Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

The nuke was a coup de grace. We don't know what the canonical ending of FNV is because the show isn't there yet.

You are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Even with the ending with the divide nuking, you can’t be this far behind in tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tech works exactly like in Civ.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

tech works exactly like in Civ.

I’m glad you don’t work in television but you post in cspam like the rest of us

Edit: it’s like technology information dies with one nation instead of spreading I just can’t with your dumb posts

Oh no what is this tech from another faction! Ignore it people are dumb in fallout. They have no engineers!

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 12, 2024

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I love fallout New vegas and I like this show, it's good and fun and it's not like there's gonna be another good fallout game again anyway

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rabid Snake posted:

Edit: it’s like technology information dies with one nation instead of spreading I just can’t with your dumb posts

I want to dump your books

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

BB2K posted:

I love fallout New vegas and I like this show, it's good and fun and it's not like there's gonna be another good fallout game again anyway

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

BB2K posted:

:hmmyes:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BB2K posted:

Show is good on its own standings but the last part hurts and yes it’s true

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Rabid Snake posted:

Show is good on its own standings but the last part hurts and yes it’s true

It has been all downhill after Fallout 1.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just saw episode one, it’s rare to see an adaptation by people who just love the thing. Hopefully we’ll see more ideas that aren’t in the original.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked the show quite a bit with the big caveat that I wish it was set literally anywhere other than California. I'll have a better writeup tomorrow but it's 1am.

Highlights were Ghoulggins, the Vault 33 storyline and Maximus being a general dumbass.

The best way to describe the show is that it is a Bethesda Fallout story if it was written by literally anyone other than Emil Pagliarulo. This is generally a big positive.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 12, 2024

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

BB2K posted:

Yeah :same:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

It's been posted already, but I can't tell you how much this brought a smile to my face at the end (major spoiler):

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Rabid Snake posted:

Oh no what is this tech from another faction! Ignore it people are dumb in fallout. They have no engineers!

yeah how come they didn't just use the FEV to grow lisa simpson sized world hunger ending tomatoes after fallout 1? Fallout explicitly talks about technology being lost after the great war. The brotherhood's initial job was just reintroducing it to the wasteland at a controlled pace because people would otherwise misuse it. Technology resources and the lack thereof make up a major part of how different people in the wasteland get by.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 12, 2024

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

yeah how come they didn't just use the FEV to grow lisa simpson sized world hunger ending tomatoes after fallout 1?

Yea you aren’t even arguing in good faith for fun for a franchise we enjoy. Like a fun “let’s talk about lore”. You’re just being a dick

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Entorwellian posted:

It's been posted already, but I can't tell you how much this brought a smile to my face at the end (major spoiler):

Major spoiler? Out of context that is tiny little wafer thin spoiler at best.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the character in the place is introduced in said episode and is clearly being set up for the next season.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

Yea you aren’t even arguing in good faith for fun for a franchise we enjoy. Like a fun “let’s talk about lore”. You’re just being a dick

Some people keep framing it as an argument about the minutia of lore and the importance of Canon or remaking a game but no, I just think that as entirely narrative decision it's a weirdly almost spiteful one that makes the setting and story smaller without much good benefit.

Cutting a lot of threads with a hacksaw.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Rabid Snake posted:

my point was that rebuilding things would always be difficult in an actual post apocalypse, especially one that says that resources were on the verge of destruction. I can see it handwaved away in service of story because the setting isn't hard sci-fi but vibes based - but arguing over what is realistic is a fools errand.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont even think the idea itself is that bad, my main problem with it comes down to the execution and general portrayal of things that the show goes for. It serves its function but in a messy, less interesting way than it could have gone. It's not about the details or about the why, but about how it happened.

How something is described or presented is as important as what that something actually is. A good idea presented badly can damage the intended meaning.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont even think the idea itself is that bad, my main problem with it comes down to the execution and general portrayal of things that the show goes for. It serves its function but in a messy, less interesting way than it could have gone. It's not about the details or about the why, but about how it happened.

How something is described or presented is as important as what that something actually is. A good idea presented badly can damage the intended meaning.

It's taking a running narrative thats a small bit complicated and squishing it into a flatter simpler shape in a very sudden way, a lot gets lost in the process that could have been great content.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

my point was that rebuilding things would always be difficult in an actual post apocalypse, especially one that says that resources were on the verge of destruction. I can see it handwaved away in service of story because the setting isn't hard sci-fi but vibes based - but arguing over what is realistic is a fools errand.

