Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Neito posted:

It is, at least according to the Jargon File.

https://www.catb.org/jargon/html/N/nybble.html

ESR running his site on invalid certs is the pick-me-up I needed today, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

shame on an IGA posted:

ESR running his site on invalid certs is the pick-me-up I needed today, thank you

ESR's whole life is the moral equivalent of invalid certs.

... why is he running his site with the Let's Encrypt SSL cert for a dance company?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Neito posted:

... why is he running his site with the Let's Encrypt SSL cert for a dance company?

I'm going to caution you right now that this is not a thread you will be glad you pulled.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

cruft posted:

I'm going to caution you right now that this is not a thread you will be glad you pulled.

Did you stare too deep into the abyss and are warning me back from it, or are you just making an educated guess based on how broken a human being esr is?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Who's ESR?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Lammasu posted:

Who's ESR?

Eric S Raymond, the man who jammed a whole bunch of bullshit libertarian anti-Mac anti-MS bullshit into the jargon file cus he's a brainpoisoned moron took over curation of the Jargon File in the mid 90s.

He also wrote The Cathedral and the Bazar, one of the "foundational texts" of the modern open source movement.

And probably a sex pest. I think he went full neocon after 9/11, too?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What the gently caress is insurance the jargon file?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Jargon file deez nuts

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Lammasu posted:

What the gently caress is insurance the jargon file?

An interesting read. In its historical form, it's an interesting archive of terms and culture in the hacker movement from the nacent proto-hackers of the 1950s up to just before the launch of the internet into the mainstream in the 1990s. In it's modern form, mostly esr masturbating to how much better he thinks Linux is than Windows and how anyone who uses non-FOSS operating systems voluntarily can't be a "real" hacker.

ETA: Actually I think ESR is one of those GNU/Linux people, but at this point I might just be ascribing every tech belief I hate to him.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Lammasu posted:

Who's ESR?

He's just another oldbeard open source advocate who happens to be a racist, homophobic, misogynist, gun loving libertarian.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Who's ESR?

It stands for Eric loving Raymond

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Neito posted:

An interesting read. In its historical form, it's an interesting archive of terms and culture in the hacker movement from the nacent proto-hackers of the 1950s up to just before the launch of the internet into the mainstream in the 1990s. In it's modern form, mostly esr masturbating to how much better he thinks Linux is than Windows and how anyone who uses non-FOSS operating systems voluntarily can't be a "real" hacker.

ETA: Actually I think ESR is one of those GNU/Linux people, but at this point I might just be ascribing every tech belief I hate to him.

The Jargon File was this community-maintained list of acronyms and insider terms. Eric Raymond jumped in on it, beefed up a lot, and then published it as a printed book.

esr invented the term "Open Source" which pissed off rms (Richard Stallman) who invented "Free Software". Calling esr a "GNU/Linux" person would probably piss off both of them. How you feel about that is going to vary by individual.

esr also wrote a paper called "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" that got a bunch of CEOs all horned up in the 90s and is probably responsible for a lot of the large projects today with public codebases, like Chromium.

And as mentioned, he's a seriously skeezy individual with seriously skeezy opinions on a lot of things. I've personally intervened with him relentlessly hitting on college students at conferences. rms does this too, to an extent, but is nowhere near as aggressive about it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

cruft posted:

The Jargon File was this community-maintained list of acronyms and insider terms. Eric Raymond jumped in on it, beefed up a lot, and then published it as a printed book.

esr invented the term "Open Source" which pissed off rms (Richard Stallman) who invented "Free Software". Calling esr a "GNU/Linux" person would probably piss off both of them. How you feel about that is going to vary by individual.

esr also wrote a paper called "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" that got a bunch of CEOs all horned up in the 90s and is probably responsible for a lot of the large projects today with public codebases, like Chromium.

And as mentioned, he's a seriously skeezy individual with seriously skeezy opinions on a lot of things. I've personally intervened with him relentlessly hitting on college students at conferences. rms does this too, to an extent, but is nowhere near as aggressive about it.

If I can get a 2 for 1 on pissing off both foot-skin-eater and esr, I count it as a win. They're both stains on an awesome, open, and progressive culture.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Neito posted:

If I can get a 2 for 1 on pissing off both foot-skin-eater and esr, I count it as a win. They're both stains on an awesome, open, and progressive culture.

