Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Only on the old stuff, I looked at their new -ON things and it got very confusing, not helped by the fact their own sales guy didn't really know the product. I get the feeling that Dell make them to bundle with large server deals and don't really care otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

Do you mean Linksys or did I black out?

I probably did, bullshit that starts with an L.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gucci Loafers posted:

What if it's not a MSP but some huge F500 or a large consulting firm?

The larger the company, the more specialized your knowledge should be for any role with a specific technology. If you're applying to a 50k person company or a large consulting firm that works with 50k person companies and they say they are looking for an AD SME, they are going to want someone who knows AD quite well.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Internet Explorer posted:

The larger the company, the more specialized your knowledge should be for any role with a specific technology. If you're applying to a 50k person company or a large consulting firm that works with 50k person companies and they say they are looking for an AD SME, they are going to want someone who knows AD quite well.

That's fair but my question is as to what depth exactly? What would expect if you where hiring for someone on your team?

I'm trying to think of an example but if it's an AD Expert do you really want to memorize certain commands as task? I know there some situations where you've got to use tools like DSQuery over PowerShell or ADUC but gently caress if I know the exact circumstances or the commands off the top of my head but give a minute and I'm sure I'd figure it pretty quick.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 11, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anyone asking you to regurgitate random commands at them sucks, but you should probably have at least some comfort there if you are applying to an AD SME job. I'm not applying to an AD SME job any time soon, so I probably couldn't give you specific examples, but I'd probably want you to talk about common problems at scale or best practices that only come up at scale. Stuff like UPN rollback, how to handle time sync, how the KCC works, how sites and site links should be configured at scale, how to handle syncing to Azure AD at scale, etc. etc. I'm probably not going to ask you random commands because that will probably offend/frustrate someone applying to a role at that level and frankly it doesn't really tell me much. I want to ask you the stuff that you can't just memorize, experiences you had, problems you've solved, etc.

There are some AD experts in here, maybe they can weight in. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question? If you're not familiar with the STAR technique for interviewing, I'd use that as a framework.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 11, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The crux of my questions is kind of a nebulous "I know you want an expert, but how much of an expert?" but what you've said does help and I should probably add stuff like that to my resume. :stonklol:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Anyone asking you to regurgitates random commands at them sucks, but you should probably have at least some comfort there if you are applying to an AD SME job. I'm not applying to an AD SME job any time soon, so I probably couldn't give you specific examples, but I'd probably want you to talk about common problems at scale or best practices that only come up at scale. Stuff like UPN rollback, how to handle time sync, how the KCC works, how sites and site links should be configured at scale, how to handle syncing to Azure AD at scale, etc. etc. I'm probably not going to ask you random commands because that will probably offend/frustrate someone applying to a role at that level and frankly it doesn't really tell me much. I want to ask you the stuff that you can't just memorize, experiences you had, problems you've solved, etc.

There are some AD experts in here, maybe they can weight in. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question? If you're not familiar with the STAR technique for interviewing, I'd use that as a framework.

It also depends a lot on the title as well. Jr vs Sr, admin vs engineer. For a Mid level admin role I'd expect that even if you can't bark correct powershell syntax on command that you generally have an understanding of the shape of what's needed, even if you need a reference doc to complete it.

If you're looking at IT on the scale of a F500, expect that if they are asking for SMEs that they are pretty serious and you are probably going to get a handful of "name that command" questions. In a big enough company generally all those roles get pretty siloed off and specialized to do the handful of systems under their purview.

It's a different kind of fresh hell compared to my current life as a 2-man IT department where we have to know a little bit of everything by necessity, but it also has its advantages in the career field. Sometimes being a generalist is a specialty all on its own.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

I wish I had a job that sent me to conferences :( I love free food and lodging

its cool the first couple of times, but it gets old after the 2-3rd time attending*. All of the good/local hotels book up very quickly, and Uber/Taxi/Shuttles will be slammed from everyone else trying to get there. Same thing with the good breakout speakers /panel sessions- its all booked up in the first week. Its also a shitload of walking/standing on concrete floors, paying five bucks for a water, huddling in a corner that gets cell reception, and at least for me, they trigger the "holy-poo poo-theyre-on-vacation-time-to-blow-them-up" response from the office. Everything will be reposted on Linkedin within hours of being announced anyway

The only event I like is Infocomm, and thats purely for the weird stuff that gets exhibited in the back halls.

*I say this having attended dozens and dozens of conventions (Cisco Live! netvet :jerkbag:)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

mllaneza posted:

If it's Cisco it could be some of their bullshit rebranded Logitech switches from a decade ago!

I’m sorry…what? Logitech had network switches at some point??

Were they just rebranded switches from another company?

E: google isn’t pulling anything up on “Logitech network switch”

Thanks Ants posted:

Only on the old stuff, I looked at their new -ON things and it got very confusing, not helped by the fact their own sales guy didn't really know the product. I get the feeling that Dell make them to bundle with large server deals and don't really care otherwise.

A couple of these -ON fiber switches were included with a VXRail purchase I had a few years ago at my previous place, and they actually seemed pretty nice.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 12, 2024

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I’m sorry…what? Logitech had network switches at some point??

Were they just rebranded switches from another company?

E: google isn’t pulling anything up on “Logitech network switch”

A couple of these -ON fiber switches were included with a VXRail purchase I had a few years ago at my previous place, and they actually seemed pretty nice.

The Fool posted:

Do you mean Linksys or did I black out?

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Hotel Kpro posted:

Sucks that your career of a signal mechanic didn't work out but glad you found something seemingly impossibly fast. Getting interviewed and hired same day sounds rare in IT

Still not sure what I've really gotten into, but I'll ride this at least for a bit.

Signal tech didn't work out for a really embarassing reason. Long story short, one of the guys on the team who's been there for decades is A) A moron and B) has no sense of of self preservation, and nearly got crushed by the truck and trailer I was actively being guided to pull up bumper to bumper. Did this three times in less than 5 minutes, and I loving snapped, cussed the dude out, and very nearly got in a fist fight. One HR complaint later, I was cleared by my boss's boss's boss for a verbal warning. However, my boss's boss found a roundabout way to get rid of me by coercing my boss to give a poor performance review on work ethic, speed and efficiency, in order to sink my 3 month review below the minimum 3.0 score required, in addition to the safety/teamwork hit I was already going to take. This I know because I was "not told" with a wink and a nod by my boss who was sorry to see me go. So here I am.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

DeathSandwich posted:

Do you have BPDUguard turned on on the Cisco switches? I've seen knuckleheads shut out sections of a wired network because some goober plugged in a little Netgear switch from home so they could plug in another device and it causes the main Cisco switch to freak the gently caress out.

If you pull up the interface statuses and it's showing err-disabled it could be getting got from that direction.

I asked my boss and she said she didn't know how to access the remote management so she just pulls the plug if they stop working.

Job title: senior IT manager.

I don't think BPDUguard was a factor.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Token I'm gonna tell you this now cause you're just starting your IT journey. You can be a bitter IT person here but don't do that in person at your company.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah in real life I love poo poo sandwiches nom nom nom.

Then I process the poo poo sandwich by just being competent collecting my paychecks and strategic brown nosing until I collect bigger paychecks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's a handful of things I explain to any boss and one of them is that I'm willing to eat a poo poo sandwich from time to time, it comes with the territory, but what I'm not willing to do is eat the same poo poo sandwich over and over and over again.

Also that I'm independently wealthy and I don't need this job.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tokin opposition posted:

I asked my boss and she said she didn't know how to access the remote management so she just pulls the plug if they stop working.

Job title: senior IT manager.

I don't think BPDUguard was a factor.

To be fair to your manager, Cisco equipment is obnoxiously and needlessly complicated because it means they get to sell you the training on it. If you have certain Cisco network equipment that's command line only (and they don't have like Observium or LibreNMS set up to get a visual pane) and they didn't do CCNA/CCNP even doing basic tasks is a chore of reading through obnoxiously wordy tech documentation to figure out what you need to do.

If you want to see fresh hell, take a look at the overview of the Cisco Phone stack. You've got 3-4 major portals (Unity, CUCM, Maybe UCCX, Maybe Intelligence) and about a dozen subportals for each and they were made by different teams that never once exchanged notes on UI Design queues, or even in some cases shared language.

Edit: vvvv depending on the model, they still don't. Also you reminded me that ASA Command line is extremely similar to Switch/router but just different enough to send me into a rage. I will wake up tonight in a screaming rage about ACLs.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 12, 2024

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It was years and years before I realized Cisco switches had a gui. I’m horrible at Cisco but I can change a vlan via cli.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

Token I'm gonna tell you this now cause you're just starting your IT journey. You can be a bitter IT person here but don't do that in person at your company.

buddy i have a poker face three foot deep, trust me I'm not taking it out on users or other IT people, I vent here because I can't tell my boss she's incompetent at tech, incompetent at
people management, and incompetent at project management. At least until I have somewhere else lined up.

There's a handful of things I explain to any boss and one of them is that I'm willing to eat a poo poo sandwich from time to time, it comes with the territory, but what I'm not willing to do is eat the same poo poo sandwich over and over and over again.

