Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Judging how every item in S4 is going to be Life + Mainstat + x is def pointing into the D3 direction, and people will praise it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Kaysette posted:

wish i had a glute filter because some of these posts are rear end

yeah sucks rear end ppl are discussing things. braindead mf.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
ok no one liked my butt joke i'm sorry

as punishment i'll come back and play s4

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mikojan posted:

Judging how every item in S4 is going to be Life + Mainstat + x is def pointing into the D3 direction, and people will praise it

there are already 2-3 best stats per item slot, they're removing/condensing stats, so you'll more easily hit 3/3 items. i don't think you can perma brick your drops. lots of people were clearing pit 200 bosses on PTR with quite suboptimal loot

while the gearing system may be deeper, it looks like it'll still be the same problem as before. you can already beat all game activities with having synergistic skills and paragons and the gear is just kinda there

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kaysette posted:

ok no one liked my butt joke i'm sorry

as punishment i'll come back and play s4

I like butts and butt jokes.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I post, you mf.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Holy poo poo just hover over an item and look at it for 3 seconds. Y'all act like not having a loot filter is some game breaking thing.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Holy poo poo just hover over an item and look at it for 3 seconds. Y'all act like not having a loot filter is some game breaking thing.
To be fair, it is kind of annoying that after every 5 minute NMD run, I have to spend 2 minutes sorting through trash drops to see if there’s anything interesting. Not really complaining at the moment since by all reports this is a solved problem in season 4.

One thing I did want to float by the thread: are there at least 3 other goons interested in shooting for a top 10 leaderboard spot in the party-of-four trials this season? I checked based on harrygomm’s earlier indication that basically no one is doing the party ladders, and sure enough the ladder for parties of 4 didn’t even have 100 entries last week. That being the case, seems like doing a single run would guarantee the related top-100 rewards, and that there’s also real opportunity to hit top 10 without have to do stupid numbers of Duriel runs for ubers.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Blizzard devs in 1996: Let's make a cool RPG about killing demons in hell
Players: epileptic seizure drowning in their 2-week grindsession poopsock pile after scanning their spreadsheet for maximum stat combos for the 1385th time

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bisse posted:

Blizzard devs in 1996: Let's make a cool RPG about killing demons in hell

it was meant to have item packs that they could sell to players, truly they were visionaries

unironically arpg dorks should check out the original diablo 1 white paper (or w/e the og proposal for the game was called), it's a kind of refreshingly clear vision. they had the wild idea that, unlike rpgs where you make some character and build a backstory and pick a bunch of stats and allocate points and assign starting items they would instead prioritize minimizing time from launching the game to the first undead killed. interesting to note the points where they broke from the plan, too

https://www.graybeardgames.com/download/diablo_pitch.pdf

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 12, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
tbh i doubt the intensity of gamers poopsocking has changed meaningfully over the last 30 years

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
^ that's the first known picture of malding

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Jimbot posted:

Being able to craft and refine your items is a real good step in the right direction for me. But also having Uniques that are utterly broken that are rare drops would be nice. Of all the drops, these should be super exciting to get - some of them are! But having some sort of automated trade system in place would be fine. Like some sort auction house-like thing where it's "Offering X, looking for Y" that you simply slot the item they're looking for in and you instantly get the item they posted. Where items are the currency instead of gold.

One of the advantages of the Seasonal model is you can have a completely broken chase item that actually drops randomly in the world - but on a reasonably low chance - without massively breaking the meta, as the only real consequence is that lucky someone plows through the season journey faster than usual.

It's not like WoW or similar online RPGs where having such a thing could really disrupt progression-based competition for the entire length of an expansion, or make a PvP season unplayable if you don't have The Thing.

If you get it late in the game a broken Uber unique's not going to do much for you, given the lack of hardcore endgame content in the present game - but if you lucked into getting it early into WT4 and it lets you down the L200 uber bosses without spending a week or more farming masterworking mats and min-maxing your build with Greater Affix gear, that's still a win.

TyrantWD posted:

The way chase items work in D4 is completely backwards. If I am powerful enough to kill the boss that drops Uber uniques and have them on farm, why do I need the chase item that it drops? The quest to get a build enabling item for my Druid, when I already have to have a really good Druid build to farm it is silly, and its not going to keep people playing for long.

I'd rather see build enabling items start dropping in WT3 with reduced stats, and then have the uber bosses drop shards, in addition to items, that you take to a vendor and trade in for any unique item. Make the vendor versions have lower stats so the boss drop is still the best thing to get. You know what I want to do when I have a fairly geared out Druid that can beat endgame content? Try that cool looking Wizard build, or the new Necro build I see people playing. I might feel like I've had my fill of the season, but if I look at my stash and see I have enough shards to start up a new build for a new class, I'll be tempted to give it a shot rather than move on.

I think this would be a cool addition, and likely keep people engaged in the season a bit longer, which is clearly something they're driving for.

I want to say they had systems like this in WoW at various points when I played, that gave you universal rewards you could use to boost alts into endgame activities faster etc, and it was really neat. But I'm an alts guy, not everyone is going to run 2 classes in a single season.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ersatz posted:

One thing I did want to float by the thread: are there at least 3 other goons interested in shooting for a top 10 leaderboard spot in the party-of-four trials this season? I checked based on harrygomm’s earlier indication that basically no one is doing the party ladders, and sure enough the ladder for parties of 4 didn’t even have 100 entries last week. That being the case, seems like doing a single run would guarantee the related top-100 rewards, and that there’s also real opportunity to hit top 10 without have to do stupid numbers of Duriel runs for ubers.

I'm down, but I'm still only level 58. Give me a few days and I'll bump that up a bit.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I can join. Level 100 rogue using barrage. Got a Shako too

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Excellent. I’ll be traveling over the weekend but I should be available for the gauntlet next week. My tag is Ersatz#1915.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This was a really cool read, thank you!

