Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It should be a probable offense to have a different opinion than me, or even worse have the same opinion as me but in an annoying way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you should be probated if you call WWE the rape company or the rape factory

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
why is everything so nuts in the forum this week lol

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you should be probated if you call WWE the rape company or the rape factory

Why? It’s true

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Why? It’s true

It makes light of what actually happened and is probably a less effective way of getting across the message that WWE has permitted a culture of sexual assault, trafficking, abuse, misconduct and retaliation for four decades. I wouldn't say that whole thing any time I was disgusted with a person who doesn't care but I do think "rape factory" is not the way to get the point across. It's very flippant.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is it purely a matter of language? Would you prefer "the assault company" or "the abuse company"?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

It makes light of what actually happened and is probably a less effective way of getting across the message that WWE has permitted a culture of sexual assault, trafficking, abuse, misconduct and retaliation for four decades. I wouldn't say that whole thing any time I was disgusted with a person who doesn't care but I do think "rape factory" is not the way to get the point across. It's very flippant.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MJeff posted:

Is it purely a matter of language? Would you prefer "the assault company" or "the abuse company"?

just call it the WWE dude trying to call it things like this just makes the whole thing look silly and its gross too. hyperbolic nonsense like this makes the entire situation with vince and the culture of abuse in professional wrestling look stupid instead of serious

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Why? It’s true

Well, because it's tasteless and comes across as flippant.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

Frankly I think if you actually want to make a point about something so serious and you think someone is supporting WWE by watching the product and posting about it (which they are) you should take the time to say what you mean rather than try to distill it down to a phrase that looks like it is out of 2002 GBS.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Should it be probe-able though?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it should because its stupid

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Frankly I think if you actually want to make a point about something so serious and you think someone is supporting WWE by watching the product and posting about it (which they are) you should take the time to say what you mean rather than try to distill it down to a phrase that looks like it is out of 2002 GBS.

Come on you’ve been calling it the big trump fundraiser for years

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

do you really not see a difference between those two things

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

I think boiling it down to 3 words suggests you're using the topic for point scoring rather than taking it seriously. Which I don't think you are but it gives that impression. Like MRT said, it's far too flippant for a horrifically serious issue.

Yes, people should feel bad for investing time on a company that has overseen decades of absolutely horrifying behaviour, both from talent & management.

If the forum isn't going to just ban all discussion of the WWE, & I doubt there's much actual desire for that, then I'm not sure there's really anything to be gained from repeating a very reductive version in a very glib fashion. Everyone here knows about the accusations, the stories, the vile behaviour that's gone on there going all the way back to the Ring Boy Scandal if not even before. If people want to still ignore that in order to watch a bad version of professional wrestling then that's between them & their conscience.

For the record, I'm totally fine with this just becoming a WWE free zone but :shrug:

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 12, 2024

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Sisal Two-Step posted:

do you really not see a difference between those two things

No. Unless you think giving Trump millions of dollars is just a big joke

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Come on you’ve been calling it the big trump fundraiser for years

I don't think using a flippant term about the company donating record amounts to the Trump Foundation and the company's profits being funneled into the Trump campaigns and PAC is on the same level as being flippant about widespread sexual abuse. I know people make lots of Epstein and other jokes, and it probably shouldn't be something people get probation for but I do think it is in bad taste.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

after they just gave him $250 million we can meet in the middle and call wwe the vince mcmahon legal defense fund

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think using a flippant term about the company donating record amounts to the Trump Foundation and the company's profits being funneled into the Trump campaigns and PAC is on the same level as being flippant about widespread sexual abuse. I know people make lots of Epstein and other jokes, and it probably shouldn't be something people get probation for but I do think it is in bad taste.

I agree

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Ringo Roadagain posted:

No. Unless you think giving Trump millions of dollars is just a big joke

Let me put this another way. Do you not see a difference in the mental images conjured by the phrase "trump fundraiser" vs "rape factory"?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Let me put this another way. Do you not see a difference in the mental images conjured by the phrase "trump fundraiser" vs "rape factory"?

