Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

But I also feel like it's a little strange to imply Aladdin's gliding in a licensed SNES platformer is being borrowed by BOTW (open world exploration survival) having a hang glider. A thing that exists IRL.

Especially when Bubsy came out first.

I really don't know why people don't just acknowledge the original hang glider in Takeshi's Challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Isn’t Takeshi’s Challenge one of the more infamous kusoge of all time?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i really don’t remember spider man ps1 having climbing stamina, he’s spider man, that would make no sense at all. and the stamina is like the whole crux of the climbing system in BotW/PW

although really all i remember about that game is dying to carnage-ock in the finale escape over and over and over again, and that poo poo being vaguely terrifying for a superhero game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't remember climbing stamina but Spider-Man games did limit overall webs use I think up until the PS2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Near the end of Lud's Gate in Tomb Raider 3. God this level is trash. So dark on PSX.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Immortals of Aveum has a dash move called Blink and it sucks. The thing that makes it terrible is how you have zero momentum going out of it so you dash but come to a complete stop. Which makes it not fun to use in combat and a hassle when trying to use it to traverse.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Banishers is a fine game, but the camera doesn't turn with the character when using a controller, instead only turning with the right stick. This makes getting around feel weirdly stiff and targeting enemies in combat a lot harder than it should be.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

BotW's climbing is far more similar to Shadow of the Colossus than to Spider Man. It's limited by stamina, used heavily in exploration and slightly in combat, but always as a perilously limited resource.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you think about it most open world adventure type of games owe a lot to SOTC.

Just compare it to games like BOTW, Witcher 3, Horizon, Tsushima etc.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I think media needs to cool it with the "of the" titling for a little while.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

My citation for first hand glider was Sly Cooper 2

Spyro

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sega Superstars Tennis on PS3 has a fun mode that adapts classic Sega games into tennis minigames. Most are a blast, but one is driving me crazy.

It's Jet Set Radio themed, and you have to perfectly paint graffiti onto the other side of the court. If you miss the tag you fail. if the wrong color hits the wrong part of the tag you fail. If the right color hits an already painted part of the tag you fail. And you have to perfectly do this three times in a row to win, in under 120 seconds... Also there are cops chasing you around the court.

ugh

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Apr 12, 2024

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Immortals of Aveum has a dash move called Blink and it sucks. The thing that makes it terrible is how you have zero momentum going out of it so you dash but come to a complete stop. Which makes it not fun to use in combat and a hassle when trying to use it to traverse.

blink is admittedly really bad for traversal but once you get used to it it’s (imo, at least) really good in combat. it’s more of a flash step dodge than a dash move and the way it works means you’ll pretty much never totally lose a bead on whatever you’re shooting because you had to blink away from a shot or something

i’m closing in on the endgame right now and the thing dragging it down at this point is that Jak has gone from kind of a dweeb but sort of endearing to The Absolute Dumbest Boy Alive

And you said you were a different person…” in-loving-deed

also some of the shroudfanes are tear-your-hair-out overtuned even before you get into the six hidden boss ones

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

The Colossus's Shadow
The Wild's Breath
etc etc
:hmmyes:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

If we're doing requests, it would also be good to hold off on any more A Blank of This and That.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Video game titles should never be more than one word.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I like when games are two words. Disco Elysium, Cruelty Squad, Ace Attorney, Stardew Valley, etc.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

forget game titles, whoever at Microsoft who names the Xboxes should probably be sectioned for their own safety

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Rockman Reserve posted:

blink is admittedly really bad for traversal but once you get used to it it’s (imo, at least) really good in combat. it’s more of a flash step dodge than a dash move and the way it works means you’ll pretty much never totally lose a bead on whatever you’re shooting because you had to blink away from a shot or something

i’m closing in on the endgame right now and the thing dragging it down at this point is that Jak has gone from kind of a dweeb but sort of endearing to The Absolute Dumbest Boy Alive

And you said you were a different person…” in-loving-deed

also some of the shroudfanes are tear-your-hair-out overtuned even before you get into the six hidden boss ones

Getting the blink upgrades that make it tegen your shield and speccing into being able to blink all the time through havinh multiple charges that regen quickly destroyed almost all difficulty but in a way I found super engaging

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Souls of the Dark

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rockman Reserve posted:

forget game titles, whoever at Microsoft who names the Xboxes should probably be sectioned for their own safety

I assume it was whoever came up with how counting in french works once you get past 60.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
My favorite is Deus Ex which means God from. And it works because the game's about what the bad guy's tryin to make a god from.

Then the other games came out and we have

God from invisible war
God from human revolution
God from mankind divided

:magemage:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Colossus's Shadow
The Wild's Breath
etc etc
:hmmyes:

Imagine if someone named their game Demon's Souls lmao

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Why is that so unbelievable? They're just letting you know that the Demon is Souls. Maybe a sequel to Baba is You.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You of the Baba

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m suffering from success in Mount and Blade Bannerlords. Because I kill so many people during sieges the game heavily leans towards my character getting the location from our lord because I did the most work for it or something.

