Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
shady sands was adobe huts. Junktown was people living in scrap metal sheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I came into this fairly ready to hate it, just based on how most adaptations like this go.

After 5 episodes, it feels really weird to say that I don't really have any feelings about it one way or another. It's fine? Competent? I guess some nerds are mad about lore but :shrug:

Everything is just sort of there. None of the characters have any real flaws or interesting motivations for doing anything, other than because the plot told them to.

I'll definitely finish it; maybe it perks up near the end.

Also this sounds frivolous, but I give the show a lot of credit for having Lucy put her hair back/up once she leaves the vault. If you're watching a show or movie that depicts life or death situations, and you want to quickly determine whether it takes its female characters seriously, look to see if every woman has cascading locks flowing down her shoulders while trying to line up a headshot or swing an axe.

You can't smoke fools with your hair in your face, and it's telling when a show prioritizes "hotness" over even a modicum of believability.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
How do none of the characters have any flaws? They all have flaws.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doltos posted:

Especially that whole exploding penis thing

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Doltos posted:

Sorry, for the record: "being a douche" or "I'm just a lonely loner on a lonely road" might be technically character flaws, but still, ehh.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Lucy is naive, Cooper is a psycho (that the show punked out on from near the start) and Max is mad as hell with no proper focus for his rage.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Which one is the Mary Sue ghoul

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chillmatic posted:

Which one is the Mary Sue ghoul

Her name is Martha.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Ep3 or so. What stat do we think the bobble head gave? Also shout out to Sugarfoot for not immediately bolting

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Finished watching the first season. It's good but it is also kind of all over the place. At some points it is taking itself seriously, then the next scene you have stuff you would see in a marvel comic book movie. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. The main character being super horny and naive in a world of constant death feels like a nod to the nexusmods community lol. Also, you don't spend much time in the Vault and the Vault residents' reactions to everything going on (half of their population was slaughtered by raiders, water chip is broken, and a huge leadership conspiracy) is ridiculous and borderline insulting the audience's intelligence. I was also semi-disappointed we wouldn't get to see any of original fallout locations on account of them being re-nuked, but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. At least they acknowledged them. One thing I'll say is Walton Goggins knocked his role, both pre-war and post-war, out of the park.

8/10.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 12, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I was kind of on Cooper's side until he goaded the kid to reaching.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Monica Bellucci posted:

Lucy is naive, Cooper is a psycho (that the show punked out on from near the start) and Max is mad as hell with no proper focus for his rage.

Okay but by the end Lucy doesn't seem to have become a hardened wastelander, as she's unable to kill her literal genocide-performing father (but was able to do a sick 180 no scope mercy kill on her mom) and Max's madness pretty much evaporates once he reconnects with Thaddeus and finds out Thaddeus had basically just been in his shoes and was trying to save himself from getting beat up all the time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ep 6 one-eyed Overseer guy is really really funny.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
He was on SNL for over a decade, I would hope so.

PS
Good Show

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if anything this show solves one of the biggest problems facing the NCR.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I just finished this show. The front half was fun, though I felt like I was losing interest in the back half. My gut tells me that's cause it was getting more and more referential ala ready player one, though I know that the front half was just as heavy with that.

I don't really know what the show believes though or what it has to say. Like, there's some "capitalism bad" in there, but it also doesn't give much within the show itself to argue against what the antagonist says imo. It feels a lot more like it's just 8 hours of "remember this thing from the hit franchise fallout featuring fallout 4 and fallout 76?"

Ultimately, I had some fun with it. The acting was decent to solid, the sets and props looked great. Felt like a solid 7/10 to me that left me with a feeling of "so what?"
I'm on episode 2 now and I'm already feeling like I'm losing interest, which is probably bad considering I have 6 more episodes to go after this one. I may end up not finishing this.

It has its moments and gets the atmosphere of the games right (well, the Fallout games I've played at least), but I haven't cared about a single one of these characters so far. Walton Goggins is good as usual, but I'm not invested in his character. I like him as Baby Billy in The Righteous Gemstones way more than this.

