a given state's ability to enforce its will on its subjects. "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy".

What are you gonna do about it, rebel? Declare independence? Overthrow your rightful king?

so said Charles I of England, who very much wished that he had some tax sliders

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Vizuyos posted:

so said Charles I of England, who very much wished that he had some tax sliders

Head on/off toggle?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Groke posted:

Head on/off toggle?

perfect use for a slider though

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

StashAugustine posted:

Every possible Roman successor state should be called Rome, including Wales

I absolutely love that there are Welsh king lists which start have a bunch of random nonsensical Latin titles as people's names in the "30+ generations ago" section, because people remembered that those things were associated with powerful people but the meaning of the words were totally lost.

They also have poo poo like kings being descended from Julius Caesar and / or Jesus :v:

p.s. sliders bad don't do sliders. Discrete options with major differences between them are just more interesting.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Actually, sliders good, hope this helps

feller
Jul 5, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

:hmmyes:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No I know, that's just what the Romans generally called it from the Ottonians forward. Exonyms for everyone!

Aachenian Empire would be hilarious though. Johan please make it happen

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

All Empires are now named after their home regions.

Londonian Empire. Columbian Empire. Beijingian Empire. Tokyoen Empire.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Sliders and sets of buttons are both fine, they're basically the same experience anyway. What I don't like is when the game makes you reconfirm your actions on a timer, like the Spanish Flu event in Vicky 3 that makes you go into your decisions every six months and pick whether you want a full, partial, or no lockdown, or the artifacts in CK3 that degrade over time unless you go into the menu and keep restoring them.

I just don't want to have to do busywork. Why do you have to manually promote every general and admiral in Vicky 3? Why not just auto-promote the generals I've picked until they can cover the capacity of the army they're assigned to? More game mechanics should be like merchants in EU4 where you can set them once and not think about them again until you actually have a reason to change your strategy.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
One of the major issues with Vicky 3 is not enough sliders.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Franks spoke frankish, a germanic language.
"France" speaks "french", a romance language.

The Franks were from modern day Belgium.
"France" does not control Belgium.

The Franks were polytheists.
"France" is christian.

Therefore, the true successors of the Franks are the Flemish. Rename France to Lutetian Kingdom.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 12, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What about buttons to move a slider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I've never actually eaten sliders. Are they common in the US? How large are they normally, compared to a regular burger? How many would a person eat in one sitting? If you order them at a restaurant, do they all have different toppings, like a little sample selection of the different burgers on the menu?