Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Alan_Shore posted:

Whoever assured you of that is a moron, AEW is the best wrestling going

But it has bad cameras!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

delightful posted:

Where's the good wrestling at? I've been assured that AEW is rear end. Is NJPW still a thing? Is there a NJPW thread?

do you have the CW app?

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

JUNGLE BOY posted:

do you have the CW app?

No but I uhhhhhhhhh sail the high seas or whatever metaphor means I pirate the poo poo out of stuff. What should I be watching? Real question - I'm with EMF, I watched WWE to see Cody finish his story, now im ready and willing to watch literally anything else. What should I be watching?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

delightful posted:

No but I uhhhhhhhhh sail the high seas or whatever metaphor means I pirate the poo poo out of stuff. What should I be watching? Real question - I'm with EMF, I watched WWE to see Cody finish his story, now im ready and willing to watch literally anything else. What should I be watching?

https://www.cwtv.com/shows/nwa-powerrr/view-in-app/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
great news, the AJPW champions carnival starts next week

you like family drama? wait until you see rei and jun saito in the same tournament block!!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Don't do this to them.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Watch AAA on youtube it owns. AEW Dynasty will be worth buying on PPV or watching however you find a way too. It will be a great introduction into their strengths. Don’t watch Dynamite from Wednesday it was pretty bad. Smackdown is more watchable than RAW usually NXT is fun. NJPW is good but not at it’s height.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if you like deathmatch RPW just put on a great show called Miasma.

Also its not around anymore but i loved Lucha Underground. Very silly and soapy but had the good wrestling to back it up.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I knew nothing about Lucha Underground when I watched it for the first time a couple years back

the first ep had John Morrison vs Ricochet and I immediately went :negative: when I realized how wasted they’ve been in the fed

anyhow yeah the show rules and Io Shirai v Penta is an absolute banger in a show absolutely full of them

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

delightful posted:

Where's the good wrestling at? I've been assured that AEW is rear end. Is NJPW still a thing? Is there a NJPW thread?

There's no good wrestling, only good cinema

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

delightful posted:

if you arent cheap like me for just 35 dollars a month you can watch cmll

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NJPW sucks, it's not cool like AJPW or TJPW

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

delightful posted:

Where's the good wrestling at?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

delightful posted:

Where's the good wrestling at?

AXS TV on Thursdays.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

delightful posted:

Yes, there's a New Japan thread. There is also the Puroresu thread where we talk about a myriad of other Japanese promotions like All Japan, Dragongate, NOAH, DDT, 2AW, Big Japan, FREEDOMS & occasionally smaller groups like Michinoku Pro, Kyushu Pro, etc. Dragongate have been having a great 2024 & are probably my #1 promotion of the first quarter, All Japan just crowned a super rookie new Triple Crown champion & are about to go into the Champion Carnival, NOAH is a mess with some really good stuff (if Kenoh is involved it's probably worth paying attention to) but honestly kind of impossible to recommend.

AEW, despite my prejudices against American TV wrestling, has honestly had some fantastic matches this year. CMLL in Mexico are also having a terrific year.

Alan_Shore posted:

Whoever assured you of that is a moron, AEW is the best wrestling going

What other wrestling do you even watch to make that proclamation?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Regarding the ages of wrestlers, Logan Paul, Bron Breaker, JD McDonough, Solo and Dom are the only major male singles wrestlers born in the 90s.

But almost all the major tag teams - Creeds, Imperium, AOP, street profits, A town down under, LWO, Legado, New Catch are born in the 90s.

Brooks Jensen, Gable Stevenson, and Luca Crisifino are the only people born this century.

The Women seem to be mostly born 92-03, except a few

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

faantastic posted:

I thought all outfits were made inhouse, did not know they were contracted out etc and that is really hosed up. Hope they get paid somehow, if only off attention from the post.

edit: Next post on twitter talks about other vendors having similar issue with her. Jeeeeeeeez.
i think wwe will provide basic tights and stuff if you ask and if they have a specific gimmick in mind for you theyll make the gear themselves but stuff like 'a nice coat for wrestlemania' is usually purchased by the wrestler themselves via a third party. iirc jericho talks in one of his books about how he had to run around town trying to find someone to put new lights on one of his jackets the night before a mania.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well they’re independent contractors so they should logically be personally responsible for ensuring they have all the right equipment for the job, it’s not like they’re WWE employees who only work for WWE and need to be provided for accordingly.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

delightful posted:

People have answered, but AEW is indeed very good. I would recommend watching any of AEW PPVs to get a handle on the product - their most recent Revolution PPV had Sting's retirement match and is the reason the forum is named Stinger Splash Zone. Their upcoming show, Dynasty, should be excellent. There's a great thread on how to get into AEW stickied in this forum that is very helpful. There's also Ring of Honor, available on Honor Club/the ROH app, which is owned by AEW but has a ton of history going back decades. They've been putting out some fantastic PPV events lately.

If you're interested in another American promotion, TNA is available on YouTube for $1 a month. Not a joke, you can watch their weekly show for that cheap. They are a company of big ups and downs, and have a very checkered history, but have settled in as a nice weekly bit of wrestling with some great and underrated talents. I'm personally a fan of Josh Alexander and of Joe Hendry.

The thing that brought me back to wrestling was Wrestle Universe, which for approximately $9 a month gets you access to DDT (a great Japanese promotion that often has comedy matches on the undercard and awesome hard-hitting main events), TJPW (a really fun women's wrestling promotion focused around big characters and development), Ganbare Pro (a Japanese independent promotion with very cool vibes), NOAH (a somewhat rocky serious promotion but with great talent), and more recently they've started adding several other companies. It's one of the best deals in wrestling.

NJPW is indeed around, but it's something of a blind spot for me. There's an NJPW thread and a Puroresu thread, both good places. There's also CMLL and AAA and tons of independents as well, most of which have YouTube channels if you want to check them out for free.

And if you prefer classic stuff, just go on YouTube and watch old AJPW (All Japan Pro Wrestling) and AJW (All Japan Women's Wrestling) shows and matches. Some of the hardest-hitting coolest poo poo you'll ever see.

Wrestling is awesome and there's so much cool and fun stuff out there. It's always good to expand your tastes and see what you like, so I hope this post helped. :)

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

History Comes Inside! posted:

Well they’re independent contractors so they should logically be personally responsible for ensuring they have all the right equipment for the job, it’s not like they’re WWE employees who only work for WWE and need to be provided for accordingly.

excuse me sir or madam, the gracious regime of Papa H has allowed one (1) GCW appearance and Jordynne Grace a small appearance in the Royal Rumble which I'm sure will be followed up with a full long term story. the industry leader once again innovating progress, much like when WWE generously negotiated a deal with Twitch as a middleman for their very independent contractors

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whoolighams posted:

excuse me sir or madam, the gracious regime of Papa H has allowed one (1) GCW appearance and Jordynne Grace a small appearance in the Royal Rumble

this is blatantly not true. if you're trying to score a cheap own , at least get your facts straight.
he allowed CM Punk to appear on dynamite

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

All joking aside for people getting into wrestling, even if you might not be into the storylines AEW has going right now their big shows always deliver on wrestling outside of a few things here and there and it's what I still show up for even though I just can't get into the weekly show anymore.

NJPW is another I show up for the big stuff and I never walk away disappointed in what I'm watching in the ring. But boy oh boy they book some meh stuff. David Finlay leading Bullet Club... yeesh brother.

I'll watch some GCW when I can catch it and that's pretty fun. Really any independent show I notice is on I'll check out unless it's too comedy oriented but that's just a matter of personal taste than anything else. I wanna see tough psychos knock the poo poo out of each other and do sick moves more than anything.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this is blatantly not true. if you're trying to score a cheap own , at least get your facts straight.
he allowed CM Punk to appear on dynamite

:rolleyes: now who can't get their facts straight, that was a talent exchange for AEW original Cody

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NWA has been on a meteoric rise as of late. Only fools will ignore them because they don’t have a cringe rich owner that is wasting their money like AEW

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Whoolighams posted:

excuse me sir or madam, the gracious regime of Papa H has allowed one (1) GCW appearance and Jordynne Grace a small appearance in the Royal Rumble which I'm sure will be followed up with a full long term story. the industry leader once again innovating progress, much like when WWE generously negotiated a deal with Twitch as a middleman for their very independent contractors

They also allowed Charlie Dempsey to show up in All Japan for 2 matches

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

NWA has been on a meteoric rise as of late. Only fools will ignore them because they don’t have a cringe rich owner that is wasting their money like AEW

Tyrus was truly their Roman.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ok seriously, if you like wrestling at all, AEW has one of the best rosters ever put together from a talent standpoint, and the booker/owner likes to show good matches with mostly clean finishes. There has never been an American wrestling company that puts out so much good wrestling at such a volume. Look at any show on cagematch for the last 40 years for comparison, you can put the best PPV's of any era against a random Dynamite and the Dynamite will hold up match quality wise and may blow it out of the water.

Even NJPW in its modern golden age of 2013 to around 2019, my favorite era of wrestling I have personally ever experienced, has trouble keeping up, because even at their best, they booked around the main events rather than telling people to go out there and give em bangers up and down the card.

We live in the greatest era of pro wrestling to ever exist if what you want is great matches between great talents on national television. Thats not even getting into the fact that AEW is booked sensibly, which is no small thing because American wrestling on the booking end of things has been god awful since like 1998 with few exceptions.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

remusclaw posted:

. Thats not even getting into the fact that AEW is booked sensibly

hmmm

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hey, it's wrestling. We have to grade on a curve.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I don't have the time to watch much of anything anymore, I barely get to watch movies in one sitting and have to watch them across two days.

I can always count on AEW matches showing up every day on my Youtube frontpage, and among those there ist at least one that grabs and holds my interest. Just 6-12 minutes of really solid wrestling featuring people I like, or learn to like.

I can't loving imagine the same thing happening with WWE for the same reason I can't imagine ever finishing watching The Marvels. The product itself is shoddy, the people behind it are evil and there is this implication of commitment I'd have to make because the people in charge suck at tellibg stories that have an ending.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Is their world champion still an obese Fox News contributor?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Endorph posted:

i think wwe will provide basic tights and stuff if you ask and if they have a specific gimmick in mind for you theyll make the gear themselves but stuff like 'a nice coat for wrestlemania' is usually purchased by the wrestler themselves via a third party. iirc jericho talks in one of his books about how he had to run around town trying to find someone to put new lights on one of his jackets the night before a mania.

I wonder what the extent of wwes quality is, in regard to specific gimmick gear because I would think that they would had the resources to do Jerichos jacket if given enough time.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you can't have a good time watching wrestling in this day and age, you should not be watching wrestling. It will never be as good as you think it should be.
Also this place is loving stupid, twitter is loving stupid, far too many people used to American wrestling have hate watched for two decades and they don't know how to have a good time anymore.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 12, 2024

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I watch ecw at 2am on the msg channel.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

remusclaw posted:

If you can't have a good time watching wrestling in this day and age, you should not be watching wrestling. It will never be as good as you think it should be.
Also this place is loving stupid, twitter is loving stupid, far too many people used to American wrestling have hate watched for two decades and they don't know how to have a good time anymore.

It is absolutely shocking how many people watch wrestling yet hate wrestling

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

remusclaw posted:

Good times never existed. Only less bad times. We hate watch because we have no love to watch.
AEW is a very less bad time.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

remusclaw posted:

Hell yeah

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Good times never existed. Only less bad times. We hate watch because we have no love to watch.
AEW is a very less bad time.

It existed, Netflix is about to get a reboot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

remusclaw posted:

Ok seriously, if you like wrestling at all, AEW has one of the best rosters ever put together from a talent standpoint, and the booker/owner likes to show good matches with mostly clean finishes. There has never been an American wrestling company that puts out so much good wrestling at such a volume. Look at any show on cagematch for the last 40 years for comparison, you can put the best PPV's of any era against a random Dynamite and the Dynamite will hold up match quality wise and may blow it out of the water.

Even NJPW in its modern golden age of 2013 to around 2019, my favorite era of wrestling I have personally ever experienced, has trouble keeping up, because even at their best, they booked around the main events rather than telling people to go out there and give em bangers up and down the card.

We live in the greatest era of pro wrestling to ever exist if what you want is great matches between great talents on national television. Thats not even getting into the fact that AEW is booked sensibly, which is no small thing because American wrestling on the booking end of things has been god awful since like 1998 with few exceptions.

I generally agree here. The wrestlers on AEW seem to have more freedom to do crazy poo poo and I really like the crossover with the other promotions.

My issue is that something is missing for me with AEW. With WWE, I can turn on a 3 hour episode of raw and do other stuff in the background while waiting for a good match or ignoring angles that bore me. On AEW, I have to always be paying attention because it’s match after match for 2 hours - and I just rarely have the time to sit and watch an entire product anymore.

WWE has a lot of talented guys, but is an evil company and and seems to focus too much on ridiculous moves like the Superman punch and the Samoan spike being finishers.

That being said, sharing the CM punk video struck me as a failing company screaming for attention.