The production values are high, and they should be with all that Amazon money. In terms of TV adaptations of video games, though, this is certainly no Last of Us IMO.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

if anything this show solves one of the biggest problems facing the NCR.

(ep8)Existing? Although, yeah the New, New Calfionian Republic will have all the power it needs I guess. If any of it still exists. With how big the NCR seemed to be big though by the time of New vegas just blowing up one city and it collapsing doesn't seem to make much sense. It certainly seemed to have just a whole bunch of towns all over the place.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Sammus posted:

Weirdest thing about this show is, my boomer mom likes it. Apparently that generation thought about vault life a lot.

Same, I showed my mom the trailer a few months ago and she was super excited for it. She loves cowboys, hyper violence, disaster poo poo, and Blast From The Past is one of her favorite movies. Fallout is practically made for her

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

The post-war scenes are like the game and I could kind of turn my brain off that those parts, but the pre-war ones had a lot of intrigue and a lot of neat details. It helped flesh out how hosed the world was in reality vs. the idealism of the retro future coming to a head. They really nailed it in the introduction, especially.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dr_rat posted:

(ep8)Existing? Although, yeah the New, New Calfionian Republic will have all the power it needs I guess. If any of it still exists. With how big the NCR seemed to be big though by the time of New vegas just blowing up one city and it collapsing doesn't seem to make much sense. It certainly seemed to have just a whole bunch of towns all over the place.

well that and (ep7)has stuff with the former rangers scrounging post retirement.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chillmatic posted:

Sorry, for the record: "being a douche" or "I'm just a lonely loner on a lonely road" might be technically character flaws, but still, ehh.

That's not a really good read on any of the characters at all

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Entorwellian posted:

The post-war scenes are like the game and I could kind of turn my brain off that those parts, but the pre-war ones had a lot of intrigue and a lot of neat details. It helped flesh out how hosed the world was in reality vs. the idealism of the retro future coming to a head. They really nailed it in the introduction, especially.

The actual details in stuff is always charming (ep1)those bounty hunters having a superstition for checking whether or not a ghoul is feral with their chicken test.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dr_rat posted:

I think the NCR was always very decentralized in practice since really it was a confederation of various settlements that united around Sandy Sands. The timeline is a bit screwy since New Vegas happened in 2281 and the "Fall of Shady Sands" is in 2077, but to give them the benefit of the doubt, it may just be referring to the First Battle of Hoover Dam and the general war with the Legion that is assumed to have led to its eventual nuking since they are separate points on the timeline.

As for the show, Lucy does linger in the classroom a while, and it seems like the NCR was put in a good light. I chuckled when the Fallout 3 "location discovered" sting played when she unfurled the NCR flag. Lucy prime motive is wanting civilization to be rebuilt, and the Enclave and the Brotherhood certainly aren't it. The BoS specifically have always been assholes, but they seem particularly callous and incompetent on screen. I assume the Enclave is back to their old tricks, genocide etc etc. Otherwise, by New Vegas, the NCR was already being lead astray into becoming basically another corrupted like pre-war America...perhaps it needed a reboot or at least someone needs to provide a better option in that universe.

That said, Vault Tec was always the sleeper true evil in the fallout universe, even more than the Enclave.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Tankbuster posted:

The actual details in stuff is always charming (ep1)those bounty hunters having a superstition for checking whether or not a ghoul is feral with their chicken test.

lol that was pretty good

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Doltos posted:

That's not a really good read on any of the characters at all

You would be better off mapping those characters to 3d fallout protagonists. Lucy is the fallout 3 character, - dad leaves vault and she goes out to find him. Ghoulgins is the fallout 4 protagonist in that he is a prewar relic out to find his family which makes maximus the courier.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The power armor gripping that dude's head so tight it exploded in episode 3 was pretty cool.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
theres a lot of funny gag kills but I miss my havok physics vibrating bodies a tad.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Also all the dogmeat clones being an important high tech and long-term Enclave project was a nice sub-plot. Kind of reminds me of Dr Henry from Fallout 2/New Vegas and his cyberdog fascination.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Halfway in and fairly pleased. It's much better than I was expecting. Walton Ghoulgins is the best part as expected but I like the others too. Four more eps for them to poo poo the bed in. I did get spoiled the moment I got online today on something that makes me mad but I won't necessarily hold it against the show.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
If anything, their take on the BoS was far more egregious because they used the Discourse Version of the brotherhood which treats them as Fascist(tm)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Tankbuster posted:

the vault 4 rugpull was incredible

yeah this was great lmao up there with

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

dr_rat posted:

The show ends with the NNCR (Flame Mother edition) getting wiped out since it seems like the remnants have already accepted that the previous NCR is gone. I guess we could see a NNNCR resistance movement but there's no reason for them to exist anymore when the BoS (Caesar's Legion edition) controls a cold fusion-powered LA and is shown to be perfectly fine with wiping out a town that doesn't pledge allegiance. Considering they just wiped out most of the remaining NCR there's no reason to think they would allow any NCR towns to remain; they would all become BoS towns now (or be wiped out).

Also, on a related note, it's somewhat funny that this version of the Brotherhood apparently has no female members around? The implications seem rather disturbing ala Ceasar's Legion but they do have a high-ranking enby person apparently so I'm curious about what exactly is going on here.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 12, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ardennes posted:

I think the NCR was always very decentralized in practice since really it was a confederation of various settlements that united around Sandy Sands. The timeline is a bit screwy since New Vegas happened in 2281 and the "Fall of Shady Sands" is in 2077, but to give them the benefit of the doubt, it may just be referring to the First Battle of Hoover Dam and the general war with the Legion that is assumed to have led to its eventual nuking since they are separate points on the timeline.
(ep.8) I'm going with it was just a production fub, but if you need to head cannon, the people in the class room just got the date wrong. Teachers arn't perfect you know!!! Does bring up that NCR didn't even know who nuked them, so I guess they would of just thought Legion, as like who else would of?

Ardennes posted:

As for the show, Lucy does linger in the classroom a while, and it seems like the NCR was put in a good light. I chuckled when the Fallout 3 "location discovered" sting played when she unfurled the NCR flag.

Yeah the show was great for some of the subtle game touches refrences like that. also (ep.8)they didn't run into a single death claw. Good for them.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
My interest was piqued when this was announced, and I perked up a little more when the reviews started saying it was pretty good, and that plus Goggins meant I was mildly optimistic. The first episode was really good! Then in the credits I saw it was a Nolan brother production, and now I’m on board. Westworld got screwed up in the end, but the start was incredible, they did Person of Interest too, basically I’m in for the season because they may not be the best producer/writers out there but they know how to nail a vibe in sci-fi land.

The ending four seasons from now will probably be over complicated and unsatisfying, but they’re good for at least a couple of very good seasons.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

dr_rat posted:

also (ep.8)they didn't run into a single death claw. Good for them.

Glad they're saving that one honestly.

I kinda want to reinstall FO4 after finishing it, but I know I shouldn't.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Walton Goggins' lickin' his lips at the sight of a cock and spending all day trying to find head.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sab669 posted:

By all means, spend eight hours getting Sanctuary Hills just so and then go back to playing, I dunno, Fornite or whatever.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

koolkal posted:

The show ends with the NNCR (Flame Mother edition) getting wiped out since it seems like the remnants have already accepted that the previous NCR is gone. I guess we could see a NNNCR resistance movement but there's no reason for them to exist anymore when the BoS (Caesar's Legion edition) controls a cold fusion-powered LA and is shown to be perfectly fine with wiping out a town that doesn't pledge allegiance. Considering they just wiped out most of the remaining NCR there's no reason to think they would allow any NCR towns to remain; they would all become BoS towns now (or be wiped out).

Also, on a related note, it's somewhat funny that this version of the Brotherhood apparently has no female members around? The implications seem rather disturbing ala Ceasar's Legion but they do have a high-ranking enby person apparently so I'm curious about what exactly is going on here.

everyone knows that when the brits burnt down the white house the USA ceased to exist.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Tankbuster posted:

everyone knows that when the brits burnt down the white house the USA ceased to exist.

Is this really the best analogy you could come up with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sab669 posted:

Glad they're saving that one honestly.

Don't do it. :negative: