Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Ultimate X Men had a decent issue where there's a kid that develops the power to involuntarily vaporise anyone near him and Wolverine gets sent to just kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Ultimate X Men had a decent issue where there's a kid that develops the power to involuntarily vaporise anyone near him and Wolverine gets sent to just kill him.

couldn't they just use a sniper or a drone strike?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shard posted:

But I dont think many people would have liked an issue of ultimate X-men that didnt have any X-men in it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shard posted:

They didn't want the humans to know about it.

A huge part about being an X-man is covering up the crimes of other mutants.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SiKboy posted:

But I dont think many people would have liked an issue of ultimate X-men that didnt have any X-men in it.

There must be a mutant called Drone whose powers either involve drones or are completely unrelated to drones of any kind.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

There must be a mutant called Drone whose powers either involve drones or are completely unrelated to drones of any kind.

maybe they meant dull/boring and droning on, much like your posting

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
T... turn your monitor on!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Fil5000 posted:

Wolverine is pretty bummed out about the whole thing too, which, understandable.

It's pretty easy to find the issue online, it's reasonably well known and a good quick read.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wolverine as angstily taciturn psychopomp is one of the best forms of Wolverine. A lot better than a grumpy old man calling everyone bub and raging out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Maggot kinda had drones. God, how was MAGGOT a main character for any length of time?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Thus demonstrating the overall theme of x-men, thst people who are different from you will kill everyone you know and love

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Grendels Dad posted:

He has a swarm of male bees that hump targets to death

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They didn't want the humans to know about it.

A huge part about being an X-man is covering up the crimes of other mutants.

Mutants are cops

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I think Nick Fury was also helping with the cover up, which was "the chem plant had a leak".

also I think the last time this kid with the death field or death stink came up, most goons said that the minority metaphor breaks apart and power registration acts are "okay" given how some powers are just public hazards.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

That ties into a IIMM for Xmen 2 where Iceman's mother (IIRC?) asks him if he's tried not being a mutant. I get that they're doing an allusion to homosexuality, but I hate that bit because homophobia is irrational while in universe fear of mutants is completely understandable given the power levels of people like Magneto. A random gay dude isn't an existential threat; someone that can kill you by thinking at you is.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Marcade posted:

That ties into a IIMM for Xmen 2 where Iceman's mother (IIRC?) asks him if he's tried not being a mutant. I get that they're doing an allusion to homosexuality, but I hate that bit because homophobia is irrational while in universe fear of mutants is completely understandable given the power levels of people like Magneto. A random gay dude isn't an existential threat; someone that can kill you by thinking at you is.

Xmen 1 starts with the fearmongering bigot senator asking in a speech, "What if a mutant with the power to walk through walls walks through the walls of the White House to assassinate the president?"

Xmen 2 starts with a mutant with the power to teleport through walls teleporting through the walls of the White House to assassinate the president.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I call em muties

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

More like OldKittyPrideless.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kitty Pride is famously racist.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FreudianSlippers posted:

More like Kitty Prejudice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Illegal Hen

FreudianSlippers posted:

A jewish woman being racist? Sounds like the realm of fantasy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The 'Media that didn't age well' thread was subtitled 'Pryde and Prejudice' for ages

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Phanatic posted:

They could drug her up and have Colossus throw her at things.

Was there ever, like, a really fat guy whose mutant power is being able to run as fast as a normal person?

I guess Cipher was at least technically useful at times.

Wild Cards had a founding hero with the power to control his weight. Named "Fat Man" his gimmick was he was a big fat guy but was able to weigh as little as ten pounds and do floaty Luigi jumps.

There was another hero with jizz powers (became like professor X during no nut November, could also ressurect dead ppl with his jizz or give sex partners goku powers by nutting in them). JRR Martin is a weird guy.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

HopperUK posted:

The 'Media that didn't age well' thread was subtitled 'Pryde and Prejudice' for ages

It's still "more like Kitty Prejudice". Makes me laugh every time.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Great Lakes Avengers has Big Bertha, who is a big lady who beats up people and then throws up to become a slender supermodel.

It's... problematic at best.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

FreudianSlippers posted:

What's the story behind this? I must have missed it, I don't follow Xmen stories much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ommin posted:

What's the story behind this? I must have missed it, I don't follow Xmen stories much.

She's not actually racist but there are panels of her using slurs to equate them to anti-mutant prejudice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

Sentinels are basically drones

There was one kid with technopath powers who had an Iron Giant riff going on with a Sentinel

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

In the new Godzilla movies when Godzilla is not on screen, all the other characters including the monsters should be asking where’s Godzilla

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
tbh most of the time the humans are asking that

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They should shoot it like Jaws and spend the first 75% of the movie not actually showing Godzilla, just everybody's reactions.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Someone help me out with this. People keep saying that the asteroid attack in Starship Troopers was done by the humans because propaganda and it's crazy to assume the bugs would be capable of that. When they talk about this they never mention the scene where the asteroid (or is that a different one??) pops out of hyperspace (or something) and almost smashes a troopers starship.