This ignores everything what I said and also many others who responded to me. I’m not gonna fall for bait again so I won’t respond again

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dongicus posted:

Looks like poo poo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Some people keep framing it as an argument about the minutia of lore and the importance of Canon or remaking a game but no, I just think that as entirely narrative decision it's a weirdly almost spiteful one that makes the setting and story smaller without much good benefit.

Given this is framed as being in continuity -- essentially a sequel -- I think it's not even really about framing it in terms of "lore". It's just story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Turn on ur monitor

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

BB2K posted:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Sharkopath posted:

It's taking a running narrative thats a small bit complicated and squishing it into a flatter simpler shape in a very sudden way, a lot gets lost in the process that could have been great content.

Yeah I agree with both of these points. The broad idea of the major change to the setting is fine, but it just seemed to be done in a bit of an off handed not very intresting way, and it seem like it was possible done just to keep the setting simpler, which at the point just set it somewhere else. But yeah honestly It's I find it to be a pretty minor thing. Over all I liked the setting, charcter's and tone. The main idea for the plot was bit 'eh, but I liked the charcter stories and arcs which is usally more important for these sort of adventure/comedy/ post apocalyptic western type things. Also the pre-war back story stuff I thought was nicely done. A good mix of happy 50's Americana and the undercurrent of everyone knowing things are actually really hosed and the worlds possibly about to end at any minute.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sharkopath posted:

Cutting a lot of threads with a hacksaw.

This, pretty much.

Canon sounds important, but isn't really relevant. Todd was entertaining retirement in interviews for his space game. Whoever replaces him, now or later, could be retconning left and right for all we know. What matters is if the story we're getting right now is fun and good.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I'm two episodes in and enjoying it so far. The little poo poo like the guy getting blasted by someone with a Junkjet was great

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
It's absolutely gorgeous and whoever is in charge of special effects, both practical and CGI really uses all their resources to their fullest potential.
Like,drat, the power armour in particular really *feels* strong and heavy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Enjoyed the show overall. (All eps) I also think blowing up the NCR offscreen is loving stupid--the fall of the NCR isn't a problem, the problem is that's an interesting story and just yadda-yaddaing it away is the worst way you could possibly handle it. Not a huge fan of the retcon with the cold fusion thing either but whatever.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Dr.Smasher posted:

I'm two episodes in and enjoying it so far. The little poo poo like the guy getting blasted by someone with a Junkjet was great

I enjoyed this memberberry too, probably because I think the junkjet concept was one of the genuinely fun and novel ideas in the Beth games and it is too butt ugly to make into merch.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the games they make have fun and novel ideas that don't gel very well with the story they are telling. Lucy's character is just the protagonist from Fallout 3 but she could emote about finding her dad better than me wandering off away from megaton because for some reason I saw the crapshack first.

Its so cool the show just added loverslab tier poo poo and it was actually horrifying.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Michael Rappaport content should come with a warning

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Am I the only person who saw FIRST CAPITAL OF THE NEW CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC on the Shady Sands billboard? (e5 about 23 minutes in.)

They presumably had another one after that.

Or still have.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

moths posted:

Am I the only person who saw FIRST CAPITAL OF THE NEW CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC on the Shady Sands billboard? (e5 about 23 minutes in.)

They presumably had another one after that.

Or still have.

Possibly but (e8) it does seem like the NCR is at least gone from the area. While the last group was flying the NCR flag at the battle in the end, no one around seemed to know they were looking to represent the NCR. They were just known as this well known criminal group run by a well known criminal lady. As the next season -if there is hopfully a next one- seems like it might be set in or around New vegas or what ever is left to it, might see some NCR remnants. ... I swear to god someone better not of randomly of nuked Goodsprings too. :argh:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Finished it.

Show good.

actually excited to see what's going on in New Vegas. Hope House is still kicking about. Looks probably the NCR won Hover Dam II, then ate some nukes. Seems like they moved Shady Sands closer to LA?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Art direction was fine, direction and photography was flat and action was inept.

No Ron Perlman saying "war...war never changes" what the hell

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just finished the season. I really enjoyed it. Sucks for the weirdos who let some of the details ruin it for them. I think they knocked it out of the park. I'm not a big lore buff, I just think the fallout universe is cool. Can't wait for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I got a solid laugh with the computer hacking into the Overseer's being literally the puzzle from the games at one point.

Pretty solid season, and it did precisely its job of leaving me wanting more.