Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Weird, looked at McMahan's twitter to see if he'd posted the news there yet, and he had put up a text-less picture of Kirk mourning Spock from Wrath of Khan. That seems to have been taken down now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The good thing is that LDS is like 98 percent re-watchable. Ain't a bad track record at all.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should go out with a feature-length Crisis Point

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I thought for sure that Lower Decks would keep going, like how expensive can it be? They seem to have their production pipeline down and I thought it was pretty popular. But I guess that doesn't matter as they scrape the last meat off the bones of streaming for shareholders. God that really, really sucks.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This stupid goddamn era of streaming is going to go down in history as a giant graveyard of missed opportunities and shows killed before their time just to marginally improve some figures on a spreadsheet before the next shareholder meeting.

It really is. I've started buying Blu-Rays again and ripping them for easy watching; we desperately need a better physical format, discs are already too big physically for the age of modern devices, and if you want to actually be able to play commercial discs you need a whole giant-rear end player. And of course digital purchases are just rentals in disguise. Ripping to a portable SSD will have to do me for now.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MikeJF posted:

With SNW positioned as flagship and so popular, if they cancel SNW that means they're cancelling NuTrek as a whole. So yeah, might happen.

SNW is going to get at least five seasons.

Possibly more.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Last Call posted:

SNW is going to get at least five seasons.

Possibly more.

Maybe not if this streaming deal happens with Skydance. Every company always cuts poo poo down to the bone after an approved merger to offset the cost of the deal.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lower Decks was really good and I guess I should be grateful it got five seasons, but I'm not and they can go gently caress themselves.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I'm pretty much going with either getting 5 seasons or the fourth season being the last one for SNW.

Also, I don't think Legacy is happening, because if they really do have Starfleet Academy in the pipeline that's probably gonna be SNW's replacement.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Starfleet Academy sounded like it had potential until they announced it was going to continue off the 34th-or-whatever century Discovery flipped into after the writers kept loving up not knowing how to make a prequel series. When that information was released, I lost interest completely.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kurtzman has become an irrational internet boogeyman just like Kathleen Kennedy

Kurtzmann we should be forever grateful for looking at Matalas pitch for Picard spinoff and saying "Nah"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I know it's not at all the same circumstances but I hold out hope that if Venture Bros and Metalocalypse got proper endings maybe one day LDS will too

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I can't believe how Picard turned out to be so mediocre.

Every season felt like it tried to walk back the previous due to viewer disdain to what happened.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

give us a LDS movie you cowards

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lower Decks was really good and I guess I should be grateful it got five seasons, but I'm not and they can go gently caress themselves.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I don't mind SA being in the 32nd century if it leads to them coming up with new stuff instead of relying on the TOS and TNG era.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Last Call posted:

I can't believe how Picard turned out to be so mediocre.

Every season felt like it tried to walk back the previous due to viewer disdain to what happened.

The fact that there was only one episode where Picard went in disguise with an eyepatch, beret, and outrageous French accent is a loving crime because the entire series should have been Picard in a 1980s-rear end detective show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TuxedoOrca posted:

I'm pretty much going with either getting 5 seasons or the fourth season being the last one for SNW.

Also, I don't think Legacy is happening, because if they really do have Starfleet Academy in the pipeline that's probably gonna be SNW's replacement.
The Starfleet Academy show is already filming.

I think if there is a continuation of 'Picard' it will be a one-off thing like that Section 31 movie. There was that big piece last month in Variety about the current state of Trek shows, and when they were asked about if there would be more Picard/Legacy they were pretty non-committal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I kinda wonder if Starfleet Academy is destined to be a stillborn single season show now and if they’ll repackage it as a limited series or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If that ends up being the case, then it's because all of NuTrek is dead due to a merger

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Starfleet Academy show is already filming.

No it isn't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OK apparently it starts filming this summer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

What I'd like to see for LDS's last episode is a flash forward to 20 years or show to see where everyone ended up. Sure, it's obvious, and fan-service, but I'm a fan, so deal it up.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm coping by suggesting they cancelled LDS so they could turn it into a live action show after the SNW cross-over episode proved they could probably do it.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

mllaneza posted:

What I'd like to see for LDS's last episode is a flash forward to 20 years or show to see where everyone ended up. Sure, it's obvious, and fan-service, but I'm a fan, so deal it up.

I would like this too, they’re all great characters and I want to see where they end up

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
gently caress that LDS news, what a goddamn bummer

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

FlamingLiberal posted:

If that ends up being the case, then it's because all of NuTrek is dead due to a merger

Well, if that happens at least we got some shows out of it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

holefoods posted:

I would like this too, they’re all great characters and I want to see where they end up

murdered by zoomers in 2401

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm glad Lower Decks got 5 seasons at least, and I'm super glad SNW already got renewed for season 4. The weird thing is that you could make 20 seasons of Lower Decks with the cast still being 20-something bottom-ranked Lieutenants and it would work in a way that live action can't and you'd think that would be something Paramount would want!

I mean, Lower Decks also makes a point of progressing characters development and growth so the showrunners probably wouldn't want to do that anyway, but I'm saying that of all the shows it seemed the "cheapest" and "easiest" to keep making which are two key elements shareholders like. I guess the fact it was also good enraged them too much to look past that.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

give us a LDS movie you cowards
Gotta get that Undiscovered Country poster homage somehow!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d love a live action cameo of the core five at the end of Lower Decks. Maybe get them on SNW as a sequel to Those Old Scientists?

I’d love to see T’Lyn fangirling on meeting Spock. :3:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It was suggested earlier in the thread but Spock should turn up on the Cerritos and greet Mariner to the surprise of no-one, then start chatting with Boimler and have everyone lose their minds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I thought they should've had a bit at the end of Those Old Scientists where boimler gets an email from present day spock when he gets back to the Cerritos noting that they should now be caught up and advising him of several points he should work on with regards to temporal protocols.

And boimler's just thrilled because he's got spock's email address now.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
greenbloodedhobgoblin@marshmellons.mil

Bones set it up for him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I'm glad Lower Decks got 5 seasons at least, and I'm super glad SNW already got renewed for season 4. The weird thing is that you could make 20 seasons of Lower Decks with the cast still being 20-something bottom-ranked Lieutenants and it would work in a way that live action can't and you'd think that would be something Paramount would want!

I mean, Lower Decks also makes a point of progressing characters development and growth so the showrunners probably wouldn't want to do that anyway, but I'm saying that of all the shows it seemed the "cheapest" and "easiest" to keep making which are two key elements shareholders like. I guess the fact it was also good enraged them too much to look past that.
Animation is very expensive

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sigh..

I suppose the saving grace is that it's a fairly portable medium and we can still get comics or whatever.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
They better lock down McMahan for something else.

Hes too good to let go.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

some kinda jackal posted:

Sigh..

I suppose the saving grace is that it's a fairly portable medium and we can still get comics or whatever.

Live action???

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Have the TNG Season 8 tweets been preserved anywhere so they can be read (other than on loving twitter)?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laughed hard enough to startle my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Have the TNG Season 8 tweets been preserved anywhere so they can be read (other than on loving twitter)?
He came out with a book that had them in it I think