Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

I would like to think that the myth that "Lieberman killed the public option" died when he did, but I guess that's not the case. Max Baucus, chair of the Finance Committee & who was given the task of creating the Senate ACA bill by Obama, killed the public option in committee; it never got a floor vote in the Senate (by design).

Lieberman voted against lowering the Medicare age to 55, which was as opposed by the health-insurance industry at the time as the public option was (and currently is), but for some reason the notion that Lieberman "killed the public option" is on up there with teflon myths like "Obama voted against the Iraq war."

(I'm ready for my posting punishment, Mr. DeKoos, but as my longtime D&D fans know, this has been an issue close to my heart, and I cannot let such myths prevail among meaningful debate & discussion.)

https://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/27/health.care/index.html

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/49912-baucus-advances-without-public-option/

Rest assured Willa we're all truly fascinated that you still hateread D&D while being unable to get basic information straight, which must truly be frustrating for your evident ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Baucus voted against a public option in committee & neither story says otherwise, only that Baucus used the threat of a filibuster as a reason to preclude it from the Senate bill:

quote:

His bill will not include a government-run insurance option to compete with the private sector because “a public option cannot pass the Senate,” Baucus said.

The public option is a core provision for Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and liberal members, and was approved by three House panels and the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee.

It was not approved by the Senate Finance Committee, the committee charged with writing the ACA, which is what I said. Baucus's reasoning that it was due to Lieberman's threat of a veto, when the health-insurance industry & other "stakeholders" didn't want one from the jump, came months after Obama promised "stakeholders" there wouldn't be one included during off-the-record meetings that later came to light.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-real-reason-obamas-pl_b_473924

quote:

The reason Robert Gibbs gives for President Obama's health care plan not including a public option -- that despite majority voter support, it can't get 51 Democratic votes in the Senate -- doesn't hold up. The real reason is that Obama made a backroom deal last summer with the for-profit hospital industry that there would be no meaningful public option.

There is no evidence that President Obama has ever twisted the arm of a single Senator to support a public option and plenty of evidence that he has assiduously avoided doing so, sending a message to Senators that he doesn't want a public option. When the Senate passed its version of the health reform bill, the reason the White House gave for there being no public option was that it couldn't garner 60 votes. But Joe Lieberman, who could have been the 60th vote, insists that the Obama administration never pressured him to support either a public option or a Medicare buy-in. And Sen. Russ Feingold blamed the demise of the public option in the Senate on the White House's failure to push for it.

Now the White House is saying they're not including a public option in Obama's plan because they can't get even 51 Democratic votes in the Senate. Does anyone really believe that if President Obama really wanted a public option -- if he hadn't dealt the public option away in a backroom deal with the for-profit hospital industry -- he couldn't get 51 out of 59 members of the Senate Democratic caucus to vote for it?

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 11, 2024

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/SheehyforMT/status/1778133400026595781

Republican senate candidate in Montana is either trying to get ahead of something or swift boating himself for no apparent reason

(he claims to have lied and told a park ranger he shot himself to avoid an investigation into an old gunshot wound)

Looks to the Moon
Jun 23, 2017

You are not the only lost soul in this world.

Cimber posted:

I don't remember the exact verbiage since it was 13 years ago, but that was basically the gist of the conversation. The NICU doctor wasn't in network at our in network hospital, and the closest in network NICU doctor was at a hospital an hour away from where we were.

So apparently the idea is we were supposed to take a baby born not 6 hours ago having breathing issues, ship her to another hospital that had an in-network doctor?

Thanks Joe Leiberman, you did us all a solid.

I want to retroactively strangle that insurance rep on your behalf.

I wish I'd kept Aetna's rejection letter from before Obamacare outlawed preexisting conditions. They refused to cover my healthcare costs due to thyroid issues (which were genetic), and for some reason (inaccurately) dragged my BMI into it.

"No, we won't let you get healthcare because of this disease you inherited and did nothing to cause. Oh, and you're fat!"

Mother fuckers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even before the new surprise billing law it was possible to get insurance companies to cover emergency care from out-of-network providers in in-network hospitals but you had to endure a lot of phone trees and bottom tier reps to get to there.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

Even before the new surprise billing law it was possible to get insurance companies to cover emergency care from out-of-network providers in in-network hospitals but you had to endure a lot of phone trees and bottom tier reps to get to there.