”Turn based combat” lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah the arpg lore (which most people here probably know?) is that the genre was created when they were like 'what if you set the interval per turn to zero' (thereby making the game realtime), which was done reluctantly but after trying it there was no question about going back. The character creator as described is funny vs what shipped too, which literally just lets you pick Warrior Rogue Sorcerer classes, prompts you for a name, and then it dumps you into tristram. You can tell that they realized that they had video game crack and they just made the game to get out of the way of letting people smoke as much as they wanted, so to speak.

I find it striking how clearly they understood 30 years ago how to make a game that is extremely replayable. Hell even the gdc talk from ggg about 'how to design a game to be played forever' mostly just rehashes those same few concepts. D2 in turn was just a refinement of the same concepts outlined there.

I still think that one of the single biggest sins of D4s launch was the nearly zero variety in dungeon layouts, plus the dungeons themselves involving slow, repetitive chores to complete them and a ton of backtracking. Plus they expected people to travel to each of them lol.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 12, 2024

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Maybe it's the higher visual fidelity that's to blame, but I've always preferred the "random level generation" of Diablo 1/2 to the procedural level generation of Diablo 3/4. Random, to me, feels more interesting and fresh and like a somewhat unique experience each time, where the procedural generation with the building blocks and set pieces feels samey, predictable and like I've been here before a hundred times just minutes ago. I also dislike the new dungeon layouts with a focus on corridors and crossings instead of open spaces.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TW6BswMIYo
the game needs more meme builds

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Now do Lilith.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not doing Lilith until they admit it's stupid and fix it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Having done a bunch more of the side quests I’ll still say a lot of them are really good.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

MarcusSA posted:

Having done a bunch more of the side quests I’ll still say a lot of them are really good.

Yeah I like most of the side quests. They're quick and snappy, and usually a good source of elixir crafting plants early on.

Coming back to my double swing / charge Barb and ds is kind of boring. Charge with the two Aspects that make it ridiculous is still fun though.

Hit level 62 last night so getting close to WT4 and the big gear upgrades. Not sure if I'll switch over to HotA or ride this build until I can get a Hellhammer for the crazy Upheavel build.

Still want to keep my fun Leapquake and Charge instead of going 3 shouts. Looks like the Gauntlet -specific builds on Maxroll are closer to what I want so I'll use those as a reference.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Someone carried my bad-reflexes rear end through Uber Lilith, so that's 100% completion on this Season Journey. Will be making good use of the "Terrible" title for sure. :unsmith:

I have really enjoyed Season 3, played it a ton more than either 1 or 2. If Season 4 keeps shaping up to be even better, I'm excited for it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Far as loot filter goes, I've always felt the need of a loot filter grows out of poor design. If your game pukes up enough loot to need one you done hosed up on a fundamental level. One of those arpg principles in need of a good rethink imho.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

unattended spaghetti posted:

Far as loot filter goes, I've always felt the need of a loot filter grows out of poor design. If your game pukes up enough loot to need one you done hosed up on a fundamental level. One of those arpg principles in need of a good rethink imho.

Nah, if you look at LE there's a huge amount of affixes that are all different and 95% of them are going to be BiS for at least one build. Unless you want D3/D4 style boring affixes that are the same for all classes, you're going to need to generate a lot of loot, a lot of which may not be useful for your particular build.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Think for at least two seconds about whether or not it makes sense for an ARPG to have affixes that apply equally to every build for every class before you say that loot filters are unnecessary

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 13, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah that's a fair point. But having less overall loot that impacts any given build more significantly isn't a bad thing and that's what I mean about having less of it. Isn't as much about only loot for your use case, more about potency and pace of acquisition.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

unattended spaghetti posted:

Yeah that's a fair point. But having less overall loot that impacts any given build more significantly isn't a bad thing and that's what I mean about having less of it. Isn't as much about only loot for your use case, more about potency and pace of acquisition.

I mean it's mathematically impossible to have lots of build variety and very few but impactful loot drops. That's not how numbers work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Games with minimal loot drops for limited build variety are called character action games

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Loot filters ARE a bandaid fix for core design issues. Right off the bat I can think of 10+ RPGs ive played that had wildly varied builds with varied drops and had no need for loot filters. I do actually like that D4 is trying to fix the core issues instead of adding loot filters.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 13, 2024

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

bamhand posted:

I mean it's mathematically impossible to have lots of build variety and very few but impactful loot drops. That's not how numbers work.
verybadforumposts.txt

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

Games with minimal loot drops for limited build variety are called character action games

Ha it's true. Of course I'm not a designer but I'd like to think there's a space for something between the Spartan approach and the loot avalanche approach. But tbh you're probably right that I just fundamentally don't really like the genre much these days.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I've been thinking to myself every time i see a "no loot filter?" post that there's a fella who didn't check out the PTR or read da newz

You won't need one

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
okay I'll be that guy: what exactly is a loot filter? I haven't played other arpgs besides Diablo. Is it something like where you enter "if item=gloves, and critchance less than 5, then autosell?"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
color me skeptical that blizzard has actually fixed both arpg itemization and the need for a loot filter

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Node posted:

okay I'll be that guy: what exactly is a loot filter? I haven't played other arpgs besides Diablo. Is it something like where you enter "if item=gloves, and critchance less than 5, then autosell?"

In PoE for example, a loot filter looks at the item properties and adjusts the displayed label when the item is on the ground by changing font size and colors. So it can shrink or hide poo poo drops, highlight good dps items with green, good sell items with gray, etc whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Node posted:

Pretty much. It's sometimes not even that specific. Often used to exclude whole classes of item below a certain rarity threshold, for instance.