Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

I really do think the first series will be about an Inquisitor. Maybe a straight up Eisenhorn adaptation, maybe something original. But it's the obvious move. Your cast is mostly basically normal people, you can film it in pretty cheap and easy sci-fi sets, the plot can largely be about politics and drama instead of constant warfare, and you can have a audience viewpoint character in the retinue, somehow feral worlder or hive city urchin who gets picked up because they have a unique skill or whatever. It's the cheapest and smartest move for introducing the 40k setting to a general audience.

this would be the best way they could go, imo. and you can still have a space marine cameo in a show about Eisenhorn. hell one of the best scenes in the book is when they all go to the weird alien planet and there's a few Emperor's Children that show up. how menacing and dangerous Abnett describes them is perfect and could easily be badass on tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

It’s not random, Mawpaths are the routes travelled by nomadic Ogor tribes. So the Heartgulper Mawpath is the territory of the Heartgulper Ogor tribe.

so why not call it Heartgulper territory, or Heartgulper kingdom or duchy or Heartgulper tribe? Why use the adjective-verb-noun combination exclusively? As an outsider looking in, I'm trying to google all of this stuff to make sense, and I'm googling every loving word in a sentence because they had to rename everything

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its for never losing a copyright suit again

they got laughed out of court for trying to defend their spurious copyright on Space Marines, but Adeptus Astartes can readily be defended. (Imperial Guard vs. Astra Militarum, etc)

its banal and tiresome. No other franchise is jumping through these hoops to protect every last sentence of their IP. I tried looking up what the Stone Nautilor was, and its a giant stone shell of a Godbeast that is a fixed point :words::words::words:

I'll take a Number 4 large sized with an iced tea, please

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 10, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vampire Panties posted:

so why not call it Heartgulper territory, or Heartgulper kingdom or duchy or Heartgulper tribe? Why use the adjective-verb combination exclusively? As an outsider looking in, I'm trying to google all of this stuff to make sense, and I'm googling every loving word in a sentence because they had to rename everything

Because it’s not a kingdom or a duchy, it’s a Mawpath. It’s a specific thing with meaning in the setting. And Ogors worship the Gulping God so a lot of their terminology is going to be gastronomically flavored. If that’s not your bag that’s fine, don’t play Ogors.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

No other franchise is jumping through these hoops to protect every last sentence of their IP.

no, some do

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's not the money, or that it's below him it's just that I associate him with much more lighthearted stuff and he's kind of like a living cartoon.

Edit: this is not a bad thing. I'm tracking this down just because of this fact.

Nah I completely understand, I’m still not used to seeing him in anything dramatic. I don’t think it was the money either, probably just the thought of doing something new and interesting

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Vampire Panties posted:

No other franchise is jumping through these hoops to protect every last sentence of their IP.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vampire Panties posted:

I think this is why I dislike AoS - I can't stand the way they named things. On this map, how many things are named maw, and how many things are synonyms of eating. Yeah this is the continent of beasts which eat things I guess, but its somehow more boring than making everything Not-England. Everything has puerile adjective-based names (yeah I know 40k does the same but in Latin) For example, instead of dwarf slayers they're now Doomseekers from the Fyreslayer lodge or whatever.

the captial is Vorelandia.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
My understanding is that the VerbNouner VerbNoun naming scheme has more to do with SEO than copyright, either way it's annoying

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Vampire Panties posted:

No other franchise is jumping through these hoops to protect every last sentence of their IP. I tried looking up what the Stone Nautilor was, and its a giant stone shell of a Godbeast that is a fixed point :words::words::words:

From what I understand GW is very litigious about anyone using their IP for any reason. Usually you take legal action if someone is cutting into your profits somehow (Bill Watterson explained that they never took legal action about Calvin & Hobbes being on t-shirts or truck decals because they never did any merchandising so it wasn't fiscally prudent to) but GW takes steps to keep as much control over their product as possible, regardless of if it's a net gain or not.

