Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

I was in... 10th grade english class when a bunch of seniors ran up and down the halls screaming the verdict.

This was basically what happened in my high school when Dave Chappelle ran off to Africa and the third season of Chappelle’s Show was dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I vaguely recall my mom and grandparents being unsurprised by the verdict as a kid. I was 6 or so, so my memory of it it pretty hazy. As an adult though my mom and I did get on the subject and she said she wasn't surprised, not because of Rodney King or racist cops but because the abusers in DV relationships usually don't get punished. Lotta personal experience in there that probably colored her expectations. My grandparents were the "well racist cops, also Marcia Clark was bad and rich people usually win out" train.

I think the big event I have a clear memory of from early childhood is the Oklahoma City bombings or Waco.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OJ's acquittal was the first big court case in a generation in which LA cops were exposed as mega racist incompetents and they didn't win anyway. OJ was presumed innocent by a ton of people who made the pretty reasonable presumption that everyone the LA cops persecute should be presumed innocent because of how corrupt and poo poo they were, and so there was this big emotional investment in his innocence that didn't go away even as that farcical trial piled up evidence that couldn't be dismissed as being planted fabrications.

My own take is that OJ was definitely guilty, but that it was important for a guilty man to go free because the cops and the prosecutors actually have to follow rules and not be a pack of corrupt racist evil shitbags when they investigate and prosecute cases and when they don't, they can't be allowed to get convictions anyway. I don't think we have to coyly pretend OJ was innocent to stake out that position and defend it. It just needs to happen a lot more, like over and over again, until cops and prosecutors are universally forced to follow the laws that are supposed to constrain their abuses.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, all the racist cop bullshit that happened to OJ happens to hundreds of black men every day, many of whom are likely innocent and none of them have the financial resources OJ did.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1995 was a crazy year; the Oklahoma City bombing, OJ verdict, Selena murdered, Windows 95...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Someone at work got caught with alcohol in their truck and wasn't fired because it was an illegal search. And one of my coworkers, who's in his twenties actually said "if it's illegal and going to be thrown out, why do cops do it?"

And I just had to sigh. Kid isn't even white.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Freaquency posted:

I was in a meeting when someone got the notification on their phone that OJ had died. Everyone spent a few minutes talking about what they were doing when they heard about the Bronco, and then I dropped an “I was six” into the conversation and they all got real mad at me :whitewater:

I'm sorry to anyone that missed out being old enough to follow the Bronco chase on TV at the bar like I did.

I mean, it was an 18 and over bar but that just dates me even more that those still existed

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
We had those as well, and never in the history of being in the 18+ bar did anyone 21+ buy us liquor, nope. Not once.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I wish my father would tell me where he hid the family atomics

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I found a live grenade in our weapon safe after my dad passed away. I had no idea it was in there. Fun surprise.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I found a live grenade in our weapon safe after my dad passed away. I had no idea it was in there. Fun surprise.

So… what did you blow up with it?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Where else are you supposed to keep your live grenades??

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Cleaning out my hoarder gun nut grandpas after he died was fun. Move a stack of newspaper and find a rifle. Move some Tupperware and find a 9mm.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Where else are you supposed to keep your live grenades??

If you were my grandpa anywhere was fine I guess

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

fartknocker posted:

So… what did you blow up with it?

I called the Fire Department and gave it up. :(

I was never great a throwing frags

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Kalli posted:

I was in... 10th grade english class when a bunch of seniors ran up and down the halls screaming the verdict.

i was in 9th grade and it was during my lunch period

so many people in my lily white school cheered the verdict

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Now flashbangs, hell I throw those in my kitchen

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My grandpa sold us his shotgun (but then hid the handgun he used to kill himself) and it's definitely been customized and has his initials in it. My girlfriend is the one who likes shooting, not me, so I didn't think much of it until she pointed out all the work done on it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
If you wanna see Conan almost kill himself watch the new hot ones. It starts off slow then holy poo poo

https://youtu.be/FALlhXl6CmA?si=EzP0WYwayO_M_5W8

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I vaguely recall my mom and grandparents being unsurprised by the verdict as a kid. I was 6 or so, so my memory of it it pretty hazy. As an adult though my mom and I did get on the subject and she said she wasn't surprised, not because of Rodney King or racist cops but because the abusers in DV relationships usually don't get punished. Lotta personal experience in there that probably colored her expectations. My grandparents were the "well racist cops, also Marcia Clark was bad and rich people usually win out" train.

I think the big event I have a clear memory of from early childhood is the Oklahoma City bombings or Waco.

Oklahoma City, Waco, and USS Iowa, and the Boston Marathon bombing all took place on my sister's birthday (April 19). Columbine took place the following day (April 20). :godwin:

April 19 is also Patriot's Day (the Battle of Lexington & Concord) which is big in New England.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Oklahoma City, Waco, and USS Iowa, and the Boston Marathon bombing all took place on my sister's birthday (April 19). Columbine took place the following day (April 20). :godwin:

April 19 is also Patriot's Day (the Battle of Lexington & Concord) which is big in New England.

Dammit, it's MY day, not Hitler's day, not weed day and certainly not Columbine Day :argh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Leperflesh posted:

Ornery and Hornery's Retirement Plan:
  • Pimpin'

Something easy would be better

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

You and your brother, circling each other in the basement wrestling setup, dukeship on the line…

May thy knife chip and shatter…

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

^^^ :laffo:

Joey Freshwater posted:

If you wanna see Conan almost kill himself watch the new hot ones. It starts off slow then holy poo poo

This is incredible

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

when he started rubbing it on his nipples I knew we had somethin special going

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Wasn't the OJ trial kinda the genesis of modern 24/7 cable news coverage?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The first Gulf War is what really propelled CNN into the public awareness that grew to the nonsense we have now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

pretty sure that and the chryon/lower third being up all the time.

I'm pretty sure they just talked about OJ continuously and anything else that happened got scrolled

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

kiimo posted:

when he started rubbing it on his nipples I knew we had somethin special going

I have nothing but respect for the man

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

The first Gulf War is what really propelled CNN into the public awareness that grew to the nonsense we have now.

I still remember watching the night vision missile launches on it in the evenings

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Qwijib0 posted:

I still remember watching the night vision missile launches on it in the evenings

Same. I was 6-7 and going to school on a military base. The patriotism was thick.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Joey Freshwater posted:

Finally someone recorded how I eat chicken wings when watching NFL football.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rectal Placenta posted:

Wasn't the OJ trial kinda the genesis of modern 24/7 cable news coverage?

it was the first like loving gigantic thing that was on all the cable networks. Judge Ito turned it into a circus when he let cameras into the court room. OJ's team played into it. It was the top story on every single news channel nightly. I remember my mom watched Inside Edition and Entertainment Tonight every single night and both shows led and close with OJ. Everything from the actual court proceedings to Marcia Clark's divorce to Marcia Clark's hair style to the clocks that Judge Ito kept on his desk were broadcast as if news stations were breaking the Pearl Harbor attacks.

It's really difficult to describe just how Big a loving Deal it was.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't think many people have seen Murderville (a random celebrity has to solve a murder where they are improv-ing while everyone else is acting from a script, one even has Marshawn Lynch for a football tie-in), but the scene with Conan and Will Arnet was probably the best in the series. Just dumping hotsauce on Conan's food while he is trying to improv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvzeysBX0CM

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 12, 2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

So is Joker 2 gonna all be in Harleys head? Like just from that scene of him passing in the hall on.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

a sexual elk posted:

So is Joker 2 gonna all be in Harleys head? Like just from that scene of him passing in the hall on.

I hope it's animated

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Pain of Mind posted:

I don't think many people have seen Murderville (a random celebrity has to solve a murder where they are improv-ing while everyone else is acting from a script, one even has Marshawn Lynch for a football tie-in), but the scene with Conan and Will Arnet was probably the best in the series. Just dumping hotsauce on Conan's food while he is trying to improv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvzeysBX0CM

The scene when they’re interrogating that guy and Conan breaks is amazing

The Christmas special when everyone comes back is awesome too. Pete Davidson was actually pretty funny too because he had no loving clue what was going on

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

kiimo posted:

pretty sure that and the chryon/lower third being up all the time.

I'm pretty sure they just talked about OJ continuously and anything else that happened got scrolled

I thought chryon prominence became standard from 9/11. Either way any big story usually fucks the public that makes another cable news decision that sucks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I don't think it was the judge that turned it into a circus. OJ Simpson was really famous and pulled a pretty wild set of stunts prior to the trial that got news networks millions of views. If there's demand for cameras in a trial, it's not the judge's fault.

The entire thing about the Rodney King video was it was played on TV constantly, otherwise the majority of the nation wouldn't have ever even heard about it. Baby Jessica fell down a well in 1987 and there was 24/7 saturated coverage of that, and between that and the Challenger disaster, CNN was already pretty well established when the OJ Trial happened.

I sat in Judge Ito's courtroom during voir dire for a day and a half for a murder trial I was summoned for jury duty for when I first came to LA, and he was super interesting and knowledgeable about the law - he just happened to be a personable individual and did a good job making the proceedings I sat through compelling. The jury was empaneled before I got interviewed, and got dismissed but I was tempted to come back and sit in the courtroom after the fact. Ito took the job seriously in 2002, at least.

fwiw I've made it to that stage in two murder trials and that one was far more interesting due to Ito's handling of the lawyers & processes, despite me vaguely knowing some of the participants in the first one due to it being in my home town when I was 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The OJ trial I felt was the first time that the 24/7 news stations had to actively fill time. They had so many people watching and so little new information that they went overboard with minutae and "expert opinions" just to fill time. The quality went way downhill (how could it not?) but I feel like that was the point where news stations stopped caring about news and focused just on viewership.