Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
film professor phoning it in and gives everyone a B grade without watching any of them

edit: snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mauser posted:

film professor phoning it in and gives everyone a B grade without watching any of them

Just gets an F for not falling within runtime guidelines.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cartoon Man posted:

I always chuckle when he stumbles into the beyond section of bed, bath, and beyond. The rest of the movie is a mind gently caress though.

I was working at Bed Bath and Beyond when that movie came out and a bunch of middle aged white chuckle fucks would ask where the "beyond" section was. At one point I started sending them to storage or curtains.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was working at Bed Bath and Beyond when that movie came out and a bunch of middle aged white chuckle fucks would ask where the "beyond" section was. At one point I started sending them to storage or curtains.

Is there a clip online? I tried looking on youtube but my particular search just has him waking up in a bed while terry from reno 911 watches him

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

I still say that Bed Bath & Beyond could have not only saved itself from bankruptcy but become a titan of industry akin to Amazon if every store had stocked a single section of dramatically overpriced inscrutable mechanica made from metal and crystals. You know some dipshit would have bought a $10k copper and crystal fountain-clock just often enough to make it absurdly profitable across the chain, especially after the whole Influencer trend took off.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

canyoneer posted:

He submitted Schindler's List as a student film for one of his assignments.

And apparently he got credits for paleontology for Jurassic Park. According to a speech he gave.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Baron von Eevl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5rXBq7vyck

I worked at BB&B a decade after that movie came out and when asked, the serious answer was it was the website, the non-serious answer a store in a crowded mall nobody who lived in our area wanted to go to.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I still say that Bed Bath & Beyond could have not only saved itself from bankruptcy but become a titan of industry akin to Amazon if every store had stocked a single section of dramatically overpriced inscrutable mechanica made from metal and crystals. You know some dipshit would have bought a $10k copper and crystal fountain-clock just often enough to make it absurdly profitable across the chain, especially after the whole Influencer trend took off.

You kid, but they had a lot of insane, overpriced poo poo like that on the website, and none of it made any sense. Nobody who shopped at Bed Bath & Beyond was gonna drop $8K on a deluxe coffee maker (I believe it was Jura).

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Schindler's List was rough. We watched it in (Jewish) school. That said, I seem to remember it not really being that bad, probably because we'd already been taught a great deal about what happened during The Holocaust. Not to mention it's mostly about Jews being saved, for a change. The situation had about as good an outcome as one could hope for, under the circumstances. I have no great desire to watch it again, but going by the synopses I'd far more readily watch it than the other movies mentioned.

I will say, though, that because I am was a loving idiot, I thought that initial scene of the head Nazi sniping prisoners was him sniping guards for some reason, and so I was cheering him on...

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When I was a fedex guy Bed Bath & Beyond got hundreds of parcels daily of individual items for retail sale. That alone was an extremely senseless and gigantic waste of money that would have been avoided with any logistics work whatsoever. It was unthinkably stupid. Every single shipping bill for each item would have eaten the majority of their profit margin before they even made the sale.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

fartknocker posted:

You kid, but they had a lot of insane, overpriced poo poo like that on the website, and none of it made any sense. Nobody who shopped at Bed Bath & Beyond was gonna drop $8K on a deluxe coffee maker (I believe it was Jura).

I do not kid in the slightest. 100% of the problem with an $8,000 coffee maker is and was that it has an identifiable purpose. Doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down on inscrutable, incomprehensible things that could barely be called products at all would have made them the next Supreme, but before Supreme.

Commitment to the bit is, however, critical. Nothing cheap or fake in the Beyond bits, which is kind of the antithesis to the rest of their whole... model? (Do we call it a model if it demonstrably never really worked? I don't know). I'm not asking for changes to the core business, no, I just want to be able to browse arcane ephemera at the same place I go to get bathmats and guest bedroom comforters.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

down1nit posted:

plants do be dumping sperm into the air

Bunch of sex pests I tell you what. Nobody wants to see your genitals, plants! Put that poo poo away.

Wait, I'm getting reports of botanical gardens worldwide where humans specifically go to look at plant genitals. :what: No wonder the space aliens want nothing to do with us.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I like to smell them haha

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bunch of sex pests I tell you what. Nobody wants to see your genitals, plants! Put that poo poo away.

Wait, I'm getting reports of botanical gardens worldwide where humans specifically go to look at plant genitals. :what: No wonder the space aliens want nothing to do with us.

Actually, if you watch documentaries like Alien, you'll notice that aliens mostly go naked. The Predators are just really kinky.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Facebook Aunt posted:

aw, i really wanted to give them air from my lungs

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Amoeba102 posted:

And apparently he got credits for paleontology for Jurassic Park. According to a speech he gave.

Deserved, even if science has moved on further since then. I remember the "stupid taildragging swamp-dweller" portrayal of dinosaurs being still not unusual before 93 but Jurassic Park murdered it like a lawyer on a portajohn

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CloFan posted:

Hm, interesting twist to let the bad guys have superpowers. Or was the remote magic, like Click? Another move you should only watch once

It's very different than the album.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I can't remember for the life of me what thread it was in but someone here told a story about going on a first date and trying to be thrifty so they snuck a bottle of whisky into a movie theater and just chose one of the movies playing without knowing anything about it. They chose Leaving Las Vegas.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BallerBallerDillz posted:

I can't remember for the life of me what thread it was in but someone here told a story about going on a first date and trying to be thrifty so they snuck a bottle of whisky into a movie theater and just chose one of the movies playing without knowing anything about it. They chose Leaving Las Vegas.

A workmate got thrown out of a restaurant and decided to go to the cinema to sober up a bit. They were showing Salo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was gonna say, didn't Family Guy make the exact same joke? Which came first anyway?

Like how both Family Guy and the Simpsons came up with "Jebus" independently at the exact same time

e: nice "E=mc^2" there like at the Springfield Mystery Spot too lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

fartknocker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5rXBq7vyck

I worked at BB&B a decade after that movie came out and when asked, the serious answer was it was the website, the non-serious answer a store in a crowded mall nobody who lived in our area wanted to go to.

Yeah, "the beyond store" was one of the reasons I think it eventually collapsed. A poorly designed website that they cannibalized the in-store business to prop up by rewarding employees who redirect all their sales to web orders while allowing them to apply a 20% discount (eating up all profit) and waiving shipping (so in addition to the store losing a sale, the company would actively lose money for each customer) without any oversight.

One of my coworkers was apparently the top "beyond store" salesperson in the company and it's because she'd try to redirect every in person sale to the website with free shipping and 20% off.

freeedr posted:

When I was a fedex guy Bed Bath & Beyond got hundreds of parcels daily of individual items for retail sale. That alone was an extremely senseless and gigantic waste of money that would have been avoided with any logistics work whatsoever. It was unthinkably stupid. Every single shipping bill for each item would have eaten the majority of their profit margin before they even made the sale.

We received almost all of our merch on pallets from a warehouse, through the major freight shippers (DHL maybe? I forget who). FedEx would deliver a few dozen store to store transfer items and would take about as much of either store to store transfers or largely damaged merch that vendors wanted back.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Please move on from the depressing movies tangent, thanks.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

We received almost all of our merch on pallets from a warehouse, through the major freight shippers (DHL maybe? I forget who). FedEx would deliver a few dozen store to store transfer items and would take about as much of either store to store transfers or largely damaged merch that vendors wanted back.

This was long ago, but our local BB&B store had their own 40’ truck from our FedEx Ground warehouse. That truck only did two things: Bed Bath and Beyond in the morning, then go back and load up for a giant shopping mall. BB&B got as much as the entire mall every single day. They were the only business in the whole city with their own rollers and staging area in the warehouse. My daughter worked at BB&B for a bit during covid and college but she wasn’t sure about the freight etc so i don’t know if it was still the same.

(We put our most useless package sorter on that truck because it was the simplest)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My BB&B story is also how I knew it was totally, completely hosed when it was circling the drain.

My wife and I got a $100 BB&B gift card from someone when we got married. We went there a couple of times but didn't see anything we wanted. Finally when it was in the news constantly years later for how it was days away from going under we went there with the set mission of finding loving something, anything to spend that card on. Weird kitchen gadgets we'd never use. Over priced loofahs. Whatever.

Walking through that disaster of a store - organization was a joke - we could find loving nothing we wanted even for what was effectively free. We're standing around discussing maybe selling it on ebay for $.50 on the dollar when I realized they had a small corner section of weird, supposedly fancy candy and beer.

And that's how we bought $100 of bad candy and no-name "craft beer" that we later figured out was bottled by budweiser or someone.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Beer from BB&B sounds like a losing proposition regardless of the brewer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bed Bath Biergarten & Beyond

I just completely missed the whole drama arc of BB&B's downfall apparently. Back in the day like 2003-5 it was a perfectly normal place to get a coffee maker or some sheets or whatever and I did so a fair number of times. It was always full of people and seemed like a useful store. It caught me completely off guard when they "suddenly" imploded as far as I had been paying attention once I moved somewhere else and no longer had a house to keep furnished.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I bought a set of nice knives there around then and the cashier was new (or dim) enough to let me use my 20% coupon even though they were specifically mentioned on the coupon as not being eligible. Thanks BB&B!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I contributed to them dying because i only bought items there when they put out their “25% off any item” coupons (quarterly?) and then i would buy one expensive appliance at that steep discount and never spend any other money in the store. Way lower price than what i could find anywhere else in most cases.

That’s how i got most of my countertop appliances, except our coffee maker. The one i bought there somehow exploded coffee grounds everywhere (???) when you tried to use it, no matter how faithful to the directions you were. I’m not even sure about the physics of how it was happening. So i returned that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

That day he tore his shirt and jacket because he was flexing so hard.

Spielberg making Jurassic Park and Schindler's List in one year was loving Dragonball Z levels of flexing, good lord.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Oh come on that ones gotta be some psychology student study.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I do not kid in the slightest. 100% of the problem with an $8,000 coffee maker is and was that it has an identifiable purpose. Doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down on inscrutable, incomprehensible things that could barely be called products at all would have made them the next Supreme, but before Supreme.

Commitment to the bit is, however, critical. Nothing cheap or fake in the Beyond bits, which is kind of the antithesis to the rest of their whole... model? (Do we call it a model if it demonstrably never really worked? I don't know). I'm not asking for changes to the core business, no, I just want to be able to browse arcane ephemera at the same place I go to get bathmats and guest bedroom comforters.

Isn't there a store that does weird poo poo like that already?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Isn't there a store that does weird poo poo like that already?

I don't think sharper image is in business anymore.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

GladRagKraken posted:

I don't think sharper image is in business anymore.

First item on their website right now is a hummingbird feeder with a video camera

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Reminds me of a propaganda video from some totalitarian shithole where they only release images of things that look better than they actually are

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Potemkin bathworks.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Please move on from the depressing movies tangent, thanks.

I was just about to talk about your home movies!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

none of those buttons has genitalia

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Another fun part of spring :coolbird:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

That's not so weird. They do that at department stores because it looks nice and it's not practical to stock things on shelves 16 feet off the ground.