The thing is, I’ve been awarded literally any place I was involved in, so my holdings are spread out across the entire map. It’s hard to check on garrisons and construction when your holdings are on the east and west most parts of the map.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Borne of the Blood
Made Men by the Blood
Undone by the Blood

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kazil posted:

You of the Baba
this is gonna spiral out of control rapidly

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Armored 6 is fantastic, but even if it's ultimately not a big deal ya can't help but be a bit disappointed with how little environmental destructibility there is! What is there, such as knocking over light poles and powerlines and such, is weirdly frictionless and muted. It contributes to the game not really imposing a sense of scale, so it generally feels more like you're a man sized mech wandering dioramas than a huge tower sized guy.

Really, though, the thing that actually bugs me the most with this game is: you can't skip through chunks of dialogue audio in the mission briefings! You know, where the audio lines play with the subtitles but you can read the subtitles and skip through the audio bits as fast as you can read, as is standard with NPCs in Fromsoft games. You can jump through the other non-gameplay dialogue like that, but with briefings you either gotta watch the whole thing or skip it entirely! I want that lore, but I'm impatient and don't want to go too long without blowing things up. Let me read it! Particularly dumb as this is a shorter game that you're supposed to (and absolutely should!) play through at least 3 times.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
Rise of the planet of the apes of the

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

egg_dog posted:

Rise of the planet of the apes of the

:hmmno:

The Apes' Planet Rises

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally beat Tomb Raider 3 on the ps1. Probably the worst use of save crystals, at least in the original game the crystals basically acted as checkpoints, so they were placed fairly throughout the game and weren't a source of frustration. 3 making them an item, and then hiding the last few behind obnoxiously difficult secrets, was a terrible move as players who aren't as good at the game are punished by being forced to play a huge amount without saving. I had to use an all items cheat to get a bunch of crystals for the final leg of the final main level, then to save my way through the ridiculous final boss, who wouldn't have been TOO bad if one of his attacks was not an instant kill, again punishing players for lacking perfection.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mafia 3 got a lot of flak at release for padding out its (pretty decent) story with a ton of mandatory open-world chaff. i could deal with that, but what eventually broke me was the traversal - there's no fast travel and no consistency for where objectives are placed, so every single side mission has you driving from one corner of the map to the other. there's an entire class of sub-missions that make you drive to a massive and mostly empty bayou region to the south and then back up to the cities, often in a slow-moving semi or pickup truck. at least when i spent hours clip-clopping in red dead redemption i had some nice scenery to look at

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We still have not quite recovered from Todd Howard's unveiling of Skyrim. 'See that mountain? You can go there.' has done more damage to games than Ubisoft's tower map fetish.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bethesda releases Elder Scrolls games the same way George RR Martin releases ice and fire books and I respect it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tunic is a sick loving game but- if there is an item that does this and I just haven't got it yet then fair enough- I do wish there was something that chimed or buzzed or played a tune if I was on the intended path. I spend a lot of time backtracking not realizing that I was in the right area and just didn't go through the right doorway or that there was another one I hadn't seen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

mafia 3 got a lot of flak at release for padding out its (pretty decent) story with a ton of mandatory open-world chaff. i could deal with that, but what eventually broke me was the traversal - there's no fast travel and no consistency for where objectives are placed, so every single side mission has you driving from one corner of the map to the other. there's an entire class of sub-missions that make you drive to a massive and mostly empty bayou region to the south and then back up to the cities, often in a slow-moving semi or pickup truck. at least when i spent hours clip-clopping in red dead redemption i had some nice scenery to look at

That was also a big problem with The Saboteur where too many missions were drive out to some random spot and then drive halfway across the map. More open world games need to steal the GTA/RDR thing of random world events.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

That was also a big problem with The Saboteur where too many missions were drive out to some random spot and then drive halfway across the map. More open world games need to steal the GTA/RDR thing of random world events.

Oooh, now that's a great idea. Breadcrumb the player into doing a bunch of small sidequests or stopping fights/gangwars and only noticing at the end that 'Oh poo poo, I crossed the entire map doing all that stuff and I'm like two blocks away from the next story mission now.' That'd be great.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Bethesda releases Elder Scrolls games the same way George RR Martin releases ice and fire books and I respect it

I don't recall GRRM condtantly rereleasing his latest book on every new piece of technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tunicate posted:

I don't recall GRRM condtantly rereleasing his latest book on every new piece of technology

No, but there was that entire chapter dedicated to one of the dirt farmers who kept saying "Looks like a good harvest this season." and then walking into a wall.