Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I think it’s a little dumb that there’s only one command that costs more than one command point. Units having abilities that trigger off commands sounds interesting (more than just “this general can use issue the same command three times”).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if that's so they can give certain elite units a reduction to the command.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
40k 10's command point economy is mostly fine, I dunno why they didn't just go with that.

I'm down for the reformatting of the abilities and having unit abilities key off of them. The formatting seems a little wrong cos I had to remind myself that the trigger/timing of the ability is in the colored box where I'd expect the name of the thing to be.

I appreciate all out attack finally being clarified to work on horses and suchlike. Also interesting to see anti-X abilities but with the potential for different effects to be plugged in.

Idk I'll wait to see if its good but I did enter that dumb "win some start collecting sets" competition so I might have some Cities of Sigmar to draw me back in.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The whole model issuing command ranges and command points assigned only on one model things came up so rarely that I'm glad it's all getting scrapped. Redeploy changes gonna make blocking movement lanes harder but also make deep strikes way less effective as they can now be reacted to. Unleash hell rework seems interesting. on the one hand you can't prevent the double shooting by not charging, but also you can choose which unit gets shot at by making sure the least important guys are slightly in front.

The whole declare-react-do ordering seems a little murky still. Does any rolling happen in the declare step? If not, does that make Forward to Victory something you have to pay for before you do the charge roll and potentially waste a point on?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think it basically gives you a reroll? So, in this new version, you declare the charge, spend the point, and then you make the rolls. Im guessing this means you have to spend it up front and not as a reaction to seeing a failed roll.

This kind of timing question is gonna come up a lot as GW rules writers flail at making these more explicit templated abilities work.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 10, 2024

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Managed to get a box of Spire Warriors for retail, hoping to use them for count as Marauders when the time comes. Any ideas for the 10th men? When's the Darkoath Warqueen getting reprinted?

Alternativly, when does this buff lady come out

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 10, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm not clear on the chariot's charge phase ability, which doesn't bode well.

Are we looking at a chance to deal two to three mortals two out of three times, or a chance to do one to three mortals five out of every six times?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

When the Darkoath models come out.

As for when that happens?
v:v:v

In regards to the Warqueen, see above.

Either someone manages to leak a release date, or GW will just announce it one Sunday that they're going up for pre-order the weekend after that one. That's usually how it goes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm not clear on the chariot's charge phase ability, which doesn't bode well.

Are we looking at a chance to deal two to three mortals two out of three times, or a chance to do one to three mortals five out of every six times?

You roll one d3. If it’s a 1, nothing happens. If it’s a 2, deal 2 mortals. If its a 3, deal 3 mortals.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

The whole declare-react-do ordering seems a little murky still. Does any rolling happen in the declare step? If not, does that make Forward to Victory something you have to pay for before you do the charge roll and potentially waste a point on?

Rules as written, Forward to Victory is a Reaction Command, and you would have to use & resolve that effect before resolution of the original Charge. Now, we don't know what the rule-book text of Charge is going to be in this edition yet, if the dice roll is part of declaration or part of the effect. If you go back to Nagash's warscroll and look at "Invocation of Nagash" the casting roll is done during the Declaration step of casting the spell. So if that indicates how rolls work for abilities in 4e, you won't have to pre-emptively use Forward to Victory before rolling the charge.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Desfore posted:

Rules as written, Forward to Victory is a Reaction Command, and you would have to use & resolve that effect before resolution of the original Charge. Now, we don't know what the rule-book text of Charge is going to be in this edition yet, if the dice roll is part of declaration or part of the effect. If you go back to Nagash's warscroll and look at "Invocation of Nagash" the casting roll is done during the Declaration step of casting the spell. So if that indicates how rolls work for abilities in 4e, you won't have to pre-emptively use Forward to Victory before rolling the charge.

Yeah I’m hoping that’s the case but it’s weird to see it right alongside the ‘don’t roll for running’ command that would imply the run dice roll is in the resolve part of the action. Doesn’t seem all that standard so far.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

Yeah I’m hoping that’s the case but it’s weird to see it right alongside the ‘don’t roll for running’ command that would imply the run dice roll is in the resolve part of the action. Doesn’t seem all that standard so far.

Well, in the same spell on Nagash, you also roll a D3 for mortal wounds in the Effect section. So, maybe Run is templated that the effect has you roll to see how many inches you get? If that's the case, then I already see this edition devolve into ruling headaches as more books are released

Desfore fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 10, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Vintage 3.0 question: how many warp lightning cannons is the correct number to take, assuming they've got an engineer to hang out with them?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

grassy gnoll posted:

Vintage 3.0 question: how many warp lightning cannons is the correct number to take, assuming they've got an engineer to hang out with them?

I tend to take two with a single engineer. Once the first burns out, they can help run the second in all its glory. I tend not to take more than two since it can be a bit Negative Play Experience when you roll really hot.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Crazy Ferret posted:

I tend to take two with a single engineer. Once the first burns out, they can help run the second in all its glory. I tend not to take more than two since it can be a bit Negative Play Experience when you roll really hot.

Fantastic, because that is coincidentally exactly how many I needed to fit into this list. Thanks!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
What are endless spells? The minis on the store page look super awesome but im curious what their role in the game is.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

What are endless spells? The minis on the store page look super awesome but im curious what their role in the game is.

Physical representations of spells cast by wizards that do various things like move around the table causing damage, or confer effects to the area around them. They have a points cost like a unit, and if you have one in your list every wizard in your army has the ability to cast it. Enemy wizards/priests can try to remove existing endless spells in later turns. Most factions get 3 unique ones and there are a bunch of unaligned ones any army can include that came in with the current season of matched play.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Crazy Ferret posted:

I'm pretty sure one engineer can buff multiple Warp Lightning Cannons. The ability is keyed to the Cannon and the only limiter is the same unit (ie that specific cannon) can't benefit from it more than once in a single phase.

I currently take 2, if I had the ability to take 3 I would (but I am too lazy to assemble and paint the third one). You generally want more than 1 though to smooth out the massive variance the weapon has.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also the fact that odds are one of them is going to blow itself up every two games or so.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Whats the difference between vanguard and spearhead boxes?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sharkopath posted:

Spearhead are the new upcoming ones that will be made for both starting a collection and Spearhead games.

Also update.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/12/how-battle-traits-and-battle-formations-shape-your-army-in-newaos/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Guess wholly within isn't going away.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That’s not a surprise. Heroic Actions going away kind of is, tho.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

From the various promo pictures GW has put out including one where the stormcast(?) spearhead is set up battling the nurgle vanguard, it appears that they are planning to do spearhead rules for many of the existing vanguard boxes. So functionally there isn’t a difference. If they bring out a spearhead box to replace the vanguard box for a faction before 4th launches though, they might not support the old one. Skaven is the most likely candidate for this treatment. Also they might not bother to support the BoC box.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Beasts are supposed to get support at launch.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Though if the Stormcast and Skaven spearhead are anything like the 40k Combat Patrols for the starter armies they're going to be bad money sinks. The 40k versions are $160 apiece and the starter set that gives the contents of both is $180.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Chucat posted:

I'm pretty sure one engineer can buff multiple Warp Lightning Cannons. The ability is keyed to the Cannon and the only limiter is the same unit (ie that specific cannon) can't benefit from it more than once in a single phase.

I currently take 2, if I had the ability to take 3 I would (but I am too lazy to assemble and paint the third one). You generally want more than 1 though to smooth out the massive variance the weapon has.

You learn something new every day. Thanks as I honestly thought it was the other way around for some reason.

So far, all the changes seem really positive. I'm very curious to see what happens with magic and prayers though.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Crazy Ferret posted:

You learn something new every day. Thanks as I honestly thought it was the other way around for some reason.

So far, all the changes seem really positive. I'm very curious to see what happens with magic and prayers though.

It used to be - last book it was 1:1 but Bombardiers could power cannons as well. Changes each book it seems

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think one of the advantages WHFB had, one of the few, over WH40k, was that the edition boxes had different armies in them each time. It made buying the new edition starter kit kind of fun, especially if it had armies you currently didn't collect, because you wouldn't get overlap, and it was a good way to boost and showcase different factions. It also helped make it so that one faction didn't get most of the attention.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sure, but if we squeeze hard enough, we'll eventually get Space Marines Again.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd say them lopping off half of the Stormcast range feels like them giving up on that. That said, this edition was kind of a missed chance to make Cities of Sigmar the starter box faction for a change.

Fantasy in general, but especially Age of Sigmar, kind of has a more cosmopolitan feel to it than 40k. Outside of Morathi and the Idoneth, all of the Order factions feel on pretty good terms with each other, so you could rotate out who the "hero" is every box set really easily.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Tonight I assembled my first AoS miniatures. Inform the men.

It's those Stormcast Eternals with very long crossbows and the usual word salad name.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/14/sunday-preview-darkoath-marauders-old-world-orcs-and-more/

For whoever was wondering when the new Darkoath models are released. The answer is two weeks as they go up for pre-order next weekend.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So are these darkoath people just chaos undivided or what?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Presumably.

They're getting their own book supplement which goes into "slaves to darkness" because games-workshop had to rename everything and chaos undivided isn't a good enough marketing brand.

Edit: But yeah these are just supposed to be new chaos marauders, because those never got updated since fantasy days.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 15, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lostconfused posted:

Presumably.

They're getting their own book supplement which goes into "slaves to darkness" because games-workshop had to rename everything and chaos undivided isn't a good enough marketing brand.

Slaves to Darkness has been used for Chaos followers for decades.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That range is so good. If I have the time for hams I'd go in on darkoath or cities. Love a chaos marauder army.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Darkoath are replacing both the old marauders and the cultist war bands that just got squatted. They're for when you want naked Frazetta guys instead of armored Frazetta guys.

Currently they're optimal for the S2D ravagers subfaction, where you get to bring back dead cultist units, but they didn't think about the rules hard enough and so the recurring cultist subfaction is also the best place to run Archie.

4.0, who knows?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/15/fulfil-your-oaths-and-slaughter-the-weakling-servants-of-sigmar-with-these-darkoath-rules/

We get a brief look at some of the new Darkoath rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
New Stormcast models are slappin hard, this is cool