Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Durzel posted:

Holy poo poo how can anyone enjoy bots? At least on random pubbie matches.

They have several “chaff” units that do silly damage and are bullet sponges. The comparable bug units like Hive Guards or Warriors, or even Stalkers, are no threat unless you let them get close. With bots it doesn’t matter where they are.

Shield feels completely essential, and when it drops from the random 360 fire from whatever patrol just straight up spawned behind you, you are often just cut to ribbons, with stim heals being interrupted. If it’s not that it’s endless ragdolling or your aim being thrown off. Any random patrol on a reasonable level is going to have Rocket Devestators and Heavy Devestators, the latter of which requires quite deft precision (while you’re being suppressed). It seems to take pretty much 3/4 of a mag off my Scorcher to take out just one of them, so that means at best I have enough ammo for maybe two patrols before I’m dry.

If I just run with AC then I lose the shield, and aside from stratagems (often jammed, or on cooldown from the actual elite units) I’ve got nothing to kill dropships or those gunships with.

I can accept the skill ceiling is higher, but I never feel in control of my fate as I do with bugs. Even on level 9 unless I just hang around for too long then it’s generally manageable. With bots I just feel like it’s luck if I’m alive in any given situation where I’ve receiving incoming fire.

Honestly don’t know how anyone enjoys it, at least with pubs. Maybe groups of mates on mics fare better.

Unironically I like bots more than bugs. But also they require different playstyles so I can keep rotating my weapons that I use. Owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The autocannon is much less amazing, though still pretty good, on bug missions. It can't do poo poo to bile titans. The only thing it can do to chargers is tear open its belly and cause it to bleed out, and that takes like half a dozen rounds and careful aim. Good for dealing with bile spewers from a distance, but killing one takes more rounds than I think it should. Pretty solid against brood commanders and stuff. No good against shriekers and killing a shrieker nest will take like half your backpack. Closes bug holes with a single shot but often tricky to get the right angle. 2 hits to kill a spore spewer from a mile away is pretty nice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can't wait to see what the Illuminate brings. Maybe the autocannon will finally get to go up on the shelf!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
one thing to note is that you can't circle the AA tanks that have the four machine guns on the turret, it rotates significantly faster and you'll just get turned into swiss cheese

Bots really just require good use of cover, and changing where you poke out from so you don't get suppressed; bots also don't ahve spores that block radar so you shoudl always be staring at your radar so you don't get surrounded

Shields are nice but no longer as necessary now that rockets aren't an instant kill on you, although still useful since you'll get ragdolled and possibly hit by follow-ups leading to death still.

that said dropping into something like strategem jammer + double gunship facility is still really rough and a lot worse than anything bugs can throw at you. doubly since the aggro for the gunship factories is weird and if a gunship aggroes you some mook at the factory 200m away pretty much always shoots a flare and causes you to deal with a bot drop at the same time

also orbital laser is the strongest stratagem in the game against bots, it kills everything except gunship factories and you should pretty much always bring it

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
AC and tanks, note the first hit on the rear 1/4 of the tank from an angle still does damage before bouncing. idk what these guys were doing they were so green they were shooting the blaster at the tank for some reason :confused:

https://i.imgur.com/I2yMI1P.mp4

Dyz posted:

Im pretty sure you can shoot the AA tank in the barrel of its gun and kill it too (i.e. between the two side shields for it). Not sure if its a splash thing or if the round is actually penetrating but it seems like hitting anything but the shields for the AA gun works.

I'll try this later

Geisladisk posted:

The secret to fighting bots is that you don't need to kill all the bots. Getting stuck in prolonged firefights with them is how you die.

Get stuck in a firefight and more bots keep coming in? You can just leave. If it sucks, hit da bricks. Don't storm the gates of their big dumb compounds, just kill the factories with bombs. Or sneak in through the back.

Also, bring an autocannon. It wrecks everything but hulks. For tanks, just run behind them.

So much this, just do the objectives and fight what you have to on your way out to the next poi/objective.

LazyMaybe posted:

hulks get shot in the eye

tanks get bombed if I can't get behind them

The last time I saw this, I killed the four gunships that had spawned using AC, then we hellbombed one tower.
Right after that more gunships spawned out of the remaining tower, I killed them again with AC and then we hellbombed it.

I'm curious to see what these gunship wipes look like because I've never had it happen. One person with AC/AMR/scorcher can kill them fast enough to make an opening to hellbomb the fabs.

:same:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My brother says the scythe is bad because it's identical to the liberator. Help

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

fortunately or unfortunately this is not actually a fact. i've never had a hellbomb placed in the courtyard thing between them fail to kill both

just had it happen earlier today in a goon game. We somehow got it having to use 2 hellbombs but it was loving rough

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
You can also autocannon tanks in the back, between the treads, where there's some exhaust vents. Or, if you get a weird angle, you can get their bottom side between the treads. Takes 6 shots instead of 3 though.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I bring the AC to bug missions if I see others bringing EATs or Quasars. It's still very useful against a lot of the bugs, breaks the armor off of the medium ones in a shot or two and let's you finish them off with your primary.

But yeah, if others are not bringing heavy armor damage dealers, EATs are always a good choice against bugs.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

your brother is dumb, hope this helps

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Arglebargle III posted:

Might want to replace your brother.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I am the laser man. Energy weapons are life. Sickle forever. Quasar forever. Laser pistol forever. Give me a laser grenade and I'll use it too

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

genuinely don't know how you autocannon freaks survive without a way to take out heavy armor

i need a guaranteed anti armor option

Your other 3 teammates almost always bring anti armor.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

The autocannon is much less amazing, though still pretty good, on bug missions. It can't do poo poo to bile titans. The only thing it can do to chargers is tear open its belly and cause it to bleed out, and that takes like half a dozen rounds and careful aim. Good for dealing with bile spewers from a distance, but killing one takes more rounds than I think it should. Pretty solid against brood commanders and stuff. No good against shriekers and killing a shrieker nest will take like half your backpack. Closes bug holes with a single shot but often tricky to get the right angle. 2 hits to kill a spore spewer from a mile away is pretty nice.

you can blast bile titans in the stomach with the AC for some damage, though not a ton

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If a Hulk is chasing you you can throw impact grenades between its feet and the blast will damage the heatsink on its back from the front.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Durzel posted:

Holy poo poo how can anyone enjoy bots? At least on random pubbie matches.

They have several “chaff” units that do silly damage and are bullet sponges. The comparable bug units like Hive Guards or Warriors, or even Stalkers, are no threat unless you let them get close. With bots it doesn’t matter where they are.

Shield feels completely essential, and when it drops from the random 360 fire from whatever patrol just straight up spawned behind you, you are often just cut to ribbons, with stim heals being interrupted. If it’s not that it’s endless ragdolling or your aim being thrown off. Any random patrol on a reasonable level is going to have Rocket Devestators and Heavy Devestators, the latter of which requires quite deft precision (while you’re being suppressed). It seems to take pretty much 3/4 of a mag off my Scorcher to take out just one of them, so that means at best I have enough ammo for maybe two patrols before I’m dry.

If I just run with AC then I lose the shield, and aside from stratagems (often jammed, or on cooldown from the actual elite units) I’ve got nothing to kill dropships or those gunships with.

I can accept the skill ceiling is higher, but I never feel in control of my fate as I do with bugs. Even on level 9 unless I just hang around for too long then it’s generally manageable. With bots I just feel like it’s luck if I’m alive in any given situation where I’ve receiving incoming fire.

Honestly don’t know how anyone enjoys it, at least with pubs. Maybe groups of mates on mics fare better.

i have found that fighting bots needs quick single-target shots; the Slugger is very good for this because it one-shots bot chaff and if you aim well you can kill everything up to the size of a Devastator in one shot. it's also deeply satisfying to pop their little lovely heads off.

Slugger is also flexible enough to work close-in or at DMR ranges, which means it's basically catnip for me

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Can you blast through a Bile Titan's abdomen with the AC? The HMG has enough penetration to deal damage through the bile sacs underneath a BT's rear section and actually deal damage and potentially kill, but haven't tried with the AC.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think people overvalue the Sickle's ammo situation. (The real reason it's the best automatic is the lack of recoil.)

I've never had ammo issues with any primary. Just resupply! Just arrived at an objective you need to occupy for more than 10s? Throw it next to the console. Running between objectives and resupply comes off cooldown? Throw it in front of you at max range so it arrives as you pass.

Then again I don't lone wolf it for more than brief excursions to deal with something near an objective.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 12, 2024

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

novaSphere posted:

Can you blast through a Bile Titan's abdomen with the AC? The HMG has enough penetration to deal damage through the bile sacs underneath a BT's rear section and actually deal damage and potentially kill, but haven't tried with the AC.

I usually fire two AC shots at the underside of the butt of the bile titan so it can't spit anymore, then run away while someone with bigger weapons kill it.

Any green fleshy sac is vulnerable to the AC.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

RC Cola posted:

Give me a laser grenade and I'll use it too

:sickos:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

New favorite load out for bots:

Stun Grenades, Sentinel Revolver, Erupter, Quasar, Shield Pack., Orbital laser, Walking Barrage.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

novaSphere posted:

You can, It take 10 or 20 shots, don't remember which.