I mean if we ignore all the rape surounding trump, I guess. But whatever. I said I agree with mrt’s last post

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

forkboy84 posted:

For the record, I'm totally fine with this just becoming a WWE free zone but :shrug:

This is the way, and I say that as someone who watches WWE. There is clearly no desire to actually discuss the product here, so keep the Vince/company culture thread open and nuke the others

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Sisal Two-Step posted:

It's this. There's a huge difference in what comes to mind and it's bad taste in a way that isn't funny and is very uncomfortable and alienating. I'd prefer people treat the situation with some gravity, and again at least keep language like that in the marked thread.

I have a high tolerance for, well, The Internet, but I think we can do better without flippantly using charged language as a cudgel that affects not only those you're using it against but those that have to read it as well.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

after they just gave him $250 million we can meet in the middle and call wwe the vince mcmahon legal defense fund

:golfclap:

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

This works

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I mean if we ignore all the rape surounding trump, I guess.

oh my god

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's a dumb turn of phrase used by people who do things like buy WWE stock and then get mad at people for posting. Be original in your attacks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

illcendiary posted:

This is the way, and I say that as someone who watches WWE. There is clearly no desire to actually discuss the product here, so keep the Vince/company culture thread open and nuke the others

Wouldn't that need to be a blanket ban on all TKO holdings threads?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I’m just curious why 16bbh is here saying that calling wwe “rape factory” should get you probed, but doesn’t seem to have a problem with people making jokes referencing very specific crimes of Vince like this

quote:

having vince poo poo on my head as I whip my head around for full coverage "I AM PROMISED IN SAD, WITNESS!!!" and I leap from the beltbuckle into wrestlehut with explosives lances

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Hootington posted:

Wouldn't that need to be a blanket ban on all TKO holdings threads?

No?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
lmao when we start hearing about “the crews” you know it’s gonna get silly fast

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I’m just curious why 16bbh is here saying that calling wwe “rape factory” should get you probed, but doesn’t seem to have a problem with people making jokes referencing very specific crimes of Vince like this

disgusting post

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ringo Roadagain posted:

:dafuq:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Ringo Roadagain posted:

i think he explained it already, as have other people. What point are you trying to make?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

just call it the WWE dude trying to call it things like this just makes the whole thing look silly and its gross too. hyperbolic nonsense like this makes the entire situation with vince and the culture of abuse in professional wrestling look stupid instead of serious

MassRafTer posted:

Fair enough. I don't know that I necessarily agree 100%, but I understand the logic. I'll be less pithy and more unambiguous about this going forward and encourage others to do the same.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

Fair enough. I don't know that I necessarily agree 100%, but I understand the logic. I'll be less pithy and more unambiguous about this going forward and encourage others to do the same.

I genuinely appreciate it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Why not? TKO is what paid Vince recently with the stock buybacks and they aren't just generating money from WWE content. They own the territory and WCW archives and UFC PPV have to be giving them a good chunk of change.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I've already been accused of being "Reddit-tastic", I don't have any plans on doing the thing that lead to the creation of r/squaredcircle.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Why not? TKO is what paid Vince recently with the stock buybacks and they aren't just generating money from WWE content. They own the territory and WCW archives and UFC PPV have to be giving them a good chunk of change.

no on except that guy who is a fan of wwe is calling for a ban on wwe discussion, no need for the bad faith shtick

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr Hootington posted:

WCW doesn't exist anymore and Vince McMahon didn't run UFC and mold its culture in his image for 40 years.

This is all academic because banning WWE discussion from this forum is obviously not being considered as a real option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

i think he explained it already, as have other people. What point are you trying to make?

Other people have, and I agreed with them. 16bbh however has not explained why he cares about people calling wwe rape factory but not people making jokes involving specific things vince did to his victim