Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think that the fallout raging about something that might or might not have happened to something that doesn't exist might be the dullest culture convo I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

personally I think it's funny that the starfield writer guy hosed up the series timeline in a tweet :)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

KirbyKhan posted:

Imma be real with you. If you arnt gonna mod it, the Fallout 76 is gonna be the best Fallout experience available.

It is a first person MMO, always has been since FO3. It is literally Skyrim with guns.

Xaris posted:

FO1 and 2 are worth playing to see where it all started, where Gaeten Dugas got his aids, and they aren’t big time investments considering most 90s games are pretty short. then if you aren’t modding probably 4 or 76. just roll a dice

thanks, I'll prolly go with 76 then

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

indigi posted:

which fallout is best if I’m going to play one, and also what sort of game is it (in my head it's a first person shooter but from the way people talk about it I don't see how all the mechanics would fit in that format)

FO4 has the better gameplay and exploration can be fun, but the story and characters are bland as heck (except the detective)

FNV has the better setting and writing, and tries to build upon older games and narratives. also the voice actors are much better. Lt Rawls as Caesar made him the obvious choice in my first play-through

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Goons will never have an opinion on media that isn't "caring about the story is gay nerd poo poo, being critical or negative in anyways is bad" so you're barking up the wrong tree

the focus on black isle/obsidian lore getting violated is sort of burying the lede, which is that the show contradicts Bethesda’s games too.

again just from the first episode, the vault door for 32/33 is right along the coastline and you can see a pier with a waterfront in it, so it wasn’t concealed at all. the whole point of the vaults is that they’re supposed to be hidden from the outside world to maintain control in Vault-Tec’s behavioral experiments. anybody walking along the coast could’ve found it and tried to crack it open.

and again with character behaviors not making sense: vaults 32 & 33 only interact on occasion to exchange goods and mating pairs, and it’s something they’ve always done. shouldn’t they notice that none of vaults 32’s representatives are recognizable? the fatalities from the grain blight doesn’t explain it away either, because one of the raiders has a full body tattoo that’s peeking out of his vault suit. plus, they think vault 32 has a grain blight but they make no effort at all to control for it. they let the vault 32 party come in without even closing the door.

it’s one thing if it’s just dumb fun where 33 was invaded cuz woke DEI HR management, but I shouldn’t have my suspension of disbelief being broken constantly like this. and it’s not played like a joke. it’s just not funny.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Mantis42 posted:

Goons will never have an opinion on media that isn't "caring about the story is gay nerd poo poo, being critical or negative in anyways is bad" so you're barking up the wrong tree

I (obviously) like analyzing and criticizing the plot and themes of stuff, but also recognize that its fine to grade a lot of stuff on a curve and find stuff you can like even if the story is garbage. for example, the story of Westworld season 1 is just horrendously bad for a lot of reasons - but I maintain it's eminently watchable and would recommend it to anyone because you get to see Tony Hopkins, Ed Harris, and Jeffrey Wright acting their motherfuckin asses off, turning awful plot beats and iffy dialogue into a masterpiece of performance. that alone turns a D- show into a solid B. so while I think it's silly to wholesale write off any criticism of Fallout's themes (which are garbage) or plot (iffy at best) I also believe it's good to find things to enjoy about bad shows. I think it's very serviceable for a while-jogging-on-the-treadmill show

but then again, this is my first exposure to Fallout anything. I’m sure if you come in with an affinity for the setting, that could make it basically unwatchable, which stinks. the showrunner can't write very well, I'd be so sad if his next project was an adaptation of FE3H

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

I watched the first episode of fallout last night and it was fine, cowboy ghoul guy owns

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
yeah Goggins is the fuckin man. I'll watch him in practically anything

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I do actually like the way the Brotherhood is depicted. being a Faith Militant is more in line with what they were supposed to be, and I like the implications of what happened to the Brotherhood after their turn to fascism in 4.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al! posted:

all the whining itt has inspired me to pick up my playthrough for the best fallout game, 4

if you wait for two weeks Fallout London comes out.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

KirbyKhan posted:

I have played them all.

