Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I feel like that's much more 'Madison Square Garden pricing' meeting with scalpers in the great American marketplace of grift, and not so much Dropout's call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

There’s good amount of discourse on TikTok about the anti-capitalist DND show going through Ticketmaster. It’s all very interesting discussion that I hope is a great learning experience for lots of folks on all sides.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 12, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ultimately hate the game not the player – and they've already noted the show will be on Dropout in the future.

This would be pretty good prelude to doing a roadshow where they could do smaller venues, but the new baby probably prohibits that for a couple years at least.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
also like most major venues are contractually obligated to use Ticketmaster.

They have a monopoly on that poo poo.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I'm not fond of the current season trend to break up battles across multiple episodes. Feels like a major interruption of flow.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Has there been any official statements from Sam or anyone really on the Ticketmaster scam?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what exactly would they be able to say or do

I'm as impressed as any of y'all that dropout has enough clout to run a show at madison square garden at all but I don't think that extends to being able to overrule a monopoly

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

flatluigi posted:

what exactly would they be able to say or do

I'm as impressed as any of y'all that dropout has enough clout to run a show at madison square garden at all but I don't think that extends to being able to overrule a monopoly

Yeah, complaining about them going through ticketmaster feels very much like "...and yet you participate in capitalism! Curious."

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 13, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
for people outside the us, MSG is up there in terms of instantly recognizable named venues in the entire country & I firmly believe Ticketmaster and scalpers do their thing for literally every event that gets hosted there

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Ticketmaster has exclusivity contracts with many major venues, if you want to play them you have to deal with them.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

PharmerBoy posted:

I'm not fond of the current season trend to break up battles across multiple episodes. Feels like a major interruption of flow.

Has this happened outside of the current fight or the start of the season? I can't remember.

I think [mild spoilers for most recent episode] they're going to regret spending that many resources on the first wave. The CR was suspiciously low so I imagine we're going to see at least 3 waves.

Personally I kinda liked breaking it up, all RP or all combat episodes feel like they drag more for me.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ticketmaster's monopoly is global, us outside the US know full well how bad it is and how big MSG is. I'd at least expect some form of apology from Sam even if they can't do anything to fix it because it's still lovely and it still fucks over the majority of the fans who wanted to see them.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 12, 2024

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

10 bucks they’re not going to talk about it and IMO that’s the right call.

Not even Taylor Swift ™️ was able to fight Ticketmaster.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's also a very weird venue. Always stupid expensive, hard to actually sell out completely. LCD Soundsystem famously faked a break up so they could ensure it would be packed. From various sources, recall hearing that the acts themselves don't make that much money off playing there, it's so esteemed that you take a wash compared to what the venue itself rakes in. The kind of place you play at to say you played at it.

Given how anti-Capitalist the show is, do think it's fair to chuckle at them doing a show at that place, but like, can't fault them. What an opportunity! & free press/marketing if they do sell it out.

Given Dropout as a company did mother-loving profit sharing (imagine that!! in 2023!!), I hope no one's actually mad at them for it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 12, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've heard of it a bunch but never actually seen it so in my head it looks like Madison Cube Garden from Futurama.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's also a very weird venue. Always stupid expensive, hard to actually sell out completely. LCD Soundsystem famously faked a break up so they could ensure it would be packed. From various sources, recall hearing that the acts themselves don't make that much money off playing there, it's so esteemed that you take a wash compared to what the venue itself rakes in. The kind of place you play at to say you played at it.

Given how anti-Capitalist the show is, do think it's fair to chuckle at them doing a show at that place, but like, can't fault them. What an opportunity! & free press/marketing if they do sell it out.

Given Dropout as a company did mother-loving profit sharing (imagine that!! in 2023!!), I hope no one's actually mad at them for it.

I saw U2 there in like 2016. Except I went with a friend whose Dad was a fancy lawyer in the city and whose company had a luxury box. That’s the way to go to MSG. Start polling friends now for who has access to a luxury box. It will probably be empty that night because none of the older execs know wtf D20 is.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 12, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I've heard of it a bunch but never actually seen it so in my head it looks like Madison Cube Garden from Futurama.

ive been there but all my mental images of it are from the 1998 godzilla movie

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
okay wait, You guys need to understand something there is

MSG the Arena, and MSG the Theater in the arena building.

