Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Obligatory joke about the helpful thought bubble making sure you know what the concept of taking photos is. The real skinny here is: huh? Mark didn't take photos. He went straight to the interview.

Also there's nothing stopping anybody from taking photos of the place? "It's hard getting..." no, Mark walked right in. You could walk right in, or up to. Drive around the perimeter, use a telescope lens or a literal telescope. Oh well, the character with informed competence continues to be awful at her job.

Mark Trail is only worth commenting on now when it gets worse and fabricating events off-screen is a new one. Forgot to do your story set-up? Uhm... nuh uh, reader!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 13, 1910)

Baron Bean(April 13, 1916)

Hoo boy.

Polly and Her Pals(March 13, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 4, 1919)

Us Boys(April 11, 1912)

Lotta good names in this one.

The Gumps(May 10, 1917)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Any Sega Pico fans in the house?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Lordy, this kid has a computer and multiple game systems. Meanwhile my wife and I are so nervous about letting our two year old use a tablet.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Safety Dance posted:

Lordy, this kid has a computer and multiple game systems. Meanwhile my wife and I are so nervous about letting our two year old use a tablet.

How is your kid drawing Pa-shi, then??

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

So the plan is to get Mark close to take pictures of Tad Crass's campus...by having him cause a ruckus so that security chases him out and bans him from going near the place? :psyduck: Are you even loving reading what you wrote here, Jules?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

You would think Estelle'd learn she should really stop inviting Wilbur anywhere after he embarrassed her in front of others by getting completely drunk in a restaurant.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

amigolupus posted:

So the plan is to get Mark close to take pictures of Tad Crass's campus...by having him cause a ruckus so that security chases him out and bans him from going near the place? :psyduck: Are you even loving reading what you wrote here, Jules?

You would think Estelle'd learn she should really stop inviting Wilbur anywhere after he embarrassed her in front of others by getting completely drunk in a restaurant.

Yeah, and then they had the epic rap battle where she dropped the mic on him

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Bone lines often occur in nature, driven by the wind and the natural magnetism of calcium. They tend to align north to south.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/22-24/52

Archie 2/6-8/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 6/16-18/77

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

I think there's something about being an early adopter, still having the idea (that living books really tapped into) that computers can be really good educational tools if you just let the kid fiddle with them. (Combined with what looks like a pretty laissez-faire parenting style on the author's part, to be fair.)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it was already weird realizing that this was a motherhood journal about a kid who should be about the same age as me, but even weirder when he suddenly has the same kind of childhood

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

2 does seem a bit young but that's me. The kids I nannied/nieces and nephews all got their tablets older: one family at 7 and 9, the other 6 and 7. By then the latter already had a Wii.

My friend has a 4 year old who has a tablet (got about 3ish?) and a cell phone that only has kid games, and she loses time on both when she misbehaves, but that's normal for kids with any toys.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mister Olympus posted:

it was already weird realizing that this was a motherhood journal about a kid who should be about the same age as me, but even weirder when he suddenly has the same kind of childhood

I wasn't surrounded by computers but I was completely obsessed with Tapa (aka Thomas the Tank Engine)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

this isn't a value judgement on anyone-especially since the things a kid has access to *now* are very different from the 90s- but it is funny seeing posts effectively going "this was literally the exact timeline of me as a child, the nostalgia...." and "we're concerned about letting our kid use a tablet" one after another

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If your burping with your hawg see a doctor jeezus

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I feel like the landscape and the kind of games available on a tablet are different from the kind of things available on PCs in the early 90s, but also I learned to read and type extremely early, and I can only imagine the edutainment software I grew up with (from about 2, just like this kid) was a benefit in that regard

parenting is complicated!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Comic Strips 2024: Is Hackensack Ready For This?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Olive & Popeye

Our Boarding House (June 15-17, 1925)

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (June 16, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (September 4-6, 1922)

And a bonus Mutt And Jeff sequence about how thoughts are things. Stupid, stupid things. (Published September 4-6, 1922 in my paper, but I'm suspicious.)

Dok's Dippy Chemical Warfare (March 5, 1915)

Little Lefty (January 30-31, 1940 (no strip published for the 29th))

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

rannum posted:

this isn't a value judgement on anyone-especially since the things a kid has access to *now* are very different from the 90s- but it is funny seeing posts effectively going "this was literally the exact timeline of me as a child, the nostalgia...." and "we're concerned about letting our kid use a tablet" one after another

I watch my nieces, nephews, and younger cousins play on their tablets or their parents' phones and I can kind of see where people would say "it's not the same as when we grew up" for a couple reasons. It is very easy for kids to get swept up in either a gacha type game or other, more predatory pay-to-win games, especially if the parents aren't checking out the games first (let's be fair, people in general suck at this, that's why there's so loving many of them). The other reason, to me, is that technology is far more ubiquitous today than it was 30 years ago. In my household the only reason we had our Macintosh was because dad needed it for work (he also had an old 486 laptop that we could play DOS games on, but usually only if we were at his office, not at home) and we didn't get a "personal computer" until late 1997. Heck, we didn't have the internet until late '99.