Also that I'm independently wealthy and I don't need this job.

this entire job has been an endless poo poo sub that's been going into my mouth comically long like a loony toon

DeathSandwich posted:

To be fair to your manager, Cisco equipment is obnoxiously and needlessly complicated because it means they get to sell you the training on it. If you have certain Cisco network equipment that's command line only (and they don't have like Observium or LibreNMS set up to get a visual pane) and they didn't do CCNA/CCNP even doing basic tasks is a chore of reading through obnoxiously wordy tech documentation to figure out what you need to do.

If you want to see fresh hell, take a look at the overview of the Cisco Phone stack. You've got 3-4 major portals (Unity, CUCM, Maybe UCCX, Maybe Intelligence) and about a dozen subportals for each and they were made by different teams that never once exchanged notes on UI Design queues, or even in some cases shared language.

sure, but i really doubt their equivalent of "sudo reboot" is so difficult she couldn't figure it out in five years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, if you can SSH into a Cisco switch it’s trivially easy to see port status and if one is in error and to re enable.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tokin opposition posted:

buddy i have a poker face three foot deep, trust me I'm not taking it out on users or other IT people, I vent here because I can't tell my boss she's incompetent at tech, incompetent at
people management, and incompetent at project management. At least until I have somewhere else lined up.

this entire job has been an endless poo poo sub that's been going into my mouth comically long like a loony toon

sure, but i really doubt their equivalent of "sudo reboot" is so difficult she couldn't figure it out in five years.

I mean, rebooting it probably resets the ports, but the overall issue that's causing it is still there. There's probably a loop in the wiring, a misconfigured trunk line, or the office jester has plugged in a netgear switch or soho router that is trying to become the king of the internet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To agree with the previous poster, Cisco documentation is good if you already know exactly what you are trying to do. Compared to MS Learn when you're in more of a discovery mode it is terrible.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I once saw a production network where the network engineer disabled spanning tree across their entire very large office/manufacturing/warehouse. Someone plugged a little dumb hub in and brought everything down. That was fun to unravel. So even people who should know better sometimes wouldn't know what a BPDUfilter/guard is.

I don't do a lot of networking anymore because my job is mostly management/cloud, but this week I am helping the company greenfield a new office and instead of farming out the work they decided to YOLO it, and it's quite embarrassing. The onsite tech figured he could do it all himself if I was just there to assist, however he's never used a palo alto (their edge device) or ubiquiti (all their switches), had no IP allocation set up for the office, no cut sheet from the ISP, just...nothing. It just ended up turning into "Sepist configures a network". I don't mind because I don't get to do a lot of networking anymore, but man, they didn't even talk to me about this office before they sprung it on me it was getting stood up this week.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 12, 2024

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Thanks Ants posted:

To agree with the previous poster, Cisco documentation is good if you already know exactly what you are trying to do. Compared to MS Learn when you're in more of a discovery mode it is terrible.

Gotta sell those $4k intro to Cisco training classes somehow. They need to take a page out of Juniper’s playbook.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got a last minute request to image a laptop for an event tomorrow, and for some reason none of the USB drives we use to pull stuff off MDT are working. Im assuming the deployment server is acting up since we have been transitioning to new hardware in the server room,, but none of the folks who could check are in the office -_-

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The reason we ended up supplying Meraki switches is because it proved impossible to get our techs to understand BPDU guard, STP, other things that you might want to use to protect a network, they could just about turn up and plug things in so that's all they have to do now.

At least if they do something wrong now or need help I can remain firmly sat on my rear end and do it all in the dashboard.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gucci Loafers posted:

That's fair but my question is as to what depth exactly? What would expect if you where hiring for someone on your team?

I'm trying to think of an example but if it's an AD Expert do you really want to memorize certain commands as task? I know there some situations where you've got to use tools like DSQuery over PowerShell or ADUC but gently caress if I know the exact circumstances or the commands off the top of my head but give a minute and I'm sure I'd figure it pretty quick.

AD SME with a large corporation here

What we look for is deep understanding of how AD works. It's not hard to use AD, manage users, groups, GPO's, things like that. We have a team of 11 Senior level "engineers" managing our extremely busy and heavily used AD environment most of us have north of 15 years experience. We run into things at our scale that most folks don't have to worry about.

Interview questions usually revolve around explaining the various FSMO roles and their importance. How things like RID pools work, troubleshooting replication issues, what happens if a domain controller dies and can't be demoted properly. Some of the guys on my team do some trivia style questions. I prefer open ended questions about any sort of odd issues with AD they ever ran into. Things like Kerberos double hop, Kerberos token size limitation, troubleshooting high load, powershell automation, etc.

Our interviews are actually pretty short. 30 to 45 minutes for the technical part, just want to get a feel for someone that knows what they're talking about and has a deeper level of understanding about AD than most. That's plenty of time for us to sus out if someone knows their poo poo or not. No one is going to walk in the door and hit the ground running, so we worry about foundational knowledge more than anything. They're going to have to learn the way we do things here anyway.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

The reason we ended up supplying Meraki switches is because it proved impossible to get our techs to understand BPDU guard, STP, other things that you might want to use to protect a network, they could just about turn up and plug things in so that's all they have to do now.

At least if they do something wrong now or need help I can remain firmly sat on my rear end and do it all in the dashboard.

:laffo:

We're migrating to Extreme (using Fabric Connect), and our techs are still struggling a bit with the (near total) topology freedom we get with Shortest Path Bridging :haw:

I had to tell them today - "just plug it in, you CANNOT gently caress anything up" when they were reconnecting an IT switch that was forgotten about in the remodel at our location. We haven't even found the APs yet, so that'll be fun...

Got a mail an hour later with "YAY IT WORKS" so the cafeteria has internet for their PoS poo poo in time for the reopening on Monday :eng101:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

for anyone that deals with certs, and even if you don't

poster in the yospos secfuck thread wrote up a really good timeline/summary on entrusts recent fuckery that is absolutely worth checking out

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887592&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=923#post538893911

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

skipdogg posted:

... Things like Kerberos double hop ...

My favorite purple teaming tool when there is no constrained delegation.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We've had a massive OneDrive sync issue the last few days, and they directed traffic through a DR site. It wasn't working and we eventually nailed it down to 2 things. A route filter wasn't inplace on one thing, which would have directed that outbound traffic back into the network. Which is bad.
But, it wouldn't matter as the team that runs the firewall had put in static routes that pointed it at the wrong IP anyway.

I think I might have more then 1 beer tonight.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tokin opposition posted:

:barf:
I do not like this image.
Surely hope you can get to a better place.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

:laffo:

We're migrating to Extreme (using Fabric Connect), and our techs are still struggling a bit with the (near total) topology freedom we get with Shortest Path Bridging :haw:

I had to tell them today - "just plug it in, you CANNOT gently caress anything up" when they were reconnecting an IT switch that was forgotten about in the remodel at our location. We haven't even found the APs yet, so that'll be fun...

Got a mail an hour later with "YAY IT WORKS" so the cafeteria has internet for their PoS poo poo in time for the reopening on Monday :eng101:

I wish we had looked at their stuff, I like how that sounds. But we had some managers who didn't even want to look.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

DeathSandwich posted:

Its because Cisco didnt make those products, they bought out the company making them. Selsius became CCM (now CUCM), Activevoice Unity became Unity Connection, Tandberg VCS-Control/VCS-Expressway is now Expressway-C/Expressway-E, Acano became Cisco Meeting Server, Broadsoft became Webex Calling, etc. I think the only brand names they retained were Webex and Jabber.

All of these companies have ran as tiny fiefdoms inside Cisco and nobody has ever bothered to make them a unified platform. Any sort of integration/development was always reactionary & needed for a specific big customer.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Anyone else on Google Workspace have an issue in the last week or two where invitations from Office orgs aren't being added to the calendar?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vampire Panties posted:

Broadsoft became Webex Calling, etc. I think the only brand names they retained were Webex
On it and :puke:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Any CLI is confusing if you aren't used to it, but Cisco's is decent and not all that confusing. It gets annoying when they have separate platforms (IOS, IOS-XE, IOS-XR, NX-OS...), which tend to be similar in syntax but different in important ways, and I despise their documentation. But generally it is perfectly fine, and nearly everyone who does networking knows their way around it because it's such a standard.

Cisco's lack of integration of their acquisitions is a real problem. Tiny fiefdoms is exactly right, working with some of that stuff is just nightmarish. Did you know there's at least one company whose primary product is a thing to make administering Call Manager less of a pain in the rear end?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't mean to be a Cisco apologist but large companies churning through acquisitions seemingly always end up this way. I loved the Palo Alto NGFW platform but their integrations with anything in their prisma line has been a disaster and I hate having to deal with it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'd also say that while the CCNA and such obviously helps you get things done in Cisco land, generally what you actually need to do on another vendors gear is exactly the same and it's a pretty short step to work out/read the docs if you actually learned and understood the concepts of a feature or architecture rather than just the bits to pass the CCNA. Unfortunately finding techs with CCNAs is easy, finding techs that can actually think critically is much harder. Interoperability between vendors for the same loving standard can be painful but usually only because they implement different defaults that you never touched doing the same thing within a single vendor environment.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The good news: I got the info I need to get into the web GUI (and possibly telnet/cIOS but I didn't try that yet) so I can see what's what now. Won't make any changes obviously but I did find the big reboot switch button.

The bad news: the switch is officially dying so we had to do a 3pm on a Friday swap out with another switch.

The great news: I had a support session already scheduled and was then over my 40 hours, so I got to leave when they were in the middle of swapping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At least you had a spare switch I guess?