Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Are you a billionaire? Why should I trust you over a billionaire brain?

Ok yeah you’re right, I was speaking out of turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Real "first Chinese emperor trying to live forever by ingesting mercury" vibes here

he's probably not as healthy as he thinks he is, from some article:

quote:

It’s not just that medical professionals are skeptical of Blueprint’s ability to achieve immortality. They’re not even convinced Johnson’s routine is particularly healthy. Dr. Nir Barzilai, the director of the Institute for Aging Research at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, met Johnson in May, at the annual retreat for the Academy for Health & Lifespan Research. Barzilai recalls that when Johnson showed up, the doctors present were concerned. “He looked sick. He was pale. I don’t know what he did with his face,” Dr. Barzilai says, adding that he was alarmed by Johnson’s lack of fat, which plays an important role in the body. “All these MDs, we all kind of agreed that he didn’t look so great.”

Barzilai also has serious reservations about Johnson taking so many supplements and treatments at once, warning that all the different pills could interact with one another in dangerous ways. “What he’s doing hasn’t proven to be safe, because some of the treatments he’s taking are actually antagonizing to each other,” he says, adding that doctors normally research the effects of one drug at a time, rather than the cumulative effects of more than 100 pills at once. “Even if it works for him, how do you know it works for you?” Barzilai says. Blueprint, he adds, is “not an experiment that we accept as scientists or doctors.”

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MrQwerty posted:

Bryan Johnson's bluetooth cockring should have alerted him to the loss of virility due to the death of his lungs on night_boners.xls, :sad:

The little breath

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Real "first Chinese emperor trying to live forever by ingesting mercury" vibes here

Hey, I ain't going to laugh at Qin Shi Huang, when right now he could be laying in wait for us to finaly open in tomb, when he and his Terracotta army can get some T1000'esq revenge.

Apartently he was a bit of a dick, so we've probably done something to piss him off.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

zedprime posted:

How hard is it to make a nazi chat bot anyway? Tay was like 2016.

Tay was actually programmed from the bottom up by Microsoft and was a lesson in why chat bots need rail guards.

Grok et al are half-assed coats slapped on top of someone else's proprietary LLMs. Like this was just someone taking ChatGPT Select or whatever and telling it to be a nazi via prompts, which is not going to override its various hard-coded "don't be a nazi" directives.

No one is going to build a nazi chatbot from scratch, because nazis are stupid and lazy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Posting Musk in the Harry Potter thread

https://twitter.com/lindayaX/status/1778620234175512934

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

hear about this national debt thing???? Have you heard about this?????????

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I was expecting a testicle to show up at the end

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why doesnt elon help alleviate the national debt

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sentient Data posted:

Something tells me this is relevant to grok

Tangential but when I was working at that techbro blockchain place this one other guy got super into "training" ChatGPT in various ways and every time he showed off what he had been doing it was one of these massive walls of text where he is just issuing orders like to a misbehaving child. "You will not do X." "You do not believe Y." "Do not do that again." "That was incorrect." He just kept at it for weeks and weeks. It made me SO UNCOMFORTABLE.

I can't even bring myself to talk like that to a robot. But holy gently caress a certain kind of person seems to love doing it

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
These X ads make it seem like it's some corny 1980s deodorant.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

eeeeeewewwwww I just saw my first cybertruck

it really looks like poo poo lmao

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Data Graham posted:

Tangential but when I was working at that techbro blockchain place this one other guy got super into "training" ChatGPT in various ways and every time he showed off what he had been doing it was one of these massive walls of text where he is just issuing orders like to a misbehaving child. "You will not do X." "You do not believe Y." "Do not do that again." "That was incorrect." He just kept at it for weeks and weeks. It made me SO UNCOMFORTABLE.

I can't even bring myself to talk like that to a robot. But holy gently caress a certain kind of person seems to love doing it

You can also be polite and correct them nice and get good results. "That doesn't sound right are you sure, think carefully". If you need to make a wall of text like that the training data does not support what you are trying to make find a different LLM as your base. I'm still not sure what actual work your going to get out of these things often you have to fit the prompt and understand it so well it takes more time than doing it manually or coding a proper solution instead of loving with this poo poo.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Given how much of Elon's wealth is subsidized by the US govt maybe he shouldn't whine about the debt.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Non Compos Mentis posted:

why doesnt elon help alleviate the national debt

He will by making the nazi bot which will solve everything. And if it doesn't he will personally drive everyone, a few rich people and some people to work for them to mars.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

I think Harry Potter is absolute shite and have never felt differently, but there was a brief period where JK Rowling was celebrated because she was literally one of two billionaires that actually paid any tax in the UK*, and she talked about how it was her duty to support the nation that gave her everything she had and supported her during rough times in her life.

Then she got the mildest criticism of any billionaire ever and decided to devote her entire life to being completely awful, up to and including literal holocaust denial.

*the other being James Dyson, who pumped a fortune into the Brexit campaign and then promptly moved almost all of his operations overseas, destroying local industry and avoiding tax.

drat i thought british billionnaires would be better than this

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo that ending made me snort laugh

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
when i think 'british billionaire' i imagine an impossibly round man with a bowler hat and huge moustache smoking a pipe. and he is extremely evil, having been sent to the secret italian magic school hidden under the pope's house

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

kazil posted:

Posting Musk in the Harry Potter thread

Their advertising relevance is for poo poo. I’m not involved in marketing but for our financial year end they let all the teams provide stats on the “great things our people did this year” and the marketing slide included social media engagement.

Target engagement on LinkedIn was 9%, achieved 15%. Facebook was 5%, achieved 10%. Twitter/X was 3%, achieved was 1.7%.

Honestly I don’t know why they bother outside of LinkedIn (where sycophantic employees will engage) because we only deal with businesses, not Joe Public. I don’t know who is liking/responding to posts about a new service we’re selling or an event we held but they must be freaks.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BalloonFish posted:

I like the theory that the wizarding 'world' shown in the HP books is actually a weird self-secluding traditionalist sect. There are actually millions of witches and wizards just out in the world, living ordinary lives with electricity and cars and computers, getting useful educations and having regular jobs while discretely using magic in fun and useful ways.

Harry is completely unaware that his parents and everyone who knew them were actually wizard-Amish, so all he knows is that wizards in the UK are a few thousand weirdos who hate 'muggles', wear robes, write with quills, have house-elf slaves, play quidditch and send their kids to Hogwarts to only learn stuff like potions and astrology before getting jobs in their 'ministry'.

And that's why there are only six or whatever schools outside Europe, they all have lazy racist names that are basically 'magic school' in a single local language, why they have catchment areas that make no historical, geographical, cultural or political sense. And why they all teach the same sort of magic as Hogwarts - no sign of the panoply of African magical mythology that must exist, or eastern Asian or aboriginal Australian or Incan etc. etc. but all copy/paste versions of the curriculum of Hogwarts.

Because these schools are the magic equivalent of the real-world 'British Public Boarding Schools' you get dotted around the world as a legacy of colonialism. Just like the real thing, the HP ones exist only for rich weirdos to send their kids to to cosplay as British aristocrats and make connections in their exclusionary and incestuous world.

One reason Harry Potter spawned so much fan fiction was that JKR is such a lazy writer that exploring/explaining all the implications and loopholes of her half-assed, inconsistent world-building is much more fun and interesting than taking it at face value.

I'm reading Pale, by Wildbow, and it's funny how much more interesting and robust the magic system is. Despite being way more heavily limited and costly than HP's magic system, it's flexible enough that you can slot in basically any spiritual or mystic practice from anywhere in the world and have it work. That's partially because the Practice is indirectly born of humanity anyway, and is shaped by local cultural ideas and traditions. Stuff happens more easily the more it's done and the more people think it works some way, so if you have thousands or millions of people following certain beliefs and adhering to specific traditions then the spirits will respond to it and that will be just how things work

The protagonists even spend some time at a local school for practitioners (in Canada) and it's implied that there are probably thousands of similar institutions around the world all kind of doing their own thing for what makes sense there. The idea that there's only one school for a region that includes roughly a third of all of humanity is so laughable it's obvious Rowling spent less than ten seconds thinking about it. Even if there's only one wizard for every thousand or ten thousand muggles you'd still have a school with hundreds of thousands or millions of students

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

gschmidl posted:

Amazing to call the African school 2/3 of the name of the capital of Burkina Faso.

You can see the thought process. "What's the most gibberish sounding place there? I'll pick that and chop off the end, my readers will never know."

Oagadou is the name of a lost city prominent in West African myth and is what gave the Burkina Faso city and the capital of Ghana it's name.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Elon Musk: (slight chance of killing us)

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The best magic school is the one in Mashle where a strong boy just beats up all the magic jerks with his muscles until he beats up magic god.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The best magic is The Magicians where depression makes you more powerful and solving your depression means you will never do magic again.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Tay was actually programmed from the bottom up by Microsoft and was a lesson in why chat bots need rail guards.

Grok et al are half-assed coats slapped on top of someone else's proprietary LLMs. Like this was just someone taking ChatGPT Select or whatever and telling it to be a nazi via prompts, which is not going to override its various hard-coded "don't be a nazi" directives.

No one is going to build a nazi chatbot from scratch, because nazis are stupid and lazy.

Grok is xAI's own model. It outperforms GPT-3.5 on benchmarks in general, but is quite a ways behind GPT-4 and even more advanced models. Grok is also open source (weights, code), while GPT is not.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

When you get pneumonia and your lung capacity drops your lungs don’t age and then magically de-age when you recover

When you get older your lungs don't work as well. When you get pneumonia your lungs don't work as well.

A = A, dumbshit.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BigglesSWE posted:

The last FB movie was hilariously dumb. Apparently the wizards elect a world president (never mentioned before but ok) by first allowing a magical baby deer point out the wizard with “the purest of heart”.

Mind you, the deer does not actually pick the winner, it only shows who is objectively the best person for it, after which the wizards are free to elect whoever they want.

It’s like if SCOTUS, the day before the election, came out and said “turns out Donald J. Trump is Christ reborn. This is an objective truth. Now go out there and vote your conscience, folks!”

The whole series started out incredibly stupid and got stupider as it went along.

Start of first movie: American wizards are terrified of muggles, have Jim Crow laws against marriage etc and are under orders to obliviate any muggles who find out about them.

In spite of this the Second Salemers are out and about trying to alert muggles to the terrible menace of wizards among them, including going to the newspapers, holding rallies etc. The Aurors ignore this.

One of the Second Salemers runs an orphanage where she abuses the kids, including wizard kids, to the point of one of them manifesting a shrieky dark ultimate evil murderthing. The Aurors ignore this, except for one whose solution is to punch her in the face. The Aurors take her badge away for this.

I mean, if she was deliberately writing "wizard society is horrible, self-deceiving and fascist" it'd be great, but she very obviously isn't. She has this random list of tropes that she's mashed together with no interest at all how they fit or don't.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Most magic media that involves WW2 has evil Nazi wizards that need to be defeated or takes the path that wizards are detached in a negative way and wouldn’t help.

Rowling makes it so her bad wizard guy in WW2 wants to kill Hitler and needs to be stopped from doing that because it would be bad.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

afen posted:

Elon Musk: (slight chance of killing us)

Misleading title.

AI deaths to date: 0
Elon deaths to date: >1

Elon Musk: (definite chance of killing us)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If musk want's to kill people he should just do it and stop making all his poor innocent cars do all his dirty work. :(

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Runcible Cat posted:

The whole series started out incredibly stupid and got stupider as it went along.

Start of first movie: American wizards are terrified of muggles, have Jim Crow laws against marriage etc and are under orders to obliviate any muggles who find out about them.

In spite of this the Second Salemers are out and about trying to alert muggles to the terrible menace of wizards among them, including going to the newspapers, holding rallies etc. The Aurors ignore this.

One of the Second Salemers runs an orphanage where she abuses the kids, including wizard kids, to the point of one of them manifesting a shrieky dark ultimate evil murderthing. The Aurors ignore this, except for one whose solution is to punch her in the face. The Aurors take her badge away for this.

I mean, if she was deliberately writing "wizard society is horrible, self-deceiving and fascist" it'd be great, but she very obviously isn't. She has this random list of tropes that she's mashed together with no interest at all how they fit or don't.

Don't forget the American magic society's preferred method of execution is feeding you to a pool of mercury that was slowly dissolve you while erasing all memory of your existence.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What a bunch of fun anecdotes about harry potter

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

she wrote a series about inclusiveness and friendship beating right wing authoritarianism

And having defeated the right-wing authoritarianism they go right back to the utterly broken status quo that led to its rise in the first place. I mean, at the absolute bare minimum Slytherin house should've been banned. But nope!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oagadou is the name of a lost city prominent in West African myth and is what gave the Burkina Faso city and the capital of Ghana it's name.

Zero chance she knows this.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Uagadou doo doo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kazil posted:

JK Rowling is currently beefing with tons of people on twitter right now so maybe having Billions just rots your brain

Rowling had an interview where she said she doesn't intend to "forgive" the Harry Potter actors for acknowledging that trans people are people and that they should feel bad that she won't forgive her.

So, the whole internet has been making fun of her for the past 24 hours.

I love it when rich people who are so far up their own arses realise the world hates them and it just breaks their loving minds.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

DeeDee MegaUagadou

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Zero chance she knows this.

Another great example of her doing zero research - she put the North American wizarding school on top of Mount Greylock, the tallest mountain in Massachusetts, where it's supposedly concealed by magical mist and thick woods. As a New Englander this makes me laugh because I've been up there - there's a road to the not-too-far summit, and a visitor's lodge located at the peak.

Also supposedly the school is influenced by "Native American" magic, and I don't even want to know what that looks like.

Edit: To get us back on track a bit, considering the thread's original subject matter:

Also - "We're doing great, but also PLEASE GIVE US YOUR MONEY"

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 12, 2024

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Who gives a gently caress lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I quit coming to this thread for a while because it's depressing, but last night I had a dream that I was Elon's personal assistant, and at one point had the horrific realization that I was functionally this guy's conscience because he would listen to ideas I posited if I framed them right.

If guardian angels are a thing, that must be what it's like, watching these idiot monkeys and trying to make them act right by making them think it's their idea.

Rough.