Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout 5 taking place in a double apocalypse would be kind of funny to see though.

Bethesda with another "vault dweller" coming out to the "real world" again setting

JFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished the show. Overall pretty drat good, especially if you have a fondness for the FO3/4 take on the Wasteland.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I watched episode two and hated it. My biggest complaint is how there's also no real connective tissue between locations. The characters are just going from one setpiece to another and there's no sense for how these places relate to one another. They're somewhere, they walk through some nondescript desert, and they're in another place, presumably an hour later because I have no idea how much time has passed.

One big action scene so far, and it was incredibly boring. I won't be watching any more.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I did laugh at how one of the first things you see in the second episode is a bunch of posed skeletons in a ruined house—Bethesda Supremacy right there, I wonder how many people said “wow that’s amazing environmental storytelling” after seeing that scene

Disclaimer—I have now watched the first three episodes and quite frankly I’m enjoying the show! It’s good and Walton Goggins is great! And the prewar stuff that Bethesda is obsessed with is done a million times better than it was in any of the Bethesda games!

I guess this means that the New Vegas retcon will hit me even harder :(

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sheen Sheen posted:

I did laugh at how one of the first things you see in the second episode is a bunch of posed skeletons in a ruined house—Bethesda Supremacy right there, I wonder how many people said “wow that’s amazing environmental storytelling” after seeing that scene

That got a good laugh out of me, and I basically did say exactly that out loud lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I am four episodes in and I'm enjoying it

it's like they (rightly) told everyone "it's just a silly rear end videogame with skeletons making tea and dudes in assless chaps blowing people's heads up with teddy bears, just have fun with it." and they did have fun with it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The "New Vegas is retconned" is as true as the "Bethesda sabotaged the bug fixing to ensure Obsidian didn't get their 85% on Metacritic money bonus", meaning not at all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So did they have the NCR destroyed, or not? Because if yes, it doesn't matter whether it retcons NV or not, the important thing is it basically kills any hope for another Fallout game set in the west (not that there was much to begin with). Slamming the reset button on an established setting for no reason other than that it probably doesn't align with the brand image is something only creatively bankrupt hacks do (so I guess I shouldn't be surprised)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Better to kill it than let it be despoiled by Turd "The Bad Games Man" Howard IMO.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on how you view it. If you view an entire civilization as one town with a fast travel marker ala Bethesda then yes, the NCR is gone with the destruction of Shady Sands.

If you view a civilization as a country made of multiple interconnected villages, towns and organizations and institutions united under one flag? Well who the hell knows because the NCR isn't mentioned by any wastelanders in the show before it is named and wiped out in the same conversation.

There is a lot to like in the show but if you're looking for a follow up on the extended sociology lesson that is New Vegas it ain't that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Random thought: if licensing 50s music hadn't been so cheap would the whole 50s trappings thing have become the defining aesthetic of the series? There's only hints of it in Fallout 1 and 2 (and honestly 2 has so many random pop culture references and motifs it's kind of moot) and it isn't until 3 where they really go all in on it, but watching the show and haven't them play funny 50s song every few minutes it made me wonder.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

Random thought: if licensing 50s music hadn't been so cheap would the whole 50s trappings thing have become the defining aesthetic of the series? There's only hints of it in Fallout 1 and 2 (and honestly 2 has so many random pop culture references and motifs it's kind of moot) and it isn't until 3 where they really go all in on it, but watching the show and haven't them play funny 50s song every few minutes it made me wonder.

Cain has talked about the retro future 50's Asthetics a bit and it seems the artists on the game just really liked that aesthetics. Possibly it wouldn't of been as prominent in the games 3 onwards, but I don't know it was already baked into the games quite a bit by that point. Certainly in all the pre-war stuff.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The intro cutscenes for Fallout 1&2 featured Ink Spots and Louis Armstrong, so the 50s music theme was established fairly early on.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I’m pretty sure the 1950s represent a time of extreme optimism and naivety, which is why is works so well against the arrogant destruction of civilization, but that could just be my opinion.

Watch all 8 episodes before you decide if you like the show. I really enjoyed it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's a bad show, but it's not specifically a bad show because it's a weird, bad continuation of the storyline of the West Coast, but because it's exactly the sort of take on Fallout you'd expect from the Westworld writing team, which means everything is subsumed into mystery boxes and a grand conspiracy with other character motivations and materialistic concerns being completely subordinated to that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

tango alpha delta posted:

I’m pretty sure the 1950s represent a time of extreme optimism and naivety, which is why is works so well against the arrogant destruction of civilization, but that could just be my opinion.

Nah, they were well aware that 50's optimism and post apocalyptic results make for a great contrast. It's pretty obvious in a lot of the humour.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's a bad show, but it's not specifically a bad show because it's a weird, bad continuation of the storyline of the West Coast, but because it's exactly the sort of take on Fallout you'd expect from the Westworld writing team, which means everything is subsumed into mystery boxes and a grand conspiracy with other character motivations and materialistic concerns being completely subordinated to that.

Please actually watch the show until the end. It’s not a continuation, it’s a reimagining and a pretty good one at that.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Nah, they were well aware that 50's optimism and post apocalyptic results make for a great contrast. It's pretty obvious in a lot of the humour.

Exactly. You said it better than I.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Please actually watch the show until the end. It’s not a continuation, it’s a reimagining and a pretty good one at that.

I did. Nothing in the ending really invalidates anything I said. Obviously you're free to have a different opinion, but I didn't state anything wrong specifically about the facts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I watched the entire show, and spoilers inbound.

The fall of the NCR haunts the enitre back half of the show. You meet a cattle baron who's styling himself President, the woman who set things in motion (Moldover?) is trying to revive the NCR using the cold fusion macguffin. You see a farmer in Ranger armor. When Lucy unfurls the NCR flag in Vault 4, you can hear the New Vegas main menu theme.