And as usual the people with the greatest need to do so were usually the least equipped for it, so it's not much comfort.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

James Garfield posted:

https://twitter.com/SheehyforMT/status/1778133400026595781

Republican senate candidate in Montana is either trying to get ahead of something or swift boating himself for no apparent reason

(he claims to have lied and told a park ranger he shot himself to avoid an investigation into an old gunshot wound)

He told the park ranger he shot himself but told everyone else he got shot in the middle east and then later clarified that he didn't know whether it was enemy or friendly fire

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

It took appealing. We got got with an out of network anesthesiologist who did the epidural. It was something like 10 grand. It basically took HR telling them they should pay, they were managing a self insured not for profit’s plan.

For a lot of people appealing didn’t work especially if one’s employer wasn’t on one’s side.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Willa Rogers posted:

Baucus voted against a public option in committee & neither story says otherwise, only that Baucus used the threat of a filibuster as a reason to preclude it from the Senate bill:

It was not approved by the Senate Finance Committee, the committee charged with writing the ACA, which is what I said. Baucus's reasoning that it was due to Lieberman's threat of a veto, when the health-insurance industry & other "stakeholders" didn't want one from the jump, came months after Obama promised "stakeholders" there wouldn't be one included during off-the-record meetings that later came to light.

Just a note: stakeholders is absolutely bog standard government / policy language for everyone who would be impacted by a policy. Medical and insurance companies are absolutely and unequivocally stakeholders in any nationwide healthcare policy change. Should they be the most important stakeholders? Absolutely not - but it's a totally unremarkable piece of bureaucratese.

I am *very* fluent in bureaucratese

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I understand & agree; I put it in quotes because I saw the term used by bureaucrats during the early months of 2009 when it seemed to encompass PhRMA, the AHA, AHIP, medical-supply companies, and other for-profit interests--but precluded single-payer advocates (even Quentin Young, who had served as Obama's private physician in Chicago) and, more importantly, the people who'd hired Obama & the legislators put in charge of crafting the bill. :)

Goatse James Bond posted:

I don't see a forumban on your rap sheet, so I don't know why you think you'd be probated for a civil, on-topic post with some effort and content put into it.

Thanks; I may be unduly skittish based on the specious premises of some of my past probations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Baucus was not the only Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee to vote against the public option. Five Dems voted against Rockefeller's proposal, and three Dems voted against Schumer's proposal.

Kent Conrad and Blanche Lincoln voted against both, while Tom Carper and Bill Nelson voted against one but not the other.

Conrad was a notorious deficit hawk and big beneficiary of health industry lobbyist bucks, who was known for his tendency to come out strongly against just about any federal spending that wasn't agricultural subsidies for North Dakotan farmers. It wasn't exactly shocking when he opposed the public option.

Lincoln had supported the idea of a public option earlier in her career, but by 2009 she'd taken a rather drastic turn in the conservative direction in an attempt to shore up some rather difficult reelection prospects, and had publicly vowed to filibuster the ACA if it had a public option in it. So it wasn't terribly shocking that she also opposed it in committee. Her sudden plunge into deep-red waters didn't seem to help her get reelected, though!

Carper claimed to like the idea of a nonprofit public option, but didn't want it to be able to outcompete private insurance, and so he didn't want it to be government-run. He tried to offer up a compromise plan in which each state would have the option to create its own public option.

Nelson spoke out of both sides of his mouth. He suggested that he was open to the idea of a public option, but also voting against a government-run public option on the grounds that it was "socialized healthcare" and declaring that it would definitely not pass; he was thought likely to join in on a filibuster if the public option had hit the floor of Congress.

And those were just the Dem opponents on the Senate Finance Committee! In addition to those five, several other Dem senators were openly signaling that they were unlikely to support a public option. Lieberman's threat to filibuster it is the best-remembered, but he wasn't the only one. Mary Landrieu also suggested that she'd filibuster it, saying that there was no way she would ever vote for government-run healthcare.

It's wrong to say that Lieberman was solely responsible for killing the public option. But it's even more wrong to say that Baucus was solely responsible for that. Regardless of where Baucus may have personally stood on the public option, he was definitely telling the truth when he said that there weren't 60 votes to pass it.

Looks to the Moon
Jun 23, 2017

I don't understand these people. I get there's political calculus, compromises, and taking the long view, but do they not have families? It wasn't too long ago that Biden, the loving vice president, was about to sell his home to pay for Beau's cancer treatments.

When you actively keep people from the healthcare they need, everyone loses.

But what do I know, I'm just some rando on the internet.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Looks to the Moon posted:

I don't understand these people. I get there's political calculus, compromises, and taking the long view, but do they not have families? It wasn't too long ago that Biden, the loving vice president, was about to sell his home to pay for Beau's cancer treatments.

Families don’t refill the campaign chest as quickly as insurance companies do.

Looks to the Moon
Jun 23, 2017

Bird in a Blender posted:

:doh: How could I have forgotten.

The sheer power insurance companies hold in this country is a national disgrace.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Max Baucus, Blanche Lincoln, Kent Conrad

really remembering some dems now

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 12, 2024

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

While I'm sure many of the politicians at the time had family members who had been diagnosed with cancer, I don't believe Beau's cancer was known at that point in time. Wikipedia puts the first symptoms appearing in 2010, and a diagnosis isn't until 2013.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/biden-says-he-wouldd-veto-medicare-for-all-as-coronavirus-focuses-attention-on-health.html

Giving people healthcare is fiduciary irresponsibility.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

That isn't what the article says at all. The headline is also incorrect.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Bird in a Blender posted:

That was probably true in 2008 but it's not really true anymore, the big money for Democrats running national elections is in actblue donations.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I will keep saying that America not having single-payer, European-style universal healthcare is the dumbest, stupidest, and most disgraceful thing about this country.

Not only is universal healthcare cheaper per citizen while actually covering everyone, but it leads to better healthcare outcomes. There is absolutely no point in healthcare middlemen that are just an economic, health, and moral drain on society.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

small butter posted:

I will keep saying that America not having single-payer, European-style universal healthcare is the dumbest, stupidest, and most disgraceful thing about this country.

Not only is universal healthcare cheaper per citizen while actually covering everyone, but it leads to better healthcare outcomes. There is absolutely no point in healthcare middlemen that are just an economic, health, and moral drain on society.

it makes the jingo joke about some foreign country about to learn why we don't have national health care particularly hollow because our military sucks loving dicks too. threw how many billions down the toilet in Afghanistan, and what'd it get us? The reason Americans don't have health care is because we're all being cucked by defense contractors who would flee the country the second poo poo got dicey.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willa Rogers posted:

Thanks; I may be unduly skittish based on the specious premises of some of my past probations.

It's okay, I stepped down from being a mod months ago

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

They all at least claimed to agree that healthcare is too expensive, and that we need to bring the cost down or otherwise mitigate the impact of the costs on most people. However, they disagree on the best way to accomplish those goals.

There's a substantial ideological movement in the US that honestly believes that government action just makes everything worse and more expensive, and that privatization makes things both cheaper and better. Even if this movement's greatest champions don't honestly believe it, quite a few of its adherents do. Many of these senators either sympathized with that movement to some extent, or believed that their voters did.

On top of that, the deficit hawks were very active back in those days, proclaiming that there was no way the US government could possibly afford to take on the whole cost of the healthcare industry by itself, and that the US government simply did not have the money to bear that cost regardless of the benefits that might come with it. Of course, many of the loudest backers of this view were nowhere to be seen during the Bush or Trump administrations, but there were some genuine true believers for that too.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Baucus was not the only Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee to vote against the public option. Five Dems voted against Rockefeller's proposal, and three Dems voted against Schumer's proposal.

Kent Conrad and Blanche Lincoln voted against both, while Tom Carper and Bill Nelson voted against one but not the other.

Conrad was a notorious deficit hawk and big beneficiary of health industry lobbyist bucks, who was known for his tendency to come out strongly against just about any federal spending that wasn't agricultural subsidies for North Dakotan farmers. It wasn't exactly shocking when he opposed the public option.