They almost assuredly are not renting the arena lmao.

https://www.msg.com/venue-rentals-event-rentals/rent-theater-madison-square-garden/

vs

https://www.msg.com/venue-rentals-event-rentals/rent-madison-square-garden#about-the-arena

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I'd at least expect some form of apology from Sam

lmao

It's still streaming too, Karen.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dexo posted:

https://www.msg.com/venue-rentals-event-rentals/rent-theater-madison-square-garden/

vs

https://www.msg.com/venue-rentals-event-rentals/rent-madison-square-garden#about-the-arena

what if they rented the arena and then brennan got basketball dunked on

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Dexo posted:

vs

Ticketmaster page: https://www.ticketmaster.com/dropout-live-nation-present-dimension-20-new-york-new-york-01-24-2025/event/3B00607C89DA0DA2
Arena seat map: https://www.msg.com/madison-square-garden/seating/msg-knicks
Theater seat map: https://www.msg.com/the-theater-at-msg/seating/hulutheater-live

Sure looks like the arena to me

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That's both crazy and awesome, good for them.

Escaping Ticketmaster if you want to play any large venue is basically impossible, so whatever. It's a prestige thing (and a pretty good one).

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dexo posted:

Better put that rear end back on!

Do imagine they're going to get a writeup in NYT and other media for this. Last big dnd-podcast stunt I feel was Critical Role being the most successful Kickstarter to date or something like that.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

CR did some show in Wembley Arena that sold out relatively recently didn't they?

Or was that another case of different venue, related name?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I could see them doing MSG and the one shot is about a bloodsucking vampire named the Wicked Master or something like that

They don't have Taylor Swift pull but Brennan will definitely be throwing shade

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

CR did some show in Wembley Arena that sold out relatively recently didn't they?

Or was that another case of different venue, related name?

Wembley Arena and Wembley Stadium are different, yes. One holds 12 thousand, the other 100 thousand

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah at this point I've just kinda given up on getting any tickets to any live events larger than like a small indie wrestling show at decent prices.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

quote:

Andrew Bridgman — Today at 9:29 PM
@Dimension 20 Notification Hey everyone! A statement from us here at Dropout and Dimension 20 about the ticket situation with Madison Square Garden - apologies it took a bit of time to get this all sorted, not the easiest stuff to coordinate when the whole cast is mid-travel and everyone at Dropout was prepping for our hiatus (which started yesterday):

The last time Dimension 20 had a live show was in 2019 - nearly 5 years ago - in the Bell House theater in Brooklyn, New York. It seated around 200 people, and we had to work to fill it. We expected our live show at Madison Square Garden to go roughly the same, just on a bigger scale - given we were punching so high above our weight class, we would have to work pretty hard to fill the Garden. After all, it was Madison Square Garden. We had misjudged the situation, to say the least.

Even though the UK live show tour tickets had sold quickly, it was nothing compared to what we saw with the situation over the Gauntlet at the Garden tickets. Dynamic Pricing / Platinum Tickets had not been something explained to us, nor something presented as something we had the ability to opt out of - once we had a better understanding of the situation as a group, we communicated to Live Nation that it was Dropout and the cast’s desire to opt out of all dynamic pricing tickets for this event and for all events going forward.

Thankfully, the average cost of all tickets sold so far (over 15,000 now!) is $119, meaning the vast majority of fans attending got tickets at a much more reasonable price, and dynamic pricing nonsense only kicked in for the few remaining seats. Even still, plenty of fans who wanted to attend got priced out quickly, and so we’re aiming to address that here and in the future in a few different ways:

Stop the dynamic pricing options for this show and all future shows.
Introducing Dimensioneer Tickets - a lottery system where selected individuals will have the opportunity to buy up to two tickets for $35/each (for seats placed all over the event space, including the best seats in the house). Apparently it’s something Olivia Rodrigo does! Thanks for the idea, Olivia. Links for that will be distributed soon.

This was already announced, but a recording of the live show will be going up on Dropout at no additional cost for all Dropout subscribers. We want to make our live shows as accessible to fans as possible, but the truth is that if you can't get to New York, if you can't get the night off work, if you can't afford the flight or the hotel, then you still can't go regardless of ticket prices. The most significant thing to us is that the live shows end up where the show itself lives, and that all our fans all over the world get a chance to participate.

We are so deeply grateful to everyone who has supported Dropout and Dimension 20 over the years and made this event sell out so quickly. And now that we have a better sense of how all of this works, the next live show will go much smoother. That’s been the journey of Dropout and Dimension 20 - trying a bunch of stuff, figuring out what works, and doing it better the next time around. And ultimately, we’re so grateful to have a venue that can accommodate so many of you. We could never have dreamed five years ago of having thousands of you in one place.

In the meantime, everyone at Dropout is on a two week companywide hiatus, and the cast of Dimension 20 is kicking off their UK live show tour in just a few days. Fans of Dimension 20 will have a LOT to look forward to in the next year, so stay tuned.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Loten posted:

Also Grant was supposed to be in this one, but tested positive for COVID on set and they had to sub in Brennan an hour before it started. I'd love to see Grant's bingo card.
Unspoiled since it's been long enough by now

https://x.com/samreich/status/1779902554757034027

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
It’s perfect

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The new(ish) Um Actually is another banger episode and Dropout should try to get professional wrestlers on the show more often

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm not sure if I like Um Actually with Ify as much as I did with Mike Trapp, it feels to me that Ify isn't quite pedantic enough and gives away the points too easily.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I've done the same reflection, and it feels like they have made a decision that someone should get the point every question

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
But... That's the Ify Special.

That's exactly how he got most of the points he got as a contestant- vaguely highlighting the aspect that is incorrect without worrying about the specifics, and banking that your competitors won't know The Thing.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I personally think the points are secondary to the cast just riffing on each other, and I think Ify is the better host for facilitating that, so I'm good

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

inthesto posted:

I personally think the points are secondary to the cast just riffing on each other, and I think Ify is the better host for facilitating that, so I'm good

Exactly, if this were a straight up Jeopardy! style show then Trapp does a great job but this is about the goofs as well as the correction. Last week's episode was really great

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I like that BDG lives on set and they have to make that joke not just once an episode, but several times.

At least they do the research to help in the Ify Specials, even think I'm pretty sure most of the fun facts thrown are (at least so far this series) "I have a friiend and he told me" anecdotes.

I think ify and Brian are fine and will ease into it the more they do it. First season jitters and all that, but the only real criticism I have with the update is just the Shiny Stage challenges being just "connect the things to the thing" when I'm pretty sure you could've made it a speed round on the buzzer, given them paper and a marker and connect the dots or just figure out better uses for that corner.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ify and bdg are good but the guests all think theyre on dirty laundry. its a show for nerds to correct each other, not a show for five minute tangential riffs and anecdotes between every question

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

scary ghost dog posted:

ify and bdg are good but the guests all think theyre on dirty laundry. its a show for nerds to correct each other, not a show for five minute tangential riffs and anecdotes between every question

I'm fine with the riffing, in fact, I find it charming. I'm definitely in the "I wish they hadn't stopped tailoring the statements" camp, though. I understand that it was a lot (LOT) more work, but it's more fun with they actually know the correction to things and don't have to poke around every statement blindly. I think the themed episodes are better recently just because of that.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think today's Breaking News might be a record.

Amy gets on the board before Aabria even finished the generic intro of the premise, Grant hadn't even written a joke yet.

Pigma_Micron posted:

I'm fine with the riffing, in fact, I find it charming. I'm definitely in the "I wish they hadn't stopped tailoring the statements" camp, though. I understand that it was a lot (LOT) more work, but it's more fun with they actually know the correction to things and don't have to poke around every statement blindly. I think the themed episodes are better recently just because of that.

Honestly, the best question this season might have been the one about Clone Wars because of that, because Hector actually dead on knowing the answer still gave them room to riff around the whole situation with the Gendy Tartakovsky version in a fun way.

Basically, one person on the panel being likely to know a given answer is more fun to me to watch than 3 people blindly guessing until Ify gets bored and goes 'close enough'. And it makes it fun when that person gets sniped by someone either blindly guessing or surprisingly being able to logic it out.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 17, 2024