Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Officer Sandvich posted:

I will boldly state that what is happening both in Ukraine and Gaza is relatively insignificant compared to what will happen to the entire human race for at least the next 50-100 years if Trump is reelected and remains there. If the new tri-Axis corner stone of BRICS achieves stability at least a third of humanity will be enslaved by 2100.

Lmao this is the stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Wilhelmine Germany was planning the genocidal colonisation of Poland before WW1. In that regard Hitler was literally just continuing existing imperialist policy.

https://twitter.com/mcinthedc/status/1778515333994676368

Bismarck set up the Prussian Settlement Commission laying the groundwork for Generalplan Ost lol

These loving people istg

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Officer Sandvich posted:

I will boldly state that what is happening both in Ukraine and Gaza is relatively insignificant compared to what will happen to the entire human race for at least the next 50-100 years if Trump is reelected and remains there. If the new tri-Axis corner stone of BRICS achieves stability at least a third of humanity will be enslaved by 2100.

Lmao this is some wild poo poo

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Brrrmph posted:

I can’t tell if people itt are progressive or righties anymore

I'm so far right I wrap around left due to the very famous and real horseshoe paradox

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

Lmao this is some wild poo poo

Someone got imprinted by Tiberian Suns.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

why not latinae

isn't that the right form anyhow

Latinayyy?

Who let the Italians in here?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Officer Sandvich posted:

some may say i’m a dreamer

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I laughed so hard at this. I just figured from reading that it would be la teen X or something, like keep the first two syllables, but everyone I ever heard actually say it pronounced it like a drat superhero name

Woke gaming industry keeps coming after our faves.

Personally, I'm sick of it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

His name is Mega Mano!!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eh, I dig the evolution of language as much as anybody else but it seems like a hell of a lot of political thinktank handwringing in an attempt to find the most inclusive way to "other" people

Now if it's actually coming from the communities instead of misguided liberals and scholars all the better, that just means it'll actually stick unlike latinx

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Maybe I'm nuts but I don't think the arbitrary grammatical rules about gender have much to do with the actual circumstances of gender equality in reality.

Japanese has no concept of grammatical gender whatsoever and very often you can't tell the gender of a person that you're speaking about until you actually specify it. And yet it's a really, really sexist society. I just don't think there's a really strong link there.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Every time someone posts these dumb rebuttals to the notion that Sotomayor should retire strategically I think of the ALAB podcast episode where they're discussing the RGB situation and I think Andy says something along the lines that strategic retirement only makes sense if you have an ideological goal and that while you'd expect that to be true of a political party on its face it's obviously not if you allow the other side to steal one of your nominations that's gifted to you (Scalia) and don't even try to play the game with RBG. The fact that you don't see the value in doing so is proof you aren't fit to be described as a political party. Doing politics is your raison d'etre and if it isn't, you aren't a political party."

Not saying anything that isn't completely understood by everyone ITT but I will say I must not be completely grounded in reality because it still surprises me that liberals are so goddamn dumb. I've met some truly stupid chuds but never one as completely braindead as your garden-variety liberal.
oh the dems most definitely share an ideological goal of killing a bunch of russians and so on

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

PhilippAchtel posted:

Bismarck set up the Prussian Settlement Commission laying the groundwork for Generalplan Ost lol

These loving people istg

this is the "more nuance" that everyone is apparently too dumb to understand:

https://twitter.com/mcinthedc/status/1778519835581804564

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Nichael posted:

it'd be nice if people sunk this much time into helping poor people and climate change

What a nonsense dichotomy. At least this post is in the right thread.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tristeham posted:

i thought latino was already gender neutral

Latino can be masculine or gender neutral depending on the context.

Much like how he can be masculine or gender neutral in English depending on the context. (If you've ever heard "every dog has his day", his is gender neutral there).

That use has been declining in English and you pretty much never hear it now outside of old-timey phrases like that. Using masculine pronouns as the default when someone's sex is unknown and unspecified comes off as sexist today, because language changes. Guys like William Safire fought against this but they couldn't hold back the tide.

E:
And like, nonbinary people (especially those assigned female at birth) don't often go by "he" citing its grammatical history as the gender neutral pronoun, and I expect few of them would be convinced to use he/him pronouns on that basis

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Apr 12, 2024

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nichael posted:

it'd be nice if people sunk this much time into helping poor people and climate change

lol ok this is dumb as gently caress. Succ equivalent of "Why don't they spend time helping veterans"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nichael in ruins

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

700B was right that the latins have innate machismo that must be countered through reeducation

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean idc if people want to be called latine it just seems like a goal that even if accomplished won't really result in much

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Eh, I dig the evolution of language as much as anybody else but it seems like a hell of a lot of political thinktank handwringing in an attempt to find the most inclusive way to "other" people

Now if it's actually coming from the communities instead of misguided liberals and scholars all the better, that just means it'll actually stick unlike latinx

It’s not the evolution of a language if liberals are pushing it because they believe language drives belief, and so they must change the Romance languages.

If there is a category of humanity that exists, that is essential, so they exist and have dignity whether or not language is modified by English speakers to follow English rules.

There was no word for (living) body in Homeric Greece, yet obviously they had, and were aware of, their bodies. For Christ’s sake.

This is one of the more birdbrained schemes from people who have a superficial and literal understanding of language and the mind. If a human being’s feeling of themselves extends beyond the limits of socially inscribed gender roles, their identity will not choke and die in their throats because they have to use their own tongue to express what exists in the mind.

If we believe this experience transcends hormones and chromosomes, it defies belief to suppose that language suffocates it.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 14:01 on Apr 12, 2024

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean idc if people want to be called latine it just seems like a goal that even if accomplished won't really result in much

it's a dumb twitter meme at this point, but I would emphatically prefer to be called a slur

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

Maybe I'm nuts but I don't think the arbitrary grammatical rules about gender have much to do with the actual circumstances of gender equality in reality.

Japanese has no concept of grammatical gender whatsoever and very often you can't tell the gender of a person that you're speaking about until you actually specify it. And yet it's a really, really sexist society. I just don't think there's a really strong link there.

They don't make people sexist, but some people still don't like terms that sound sexist. Like, saying "committee chairman" doesn't make people sexist or prevent women chairmen from being elected, but nevertheless it's not unreasonable that some people prefer more explicitly gender neutral titles like committee chair or head or whatever.

Rick posted:

I wouldn't say you're dead wrong but it was definitely used by many of the younger latinx (I'll use it since they wanted to use it) peers at my last job. Some of the older latinas (the term they preferred) really hated it though and was at a staff meeting wherein people got pretty fired up about it, while all us mixed/non-hispanic people in the room just tried to be as quiet as possible. Like with most of these things the right thing to do is to use the term that people like for themselves.

Yeah this dynamic plays out a lot I think. Some women (usually older) tend to see the replacement of sex-specific terms, customs, places, etc as taking something away from them, something that was just for them "why are you saying we can't be Latinas anymore!". Younger people are more likely to see gender neutral stuff as indicating greater equality and gendered forms as patronizing or exclusionary. The older women aren't automatically sexist, the younger women aren't automatically snowflakes, but time passes and in the long run the stuff younger people are doing will probably become the new standard.

Good example is Bette Midler hearing about the term "people who menstruate"
https://twitter.com/BetteMidler/status/1543979948611981313

She is not a sexist or a transphobe, but she is an Old and her initial reaction to an unfamiliar gender neutral term was "they're taking things away from women"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
What starts as academic make-work eventually filters out into greater professional-class society as students graduate and move on.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

as a latino if fellow spanish speakers wanted to be referred as latine or whatever then fine as long it comes from the communities themselves and not dumbass gringos that created garbage like latinx

either way ive never heard a single person say either but maybe others have

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Smash mouth say Latine

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Smash mouth say Latine

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
What does Ja Rule say about gendered language?!

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
Not voting for rapist, genocide supporting Biden? Must be nihilism that is creating this behavior in you. Disgust with the democrats? Misanthropy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sooner or later we're going to get back around to "latins" like a 1950s cop would say

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Israel: *swapping out for a fresh magazine*
Liberals: "Finally the war is tapering off, another Biden win!"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

PhilippAchtel posted:

These loving people istg

from the perspective of the global south all european leaders and hitler are equivalents

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

as a latino if fellow spanish speakers wanted to be referred as latine or whatever then fine as long it comes from the communities themselves and not dumbass gringos that created garbage like latinx

either way ive never heard a single person say either but maybe others have

Please, call us gringx

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

turdsx

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

As far as I know Latinx didn’t have some intentional start beyond academics trying to be gender neutral in papers and then other academics and students noticed and it kind of snowballed into a thing

I’m old enough that I was still in school while people were trying to sort out what came after the gender neutral he with various solutions like “one” instead of pronouns and the teacher in high school who recommended jumping between he and she in alternating paragraphs

The thing is if Latinx had caught on it would still get backlash but it clearly hasn’t caught on and at this point anyone trying to make it a thing is a dork

And I feel bad for anyone who hasn’t heard it spoken, it’s funny every time

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lateenx

throw all academics into a giant dumpster

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

HallelujahLee posted:

throw all academics into a giant dumpster

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pol Pot was right