Lincoln had supported the idea of a public option earlier in her career, but by 2009 she'd taken a rather drastic turn in the conservative direction in an attempt to shore up some rather difficult reelection prospects, and had publicly vowed to filibuster the ACA if it had a public option in it. So it wasn't terribly shocking that she also opposed it in committee. Her sudden plunge into deep-red waters didn't seem to help her get reelected, though!

Carper claimed to like the idea of a nonprofit public option, but didn't want it to be able to outcompete private insurance, and so he didn't want it to be government-run. He tried to offer up a compromise plan in which each state would have the option to create its own public option.

Nelson spoke out of both sides of his mouth. He suggested that he was open to the idea of a public option, but also voting against a government-run public option on the grounds that it was "socialized healthcare" and declaring that it would definitely not pass; he was thought likely to join in on a filibuster if the public option had hit the floor of Congress.

And those were just the Dem opponents on the Senate Finance Committee! In addition to those five, several other Dem senators were openly signaling that they were unlikely to support a public option. Lieberman's threat to filibuster it is the best-remembered, but he wasn't the only one. Mary Landrieu also suggested that she'd filibuster it, saying that there was no way she would ever vote for government-run healthcare.

It's wrong to say that Lieberman was solely responsible for killing the public option. But it's even more wrong to say that Baucus was solely responsible for that. Regardless of where Baucus may have personally stood on the public option, he was definitely telling the truth when he said that there weren't 60 votes to pass it.

Baucus (and, more importantly, his former health-insurance lobbyist chief of staff [who Obama later appointed to oversee implementation of the ACA]) were given the directive to craft the bill by the president, and he led the committee hearings on the Senate version of the bill; he was pretty much considered the architect during its crafting.

As the Huffington Post link points out, there were many Senate Democrats (including those on the finance committee, as you said) opposed to the public option. But the hairball during all of this was that, prior to the actual hearings on the amendment, Obama had made a backroom deal to preclude a public option.

So yes, you're correct: Baucus didn't unilaterally kill the public option; it's probably more truthful to say that it was Obama who killed it, with the assistance of Baucus & several other Democrats. And it all circles back to the Lieberman Lie, which somehow persists even after 15 years.

(How ironic that the "deficit hawks" like Conrad were against the option that would have likely saved the feds the hundreds of billions of dollars they wound up subsidizing private health insurers, although I do recall Schumer saying, at the time, that any public option would have to be priced "on an even playing field" with private insurance.)

eta: I will note that your contention that I said "that Baucus was solely responsible for that" is factually incorrect; I said that "Baucus killed the amendment in committee" and that he refused to bring it for a floor vote, powers that he wielded as chair of the Senate Finance Committee at that time, and that Lieberman did not. I'm confused how those facts are "more wrong" than assigning the blame for killing the public option on Lieberman, which was the original claim to which I responded.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 12, 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Speaking of Obama, has anyone read the roman à clef "Great Expectations" about the Obama years that was released last month?

Jacobin posted a review of it:

quote:

n 2007, the New Yorker staff writer Vinson Cunningham was in his early twenties, working as a tutor in Manhattan. These were exciting times for the liberal public sphere: the iPhone, Tumblr, and Nancy Pelosi had just made debuts, the latter as the first woman speaker of the House of Representatives. Through luck, or fate, or divine intervention, Cunningham’s tutoring connections drew him into the orbit of a charismatic black senator from Illinois making a bid for the presidency. Working on Barack Obama’s campaign, he called potential donors, collected checks, clutched a clipboard at the entrance to the apartments of the rich and famous — the kind of work that inspires and requires jaded cynicism. Cunningham has lent his own potted biography to the protagonist of his debut novel, Great Expectations. Like its namesake, this is a story about searching for identity, but race, religion, and political disillusionment in early 2000s America take the place of Charles Dickens’s class-inflected Victorian romance.

Great Expectations follows David Hammond, a black man, also in his early twenties, over the eighteen months he spends working for the senator’s campaign. One character jokes about the similarity between his and the name of the artist David Hammons, whose work has dealt ironically with symbols of race and power in the United States (“magical things happen when you mess around with a symbol,” he told the critic Kellie Jones in 1986). Cunningham’s novel, much like Hammons’s art, explores the hollowness and malleability of symbols. At its center is the unnamed senator, referred to throughout as simply “the candidate” but clearly more than inspired by Barack Obama.

By the end of the book, David has learned — from the candidate, from donors he’s become close to — “a language of signs.” He has lost the reverence he once held for the world of politics, seen behind the curtain and witnessed scurrying assistants, frantic fundraisers, and not much else. By the novel’s close, he has no capacity for admiration “now that I could interpret the symbols [the candidate] offered in such profusion.” When he arrives in Chicago for election day, David finds himself attracted to the “veiled God of my youth, if only because He still spoke words I couldn’t comprehend.”

Great Expectations asks what happens when what was once clouded in smoke comes clearly into view, and we discover that the symbols we had treated as synecdoche for something larger are in fact empty. Belief in hope and change alone can only get you so far.

https://jacobin.com/2024/04/vinson-cunningham-great-expectations-obama-era/

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It took appealing. We got got with an out of network anesthesiologist who did the epidural. It was something like 10 grand. It basically took HR telling them they should pay, they were managing a self insured not for profit’s plan.

For a lot of people appealing didn’t work especially if one’s employer wasn’t on one’s side.

This was my experience as well, fought a 5k "insurance refuses to cover due to lack of evidence" and it took a year and the head of HR on a three way call calling them stupid for failing to inform me that I did not provide enough evidence of need, and when I did provide it immediately upon receipt of the bill was told "too late, we closed it, now pay."

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://ktul.com/news/local/house-b...h-hpv-infection

quote:

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) — House Bill 3098, authored by Senator Jessica Garvin and Representative Toni Hasenbeck, could criminalize common STIs and turn thousands of Oklahomans into felons. Instead of reducing the spread of STIs, experts in the field say the bill would make the problem worse. If signed into law, House Bill 3098 would criminalize the intentional or reckless spread of STIs. Violators could face between 2 to 5 years in prison.

However reckless is not defined in the bill, which experts in the field say leaves an open door to potential unnecessary lawsuits and prosecutions. Because of the broad language, rather than encouraging Oklahomans to get tested, treated, and reduce the spread of STIs, House Bill 3098 could make the problem worse. Experts fear the bill would deter folks from getting tested for STIs if they fear prosecution.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the cruelty is the point

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

it makes the jingo joke about some foreign country about to learn why we don't have national health care particularly hollow because our military sucks loving dicks too. threw how many billions down the toilet in Afghanistan, and what'd it get us? The reason Americans don't have health care is because we're all being cucked by defense contractors who would flee the country the second poo poo got dicey.

How many defense contractors have fled the nation in the last few years of economic turmoil and uncertainty?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Aren't there laws on the books already criminalizing it if you intentionally infect someone with an STI? I know that laws exist specifically for HIV, not sure about other STIs offhand. But poorly defining it as just being "reckless" and not "intentional" seems arbitrarily vague - but then, the GOP's method for writing legislation these days seems to be "We'll put words on paper and tell you what they mean as soon as we figure it out."

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Defense spending is small compared to healthcare spending, it's like Republicans saying we can't afford foreign aid. We also spend more on healthcare than other developed countries that have universal healthcare. Our political system has a lot of veto points and ~25% of the country automatically opposes doing anything that isn't bad.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

James Garfield posted:

Defense spending is small compared to healthcare spending, it's like Republicans saying we can't afford foreign aid. We also spend more on healthcare than other developed countries that have universal healthcare. Our political system has a lot of veto points and ~25% of the country automatically opposes doing anything that isn't bad.

Not just more, but about double the amount per capita. It's absolutely nuts.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/chart-collection/health-spending-u-s-compare-countries/

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I can picture the SVU episode about this and Ice-T explaining in frustrated tones what a dumb-rear end, unworkable idea this is. Well done, lawmakers!

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Can you imagine if a conservative proposed a bill to criminalize reckless spreading of COVID-19? They'd be hanged, drawn and quartered. But STDs? Gotta get government up in everyone's junk.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Pretty awful, I thought the bill Florida passed this week that makes it a felony for an officer to have a panic attack about fentanyl around you would be hard to top:

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...te/72326294007/

quote:

Exposures of First Responders to Fentanyl (SB 718/HB 231), which passed through a Senate Criminal Justice Committee meeting Tuesday, would make it a second-degree felony to “recklessly” expose a first responder to fentanyl or any fentanyl analogues (drugs that are chemically similar), resulting in bodily injury.

“It's a problem. You can get exposed to it,” said bill sponsor Sen. Jay Collins, R-Tampa. “The pre(cursor) chemicals, the aerosolization of those things that you can walk right into, touching someone and rubbing your eye and going down – people have to be held accountable for this.”

Because cops are very normal about fentanyl I doubt you need to even have it on you to get charged with this, just ruin their vibes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Aren't there laws on the books already criminalizing it if you intentionally infect someone with an STI? I know that laws exist specifically for HIV, not sure about other STIs offhand. But poorly defining it as just being "reckless" and not "intentional" seems arbitrarily vague - but then, the GOP's method for writing legislation these days seems to be "We'll put words on paper and tell you what they mean as soon as we figure it out."

"recklessly" is a huge jump downwards on what a prosecution needs to prove. Basically if they engage in sex while "likely" knowing they could spread a STI. Kinda crazy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://www.npr.org/2024/04/11/1243982287/fbi-agents-housing-costs

quote:

Many FBI agents are struggling to make ends meet. Housing costs are to blame

Many FBI agents based in cities with a high cost of living are struggling to make ends meet, forcing them to make hours-long commutes or double up in apartments, according to bureau and Justice Department officials.

Natalie Bara, president of the FBI Agents Association, said she's heard from two or three agents sharing an apartment near New York City, and others who commute four hours each day, back and forth to their field offices. Some circumstances are even more extreme, she added.

"They're having to juggle being able to afford rent and/or utilities versus being able to actually buy groceries, so it's getting to a level where it's becoming very, very difficult to not only recruit agents into these high cost of living areas, but also retain them in those areas," said Bara, who is a second-generation FBI agent.

A survey last year found more than two-thirds of agents who live in these places said it's difficult to manage on their current salaries.

First of all, shits too expensive and people need to be paid more/paid wages that allow them live.

But lol and lmao let's all feel sorry for these cops for having to do things like "living with roommates" and deciding between whether they "pay rent or buy food".

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/11/1243982287/fbi-agents-housing-costs

First of all, shits too expensive and people need to be paid more/paid wages that allow them live.

But lol and lmao let's all feel sorry for these cops for having to do things like "living with roommates" and deciding between whether they "pay rent or buy food".

They should have learned to code maybe. I get it’s your dream job or whatever but maybe it’s not practical? Have you thought about seeing if you could frame mentally ill Muslim men as a hobby instead?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
FBI Special Agents are at GS-13 on the federal payscale, which is well over six figures. They're also getting locality pay adjustments when they work in expensive cities, plus tiny bumps in seniority over time, and annual adjustments for inflation. For reference, GS-13 in DC is ~$120k. That is enough to swing a $3000 a month apartment near an office in the city center, or a nicer place capable of handling dependents with a commute. It's not enough to have it all but if FBI agents are regularly struggling on that salary then that is on them.

EDIT: The article references a starting salary at ~73k, but FBI agents only make that much when they're in training at Quantico and receive automatic pay increases afterwards for the next 2 years until they end up at GS-13.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Morrow posted:

FBI Special Agents are at GS-13 on the federal payscale, which is well over six figures. They're also getting locality pay adjustments when they work in expensive cities, plus tiny bumps in seniority over time, and annual adjustments for inflation. For reference, GS-13 in DC is ~$120k. That is enough to swing a $3000 a month apartment near an office in the city center, or a nicer place capable of handling dependents with a commute. It's not enough to have it all but if FBI agents are regularly struggling on that salary then that is on them.

EDIT: The article references a starting salary at ~73k, but FBI agents only make that much when they're in training at Quantico and receive automatic pay increases afterwards for the next 2 years until they end up at GS-13.

Even beyond agents themselves, lab geeks and paper pushers don't start off nearly that high but a lot of people just see "FBI" and say "Oh, an FBI agent." Like it or not you can't run the agency without the rest of the positions.