They're both deeply flawed individuals, and both made huge contributions to social/political movements that got us where we are today.

I would stop short of calling them stains, I think rather they deserve some respect for crafting the torch that so many are now carrying with more grace. But I also think it's totally fair to point out that they're disgusting.

Nov 6, 2002

SBF should consider himself lucky.

quote:

A Vietnamese property tycoon was sentenced to death on Thursday (Apr 11) over her role in a 304 trillion dong (US$12.46 billion) financial fraud case, the country's biggest on record.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That's a lot of dongs.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
RMS caused this to be made, which is a net good.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8gealMDsg

what's this other guy ever done?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Boxturret posted:

RMS caused this to be made, which is a net good.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8gealMDsg

what's this other guy ever done?

Blame gays for 9/11.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

quote:

A Vietnamese property tycoon was sentenced to death on Thursday (Apr 11) over her role in a 304 trillion dong (US$12.46 billion) financial fraud case, the country's biggest on record.

... in a row?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cruft posted:

It's important to keep teenage computer nerds away from the Jargon File because it's largely an artifact of a culture that no longer exists (the MIT and Stanford AI labs) but when you're 16 you just decide it's a good idea to try using those terms.

Some things stuck around (foo/bar/foobar, munge, kludge, etc.) but 95% of it is just historical interest.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

cruft posted:

It stands for Eric loving Raymond

Eric Sexpest Raymond was right there

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Everybody Sucks Raymond, the new hit sitcom reboot on CBS about Ray Romano's irresistible penis

Cacator fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 12, 2024

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I've met both in person. RMS tried to hit on one of my college aged friends and ESR literally tried to convince me the USA invented the chili pepper.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
nice time travel to year of the linux on desktop (2002) on the esr sites, featuring a dutchman looking for love in (west) Timor https://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=-10&lon=124

early prototype of brazil.txt

Vesi fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 12, 2024

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Cacator posted:

Everybody Sucks Raymond, the new hit sitcom reboot on CBS

Someone actually made a comic called Everyone Loves Eric Raymond:

https://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's important to keep teenage computer nerds away from the Jargon File because it's largely an artifact of a culture that no longer exists (the MIT and Stanford AI labs) but when you're 16 you just decide it's a good idea to try using those terms.

Some things stuck around (foo/bar/foobar, munge, kludge, etc.) but 95% of it is just historical interest.

I don’t know what the usage they’re trying to claim is but a bunch of computer nerds in the 90s didn’t invent fubar.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
it was me, sorry

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t know what the usage they’re trying to claim is but a bunch of computer nerds in the 90s didn’t invent fubar.

In the Jargon file, it's credited as being a military slang term.

Nov 6, 2002

Someone's never seen Saving Private Ryan.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Crypto nostalgia! Even the lovely facebook crypto group seems to acknowledge that Crypto has problems. Thus they started a thread to list dead coins that were popular before.

So far on the list is:

Auscoin, Bitconnect, Onecoin, Quadriga, Halo, Hoard, Helium, Saitama, Luna, Verge, DCN, WTC, Urus / Aurox, XRP, KBC - Karat Bank Coin, VVS Finance, Bluesparrow, the Commission, Celsius, Cypherium, Human, Echidna, Cudos, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Lisk, bitshares, unobtainium, SFP, Peercoin, B3, Fast, Rise, NXT.

It's like word salsa for scams and reminds me of those African money scams in how they barely even try to come up with names and just mash poo poo together from a dictionary. There's so many I don't even ever remember hearing things about plenty of them.

Then someone in there posts:

"Soland
Bonk honey hmt mobile sol
Pepe marley
Papua new Guinea on bnb smart chain
They were all rug pulled"

And another:

"and gently caress bitshares for cutting off the gateway before the btctalk announcement"

And another person, so, so close to getting it:

"Vericoin and Unobtanium were the hypes when I was a noob. This is why it takes noobs almost 2 cycles to learn why shitcoins are shitcoins."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I know that but "foo", "bar", and "foobar", while probably derived from FUBAR, have kinda different meanings in computers. Basically if you need to name something but you're not feeling very clever right now, you just call it "foo" and move on.

