Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Matt Berry is great in everything. Just the best.

Really liked with that (ep like 6 I think) about hating how he's agent with out his knowledge got him one of the handy man robots as part of he's fee so when ever he goes into his kitchen in the morning he's greeted by the robot in his own voice.

Yea that whole scene killed me. When the bot first spoke I was like, "Wait is that who I think it is!?" just such a good voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You just can't please certain people I guess. "Why hasn't anyone rebuilt society?" The show explicitly shows why. "Why is this set in picturesque California and not Washington DC" Because Barb works for vault tec and that's where the headquarters is. Also cooper is a Hollywood actor, so he's gotta be in Hollywood.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

OldSenileGuy posted:

After finishing it last night, I feel confident saying the worst part of the show was Fred Armisen showing up for 3 minutes to do The Fred Armisen Character. Took me right out of the show. Can I not watch one drat show without that guy in it? Rapaport kinda took me out too, but in a more entertaining "WTF?!" kinda way, as opposed to the exasperated sigh of seeing Armisen in another property

I liked the cameo there it was decent comedic relief but Rapaport is a giant piece of poo poo and a terrible actor. Even worse his whole "You're gonna die they're gonna kill you for this" was hamfisted in order to get Maximus to be opportunistic. They should have just had Titus die in the suit instead of being alive long enough to spur him forward. Would have fit Maximus' character better too if he just went for it instead of having a death threat motivating him.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Ending spoilers below.

32/33: I didn't follow the drama that much. I even lost track of which one was Lucy's cousin. Didn't care about the election at all. But they tied it into the main plot at the end, and that was great. Guess they needed the characters to do something, anything, until then. I have to say the trailers had some great misdirection. I thought for sure that the Vault Experiment in that one was going to be some kind of rage virus getting unleashed that caused everyone to slaughter each other.

Lucy/Max: I hated Max the entire time, to the point where I was sure he put the razor blade in his BFF's boot. He power-tripped hard, and the romantic subplot felt forced. But I liked that his character meant that Lucy wasn't the most naïve person in the Wasteland, which would have been an easy trap for the show to fall into. I don't think anyone else pointed this out, but Max survived the nuke by hiding in a fridge! Except in the Fallout universe it makes a little more sense that fridges would be nuke-proof. Hell it was probably in the marketing material.

NCR/the setting: If it had to be set in this region, the nuke was a fine reset button. The blackboard said "fall of Shady Sands" and then an arrow to a nuke, so count me among the people who are hoping it's that Shady Sands began the decline at that year and then was nuked shortly after New Vegas ends. I think it's very pessimistic though, even for the Fallout universe, to imply that someone is going to nuke someone else and set everything to zero every 200-300 years.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

I someone who mostly didn't like the show, felt it hints at retconning New Vegas (the game storyline, not the place) out of the lore and felt it was way too much in the Bethesda tone than the west coast Fallout tone, I really liked the Fred Armisen experience.

I really think Fall means nuking Shady Sands, not decline. The NCR was corrupted and stretched thin in the Mohave but I wouldn't call it a "fall" started 4-5 years before New Vegas. They still had a lot of power and resources even if they had problems. Not that I am a huge NCR fan but it was a very interesting faction and it sucks they are gone.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 12, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

OldSenileGuy posted:

After finishing it last night, I feel confident saying the worst part of the show was Fred Armisen showing up for 3 minutes to do The Fred Armisen Character. Took me right out of the show. Can I not watch one drat show without that guy in it? Rapaport kinda took me out too, but in a more entertaining "WTF?!" kinda way, as opposed to the exasperated sigh of seeing Armisen in another property

armisen being the annoying radio freedom guy was funny.

Also wrt max him being a underhanded bozo who essentially lucks into becoming a knight of the brotherhood after being thoroughly disillusioned with it. Was a nice arc.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 12, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

"Why is this set in picturesque California and not Washington DC"

I think if people really stopped to considered it for a minute, they might understand why the Nolans would want to avoid the part of the setting that's mostly about rebellious androids that look human

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

Lucy/Max: I hated Max the entire time, to the point where I was sure he put the razor blade in his BFF's boot. He power-tripped hard, and the romantic subplot felt forced. But I liked that his character meant that Lucy wasn't the most naïve person in the Wasteland, which would have been an easy trap for the show to fall into. I don't think anyone else pointed this out, but Max survived the nuke by hiding in a fridge! Except in the Fallout universe it makes a little more sense that fridges would be nuke-proof. Hell it was probably in the marketing material.

I figured this was an explicit reference to a mini-quest in F4, where the player finds a ghoulified child in a fridge by the road

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It is funny that the fridge made a safe nuke shelter when the purpose built individual shelters basically did nothing to protect people in the games.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hey come on now. Some of them have very important duct tape tools and other assorted supplies.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

It is funny that the fridge made a safe nuke shelter when the purpose built individual shelters basically did nothing to protect people in the games.

? I thought a couple of them at least kept the occupants alive long enough to dehydrate and die?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They can also be pretty handy to hide in for a second while people are shooting at you, so you can eat a bunch of food and heal up a bit.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I like Norm's character development in the series too. I thought he was going to be some unlikable, opportunistic twerp and a coward. However, both him and Chet grew on me and were pretty relatable at the end. They did a really good job casting that actor to play him.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

I someone who mostly didn't like the show, felt it hints at retconning New Vegas (the game storyline, not the place) out of the lore and felt it was way too much in the Bethesda tone than the west coast Fallout tone, I really liked the Fred Armisen experience.

I really think Fall means nuking Shady Sands, not decline. The NCR was corrupted and stretched thin in the Mohave but I wouldn't call it a "fall" started 4-5 years before New Vegas. They still had a lot of power and resources even if they had problems. Not that I am a huge NCR fan but it was a very interesting faction and it sucks they are gone.

I'm just micro-dosing some copium to make the timeline make sense in my head, that's all. I know in my heart that Todd Howard retconned New Vegas out of spite.

And I also liked Fred Armisen. To me he's the perfect "oh it's that guy!" bit part actor. I rarely enjoy him in a starring role, but I love when he shows up.

What's the deal with Michael Rapaport? I don't like him either but this is exactly the type of character I can take him as. An unrepentant rear end in a top hat who immediately gets killed with barely any screentime. Looking at his Twitter (ugh), he seems to be anti-Trump, anti-Fox News, pro-vax, etc. Just a loud obnoxious guy to me, which I can't stand.

grobbo posted:

I think if people really stopped to considered it for a minute, they might understand why the Nolans would want to avoid the part of the setting that's mostly about rebellious androids that look human

I thought for sure that Michael Emerson's character was a synth. His mannerisms were so strange.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Michael Emerson's character is a good guy doing bad things so he has a conscience and tries to help people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

I thought for sure that Michael Emerson's character was a synth. His mannerisms were so strange.

This would have been really cool if it happened. He takes the poison to convince her he's dying. Then she cuts his head off and then he wakes up and is all "Ok, now take me to Moldaver." But that wouldn't really work for the plot, and is probably too early to introduce that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LifeLynx posted:

I'm just micro-dosing some copium to make the timeline make sense in my head, that's all. I know in my heart that Todd Howard retconned New Vegas out of spite

He never forgave them for getting an 84

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
do you guys think that todd was writing the script like a goblin between directing a mid game, producing another game, handling the expansion of the game studio and other stuff?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

LifeLynx posted:

I'm just micro-dosing some copium to make the timeline make sense in my head, that's all. I know in my heart that Todd Howard retconned New Vegas out of spite.

And I also liked Fred Armisen. To me he's the perfect "oh it's that guy!" bit part actor. I rarely enjoy him in a starring role, but I love when he shows up.

What's the deal with Michael Rapaport? I don't like him either but this is exactly the type of character I can take him as. An unrepentant rear end in a top hat who immediately gets killed with barely any screentime. Looking at his Twitter (ugh), he seems to be anti-Trump, anti-Fox News, pro-vax, etc. Just a loud obnoxious guy to me, which I can't stand.

The TV show takes place in 2296. When Shady Sands is nuked, Max is 4-8 years old, and in the show he's young 20's. So Shady Sands eats a nuke after New Vegas, 2281

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Bethesda: We are making sure the show follows the canon of the games
Gamerz: WHY ISN'T IT FOLLOWING THE CANON THAT I'VE MISREMEMBERED?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also, maybe I missed it, but at the end of the show we still don't know exactly what happened to Vault 32, do we? We know Moldover used Hank's wife's PipBoy to get in and pretend to be the vault dwellers, but we also know that the people of Vault 32 had all killed themselves/each other long before that happened. Not sure if we ever found out why though

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

His mannerisms were so strange.

That's just Michael Emerson's thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, maybe I missed it, but at the end of the show we still don't know exactly what happened to Vault 32, do we? We know Moldover used Hank's wife's PipBoy to get in and pretend to be the vault dwellers, but we also know that the people of Vault 32 had all killed themselves/each other long before that happened. Not sure if we ever found out why though

Bigger question for me is how did the Vault 31 masterminds clean everything up so fast if there's only a handful of them out of cryo at any given time? Did Betty and Steph have a robobrain roomba brigade?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
They used the vaults for testing populations. Vault 32 ran out of resources so people killed each other and the overseer. Afterwards the managerial staff from vault 31 came in, repaired everything and restarted the process with members of vault 32.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Bethesda: We are making sure the show follows the canon of the games
Gamerz: WHY ISN'T IT FOLLOWING THE CANON THAT I'VE MISREMEMBERED?

idk, it's weird to me that the NCR is basically talked about as though it fell a generation ago and there's functionally no lasting remnant of it beyond some lead farmers wearing ranger gear, some people in vaults remembering its first capital, and a group of raiders holding the la observatory when like, new vegas was 15 years before the start of the show. It had problems and was definitely on the decline, but that seems like a really accelerated timeline for a nation to collapse without an outside force actively working to erase it.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't think they explicitly said it, no. I just figured they found out about the frozen pre-war execs and killed themselves instead of being controlled by middle management.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its not talked about like it fell a generation ago. The classroom in vault 4 is well kept, the people there regularly take people from the wasteland and have forms of functional government.

