Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Laura what in the world are you wearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Right now there's tons of snake oil salesman claiming their magnetic bracelets slow the aging process, so maybe that works for the Master of Magnetism as well

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Laura what in the world are you wearing

Maybe it's Talon!

Haha, it's not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean I much rather have the Laura they will do things with than talon

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
With Magneto it was explicit that after being turned into a baby and then back to adulthood that he ended up being younger than he used to be.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Lanzing and Kelly have been pretty consistently good from the stuff of theirs I’ve read, really enjoyed their captain America run. Pretty cool to see Anole, X-Kids eating good with Surge on X-Force. Now let’s fix Rockslide

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

It's pretty funny how Peach Mokomo's version of Ultimate X-Men effortlessly outclasses every single one of the original series' 100+ issues, just by being a pretty good Image-style YA horror comic, and also by totally ignoring every previous issue of Ultimate X-Men.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well yeah it's ignoring it because it's a completely different universe. No relation to the old series at all.

The old Ultimate X-Men wasn't even very good at the time it was written much less a decade plus later.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Speaking of little or no connection to previous series, I really like the lineup of NYX in terms of characters but I have no idea who the hell the talent involved is and the fact that it's named NYX makes me...skeptical (cuz the first one was bad!)

Also a little weird that it's described as formerly young X-Men exploring young adult life. That works for everyone else, but is Kamala gonna be a 16 year old hanging out with a bunch of twentysomethings?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

Speaking of little or no connection to previous series, I really like the lineup of NYX in terms of characters but I have no idea who the hell the talent involved is and the fact that it's named NYX makes me...skeptical (cuz the first one was bad!)

Also a little weird that it's described as formerly young X-Men exploring young adult life. That works for everyone else, but is Kamala gonna be a 16 year old hanging out with a bunch of twentysomethings?

I like most of Jackson and Lanzing's things. Their Captain America was really good and so was Thunderbolts. I wasn't as high on their Guardians book but a whole bunch of other people really liked it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Indie Rocktopus posted:

It's pretty funny how Peach Mokomo's version of Ultimate X-Men effortlessly outclasses every single one of the original series' 100+ issues, just by being a pretty good Image-style YA horror comic, and also by totally ignoring every previous issue of Ultimate X-Men.

It amuses me when I see people legit complaining about this. Of course it's different, its a new universe. Silly people out there, man.

I'm glad its not just the regular X-Men with a different coat of paint.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lanzing & Kelly are great. Kinda irks me to see them on this book and Marcus To on X-Force when they could have paired them back together. They did Joyride from Boom which is one of my favorite creator owned books in the last several years.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

X-O posted:

The old Ultimate X-Men wasn't even very good at the time it was written much less a decade plus later.

Man, those books were like if the X-Men: Last Stand movie was an 8-season FX original series. Just this passionless slog of halfway-rewritten stories and botched cameos from unrecognizable characters and it just wouldn't die. It's wild if you look at the rest of the line, Bendis was writing really solid teenage Spider-Man stories, and Millar and Hitch kind of fell bass-ackwards into accidentally creating the MCU, and then X-Men was just... nothing.

Anyone remember how Bryan Singer was supposed to write an arc, and it kept getting postponed?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I really like the lineup of NYX in terms of characters but I have no idea who the hell the talent involved is and the fact that it's named NYX makes me...skeptical (cuz the first one was bad!)

If I remember correctly, the first NYX was sort of the mutant version of Euphoria?

Edit: \/ \/ Agreed!

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 12, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

These posts from Lanzing are really selling me more on the book.

https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/status/1778512883363815886

https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/status/1778513077266493892

https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/status/1778527294216372713

The last one. Yes please.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Great we're gonna have to listen to Pete Wisdom talk about how Pulp was actually the most important band of all time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Anyone remember how Bryan Singer was supposed to write an arc, and it kept getting postponed?