Also the Jargon File is about nerds in the 60s and 70s.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Auscoin, Bitconnect, Onecoin, Quadriga, Halo, Hoard, Helium, Saitama, Luna, Verge, DCN, WTC, Urus / Aurox, XRP, KBC - Karat Bank Coin, VVS Finance, Bluesparrow, the Commission, Celsius, Cypherium, Human, Echidna, Cudos, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Lisk, bitshares, unobtainium, SFP, Peercoin, B3, Fast, Rise, NXT.

WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Pham Nuwen posted:

WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE

the rug's been pulled and we were gulled

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

cruft posted:

They're both deeply flawed individuals, and both made huge contributions to social/political movements that got us where we are today.

I would stop short of calling them stains, I think rather they deserve some respect for crafting the torch that so many are now carrying with more grace. But I also think it's totally fair to point out that they're disgusting.

Somehow I landed on the topic of RMS' creepier attitudes again yesterday: https://drewdevault.com/2023/11/25/2023-11-26-RMS-on-sex.html

Attitudes like this really make it clear to me that the torch should rather firmly and definitively be passed. Especially since, much like what we saw happen with this website, a lot of people become passionately involved in these communities at a young age, when they don't have the experience or context to question the leadership figures. That makes it far too easy for bad attitudes and uncomfortable norms to become concretely embedded, something the tech sector as a whole still isn't really effectively grappling with.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Even the 90s stuff is becoming dated and cringey. But then, I'm one of those people who has always felt that shitheads like ESR and Paul Graham were being hopelessly pretentious when trying to reform the term "hacker" into an elevated status symbol after the federal prosecutions of the early 90s.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

"Soland
Bonk honey hmt mobile sol
Pepe marley
Papua new Guinea on bnb smart chain
They were all rug pulled"

If this were presented without context, I would assume it was somebody's attempt at transcribing mumblecore rap lyrics.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

istewart posted:

Even the 90s stuff is becoming dated and cringey. But then, I'm one of those people who has always felt that shitheads like ESR and Paul Graham were being hopelessly pretentious when trying to reform the term "hacker" into an elevated status symbol after the federal prosecutions of the early 90s.

"hacker" is an interesting one because there was the old meaning, the Jargon File meaning, that meant "somebody who likes and is good at computers" before networking was really even a thing

But then as you say, in the 90s the broader public started talking about "hackers", and they always meant people who did bad poo poo on networks. Nerds got mad and tried to make "cracker" a thing instead, but it never worked.

Over the last 10 years, though, "hacker" has kind of rolled back around and got a bunch of "maker" culture stuck to it, and now it seems like the word gets used to describe somebody who does cool poo poo in hardware or software, and although the criminal meaning is still in use, I guess we're just better at context clues?

edit: btw I guess this is the last revision of the file before ESR got his grubby mitts on it? http://jargon-file.org/archive/jargon-1.5.0.dos.txt. Older versions have rather charming instructions at the beginning on how you should use FTP to keep the 2 main versions (at Stanford and MIT) updated if you want to make changes: http://jargon-file.org/archive/jargon-1.0.0.33.dos.txt

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 12, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Neito posted:

In the Jargon file, it's credited as being a military slang term.
We had a teacher tell us about FUBAR once and then realized what they did and try to walk it back by saying it definitely meant fudged up because no one ever swore in the 40s.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hate the word “maker” so much. It’s like “content creator” but 20 years ago

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
People like stallman still use dumbass esoteric methods to replicate what everyone else is doing so they can say they *technically* do things the "right" way so they can hold their pretentious loving noses up, usually to sniff innocent victims.

Why anyone takes those fucks seriously now is goddamn beyond me. "They all collectively started the open source movement" yeah and they haven't been particularly useful since. Instead they're actively harmful lovely people. They have made zero attempt to actually stay relevant and have coasted on momentum and nerd fame. gently caress those creeps.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Neito posted:

Open Source is better than Free Software because libertarians sometimes shower

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Stallman’s insistence on only using “pure” OS software and hardware is so loving stupid. He literally won’t connect to a wireless access point if it is at all proprietary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/s/KoP3ZgGwMX

https://github.com/ddol/rre-rms

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Boxturret posted:

stop talking about the bitcoinman

I'm stacked up,
Jacked up,
And I'm fifth dan,
I ain't afraid of the BitCoinMan.

Pirate Radar posted:

Your sister would watch Irreversible repeatedly?

Well, you can't rewind it. :dadjoke: