Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Moxley would be a great champ but I hope it wouldn't mean having to track another show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

I hope Moxley comes out at chicago, in the black shooter trunks and lovely little boots like his G1 appearance, thats the scariest and coolest he's ever looked.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Saviour posted:

I hope Moxley comes out at chicago, in the black shooter trunks and lovely little boots like his G1 appearance, thats the scariest and coolest he's ever looked.

they’re right

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

The Saviour posted:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Saviour posted:

Well yeah he looked like American Minoru Suzuki

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
The tranquilo levels are off the charts
Can't wait for tonight :dance:
https://x.com/drainbamager/status/1778675486497071237?s=46

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
With Mox being off AEW TV for unspecified reasons I'm really thinking he's winning and tony was trying not run him ragged/risking him getting hurt by having tv matches/an aew ppv build to do

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I would love even the briefest of championship runs for Mox so I'm all on board

plus it would be really funny if Naito's triumphant reign was cut short by losing to a non-NJ worker on a foreign show

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I think it would be cool for Mox to be the first guy to have won the IWGP, WWE, and AEW world titles. Plus he can drop the belt to Shooter in a cool passing of the torch thing that they shoulda done with Naito and Tsuji (imo).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I think it would be cool for Naito to hold the title until Dominion at the very least. Honestly, he should probably drop it against whomever wins the G1. He certainly shouldn't lose it to a part-timer, though I suppose if he was going to then now would be as good a time as any, because BOSJ is coming up & so he'd only really need to appear on Wrestle Dontaku & Dominion. But generally I'm not wild on the champion not being on house shows from a business perspective.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is supposed to be the definitive run of Naito's career, I see zero argument for him to drop to Moxley, considering
1) It would totally scuttle that story.
2) It doesn't put over any of the Reiwa guys, which is what the point of this title run should be, and a quickie title run for Mox wouldn't accomplish that better than a long uninterrupted run from Naito would. Also, a quickie switch back-and-forth where Mox loses it back to Naito at Dominion or Forbidden Door just breaks up the reign and dilutes the rub.
3) It means the champion isn't on all the shows, which given New Japan's business right now, just seems like a bad idea to me.

If you wanted to use Moxley as the in-between to get from Naito to Tsuji, I can see an argument for that, but I think you would do that later on. Like, Moxley beats Naito at New Beginning after WK19, then Tsuji wins the New Japan Cup for the second year in a row and avenges Naito by beating Moxley? That'd be something you can really sink you teeth into. But if the goal is to get the belt to, say, Umino. I don't think going Naito > Moxley > Umino is better than just having Umino beat Naito who's been holding the belt for a year.

If we're gonna do a passing-of-the-torch kinda match from Mox to Umino, I think that'd be better with the Global championship? You can have Mox beat Nemeth at, I dunno, Forbidden Door, then have Mox defend the belt between Japan and AEW to put western eyes on it to build up to Mox vs. Umino at WK19.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 12, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

KungFu Grip posted:

With Mox being off AEW TV for unspecified reasons I'm really thinking he's winning and tony was trying not run him ragged/risking him getting hurt by having tv matches/an aew ppv build to do

He had a collab match with CMLL at the end of March and a an NJPW match like a week ago, so I don't think it's that Tony is keeping him off AEW or anything, he's definitely working

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like I get arguments on both sides and while I'm leaning towards keeping it on Naito till Dominion at least I can see why Mox winning would make sense. It's why the match is so interesting!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Looks like New Japan aren't offering Windy City for free for Japanese IPs this time around which is a bit of a shame, will probably still be worth the money even if getting up for a 7.30 am start is a pain

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So yeah what's the deal do I gotta pay extra for Windy City Riot?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Yeah all the USA shows are separate purchases on fite or the NJPW website

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SG Bamboo posted:

Looks like New Japan aren't offering Windy City for free for Japanese IPs this time around which is a bit of a shame, will probably still be worth the money even if getting up for a 7.30 am start is a pain

Yeah, I was just looking into this and the details are unclear. It says LIVE for non-Japanese territories which I assume means there will be a free-to-subscribers Japanese VOD, but no timeline for when it will be posted.

The card is better than the usual US shows so I'll probably pony up, but I liked the free-with-subscription option.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Another one in the pocket for "just wait, don't watch it live at that price"

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

SG Bamboo posted:

It's actually on one of the tv asahi stations in Japan as an exclusive

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I checked to see if it was on Fite and the "top trending" was for Windy City Riot so I clicked it to see what it cost, and it said "replay" and had a specific duration of 3 hours, 33 minutes listed which confused me till I realized it was the show from 2022. Apparently a lot of people are going to Fite and typing in,"Windy City Riot" in the search!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Is there an error here or are they actually running a six man title tournament with three teams?

https://www.njpw1972.com/tornament/171529?showCards=1

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

are they actually running a six man title tournament with three teams?

https://www.njpw1972.com/tornament/171529?showCards=1

edit: Oh yeah it's an error, it's 3 matches, not 3 teams

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=390232&page=2 House of Torture (EVIL, Sho, Kanemaru) is in the match against LIJ

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Feed actually looks pretty decent quality this time around, commentary is very quiet though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pre-show feed is live for those watching.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Preshow started :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/live/lJuNnrhBAv8?si=gOOE0PzZSYvBs04z

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
that's about the right level of prestige for those belts tbh

stream is live!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Wait, is there an ongoing Strong show I'm not aware of?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Windy City Riot just started, though it's still preshow 'til eight

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
That was a cool flip

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I thought Strong had ended but apparently this guy has been the "Strong Survivor" for multiple shows in a row?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Why go with the Aerial Chemist when Aerial Alchemist is right there?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

This Van der Griff guy looks like if Chase Owens actually took care of himself

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Styles Clash remains a Death Finisher in New Japan, nice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

I agree that he looks NOTHING like Chase Owens :hai:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Veda sounds like their voice is already halfway gone, hope they can make it through the show OK

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

SG Bamboo posted:

I was watching on mute and legit thought it was Chase

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Two TJPW alum on this NJPW show

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Alex and Trish :dance:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Really hope Alex Windsor has a good showing. She’s so good. The dog collar match she had with Dani Luna was brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Mina getting over in the US is completely unsurprising but it makes me happy.