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

Remember pip-boys? Remember cram? Remember Power armor? Remember rad-roaches? Remember raiders? Remember Dogmeat? Remember town-names? Remember feral ghouls? Remember fonts? Remember products?

Lasted one and a half episodes, just horrible.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
show has things from game? TRASH

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lamanda posted:

Remember pip-boys? Remember cram? Remember Power armor? Remember rad-roaches? Remember raiders? Remember Dogmeat? Remember town-names? Remember feral ghouls? Remember fonts? Remember products?

No, tell me about them

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Tankbuster posted:

You should only mock things from the source material. Blue jump suits? Lame Am I right?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Its not talked about like it fell a generation ago. The classroom in vault 4 is well kept, the people there regularly take people from the wasteland and have forms of functional government.

Talked about isn't the right word, yeah. More like treated, specifically in terms of the setting and not how the characters approach it. Like, the wasteland feels closer to pandora in borderlands with how completely uncontrolled it is when there were functioning caravan trade routes fifteen years earlier. Like, we saw shady sands had a functioning street car system, and now the people who lived there worship a woman from that town by drinking (symbolic?) blood and rubbing ashes on themselves.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

Pandering to fanboys, it's sad. The show should simply have discarded all of the unique signifiers of the game it's based on.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Did I see this right Cooper is the model for the original vault boy? Hence the thumbs up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tankbuster posted:

Vault 4's currenr residents contain a lot of former NCR citizens so yeah they'd want to maintain their history. It's more the people on the surface who don't really talk about the NCR and how it's not mentioned before the episode 5 reveal that it's gone.

ghastly
Nov 10, 2023

What's the deal with the actor who plays Maximus (black)? His face doesn't seem to move enough most of the time.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I take it you haven't been keeping up with his statements on Israel and Gaza.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ghastly posted:

What's the deal with the actor who plays Maximus (black)? His face doesn't seem to move enough most of the time.

Yes I think we all know who Max is lol.

I would wager growing up in the Wasteland / BoS, one learns to tell as little as possible with their facial expressions.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did anybody else get the feeling Maximus was committee-written?

He was unreadable in a lot of key moments, but e8 the reveal that he didn't put razors in the boot deflated the ambiguity they'd built up around him.

Which sucks. His line about "hurting the people who hurt him" implied he was planning to destroy the Brotherhood from within. That motivation explains the anger, drive, and ruthlessness - but then oops actually nah he's just a lucky bumbler who doesn't even know how his dick works.

LifeLynx posted:

What's the deal with Michael Rapaport?

Rapaport has been exceptionally egregious and off-putting on Israel and Palestine.

He's not worth the derail, but his poo poo is out there.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Talked about isn't the right word, yeah. More like treated, specifically in terms of the setting and not how the characters approach it. Like, the wasteland feels closer to pandora in borderlands with how completely uncontrolled it is when there were functioning caravan trade routes fifteen years earlier. Like, we saw shady sands had a functioning street car system, and now the people who lived there worship a woman from that town by drinking (symbolic?) blood and rubbing ashes on themselves.

That doesn't make them more primitive or savage. The same community's idea of execution is banishing people to the surface with a two week supply of food. IRL religions smear themselves with ash, drink the blood of their holy figure and partake of their symbolic flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Doltos posted:

I liked the cameo there it was decent comedic relief but Rapaport is a giant piece of poo poo and a terrible actor. Even worse his whole "You're gonna die they're gonna kill you for this" was hamfisted in order to get Maximus to be opportunistic. They should have just had Titus die in the suit instead of being alive long enough to spur him forward. Would have fit Maximus' character better too if he just went for it instead of having a death threat motivating him.

I mean, it really drives home how loving stupid and assholish the brotherhood is. Because he drat near was correct. They woulda killed him for "failing" even though his Knight was being an idiot. That poo poo all started because "i want to shoot something"

Tankbuster posted:

do you guys think that todd was writing the script like a goblin between directing a mid game, producing another game, handling the expansion of the game studio and other stuff?

I don't think todd was really involved in any level because the story actually mostly made sense and was interesting.

Tankbuster posted:

Pipboy flashlights are obviously running the "NO GREEN FILTER FLASHLIGHT FIX MOD". Immersion ruined!