What's the point in smashing the starship with no witnesses, they could just make it disappear in other ways and then claim the bugs did it if they're just gonna lie for propaganda. Or was it an accidental almost hit because the genius pilot that barely dodged the asteroid that they couldn't have planned for also changed their route which they couldn't have planned for so that there was a witness for the asteroid being real that they couldn't have planned for?? Why bother launching the asteroid from so far away if nobody is gonna see it, or why even use a real asteroid at all anyway and not just nuke Buenos Aires from orbit and claim it was an asteroid (which some people online claim happened but also doesn't quite fit with the phone call scene)

So call me crazy but the following points kind of made sense to me when I saw it as a kid and on still do rewatching the movie later:

we have no reason to believe the humans can send poo poo into hyperspace (or something) without bigass engines the asteroid doesn't have

there are psi powers in this setting

the bugs are more advanced than thought

there are bugs that are giant brains

:tinfoil:

I don't know guys, one of the two options sounds a lot more likely to me and it doesn't seem to be one that's popular online

on rewatching the scene I suppose it's never stated that the asteroid was in hyperspace (or something) and I may have misinterpreted what's shown on the screens? But it very much looks like it to me, and for it to suddenly show up and then be so slow would be hard to explain otherwise.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've always seen it interpreted less as "the Federation did it" and more as "the Federation allowed it to happen to get people behind the war effort" which was also prescient for 1997~

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

I've always seen it interpreted less as "the Federation did it" and more as "the Federation allowed it to happen to get people behind the war effort" which was also prescient for 1997~

Yeah, but that's only because time is a circle. I imagine there are always going to be conspiracy theories about such things, like the ones about Pearl Harbor.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Someone help me out with this. People keep saying that the asteroid attack in Starship Troopers was done by the humans because propaganda and it's crazy to assume the bugs would be capable of that. When they talk about this they never mention the scene where the asteroid (or is that a different one??) pops out of hyperspace (or something) and almost smashes a troopers starship.

What's the point in smashing the starship with no witnesses, they could just make it disappear in other ways and then claim the bugs did it if they're just gonna lie for propaganda. Or was it an accidental almost hit because the genius pilot that barely dodged the asteroid that they couldn't have planned for also changed their route which they couldn't have planned for so that there was a witness for the asteroid being real that they couldn't have planned for?? Why bother launching the asteroid from so far away if nobody is gonna see it, or why even use a real asteroid at all anyway and not just nuke Buenos Aires from orbit and claim it was an asteroid (which some people online claim happened but also doesn't quite fit with the phone call scene)

So call me crazy but the following points kind of made sense to me when I saw it as a kid and on still do rewatching the movie later:

we have no reason to believe the humans can send poo poo into hyperspace (or something) without bigass engines the asteroid doesn't have

there are psi powers in this setting

the bugs are more advanced than thought

there are bugs that are giant brains

:tinfoil:

I don't know guys, one of the two options sounds a lot more likely to me and it doesn't seem to be one that's popular online

on rewatching the scene I suppose it's never stated that the asteroid was in hyperspace (or something) and I may have misinterpreted what's shown on the screens? But it very much looks like it to me, and for it to suddenly show up and then be so slow would be hard to explain otherwise.

You do realize when Rico says he’s from Buenos Aires and to kill them all, he’s not talking about the bugs?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said before but it's implied the so called psychics in Starship Troopers are glorified state sponsored palm readers.

the holy poopacy posted:

They should shoot it like Jaws and spend the first 75% of the movie not actually showing Godzilla, just everybody's reactions.

That's also already a shitload of Godzilla movies.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
They should stage it like Waiting for Godot.

Waiting for Gojira.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said before but it's implied the so called psychics in Starship Troopers are glorified state sponsored palm readers.

Doogie Houser could communicate telepathically with his ferret, though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Doogie Houser could communicate telepathically with his ferret, though.

The Ferret was telepathically communicating with him obviously. If the spacefleet or what ever it's called, was more competent the SS pys corp would of been just Ferrets, but bigotted space humanity wouldn't allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

I think Nick Fury was also helping with the cover up, which was "the chem plant had a leak".

also I think the last time this kid with the death field or death stink came up, most goons said that the minority metaphor breaks apart and power registration acts are "okay" given how some powers are just public hazards.

I dunno if the powers being deadly makes registration acts "ok" but yeah for sure, if you're using mutants as a metaphor for the persecution of minorities, then it DOES fall down because there's no reason whatsoever to be afraid of people with different sexuality, skin tone or religion to you. There IS reason to be afraid of the guy who has to wear special glasses or he'll fire unstoppable beams of force out of his eye sockets, or the various people that can accidentally read your thoughts.

Actually have comics ever got into how destructive powers interact with the second amendment?