I will probably watch televised Fallout. I'm kinda excited to watch it with my wife, who knows no fallout lore. When she saw the trailer on my screen she asked me "Is that the new Dune movie?" and I think she is actually the target audience for this thing.

tell her it's a dune prequel

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

my first fallout game was 3 and it was mid so i never played another. it was sick that you could nuke the first town though

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

Tired: Fallout
Wired: Modding Fallout into a better game
Inspired: Modding a better game into Fallout

now come on. HOI4 isn't the best at anything except as a modding platform (same as bethesda games)

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Apr 12, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

indigi posted:

which fallout is best if I’m going to play one, and also what sort of game is it (in my head it's a first person shooter but from the way people talk about it I don't see how all the mechanics would fit in that format)

play fallout new vegas. Become the progressive version of a star wars chud.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'd say start with New Vegas if you want a 3D Fallout; it's got the best balance of content and gameplay straightforwardness

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Everyone should burn their books and video games and go live in a cave in the woods.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

“This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race”

- Fall Out Boy, 2007

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I finished the show and it's a lot of fun

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

mission accomplished imo

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
new vegas unfortunately is extremely ugly, even with mods, and the UI is incredibly xbox 360-era and painful to use. also soooo many loading screens

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Clip-On Fedora posted:

“This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race”

- Fall Out Boy, 2007

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
gameplay is dated, but yeah the meat of the content is just doing the quests and they are the nicest in the series.
I just think the idea of MIT nerds reinventing slavery after the end of the world in the city that was the lodestar of american abolitionism is cool.

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

if you want to play a fallout game just play wasteland 2 or 3

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

none of you should play New Vegas because you’re not worthy of it. it’s too smart for you. your puny little peasant minds can’t even comprehend it. the LAST thing you should do is buy and play it.

you should play Fallout Brotherhood of Steel instead.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

none of you should play New Vegas because you’re not worthy of it. it’s too smart for you. your puny little peasant minds can’t even comprehend it. the LAST thing you should do is buy and play it.

you should play Fallout Brotherhood of Steel instead.

Too late bitch I already drank the unicorn’s blood and it was AMAZING

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I like to call it fallout: Newst Wages

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Too late bitch I already drank the unicorn’s blood and it was AMAZING

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
at a certain point it's funny how Bethesda handles stuff in Fallout. like 76 takes place 20 years after the war in West Virginia, but we gotta put the same stuff in everything so we got Supermutants because uhhh there was a town that got experimented on so that's why they're here. and uhhhhhh the guy who made the Brotherhood of Steel talked to a lady on the radio so they're here too. one of the more fun parts of NV is how they have plenty of recognizable stuff but the Legion is totally new, the BoS are losers drying up in a bunker, there's only a few Supermutants and some Nightkin but they're not flooding the desert. the NCR aren't total good guys, they're an overstretched inefficient bureaucracy staffed with people cashing a check. when they ask you to come talk with them the guy you meet is a dead-end employee in a dingy office who hates his job, it's perfect.

Whoolighams has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Apr 12, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
three of the four factions in fallout 4 were newer creations. Its cool that MIT nerds create a tech utopia and use it to create slavery and do american destabilization options against their competition.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

so are the fallout games good or what

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

impossible to know

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
People play them. They are popular. The last time something big wrt fallout happened was when game 4 came out and people in college dressed in vault suits for halloween. It was fun.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lumpentroll posted:

impossible to know

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

only the 1st one

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you could just play command and conquer.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is me and fallout. i died to a rat or scorpion or something in the first room in fallout 2 off a burned cd in 1999 and never picked up the series again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

same cartoon but he's looking at a street urchin stealing lit dynamite out of his character's pants.