That is kinda funny. I've been hanging around forums and stuff just reading X-Men commentary and trivia the past week or two and one thing I learned is that there were no comic books allowed on the set of X-Men.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NikkolasKing posted:

That is kinda funny. I've been hanging around forums and stuff just reading X-Men commentary and trivia the past week or two and one thing I learned is that there were no comic books allowed on the set of X-Men.
So I assume you also heard the best part of that anecdote; one of Executive Producer Lauren Shuler Donner's assistants would sneak comic books to the cast during the shoot. Some guy named Kevin something.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Didn't the Original Ultimate X-Men like, want us to very much like Wolverine in it? And This Wolverine was just a huge piece of poo poo and a pedophile? And also tried to just straight up kill Cyclops so that he could gently caress the 16 year old or something Jean Grey?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I know it's a very iconic story and the Phoenix is now a big part of the cosmology of the Marvel universe even outside of X-Men but I am so loving tired of the Phoenix. I don't know how hot of a take that is, but I'm just tired of how so many X-Men stories (especially anything involving Jean Grey) always loops back to the Phoenix.

Heavy Metal posted:

And let's not forget Magik loves Garfield! Well Garfield is always in the zeitgeist.

oh hey some news on the new Nyx book

https://x.com/marvel/status/1778502416859529444?s=46

Wow, a Marvel book taking place in NYC?!? How bold and new!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
which x-writer do I have to send a briefcase of unmarked bills to in order to get Rockslide back

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
marvel just straight up not trying to hide that krakoa is destroyed :wtc:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Two Pair, if we all got a penny for every time you posted you were so loving tired of [something] we'd all be living in mansions. On the moon.

Still, as far as Phoenix goes, this upcoming book is very much something I wanted 20 years ago but now it's happening, I'm pretty apprehensive. I was so happy with X-Red Vol 1 Jean having put all that behind her yet here she is being dragged back into it. I dunno, maybe she's gonna be flying about the galaxy righting wrongs, burning down bastards, and eating the occasional star but hmmmmmmmmmm.

Alaois posted:

Great we're gonna have to listen to Pete Wisdom talk about how Pulp was actually the most important band of all time

I'd have no issue with that at all.

:colbert:

That train of thought has me imagining all the covers done album cover style, including Fred Dukes doing The Holy Bible. Hopefully with his magnificent 'tache.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean...I know that I constantly bring this up, but yeah it actually has been twenty dang years since mainline 616 Jean has been Phoenix in the comics. If someone is tired of Phoenix, it is demonstrably not because Jean herself has been Phoenix, because practically everyone else has been Phoenix except for her.

LIke...it's time. It's way past time. Let her cook.

I will say, though, that I've been pretty pissed at Weapon X-Men...or whatever the hell that book is...for kind of blowing the collective Phoenix load before before the actual current big Phoenix story got to its actual climactic spurt, and not even doing so in a way that highlights Jean, but loving multiverse Wolverines instead. Seriously, way to suck all the Phoenoxygen out of the room before Gillen got to his big finish.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

that assumes anyone's reading weapon xmen lmao

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

Two Pair, if we all got a penny for every time you posted you were so loving tired of [something] we'd all be living in mansions. On the moon.

Hey I only do that... sometimes :sweatdrop: (to my memory it's only been Joker, Carnage, everyone knowing Batman's identity, and now Phoenix oh no it is turning into a habit)

BrianWilly posted:

I mean...I know that I constantly bring this up, but yeah it actually has been twenty dang years since mainline 616 Jean has been Phoenix in the comics. If someone is tired of Phoenix, it is demonstrably not because Jean herself has been Phoenix, because practically everyone else has been Phoenix except for her.

I guess that's fair. I suppose it's only recently gotten on my nerves since the recent White Hot Room stuff where they find Jean after her death and basically acknowledge that she's the key to how Mother Righteous is gonna kill the Phoenix Force (or did already I guess) because even though Jean wasn't the Phoenix when she died, she just still is basically? (if I was reading the story right, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

that assumes anyone's reading weapon xmen lmao

hey, i read the first issue. i regret it, and will not be reading any more.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I will say, though, that I've been pretty pissed at Weapon X-Men...or whatever the hell that book is...for kind of blowing the collective Phoenix load before before the actual current big Phoenix story got to its actual climactic spurt, and not even doing so in a way that highlights Jean, but loving multiverse Wolverines instead. Seriously, way to suck all the Phoenoxygen out of the room before Gillen got to his big finish.

I mean, from what I've seen of it, and based on the premise, Weapon X-Men looks like a big tongue-in-cheek book. I don't think anybody is really taking it seriously or that they're supposed to.

As such, not sure it can really steal anybody's thunder.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I guess that's fair. I suppose it's only recently gotten on my nerves since the recent White Hot Room stuff where they find Jean after her death and basically acknowledge that she's the key to how Mother Righteous is gonna kill the Phoenix Force (or did already I guess) because even though Jean wasn't the Phoenix when she died, she just still is basically? (if I was reading the story right, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

It's been established that the White Hot Room contains everyone who has ever or will ever host the Phoenix Force, as it exists outside of time and space. So it's not surprising that after any of Jeans deaths that she could be found there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

Announced last month, X-MEN will be the first of three flagship X-titles set in the upcoming From the Ashes era. No longer living under the protection of Krakoa, it’s a dangerous time for mutants everywhere, and dangerous times call for radical action! Cyclops gathers a group of his most trusted and reliable mutant soldiers along with the brightest of the next generation to tackle the most prevalent threats to mutantkind, including an existential new enemy that rises out of the remains of ORCHIS. Prepare for a reckoning as this team handles explosive mutant-specific issues without restraint. Humanity can hate them all they want, as long as they fear them!

FROM THE ASHES! Krakoa is gone, ORCHIS has fallen…but the X-Men remain, always. Cyclops leads, because that is what he does. Beast builds, because that is what he does. And from their new home in Alaska, the X-Men raise a flag of defiance. Mutant business is their business. Join Cyclops, Beast, Magneto, Psylocke, Magik, Kid Omega, Temper, and Juggernaut as new forces in the world move into position, battling for the destiny and philosophy of the mutant species.

Juggernaut is just a human being with a magical gem, isn't he? Why is he there in the mutant radicals team?

Does his mini from a few years ago go over anything new I should know? It's on my Krakoa Reading Guide.

Also my reading has been too slow these past couple days, I just now finished X-Men #7 with The Crucible. I had vague cult-y feelings early on with everyone chanting MUTANT but this kina solidified that. As Kurt said, they needed a mutant religion.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

NikkolasKing posted:

Juggernaut is just a human being with a magical gem, isn't he? Why is he there in the mutant radicals team?

Because he's a good guy now and was elected to the X-Men before everything went to poo poo. Also because he's cool and good.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

rantmo posted:

Because he's a good guy now and was elected to the X-Men before everything went to poo poo. Also because he's cool and good.

This. He became a lot more chill once he worked through his issues with Xavier. Between his "partnership" with Black Tom and befriending Squid Boy, he's become a very good mutant ally.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
During the Krakoa era it was pointed out that he was pretty much Xavier's number 1 fan now.

Anyway while not a mutant, he's a prominent ally and well liked.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xavier didn't want Juggernaut on Krakoa, so Legion brings him on as part of his team to spite him. He' was partnered with Forget-Me-Not.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
How do you think Juggernaut spent his time flying through space in Sins of Sinister for like hundreds of years?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

No better zealot than a convert.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I thought they called out that because Juggernaut was moving at lightspeed the time difference was not the same for him as it was for the rest of the universe, but I could be mistaken.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

How do you think Juggernaut spent his time flying through space in Sins of Sinister for like hundreds of years?

Flying through space mostly

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

my recent x-men run somehow turned, from seeing Legion and what was going on with him, to a New Mutants OG read. And I have to say like 12 issues in, it's real cool to see these characters grow in their abilities and confidence. And it's cool this is from the teenage experience (from a middle-aged pen). But they should rename it New Mutants: Go Off Somewhere to Cry.

Lol, it's every issue has one of this kids need to find a forest to pour one out for themselves

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

The same way Bender did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shageletic posted:

my recent x-men run somehow turned, from seeing Legion and what was going on with him, to a New Mutants OG read. And I have to say like 12 issues in, it's real cool to see these characters grow in their abilities and confidence. And it's cool this is from the teenage experience (from a middle-aged pen). But they should rename it New Mutants: Go Off Somewhere to Cry.

Lol, it's every issue has one of this kids need to find a forest to pour one out for themselves

They just like us for real