Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

High Noon is whenever I toke up before 4:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Fame is the only path to immortality. Always was, always will be.

Also, maybe in the Land of the Final Death you kick around until everyone in the Land of the Dead forget you and then you move onto the Land of the Final Final Death and so on? A bureaucratic afterlife is essentially hell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"High Noon" is when the sun is at its zenith, if you mean 12PM local time then you just say "noon".

All the cowboys out there with plum lines, sextants and gnomons.

"Does anybody have a Nautical Almanac handy?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cowboys are fictional, dummy.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The Assassin's Creed logo is a capitalized Half-Life logo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

No. But also no.

The freemason compass isn't a capital lambda

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rise and shi-ine, Mi-ster Freemason...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Roger Corman just turned 98.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Tom Lehrer is still alive and turned 96 a few days ago

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

OJ Simpson, on the other hand, is not
Also, I recently learned that Gene Hackman is still alive and 94, but he looks every bit his age

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

root beer posted:

OJ Simpson, on the other hand, is not
Also, I recently learned that Gene Hackman is still alive and 94, but he looks every bit his age

That guy has always looked so crusty

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Grillfiend posted:

Tom Lehrer is still alive and turned 96 a few days ago

he just made all of his songs public domain, too (or somehow unrestricted)

I just found out about this when I was recommending "Hannukah in Santa Monica" for publicity for something in that place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LslsgH3-UFU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
'Galapagos tortoise' is a tautological name since 'galápago' is Spanish for 'tortoise'. Explorers named the islands after the tortoises.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Salsa Sauce of reptiles.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

The chai tea of reptiles.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the uh the Rio Grande River

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

The population of the land of the dead in Coco is kind of an odd thing to consider. The only people there either are in the memory of living people and/or still have a portrait on an ofrenda. An art piece or painted portrait also seems to count on an ofrenda same as a photo, so you could have people from like the medieval era possibly still there.

The ofrenda portrait is only necessary to visit the land of the living on Dia de los Muertos. However, those no longer in the memory of anyone living vanish from the land of the dead, the Final Death. So without ofrenda portraits, that's maybe two generations of staying power before anyone who met you in life is dead themselves.

So the population is basically comprised of:

1.) People with a single portrait kicking around from antiquity on, of which the identity is known and cared about. Probably wealthy families or historical figures, well-represented and beloved celebrities, artists.

2.) A disproportionate bias towards people born after the advent of photography, probably the majority of the land of the dead. A lovely little blurry pic from 1888 that says "Papa" could potentially keep some dude going in the afterlife indefinitely.

It's interesting to consider that the Land of the Dead has probably grown hugely in just the past century or two, with an ever-increasing upward trend as photography and digital imagery becomes more commonplace. Instead of everyone who dies spending on average a couple living generations in the land of the dead then going on to the Final Death, suddenly nearly everyone who showed up was both there indefinitely AND had access to the land of the living via the ofrenda offering, probably necessitating the complex bureaucratic infrastructure witnessed in the film.

In summation, far from being an eternal afterlife, the Land of the Dead in Coco is a crowded limbo rife with exaggerated inequity reflecting the inequity of the living world.

This poo poo is basically all I could think about when watching the movie. It seems like a subtly effective form of hell.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Or the spotted pardalote! Pardalote just means spotted. So it's the spotted spotted.
They are however quite hard to spot.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tree Bucket posted:

Or the spotted pardalote! Pardalote just means spotted. So it's the spotted spotted.
They are however quite hard to spot.

There's a fun-with-languages bit in Steven Brust's The Phoenix Guards related to this, which I'll link here. Welcome to the town of FordFordFordFord

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Apr 12, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It used to mean that back before we had mechanical clocks (the phrase goes back to at least 1370 according to the OED) but it hasn't actually meant that in practice for a long time now. In the 1952 movie High Noon Gary Cooper was always glancing at his pocket watch or the clock on the wall as it got closer to noon, he wasn't running outside to check a sun dial or the length of the shadows

If you can find an example where they stand around measuring the shadows before they agree to start the shoot out I'll concede the point but I don't like your chances, lol

Huh, noon is a corruption of the ninth hour (nona hora), and it used to be 3pm because monks got up at 6. TIL.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

People responding to dating app prompts of "What is your love language" with "acts of service" aren't being weird, demanding or kinky, they're quoting an early 90s book that defined five specific "love languages" that apparently everyone is intimately familiar with.