I could be completely wrong though, this is mostly pieced together from rumors and stuff.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

From what I understand GW is very litigious about anyone using their IP for any reason. Usually you take legal action if someone is cutting into your profits somehow (Bill Watterson explained that they never took legal action about Calvin & Hobbes being on t-shirts or truck decals because they never did any merchandising so it wasn't fiscally prudent to) but GW takes steps to keep as much control over their product as possible, regardless of if it's a net gain or not.

I could be completely wrong though, this is mostly pieced together from rumors and stuff.

GW seems like the sort of company that would do this, but it's hard to believe that is the case in a world where Starcraft exists. Maybe they're like that now because Starcraft was so successful.

Since this thread is so full of old school 40k nerds, I'd love to hear exactly what happened there if anyone actually knows the details. I heard Starcraft was originally going to be a 40k game and was pretty far along before that fell through, so Blizzard just made the game anyways and hoped for the best. I'd say they made the minimum changes to the characters and races to make it legally distinct, but let's be honest; they did not. I've also heard that the reason we'll never get a Starcraft movie is because while GW can't or won't sue over Starcraft video games (or novels apparently) they will taken legal action against a movie.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the licensing fight was over warcraft / whfb, and theres been a warcraft movie. there wont be a starcraft movie cuz the warcraft movie didnt make money

https://kotaku.com/how-warcraft-was-almost-a-warhammer-game-and-how-that-5929161

and current blizzard is a skeleton of its former self, basically suited to making mtxn and gacha crap

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 10, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

It all goes back to GWs pyrrhic lawsuit against Chapterhouse, a 3rd party mini company. Gee-Dub claiming copyright on generic science fiction things like "space marine" and all the Tolkien ripoff stuff was effectively dumpstered / pushed into the public domain. So, in return, they went nuts renaming everything to make sure nobody could advertise Adeptus Astartes minis , plus they completely cut WHFB* and launched AoS a year later, with the aforementioned Ogor and whatnot. Gee-Dub is fanatical that if you play their game, with their rules, you use their figurines. Even bits like female marine heads, different looking chainswords, etc. will (supposedly) get you thrown out of a Games Workshop store / Games Workshop tournaments. Ofc most people play beerhammer with their friends, so they 3d print or purchase different things because they like the aesthetic better.
I don't necessarily care that they did this, but I really liked WHFB universe from the Total War games and the AoS naming scheme gives me a headache. I will admit the new AoS models are bitchin

*as other posters noted itt, WHFB was basically a dead franchise anyway, with many of the models using the original sculpts from 20+ years ago and made in pewter.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I understand Mortal Realms or whatever the old fantasy is called. AoS is confusing to me, and I don't know where to start from a books perspective.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It can't be understated how loving hilarious the GW lawsuit was. They lost so badly they had to rename everything. I'm sure someone else could explain it better than me but it is loving hilarious loving failure.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Probably the biggest takeaway I've had from the flood of 40k content that has hit me on youtube is that the state of 3d printing has advanced by leaps and bounds since I was last paying attention to it. These SLA resin printers are something else.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah it's crazy. My filament printer from a decade ago has nothing on the new resin stuff for minis. Although even the best printer can't make a bad model look good and I think the software advances are also noteworthy.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Hot take time. 3d printers are great but people who are into them vastly undersell how accessible they are for the average person because they don’t understand that tinkering around with slicer programs and optimising print supports while also troubleshooting printer issues and dealing with poison rear end resin isn’t as fun for other people as it is for them. It’s basically its own hobby.

Also while you can get great stuff out of printers it’s always the folks posting “3d printer goes brrr” that post up space marines that look like the Michelin man and go like “can’t even tell the difference from legit gw” :smug:.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sad question posted:

Master chef hosed in the show and Cortana watched it

these gordon ramsey shows are getting weird af

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Mr Teatime posted:

Hot take time. 3d printers are great but people who are into them vastly undersell how accessible they are for the average person because they don’t understand that tinkering around with slicer programs and optimising print supports while also troubleshooting printer issues and dealing with poison rear end resin isn’t as fun for other people as it is for them. It’s basically its own hobby.

Also while you can get great stuff out of printers it’s always the folks posting “3d printer goes brrr” that post up space marines that look like the Michelin man and go like “can’t even tell the difference from legit gw” :smug:.