I think there's this belief that if civilization is allowed to rebuilt too much, it's not Fallout anymore. We clearly don't agree, but that's the idea they go with. So we have the good endings of the game as stopping points, and the Fallout emdia will instead follow the bad endings.

The fall of the NCR make sit become another myth of the Wasteland. A lost Silver Age people will try to bring back much like the Golden Age of pre-war.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I did. Nothing in the ending really invalidates anything I said. Obviously you're free to have a different opinion, but I didn't state anything wrong specifically about the facts.

lol, I’m pretty sure your post is what we out here in the Wasteland call an opinion, just like mine is.

I binged all 8 episodes. When I do that that tells me that I really enjoyed the show.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

lol, I’m pretty sure your post is what we out here in the Wasteland call an opinion, just like mine is.

I binged all 8 episodes. When I do that that tells me that I really enjoyed the show.

Okay? I didn't say nobody could enjoy the show. You specifically told me to watch to the end because I was wrong and the show wasn't a continuation but some kind of bold reimagining. It isn't. It's written clearly as a sequel to the first two games and arguably New Vegas, although based on the timeline, New Vegas also shouldn't have happened.

That was in response to me explaining why I think it's a bad show, which I stand by, it's mystery box bullshit that plays deftly with aesthetics it ultimately doesn't really want to fill with genuine meaning.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

The fall of the NCR make sit become another myth of the Wasteland. A lost Silver Age people will try to bring back much like the Golden Age of pre-war.

They already showed people trying to bring it back, so yeah that certainly seems to be a thing. Which makes a lot of sense as NCR is meant to of been gone within living memory.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I didn't watch it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Should've gone with the Dead Money ending where Elijah's army of holograms and toxic clouds is purging the earth

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Should've gone with the Dead Money ending where Elijah's army of holograms and toxic clouds is purging the earth

Should of gone with the cut Old World Blues ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCN6RvKaEg
Why shouldn't those kindly old mad scintists be allowed to collect some more data for their research!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dr_rat posted:

Should of gone with the cut Old World Blues ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCN6RvKaEg
Why shouldn't those kindly old mad scintists be allowed to collect some more data for their research!

That one really goes hard lol

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I finished the tv series. The first two episodes were a little weak and overly gratuitous/fanservicy but it becomes a much better actual show later on. Excited for season 2.

IMO the show is a slight retcon to New Vegas as it changes some of the context but it doesn't really contradict anything plot relevant.

As far as I can tell, there was absolutely zero reason to put the bombing of Shady Sands 4 years before New Vegas started, instead of like 2 years after, so the cynic in me thinks it was all ambiguous on purpose to stir the pot and generate internet controversy.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Okay? I didn't say nobody could enjoy the show. You specifically told me to watch to the end because I was wrong and the show wasn't a continuation but some kind of bold reimagining. It isn't. It's written clearly as a sequel to the first two games and arguably New Vegas, although based on the timeline, New Vegas also shouldn't have happened.

That was in response to me explaining why I think it's a bad show, which I stand by, it's mystery box bullshit that plays deftly with aesthetics it ultimately doesn't really want to fill with genuine meaning.

I really enjoyed the show because it’s quite good. But it does not feel like New Vegas at all, which might be why it bothers you so much. It does however feel very very much like 3 and 4.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

esquilax posted:

As far as I can tell, there was absolutely zero reason to put the bombing of Shady Sands 4 years before New Vegas started, instead of like 2 years after, so the cynic in me thinks it was all ambiguous on purpose to stir the pot and generate internet controversy.

In New Vegas' backstory, didn't the NCR's gold reserves get nuked, and that's why their dollar is struggling vs caps and Legion coin?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Byzantine posted:

In New Vegas' backstory, didn't the NCR's gold reserves get nuked, and that's why their dollar is struggling vs caps and Legion coin?

I have never heard this. Their money problems seem to just stem from people preferring caps over paper and also having to take Legion money if they want to trade with the legion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The show is very much pushing a Interplay/Black Isle/Obsidian Fallout-shaped peg through a Bethesda-shaped hole. The edges will invariably be shaved down to fit.

It was never going to be New Vegas 2 and I wasn't expecting it to be. That's why, despite my issues with the way the NCR stuff is handled, I am mostly positive on the show. It's bad in the way most modern TV is bad, not because it's taking the lovely attitudes that often come with video game adaptations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Byzantine posted:

According to the wiki (which is sourcing from Sawyer) the Brotherhood raided/stole the reserves so the NCR switched from a gold standard to fiat currency.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I really enjoyed the show because it’s quite good. But it does not feel like New Vegas at all, which might be why it bothers you so much. It does however feel very very much like 3 and 4.

It actually doesn't, Bethesda's games pride themselves on their sense of place, which is totally absent in the TV show. What remains is the iconography.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Personally speaking, NCR is my favorite faction in the games and having the world and continuity warped for the sole purpose of unceremoniously blowing them up really kills my enthusiasm to watch the show, regardless of anything else.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Making stuff that isn't New Vegas is just really weird when you think about it. You could do something good, but instead do something bad?? Doesn't make sense imo

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It actually doesn't, Bethesda's games pride themselves on their sense of place, which is totally absent in the TV show. What remains is the iconography.

lol, im starting to think you haven’t actually watched the show because it absolutely nails the Fallout 3/4 vibe.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i think they instead should have adapted fallout new vegas with mark wahlberg as the courier and mila kunis as mr house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

watho posted:

i think they instead should have adapted fallout new vegas with mark wahlberg as the courier and mila kunis as mr house

All you need to do is wait for the inevitable Family Guy Fallout episode.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 12, 2024