All they actually mean is "doing nice things for me"

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Apr 12, 2024

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A person can "speak" one love language and "respond to" another, so that's not an especially helpful prompt regardless.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

my love language is german

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sebmojo posted:

Huh, noon is a corruption of the ninth hour (nona hora), and it used to be 3pm because monks got up at 6. TIL.

oh, cool

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Galapagos tortoise' is a tautological name since 'galápago' is Spanish for 'tortoise'. Explorers named the islands after the tortoises.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hyperlynx posted:

People responding to dating app prompts of "What is your love language" with "acts of service" aren't being weird, demanding or kinky, they're quoting an early 90s book that defined five specific "love languages" that apparently everyone is intimately familiar with.

the original concept is actually not awful - it's really fairly straightforward when you say something like "some people are touchy-feely, some people like to do little favors for their partner, some people like to buy gifts, some people like to express love with words, some people really like to just spend time with their partner", and then obviously you can have a preference to receive that isn't your preferred way to express

...but, of course, the book was written by a Baptist minister to begin with and has gotten more and more cargo-culted through the years.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My love language is Basque-Icelandic Pidgin

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
My love language is Klingon. The guttural threats of bodily injury really getting me going.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nipple braille

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

3D Megadoodoo posted:

shick mir eine private Nachricht ;)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What about sign? :fap:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fick mich, ich bin geil

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

My love language is an obscure dialect

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Hyperlynx posted:

I've asked three different people what the hell a "love language" is and I've gotten three very different responses. The term is definitely popular, but I didn't know it came from a book and I bet the three people I know who regularly use this term don't know it came from a book either.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was just reading a 1920's murder mystery (Death in the Sky), and it got to the bit where each suspect has their personal possessions listed off so you can try to spot how the murder was done

One of the characters is the very fashionable wife of a peer.
We are told that among other things, she has a 'flapjack' in her handbag. I thought that was a bit odd, like why is she carrying a biscuit in her bag? It's the 20s so she probably lived on cigarettes and cocaine, not fecking biccies.
Next character is her travelling companion, a very aristocratic English woman - she also has a handy flapjack in her bag.
So I got a-googling and learned that a 'flapjack' is an old term for a folding mirror, so no secret snacks are involved :(

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
There's a popular channel on YouTube called Vsauce, and there's a popular guy on Youtube called Vinny Sauce, but they aren't related.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

rollick posted:

There's a popular channel on YouTube called Vsauce, and there's a popular guy on Youtube called Vinny Sauce, but they aren't related.

holy poo poo

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

credburn posted:

I've asked three different people what the hell a "love language" is and I've gotten three very different responses. The term is definitely popular, but I didn't know it came from a book and I bet the three people I know who regularly use this term don't know it came from a book either.

The only podcast I've ever listened to is/was called books that kill iirc and they had a whole episode on the love language book and I found it very enjoyable

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the original concept is actually not awful - it's really fairly straightforward when you say something like "some people are touchy-feely, some people like to do little favors for their partner, some people like to buy gifts, some people like to express love with words, some people really like to just spend time with their partner", and then obviously you can have a preference to receive that isn't your preferred way to express

...but, of course, the book was written by a Baptist minister to begin with and has gotten more and more cargo-culted through the years.

No, that's the thing! The concept itself is A: absolutely fine, and B: not that freakin complicated.

My irritation is at people saying "acts of service" and "words of affirmation", expecting everyone to know what the hell they're talking about, rather than normal human language like "do nice things for me" and "give me compliments".