Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just reduce the settings in the games you are running if they thermal throttle. Reduce the refresh rate, use lower quality shaders or AA. Use DLSS or other upscaling to lessen the load the game places on the system.

There may be options to enable hard TDP limits in the videocard's settings in windows too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Something I do want to add is that laptop has the same display that my Legion 7 Slim comes with and its absolutely glorious, you won't be disappointed.

One thing I do find a bit curious is that while the 7 Slim is entirely metal the 7 Pro is all metal except for the keyboard deck which is plastic. I wonder if metal construction helps with heat dissipation.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How is the Acer Chromebook 315 as a budget option for someone who just wants to browse the internet/facebook and watch videos?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Thanks again, all🙏🏽 Will report back when it explodes 😁

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

RatHat posted:

How is the Acer Chromebook 315 as a budget option for someone who just wants to browse the internet/facebook and watch videos?

Not familiar with what prices are like in Canada but if they're anything like the UK at that price point you're better off getting an ex-corporate Thinkpad off eBay. In fact unless you actually are looking to play games getting an ex-corporate Thinkpad is a good solution to a lot of problems. Just make sure you get one with an IPS display.

Naturally I use my Legion 7 Slim for gaming and any intensive tasks but my Thinkpad X280 is the rugged workhorse that actually travels around my home and elsewhere.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RatHat posted:

I'd say it will likely be slow but would get the job done. Personally I think Chromebooks do best as 2-in-1s, and if you shop around you can find better deals. I'm not sure about the conversion rate, but I think I paid about that or less on an ASUS Chromebook 2-in-1 with a better processor and more RAM a couple years ago.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Lord Ludikrous posted:

One thing I do find a bit curious is that while the 7 Slim is entirely metal the 7 Pro is all metal except for the keyboard deck which is plastic. I wonder if metal construction helps with heat dissipation.

In theory it can (increasing surface area makes it easier to dump heat) but in practice the manufacturers are probably doing it for the 'premium' aesthetic more than anything else. Users tend to complain when their limbs start getting toasty because the chassis is doubling as a heat sink, but reviewers won't hesitate to complain it feels cheap when made of plastic.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

RatHat posted:

Try asking in the Chromebook Megathread

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd say it will likely be slow but would get the job done. Personally I think Chromebooks do best as 2-in-1s, and if you shop around you can find better deals. I'm not sure about the conversion rate, but I think I paid about that or less on an ASUS Chromebook 2-in-1 with a better processor and more RAM a couple years ago.

thats what i just paid for the latitude 2-1 detachable with a 10th gen i5/16gb ram/256g NVME

honestly the thing is pretty great as a bizarro netbook

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Not familiar with what prices are like in Canada but if they're anything like the UK at that price point you're better off getting an ex-corporate Thinkpad off eBay. In fact unless you actually are looking to play games getting an ex-corporate Thinkpad is a good solution to a lot of problems. Just make sure you get one with an IPS display.
Or a Yoga. Time to reiterate what I said several months ago, if you compare the specs of a $200 ebay Yoga against a $400 chromebook, the Yoga comes out twice as good on every major metric (processor, storage, RAM), ~same on weight, better on build quality, and the one catch is a fair bit worse on battery. Stick Ubuntu on it and after a couple of minor tweaks you've got something pretty much just as user-friendly as a chromebook too. More user friendly in a couple of years when Google goes "gently caress you your chromebook is unsupported no more updates".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Every Chromebook model released from 2021 onward has 10 years of updates.

It's also going to do better than anything short of a Mac with regards to standby time and how quick it resumes after sleep. I reach for my Chromebook FAR more often than I reach for my Windows based laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah Chromebooks are fine/good as long as you don't have a hyper specific set of applications you need to use. Most critical developer tools run on Chromebook now as Google uses them internally for many of their engineers

I haven't tried it personally, but I think I read there's some support for steam now

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Can a Chromebook run VSCode?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If the Chromebook supports Crostini, yes: https://code.visualstudio.com/blogs/2020/12/03/chromebook-get-started

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Can a Chromebook run VSCode?

Many can, I'd confirm that the Chromebook you are looking at supports "Linux mode" or whatever it's called.

I've used it even on $199 education specials with an 8 year old Celeron.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah my last Chromebook was purchased in ~2018 on clearance and it supported vs code via crostini. It was pretty rough back then, and unsupported but (checks date) that was six years ago now. That's probably also how beta level steam support works

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I ran ChromeOS on a Thinkpad for a bit and found to be pretty painful to use tbh. YMMV but might be worth trying it first.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have an ARM Chromebook with the Mediatek Kompanio 828 (think 7nm phone chip with a mix of A76 and A55 cores) and while it's no speed demon, especially compared to Intel Chromebooks, it does all the time-waste Internet stuff I need it to. And since it's ARM, it does it with zero heat production, no fan, and like 20 friggin hours of battery life. That is where Chromebooks shine and once you start getting into the 500+ dollar ones with i3/i5 chips they lose that fanless appeal imo and you might as well pick up something on sale like a Yoga7.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

and while it's no speed demon, especially compared to Intel Chromebooks, it does all the time-waste Internet stuff I need it to. And since it's ARM, it does it with zero heat production, no fan, and like 20 friggin hours of battery life. That is where Chromebooks shine and once you start getting into the 500+ dollar ones with i3/i5 chips they lose that fanless appeal

Adding this to the OP

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I bought this for an upcoming road trip about a month ago. Also I've lost all my other battery banks for whatever reason.

Anker Prime Power Bank, 27,650mAh 3-Port 250W Portable Charger (99.54Wh)

https://a.co/d/6Qp4WKv $189.99

I don't know if that's an affiliate link or not I'm on my phone apologies if it is. I don't think it is

It's pretty neat, it can do 125w to two different devices simultaneously. I'm in my dining room working from here and forgot to bring my charger and... It's fine? It's been topping off my M3 MacBook pro between 65 and 85w this morning, and kept my laptop topped off all day yesterday and still has about 50% charge left

I've been looking for a true travel battery for my laptop since like 2017 this one seems pretty good. I haven't taken it on the road yet but being an Anker, seems like a pretty safe bet

I guess Anker is selling a fast charger for the batteries as well, I guess they want AV guys to buy like six of these and use them on high drain devices and swap them multiple times per day, or something

Form factor is a little weird, it's shaped like a red brick, but it's about half the size, and comes with a little fabric travel pouch, which is nice because the battery has an OLED status screen. Supposedly it has Bluetooth but that just seems excessive imo I dunno what you'd even use it for

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fun thing about that one is you can charge it from both USB-C ports at once to get a max 170w charge rate to the battery.

I've been tempted, but I have the slightly older 747 and I don't really have any need to change two devices over 100w at once.

The Bluetooth mirrors the charge rates you see on the screen and you can also enter the battery capacities of the devices you you are charging in the app and it will tell you how many full charges you can do of the device based on the current capacity of the battery.

Also, Bluetooth and the app will do firmware updates which is pretty nice as batteries are usually quirky with protocols and having the ability to fix bugs is nice.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 10, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hadlock posted:

Supposedly it has Bluetooth but that just seems excessive imo I dunno what you'd even use it for

Wattage OTA.

I think the BT is to make it chirp so you can find it primarily, and to display what I assume is a totally unnecessary dashboard.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ah interesting about the Bluetooth. Being able to make it chirp would be nice my office or suitcase is often a mess

bull3964 posted:

I've been tempted, but I have the slightly older 747 and I don't really have any need to change two devices over 100w at once.

Yeah I don't need this ability but a lot of the dual USB-C stuff is like, yes it does up to 100w but if you so much as have a second cable plugged in, not even a second Device attached, the first port goes down to 60w max

Dual 125w means I can plug my phone and laptop in and not have to worry about it, it will just charge both at near max. Not worth upgrading for today, but nice feature to have

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hadlock posted:

I bought this for an upcoming road trip about a month ago. Also I've lost all my other battery banks for whatever reason.

Anker Prime Power Bank, 27,650mAh 3-Port 250W Portable Charger (99.54Wh)

https://a.co/d/6Qp4WKv $189.99

Unless I;m mistaken this JUST dropped down to like $105 after coupon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BYP2F3SG

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's a pretty good deal, I wasn't super happy to pay... Checks Amazon invoice... $179.99 ... But been very pleased with the result

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Lockback posted:

Wattage OTA.

I think the BT is to make it chirp so you can find it primarily, and to display what I assume is a totally unnecessary dashboard.
If it uses an app I usually just assume it's to sell the data they collect

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BT for driver updates makes sense; if Apple releases new hardware or breaks compatibility, that's the death knell for sales for your charging device

I think USB-C PD is pretty solid at this point, but Bluetooth is pretty cheap insurance (about a dollar) to make sure you can keep selling your high margin, $100 charging widget with no hardware updates/revisions

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well poo poo, for that steep of a price cut I guess I could find another use for a large powerbank.

As far as USB-C power, yeah the base stuff is solid but these types of things go beyond that.

First and foremost, PPS is still pretty new and there are quirks to that. Second, Anker has their own load balancing algorithms for their powerbank logic to dynamically allocate power. So, being able to bug fix that is good.

Something else the app lets you do is reducing both the recharge speed of the bank and the speed at which your bank charges your device to help reduce wear on either's batteries.

So, you could set the bank to do optimize recharges between 11:30pm and 8am so that it slow charges overnight but will fast charge during the day when you may need to dump a lot of power into it quickly. The same goes for the output, if you are using it to charge your phone overnight, you can reduce the output so your phone spends less time at 100% and produces less heat. Also, at lower charge rates, you should be able to eek out more capacity from the battery too.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 12, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

As far as USB-C power, yeah the base stuff is solid but these types of things go beyond that.

First and foremost, PPS is still pretty new and

Oh, that's a deep rabbit hole. PPS stands for programmable power supply, I guess this is pretty new, the details aren't on the USB-C wiki page, you have to go dig for the USB-C PD page

I guess this is pretty fancy stuff. We're finally living in the future. I guess to output 125w it shoves ~3.2A @ 28v over the wire

Time to go throw out all my non 240w certified power cables

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://usb.org/sites/default/files/D2T2-1%20-%20USB%20Power%20Delivery.pdf
Page 15

It's been around for awhile. It's really the USB PD response to Qualcomm Quick Charge.

The big upshots are the highly variable voltage and current ranges and the sink (downstream device) able to request voltage and current changes as needed.

The first "mainstream" device I think that was using it was the Samsung Note 10+. It's how Samsung does 45w charging. They do a bit over 10v and a bit over 4amps (so you need an emarked cable to get the full charging capability.)

When Samsung moved from 15w "fast charging" to 25w "superfast charging", that's PPS. On any modernish Samsung phone (think S10 series on) if you don't use a PPS supply, you are capped at 15w rather than 25w.

Google also uses PPS on the Pixel since the Pixel 6 series though it can still charge at a fairly high rate without PPS.

The thing that makes PPS great is the ability of the sink to freely request changes to voltage and current without having to do a handshake and re-negotiate. Since devices have to back off charge rate based off of battery level and temperature, that allows it to ride the maximum charge rate for the current conditions instead of backing off in larger steps due to the need to renegotiate power.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah looks like the note 10+ came out in 2019 and the pixel 6 came out fall of 2021.

I say "pretty new" because I still have a pixel 5 (refused to keep the pixel 6 once I realized how big it was*) and so the only PPS Device I (probably) have is my work mac laptop.

I can't find anything to support the idea that either steam deck does PPS

I'm not the world's leading new tech guy but if I don't have any personal devices that support it, it's still pretty new, to me at least

*The pixel 8 is just barely bigger than the 5, finally, so probably going to upgrade soon

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PPS is really only useful, for the most part, with stuff that has small batteries. Steamdeck charges at a boring 15v3a fixed at max charge rate.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm borrowing an XPS 14 for work and drat I would totally buy one if I could afford it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm thinking about getting a laptop, having not had one for a while.

I'm looking for:

1. Playing games at medium/med-high settings

2. Don't need more than 1080p on a laptop

3. Would like OLED, but not a priority. LCD or whatever is fine

4. Has a full keyboard (ie, includes numpad)

5. Has pretty good battery life

6. Doesn't weigh a million pounds

Of those, ability to play games, screen quality, and weight are most important.

I'm hoping not to break the bank on this, but I'm going to save up for it so I'm not looking for a $500 budget laptop either.

Any suggestions? I'm sure there's not going to be any one device that checks all the boxes, but having an idea of what to look at would be nice.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

What egpu enclosure is being used these days? I'm thinking of replacing a second desktop I have with just one of those + my laptop I already have

I was going to put my old video card into that desktop, but I would have to get a new case for it and honestly I would rather just sell the desktop, use my laptop, and keep my GPU.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Annath posted:

I'm thinking about getting a laptop, having not had one for a while.

I'm looking for:

1. Playing games at medium/med-high settings

2. Don't need more than 1080p on a laptop

3. Would like OLED, but not a priority. LCD or whatever is fine

4. Has a full keyboard (ie, includes numpad)

5. Has pretty good battery life

6. Doesn't weigh a million pounds

Of those, ability to play games, screen quality, and weight are most important.

I'm hoping not to break the bank on this, but I'm going to save up for it so I'm not looking for a $500 budget laptop either.

Any suggestions? I'm sure there's not going to be any one device that checks all the boxes, but having an idea of what to look at would be nice.

I would think something that has a numpad and good battery life is going to weight a lot because those are competing interests (size vs weight). But, I am not a laptop expert. In any case, the usual recommendation of a gaming laptop that won't break the bank is something on sale from the Lenovo Legion line.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Kibner posted:

I would think something that has a numpad and good battery life is going to weight a lot because those are competing interests (size vs weight). But, I am not a laptop expert. In any case, the usual recommendation of a gaming laptop that won't break the bank is something on sale from the Lenovo Legion line.

Good point.

Weight could probably bump down a few slots... Actually, having given it some thought, I'd prioritize this way:

1. Performance for price

2. Screen quality

3. Overall price

4. Ability to add/upgrade RAM and Storage

5. Full keyboard

6. Weight

7. Battery life

It'll be plugged in most of the time so battery life is actually not that big a deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, there are a lot of competing priorities on there. Numpads are hard to come by now and are generally only on 16+" devices. Those are naturally going to be heavier and have a higher resolution screen. Playing games on med to med-high settings is going to require a fairly beefy GPU which needs cooling and that adds to weight and sucks down power.

LG has the Gram 17 with a numpad and discrete GPU, but it's only a RTX3050 so really you would be looking at med to med-low for newer games settings wise. It's also a $2k laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can buy a pretty nice, external USB numpad for like $25 if you need a "full keyboard"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
After browsing Amazon a bit, I'm beginning to realize that the fact that the last time I owned a laptop was long enough ago that my expectations on price are outdated.

Even completely discarding the keyboard, weight, and battery life, just getting one with a good display, a good gfx card, and halfway decent storage is going to run me closer to $2K than $1K.

By the time I've saved up that much (my budget doesn't allow for much "disposable income" each month) the latest and greatest on the market will have changed :v: