Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

oof bro got scammed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

hm so it looks ilke i want this to pass I should vote republican? i thought we could only have good things if we elect one ore democrat???

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Also, it's not crazy that Homer describes it as a wine dark sea. That's really what the Mediterranean looks like at sun rise and sun set

These are folks who don't seem to get that "wine dark sea" is a phrase like "grey eyed Athena" or "Resourceful Odysseus": stock epithets that he uses all the time and likely come from the oral tradition because they were easy to memorize and keep the right rhythm with.

One famously weird literal translation is "The loud barking dogs were not barking", because in Homer, all dogs are loud barking dogs.

The Odyssey, Book 16 posted:

τὼ δ᾽ αὖτ᾽ ἐν κλισίῃ Ὀδυσεὺς καὶ δῖος ὑφορβὸς
ἐντύνοντο ἄριστον ἅμ᾽ ἠοῖ, κηαμένω πῦρ,
ἔκπεμψάν τε νομῆας ἅμ᾽ ἀγρομένοισι σύεσσι:
Τηλέμαχον δὲ περίσσαινον κύνες ὑλακόμωροι,
5οὐδ᾽ ὕλαον προσιόντα. νόησε δὲ δῖος Ὀδυσσεὺς
σαίνοντάς τε κύνας, περί τε κτύπος ἦλθε ποδοῖϊν.
αἶψα δ᾽ ἄρ᾽ Εὔμαιον ἔπεα πτερόεντα προσηύδα:

Εὔμαι᾽, ἦ μάλα τίς τοι ἐλεύσεται ἐνθάδ᾽ ἑταῖρος
ἢ καὶ γνώριμος ἄλλος, ἐπεὶ κύνες οὐχ ὑλάουσιν,
10ἀλλὰ περισσαίνουσι: ποδῶν δ᾽ ὑπὸ δοῦπον ἀκούω.

Meanwhile Odysseus and the swineherd had lit a fire in the hut and were getting breakfast ready at daybreak for they had sent the men out with the pigs. When Telemakhos came up, the dogs did not bark, but fawned upon him, so Odysseus, hearing the sound of feet and noticing that the dogs did not bark, said to Eumaios:

"Eumaios, I hear footsteps; I suppose one of your men or some one of your acquaintance is coming here, for the dogs are fawning upon him and not barking."

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

hm so it looks ilke i want this to pass I should vote republican?

no, if you don't trust the NSA you need to get off tick tock and stop absorbing anti-patriotic Russian propaganda

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Toph Bei Fong posted:

These are the same people who think that the Japanese think Green and Blue are the same color and can't tell the difference. When they definitely can tell the difference, and they just group colors differently from us in the West.

https://ottowretling.medium.com/why-so-many-things-are-described-as-blue-in-japanese-1db0835dc046

Many other languages and cultures have the same thing.

blue herons are blue regionally though lol

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Toph Bei Fong posted:

These are the same people who think that the Japanese think Green and Blue are the same color and can't tell the difference. When they definitely can tell the difference, and they just group colors differently from us in the West.

https://ottowretling.medium.com/why-so-many-things-are-described-as-blue-in-japanese-1db0835dc046

Many other languages and cultures have the same thing.

Yeah people think those colors are the first colors originally used in Japanese cause they're the only ones that have adjective forms like 青い、白い、赤い、黒い. Other colors use names like 黄色 and 灰色 where you have the character for "color" in the word. I've definitely heard this before but I don't know if it's actually true that those were the original colors

In actual everyday usage though, the specific term "aoi" on its own in Japanese really just means blue as far as I have ever been able to tell (notwithstanding the compound words that refer to green stuff)

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Apr 12, 2024

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

VitalSigns posted:

no, if you don't trust the NSA you need to get off tick tock and stop absorbing anti-patriotic Russian propaganda

i only absorb patriotic russian propaganda

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

If a language doesn’t have the words to distinguish between an entire sherwin Williams product catalog on day one then honestly wtf is the point of even having a language

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
one of the first places i ever heard the "wine-dark sea" thing was from radiolab. you know, the same place that had Jonah Lehrer on as a frequent contributor before people found out he was a serial plagiarist and fabricator. so like, great track record for that show

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
“wine-dark sea” is immediately evocative and poetic, as well as accurate without qualifying. anyone who misunderstands is probably either illiterate or severely autistic

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

scary ghost dog posted:

“wine-dark sea” is immediately evocative and poetic, as well as accurate without qualifying. anyone who misunderstands is probably either illiterate or severely autistic

Bad news about classicists.

Though historically, you left out "colonial official" and "pederast".

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Bad news about classicists.

lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the best adjective for describing the sea is probably "big," or maybe "large."

The problem with "blue" or "wine-dark" is that the sea can appear different colors in different situations. It's just not consistent and leads to arguments like we're seeing in this thread. But I don't think anyone would contest that the sea is big, at least compared with other things on our planet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Also, it's not crazy that Homer describes it as a wine dark sea. That's really what the Mediterranean looks like at sun rise and sun set

I always figured wine dark sea was describing the sea at sunset, kinda similar to "The death of afternoon" it evokes a particular time of day and the feelings you'd have around that being a thing you were paying attention to.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

thinking about how in the finale of seinfeld a cop arrests the leading ensemble for making a tape of a guy getting mugged and violating a mandatory good samaritan law but makes zero effort to himself do anything to help the guy getting mugged

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

Uhhh... actually, I think you'll find that Juliet is not a super dense ball of plasma around which the earth rotates, so Shakespeare is a dunce for writing "But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? / It is the east, and Juliet is the sun."

He should have written "Look at Juliet up there on the balcony. I think she is really pretty!" because that's more accurate

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ytlaya posted:

I think the best adjective for describing the sea is probably "big," or maybe "large."

The problem with "blue" or "wine-dark" is that the sea can appear different colors in different situations. It's just not consistent and leads to arguments like we're seeing in this thread. But I don't think anyone would contest that the sea is big, at least compared with other things on our planet.

Even more than arguments over what colour things were, what size they were has inspired endless arguments. To tie it to current events, the Third Temple Movement keeps running into issues with the dimensions of the temple, the menorah, the Ark of the Covenant.

Also, people like to argue over how many people were literally present at some event, say a battle, and when authors were using poetic licence to say "many", or were emphasizing how important something was.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"the wine dark sea" doesn't even mean the sea is red like wine it means it's dark like wine jesus h christ

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lmao I just googled "The Death of Afternoon" to see if there was a good essay or something I could link and because google sucks now it is convinced that I'm really looking for the Hemingway story "Death In The Afternoon" and absolutely refuses to be convinced otherwise and return results on what I'm actually looking for.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm not endorsing it but I can see why a society where you can just lop the head off a peasant who is telling you you can't see green or what color the ocean actually is got so much support from the enfeoffed and armed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I always assumed they never described the ocean as blue because it's almost never really a blue color and almost always more of a green/grey or reflecting the sun and gold/orange/red. It's not that blue

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

VitalSigns posted:

But...like...there is blue in nature. Bluebonnets, bluejays, blueberries, turquoise, sapphires, lapis lazuli, the sky?

i don't mean to dispute the rest of your post since this is just pedantry, but it would have been very unusual for an ancient Greek to see a blueberry.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The sea at sunset turns a beautiful obsidian

this is a shot I took off the coast of Santorini and it was deeply goddamned captivating to just stare at, so I get the poetry of it

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

There was also a huge body of literature in the Georgian and Victorian, sort of associated with Byron and the Philhellenists, that the short, dark, hairy Greeks of the 19th century could not possibly be the same Greeks of Homer and Aristotle, and trying to explain how the Greeks were actually Slavs, a bit like modern Macedonia and Albania, but applied to all Greek speaking people, and the real Greeks were closer to English "stock".

Actually, Sheppard said in the very widely read The Fall of Rome and the Rise of the New Nationalities that you could not understand history without measuring skulls:

"We have already asked the question, What lay outside the Roman empire, its provinces, dependencies, and allied states? The answer is, “the barbarian world”. The words, I am sure, convey to many of us an exceedingly indistinct image, or, perhaps it would be more correct to say, a number of images... The Celt, the Teuton, the Goth, and the Hun, the Vandal... (he proceeds to list several more races)... No one can hope to surpass Gibbon in lucid arrangement yet, with most of the students who have attempted to collect and classify their ideas, after perusing the pages of the Decline and Fall, the result is something like that which I have described. Perhaps some training in the science of ethnology would do more than anything else to clear our conceptions, and impress them permanently on the recollection. I do not of course mean that the student of history would be in duty bound to master the whole science of ethnology, even had ethnology reached that stage when it could be taught as a positive branch of human knowledge. But an acquaintance with its elements would, at any rate, give us a few striking landmarks, which might serve to guide our steps amid the perplexing labyrinth of events through which we have to pass."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

an inuit: you mean they can't see snow?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

an inuit: you mean they can't see snow?

I know the “50 different words for snow” comes from bad anthropology but whenever I’m reminded about it I laugh because English has 100 different words for things that are discarded as garbage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TepidButterASMR/status/1778860986704724426?t=dvNBinH5nCTXeYoh-10OKA&s=19

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Thoguh posted:

lmao I just googled "The Death of Afternoon" to see if there was a good essay or something I could link and because google sucks now it is convinced that I'm really looking for the Hemingway story "Death In The Afternoon" and absolutely refuses to be convinced otherwise and return results on what I'm actually looking for.

I haven't yet used it in earnest but I saw a couple different people talking about Kagi as a search engine and I was able to put in -hemingway and it actually worked.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the virgin sewerslides

lol

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

The whole of academic and pop history is full of “historians” who take a carefully curated selection of sources and torture them into a predetermined or otherwise asinine conclusion. They do this to justify their own sense of cultural/technological/racial/etc superiority over the backwards, primitive cultures of the past, to make some modern political point, or simply stake their claim as someone with something new and controversial to say about X and justify their position as an expert in Academia.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I haven't yet used it in earnest but I saw a couple different people talking about Kagi as a search engine and I was able to put in -hemingway and it actually worked.

their chatgpt clone provides citations with links for every sentence of summarized/generated text which is pretty much the only way i would ever trust gen-ai text

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SgtMongoose posted:

The whole of academic and pop history is full of “historians” who take a carefully curated selection of sources and torture them into a predetermined or otherwise asinine conclusion. They do this to justify their own sense of cultural/technological/racial/etc superiority over the backwards, primitive cultures of the past, to make some modern political point, or simply stake their claim as someone with something new and controversial to say about X and justify their position as an expert in Academia.

the virgin history vs the chad historiography

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I know the “50 different words for snow” comes from bad anthropology

Iirc it was one of those anthropologists who was very into measuring the phalli of the Inuit who wrote

“When in London, in 1921, I recollect reading a graffito in a cultivated hand on the wall of a lavatory (für Manner) at Piccadilly Circus: 'Have you ever been possédé by a man? Do so! It’s great!')”

It's not ideal that half of the humanities were founded by people who went to British boarding school.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The sea at sunset turns a beautiful obsidian

this is a shot I took off the coast of Santorini and it was deeply goddamned captivating to just stare at, so I get the poetry of it

The piss-gold sea

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MappingFL/status/1778512545537540609?t=Z1XUuFY_ZVWuSSdOnRchQA&s=19

We're now at Holocaust denial levels of making bad analogies for voting for Biden

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

PhilippAchtel posted:

The piss-gold sea

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the currently unfinished postmodern religious text “one piece” posits that ancient civilizations were actually more advanced than modern civilizations because they were able to dream of a better world, while modern civilizations are chained to a repressive and stagnant world government and stuck in a false end of history