Oh yeah, it's a significant time investment and definitely not a hobby that every lifestyle can accomodate. I think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, it's like a boat: don't get a 3D printer, get a friend with a 3D printer.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr Teatime posted:

getting easier every day tho

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

GW seems like the sort of company that would do this, but it's hard to believe that is the case in a world where Starcraft exists. Maybe they're like that now because Starcraft was so successful.

Since this thread is so full of old school 40k nerds, I'd love to hear exactly what happened there if anyone actually knows the details. I heard Starcraft was originally going to be a 40k game and was pretty far along before that fell through, so Blizzard just made the game anyways and hoped for the best. I'd say they made the minimum changes to the characters and races to make it legally distinct, but let's be honest; they did not. I've also heard that the reason we'll never get a Starcraft movie is because while GW can't or won't sue over Starcraft video games (or novels apparently) they will taken legal action against a movie.

They really both ripped off Starship Troopers (the book) and Aliens

naem
May 29, 2011

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknNsZgzG1g

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

They really both ripped off Starship Troopers (the book) and Aliens

I think there's also some Lensmen in there but that's almost cheating because of how early and influential Lensmen was to sci-fi in general.

Do Warhammer books have a list of inspirational works?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Not really but just assume that every piece of sci Fi from the 70s 80s and early 90s is in there somewhere.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

more like tyra-nads lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mr Teatime posted:

I've got a couple of friends that are huge into 3d printing. One does mainly doodads and bits for repairing things, the other does 3d figures with resin. As much as I like fiddling with nerdshit, its almost too much work. I got one that was a close out sale from a microcenter and I've made a few small things with it, but its a lot of effort.

Although I do need to print a case for my MiSTER at some point.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My personal dumbest thing in 40k lore is that they brought bone swords back. The bone swords that look like swords and are, like every weapon of the tyranids, technically a separate animal. I forget the justification for why the tyranids would have swords and claws at the same time

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

more like tyra-nads lol

Aren't a lot of what were the original Tyranids now basically the Genestealer Cult?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Benagain posted:

My personal dumbest thing in 40k lore is that they brought bone swords back. The bone swords that look like swords and are, like every weapon of the tyranids, technically a separate animal. I forget the justification for why the tyranids would have swords and claws at the same time

They ate sword dudes to made their own sword dudes who needed swords

I wonder if they grow the swords on another Tyranid who sheds them like hair

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
I've been using Scholar's Lore the last few weeks as my sleepytime listening. I have zero idea how accurate any of it is cause I'm not a nerd, but the voice is so soothing.

https://youtube.com/@Scholarslore?si=D2FFPgSwX6ZUkF6e

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Wacky colored sword waving anthropomorphic bug men!

Hello I'm the Hive Tyrant of recently devoured planet Hethgaelrit Majoris and due to a reproduction error I am currently swarming with an excess of wacky colored sword waving anthropomorphic bug men and I am passing the invasion force on to you!

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

how does the world work in AoS, as in, is it multiple realms as in planets that are connected interdimensionally or something? When I had a cursory look at it after Fantasy got blown up I didnt really get what they were trying to do. It seemed really vague

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Renreeja posted:

how does the world work in AoS, as in, is it multiple realms as in planets that are connected interdimensionally or something? When I had a cursory look at it after Fantasy got blown up I didnt really get what they were trying to do. It seemed really vague

it's like planescape but warhammer and instead of the ethical alignments there's the winds of magic

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
Also, can orkz replenish themselves faster than tyranids can eat them?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

XeeD posted:

depends upon who's on the cover of the book

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
What if they paint the spores red?

Actually, is there a non terrible youtube that plays out a tabletop game without being insufferable nerds about it?

XeeD fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 12, 2024

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

XeeD posted:

An inquisitor put this to the test once and it didn't go well

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

there was a conversation earlier about whether space marines are like ken dolls but surely the primarchs would have dicks wouldn't they? like they were basically raised like normal human kids for whatever was normal on the planet that they each landed on

Guilliman fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

geneseed is stored in the balls