Honestly, I think the internet is probably one of the biggest differences, it is quite easy to find things, and find more things these days. You don't have to go anywhere to get anything, you don't have to phone and order things and wait for them to arrive in the mail (I'm still talking games). Five year old me wouldn't have been able to buy new games, but could certainly badger my parents enough to maaaaaybe get a new one every 5 or 6 months, but five year old me today could very easily download a dozen games off the app store or Google Play pretty quickly

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

None of these devices have social media, so I'm sure WARbaby will be fine

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Underground Lockdown Funnies

He Is Suffering Under The Wheel Of The Grindset As A Streamer And Must Learn To Set Healthy Boundaries

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Safety Dance posted:

I'd say the old computers and stuff of that era were more kid safe (as in helping development rather than hindering it) than todays tablets. I too would be a lot more weary letting a kid using a tablet today, than a 2 year old in 1990 something using a computer or gaming system.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 12, 2024

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

She didn't even tell him what kinds of things she was hoping he'd catch pictures of, preferring to leave it to random chance. Hope that picture of the driveway helps you solve your feral horse mystery, Lady!

Luann

Gil Thorp

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Aces High posted:

I watch my nieces, nephews, and younger cousins play on their tablets or their parents' phones and I can kind of see where people would say "it's not the same as when we grew up" for a couple reasons. It is very easy for kids to get swept up in either a gacha type game or other, more predatory pay-to-win games, especially if the parents aren't checking out the games first (let's be fair, people in general suck at this, that's why there's so loving many of them). The other reason, to me, is that technology is far more ubiquitous today than it was 30 years ago. In my household the only reason we had our Macintosh was because dad needed it for work (he also had an old 486 laptop that we could play DOS games on, but usually only if we were at his office, not at home) and we didn't get a "personal computer" until late 1997. Heck, we didn't have the internet until late '99.

Honestly, I think the internet is probably one of the biggest differences, it is quite easy to find things, and find more things these days. You don't have to go anywhere to get anything, you don't have to phone and order things and wait for them to arrive in the mail (I'm still talking games). Five year old me wouldn't have been able to buy new games, but could certainly badger my parents enough to maaaaaybe get a new one every 5 or 6 months, but five year old me today could very easily download a dozen games off the app store or Google Play pretty quickly

Games with in-app purchases are always a risk for kids -- my daughter managed to drop $70 on Littlest Pet Shop when she was seven. And of course back in the day we didn't have algorithms pushing stuff at us relentlessly, whether on YouTube or social media.

(*I* didn't have a computer until I was 10, and it was a Commodore VIC-20.)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Selachian posted:

(*I* didn't have a computer until I was 10, and it was a Commodore VIC-20.)
Ooh, we had one of those - 100kb cassette tape drive and everything! My dad wouldn't let us get a console, but we went through a number of budget early-generation PCs. (We even had a PC Jr!)

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

I've actually seen this happen - we had an estate sale when my grandmother died, saw some dude bought an outboard motor, and was making my way over to help the guy get it to his car, since I knew it was heavy as gently caress.

My (female) cousin beat me there, and the buyer pointed at me, and told her to "wait and let him handle it".

She gave him a glare that can only be described as 'you loving dumbass', immediately stands up with the motor, and walks it to the guy's car by herself.

The memory of that facial expression still makes me laugh my rear end off.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It doesn't matter what he's trying to keep the horses away from, they are an invasive species that needs to be removed anyway! :argh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

gently caress the police.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

[
Hagar the Horrible

Vikings loved to bathe and clean themselves though. So much that they were buried with toiletries. They loved it so much that being filthy was a sign of deep grief, part of the myth of the death of Baldr for example is that his brother Vale swore to not wash himself before he had avenged his death.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'd say the old computers and stuff of that era were more kid safe (as in helping development rather than hindering it) than todays tablets. I too would be a lot more weary letting a kid using a tablet today, than a 2 year old in 1990 something using a computer or gaming system.

I mostly got freaked out by anecdotes of kindergarteners who didn't have the finger dexterity to use a pencil because they played with tablets all day. I don't know when li'l dude will get something internet connected. That's a decision I'm going to have to make at some point.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

Is "give you grey hairs" an expression outside Finland? It naturally means that something is stressful or problematic and therefore will give you grey hairs. I guess it make a kind of sense?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Safety Dance posted:

I mostly got freaked out by anecdotes of kindergarteners who didn't have the finger dexterity to use a pencil because they played with tablets all day. I don't know when li'l dude will get something internet connected. That's a decision I'm going to have to make at some point.

I believe that was statistically verified in Finland by schools, a decline in manual dexterity and ability of children and teenagers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

Is "give you grey hairs" an expression outside Finland? It naturally means that something is stressful or problematic and therefore will give you grey hairs. I guess it make a kind of sense?
In english I think I mostly hear it as "give you grey hair"(singular), but that's splitting hair(s). :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

Oh yeah absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

2 does seem a bit young but that's me. The kids I nannied/nieces and nephews all got their tablets older: one family at 7 and 9, the other 6 and 7. By then the latter already had a Wii.

My friend has a 4 year old who has a tablet (got about 3ish?) and a cell phone that only has kid games, and she loses time on both when she misbehaves, but that's normal for kids with any toys.

According to WHO one year olds should not have any screening time at all. 2-5 year olds should only have one hour.