Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tighclops posted:

"What does God need with a starship?" is an all loving timer and justifies the movie's existence entirely by itself

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Delsaber posted:

I go hiking fairly regularly these days and the number of times I've gotten to a viewpoint and had to resist yelling "WE HAVE TRAVELED FAR!" at the top of my lungs is really getting up there.

Dude just give yourself a holler once or twice

What, are the bears gonna file a complaint?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
"What does God need with a starship?" and this are the 2 reasons that movie have reason to exist:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/88697c98-18fd-45a0-a979-5e279a2f0e3b

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Just hit Captain's Holiday in my rewatch. It's a fun episode and all (and REALLY makes me think of Who Mourns For Morn) but it does make me wonder why they put in that vash had to pay to get to Risa.
Who is she paying, what is she paying?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Taear posted:

Just hit Captain's Holiday in my rewatch. It's a fun episode and all (and REALLY makes me think of Who Mourns For Morn) but it does make me wonder why they put in that vash had to pay to get to Risa.

Worf to stay away, with bottles of the finest prune juice.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/STDeltaShift/status/1778089959338934581

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Taear posted:

She did? When does it say that?

Presumably she had to pay to take some kind of non-Federation transport.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

"What does God need with a starship?" and this are the 2 reasons that movie have reason to exist:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/88697c98-18fd-45a0-a979-5e279a2f0e3b
I'm so glad that clip wasn't what I was afraid it would be.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

She did? When does it say that?

Presumably she had to pay to take some kind of non-Federation transport.

She says "it's very expensive to get to Risa"
And she wants the mcguffin to sell

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was raised to be a Trekkie, but I never actually watched TOS. It just wasn't in syndication in my area. But I'm familiar with a lot of the content of TOS because I saw the movies, I played Star Trek games on my dad's Apple II, I even have a copy of the comic book where Spock uses Vulcan Voodoo. (I have seen "The Cage" because I rented it on VHS.)

So I've been slowly watching TOS and it's crazy. I just finished "The Naked Time" and the infection is basically just a metaphor for the stresses that a starship crew are under every day. Toward the end, McCoy even compares the effect to simple drunkenness--and then Spock makes advances in applied physics in a few minutes through the power of getting drunk and talking about his feelings.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Knormal posted:

I'm so glad that clip wasn't what I was afraid it would be.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The Measure of a Man is a very good episode of Star Trek. I'm not sure why we had to revisit Maddox himself and have him murdered in Picard, but I am glad that he did not dissect Data.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

jambalaya

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Measure of a Man" really bothered me as a kid because I assumed Starfleet would have answered these questions of personhood (correctly) already.

Is "The Enemy Within" actually considered a good episode? Everything about this is the wrong kind of stupid. Even the goofy little dog alien fails to be endearing.

Anyway, bring back Lal and give her a show.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I consider Enemy Within to be a good episode with one exception (which I've talked about before): Spock's ""joke"" at the end of the episode at Rand's expense. That's one of the worst parts of the entire series for me - far more so than the infamous cheese in the third season.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I was raised to be a Trekkie, but I never actually watched TOS. It just wasn't in syndication in my area. But I'm familiar with a lot of the content of TOS because I saw the movies, I played Star Trek games on my dad's Apple II, I even have a copy of the comic book where Spock uses Vulcan Voodoo. (I have seen "The Cage" because I rented it on VHS.)

So I've been slowly watching TOS and it's crazy. I just finished "The Naked Time" and the infection is basically just a metaphor for the stresses that a starship crew are under every day. Toward the end, McCoy even compares the effect to simple drunkenness--and then Spock makes advances in applied physics in a few minutes through the power of getting drunk and talking about his feelings.

Hell yeah. TOS is the best.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Hell yeah. TOS is the best.

At being bad!
I just can't connect to the 60s aesthetic of it.

The films click for me quite well and there are episodes of TOS that work but for the most part i'm just cringing

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's a you problem

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

TOS is so good. I can only handle a little bit at a time because the campiness levels are off the charts. I love that.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Halloween Jack posted:

"Measure of a Man" really bothered me as a kid because I assumed Starfleet would have answered these questions of personhood (correctly) already.

It's such a contrived episode that largely works based on Picard's speech at the end. Everything up to that is absurd - "We apparently never bothered determining whether this guy was a sapient being before commissioning him as an officer, promoting him several times, and making him third in command of the flagship. Also, rather than having actual lawyers or experts consider his case, we're just going to randomly grab two officers to handle it all. And if the prosecutor doesn't do a good enough job, I'm going to rule in their favor."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Measure of A Man is a remake of sorts of Court Martial, with several of the plot beats left in place. But MoAM is a better episode and the court drama more believable ("computers never lie!" :laffo:).

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

At being bad!
I just can't connect to the 60s aesthetic of it.

The films click for me quite well and there are episodes of TOS that work but for the most part i'm just cringing

skill issue

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Measure of A Man is a remake of sorts of Court Martial, with several of the plot beats left in place. But MoAM is a better episode and the court drama more believable ("computers never lie!" :laffo:).

The computer did lie though. Like I see where you’re coming from, this is a bunch of confused messaging about computers that probably stems from someone whose total computing experience didn’t extend beyond a pocket calculator. But I don’t think it’s innately unreasonable that Starfleet justice would trust its computers until evidence was presented that they shouldn’t…the writers just had no clue what that sort of evidence would look like.

Unfortunately the human element of “Court Martial” makes no sense at all. I think I posted about this before, maybe in the last thread, but the villain’s cunning plan is beyond nonsense, nobody could possibly think it would work. Also, Kirk’s attorney just disappears inexplicably for the climax of the episode while Kirk is permitted by the court to go off alone with a gun to settle accounts with the man he’s accused of killing in the first place!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh good, I was worried they were going to come up with a coherent franchise strategy.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2024/04/paramount-officially-adds-star-trek-origin-story-film-to-2025-release-slate/

quote:

UNTITLED STAR TREK ORIGIN STORY

Director: Toby Haynes

Writer: Seth Grahame-Smith

Producer: J.J. Abrams

This project is an origin story that takes place decades before the original 2009 Star Trek film.

Because what I really want is a Pike movie without anything that has made SNW special.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Holy poo poo, enough prequels.

Paramount seems loving terrified to do anything new that might carry any sort of risk. It's kind of amazing that Lower Decks happened.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Oh good, I was worried they were going to come up with a coherent franchise strategy.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2024/04/paramount-officially-adds-star-trek-origin-story-film-to-2025-release-slate/

Because what I really want is a Pike movie without anything that has made SNW special.

It's not a Pike movie, it's a George Kirk movie.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's not a Pike movie, it's a George Kirk movie.

Nobody wants that either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WhiteHowler posted:

Nobody wants that either.

Exactly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I consider Enemy Within to be a good episode with one exception (which I've talked about before): Spock's ""joke"" at the end of the episode at Rand's expense. That's one of the worst parts of the entire series for me - far more so than the infamous cheese in the third season.
The loving episode is a joke at her expense! We already had an episode this season where her role was just getting sexually harassed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm now kinda worried that if Skydance does buy Paramount, they are going to try to make the JJVerse a thing again and let's not.

ST2009 could have been a neat ALT history Star Trek one shot, but they had to follow it up with the utterly dismal ST:ID which easily ranks below Nemesis as the worst ST move and possibly the worst ST anything put in front of a camera.

Beyond had some good parts, but there's really no point in continuing with this.

Also, is unclear if this is 10 years before the START of ST2009 or 10 years before the main events of ST2009. If it's the latter, it can't be George Kirk. If it's the former, then it's before the timeline split and we really don't need to be muddying the waters further on that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I'm now kinda worried that if Skydance does buy Paramount, they are going to try to make the JJVerse a thing again and let's not.

ST2009 could have been a neat ALT history Star Trek one shot, but they had to follow it up with the utterly dismal ST:ID which easily ranks below Nemesis as the worst ST move and possibly the worst ST anything put in front of a camera.

Beyond had some good parts, but there's really no point in continuing with this.

Also, is unclear if this is 10 years before the START of ST2009 or 10 years before the main events of ST2009. If it's the latter, it can't be George Kirk. If it's the former, then it's before the timeline split and we really don't need to be muddying the waters further on that.

Decades (plural) before Star Trek 2009.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Oh, then we're gonna re-do ENT and manage to make it worse?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I was conflating two sources where one explicitly says 10 years.

Kirk was 25 in the reboot universe during the events of ST2009, so decades could mean anywhere from right before the events at the start of the movie to George Kirk in the academy.

If it is a George Kirk movie, again the question is why? He died at 29 as first officer and never knew his son. What's the narrative hook there? It's not like we can watch the person that made Kirk out to be the man that he was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Everything in popular sci-fi is about sacred bloodlines now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Just fork the timelime again when, i dunno, the lower decks crew saves romulus or something, thus also invalidating picard as well

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Halloween Jack posted:

Everything in popular sci-fi is about sacred bloodlines now.

Ruling class ideology really has seeped into every aspect of culture

It stinks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've been watching Foundation, where the main character makes the baffling decision to leave her life behind (that is, stay in cryosleep until everyone she knows is dead) so that she can meet her egg donor.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Oh, then we're gonna re-do ENT and manage to make it worse?

It's a prequel, but not as much as Enterprise, but more than Strange New Worlds. A mid-pre-quel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

the utterly dismal ST:ID which easily ranks below Nemesis as the worst ST move and possibly the worst ST anything put in front of a camera.

Whoa, now, let's not say things we can't take back. There's quite a bit to like in Into Darkness, and as for "the worst ST anything put in front of a camera," These Are The Voyages..., Discovery and Picard are right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Timby posted:

Whoa, now, let's not say things we can't take back. There's quite a bit to like in Into Darkness

Sure there is: seeing the end credits.