The thing is you have to be right under them or your shot will most likely bounce off.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ravendas posted:

I usually fire two AC shots at the underside of the butt of the bile titan so it can't spit anymore, then run away while someone with bigger weapons kill it.

Any green fleshy sac is vulnerable to the AC.

Right yeah, I'm probably not using the right words because I don't know terminid anatomy; I saw a video detailing the HMG support weapon magdumping the underside of a BT's butt section and keep dealing damage after the green sacs were destroyed, and eventually kill with no additional help. Not very practical, but at least possible.

Edit: ^^^^ he'll yeah bröther ac keeps winning

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Open petition to add a voice line when you shoot a shotgun over and over saying “yeah you like that? You like that?” Like Rico in starship troopers

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
For bots I've been really digging medium explosive resist armor, Sickle+stun nade+grenade pistol, AMR+Ballistic shield , and 120+380 when I'm playing from more of a solo perspective (like when say, two goon teammates can handle objectives on their own and I go and clear other ones)grenade pistol gets small fabs, sickle for berserkers and down, AMR for devastators and up, 120+380 to drop on a large base solo and just waltz in to clean up the leftovers.

The ballistic shield+explosive resist armor gives so much protection when you get in over your head and need to pull back while 30 bots are on your tail, it's nuts. I think I like AC+sickle+EAT+two strike options when I'm playing moreso with the team, but for the solo work the other loadout has been working great.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
eruptor and spear does real work against bots

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

maybe I should try medium armor again sometime

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

RC Cola posted:

Unironically I like bots more than bugs. But also they require different playstyles so I can keep rotating my weapons that I use. Owns

Big this, once JOEL made us fight the bots I never went back.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bots have been my preference almost from release. Its really great though how different both factions feel. Almost like different games. Looking forward to the Illuminate.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
to kill tanks, land your hellpod on top and shoot the vent with your armor piercing machine gun until the tank explodes, killing you.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Thanks to everyone about the advice about bots.

Tried using Eruptor & Quasar against them and was more effective. Still have the shield for my training wheel though.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I’ve started 3 Bot missions now by dropping directly on top of a Laser Turret. I fortunately always bring Railcannon, so I drop the stratagem between my feet and then swan dive. The pressure wave pushes me to (mostly) safety.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

The secret to fighting bots is that you don't need to kill all the bots. Getting stuck in prolonged firefights with them is how you die.

Get stuck in a firefight and more bots keep coming in? You can just leave. If it sucks, hit da bricks. Don't storm the gates of their big dumb compounds, just kill the factories with bombs. Or sneak in through the back.

Also, bring an autocannon. It wrecks everything but hulks. For tanks, just run behind them.

Autocannon can kill hulks with eyeshots

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

space uncle posted:

I’ve started 3 Bot missions now by dropping directly on top of a Laser Turret. I fortunately always bring Railcannon, so I drop the stratagem between my feet and then swan dive. The pressure wave pushes me to (mostly) safety.

When fighting bots, pick the reddest zone you can deploy to and drop on it hot. No matter where you land you're going to be swarmed by robots in seconds so you might as well land on one of their bases and take the free real estate.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...32c9190e81a831&

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RC Cola posted:

I am the laser man. Energy weapons are life. Sickle forever. Quasar forever. Laser pistol forever. Give me a laser grenade and I'll use it too

sickle
dagger
quasar/cannon
laser dog
orbital laser

all we need is a laser grenade and a laser eagle weapon and we can be FULL TIME LASER MEN

space uncle posted:

my favorite thing when i'm getting fatally swarmed is to punch in a 500kg or cluster bomb, drop it on the ground, and roll on my back and embrace glory

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sagebrush posted:

sickle
dagger
quasar/cannon
laser dog
orbital laser

all we need is a laser grenade and a laser eagle weapon and we can be FULL TIME LASER MEN

my favorite thing when i'm getting fatally swarmed is to punch in a 500kg or cluster bomb, drop it on the ground, and roll on my back and embrace glory

using the sickle amd quaser instead of the scythe and canon is a sign of weakness

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Darox posted:

It's 4 by default and upgrades to 5, and it always has been that way. Most others are 2 upgraded to 3, clusterbombs is special for some reason despite being one of the top 3 eagle strikes even without that bonus.

It definitely has the best sound out of the lot.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Kinda wish the HMG emplacement benefitted from those sentry upgrades

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jokes posted:

Open petition to add a voice line when you shoot a shotgun over and over saying “yeah you like that? You like that?” Like Rico in starship troopers

This is Sugar who says this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

using the sickle amd quaser instead of the scythe and canon is a sign of weakness

Then I am weak and I bask in it