Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I said come in! posted:

So the entire studio was closed? just wasnt able to secure funding for the game they were making?

Don't worry I'm sure the executives all got nice severance payouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/sweetpotatoes/status/1778837645797335183?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is that CEO longhand for "We broke"?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes this is the second studio founded by the same guy that has closed in the past month, and in both cases they are blaming whatever is being reported on by Ethan Gach as destroying them?

In the case of the other one, Crop Circle Games, they just abruptly replaced the company's site with a letter attacking Gach. Jeff's wife and business partner Annie has MS and I know that must be really difficult but they are also kinda melting down over everything in public and all their employees are getting nuked

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1772285059556401400

Edit: at this point they just took down the site entirely but the letter is still on the wayback machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20240405185134/https://cropcircle.co/

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 12, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a classic bit of rhetoric where you put two true statements next to eachother ("we met with our partner to discuss the leaks" and "we mutually agreed to cancel the project during the meeting") without directly linking them in any way, creating the implication that A led to B without technically lying about anything. huge scumbag energy radiating off this dude just from that alone

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just understand that it's definitely not his fault.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol throwing your employees under the bus is always 100% bitch rear end loser behavior.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks like the real "Strain" here is with your plausibility, Jeff!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

it's a classic bit of rhetoric where you put two true statements next to eachother ("we met with our partner to discuss the leaks" and "we mutually agreed to cancel the project during the meeting") without directly linking them in any way, creating the implication that A led to B without technically lying about anything. huge scumbag energy radiating off this dude just from that alone

sounds like big important ceoman is lying to himself that it's all the drat :argh: journalists' :argh: fault too, not just lying to his employees

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Guy must be a vampire because he cant see his reflection when pointing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Jeff's wife Annie Strain posted this unhinged letter after closing another studio in their sham company last week:

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1776033395040301372

This pair really seems like they deserve one another.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
to rub more salt in the wound, the cancelled Project Vonnegut might have been a Shadowrun game for Xbox Games Publishing, going by rumors from a couple years back

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/qrqpld/on_grubbsnax_jeff_grubb_claims_that_xboxs/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OK now lets hear from the employees they just left out to dry, with 0 notice they've been fired, if they share the same sentiments.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In hindsight, this one dude spinning up 4 studios in a couple of years and all of them proud to announce they're working on vaguely defined "AAA games" should have raised some eyebrows.

If you're working at "Fang and Claw" or "Dawon" you hopefully have an escape plan lined up

https://dawon.games/
https://fangandclaw.co/

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

AngryBooch posted:

Jeff's wife Annie Strain posted this unhinged letter after closing another studio in their sham company last week:

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1776033395040301372

This pair really seems like they deserve one another.

"the game did not have core features that have emerged as requirements to be competitive in today's hyper aggressive market"
so sounds like despite all the weird bits trying to spin this as the fault of AI or kotaku reporting on the CEO's multiple sclerosis (why did she jump right to assuming the article would be about that rather than the game? ) they actually failed because they couldn't find any publisher leeches willing to support a game without live-service or mtx or something.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I said come in! posted:

lol throwing your employees under the bus is always 100% bitch rear end loser behavior.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"the game did not have core features that have emerged as requirements to be competitive in today's hyper aggressive market"
so sounds like despite all the weird bits trying to spin this as the fault of AI or kotaku reporting on the CEO's multiple sclerosis (why did she jump right to assuming the article would be about that rather than the game? ) they actually failed because they couldn't find any publisher leeches willing to support a game without live-service or mtx or something.

they could have failed for any number of reasons; "the game did not have core features that have emerged as requirements to be competitive in today's hyper aggressive market" is such an aggressively vague statement that it could mean anything from "we didn't have MTX" to "publishers didn't think our chosen genre had marketability", and it may well still be a dodge to avoid the harder truth of the game just not being fun and them being unable to find a way out of that design hole

the important thing here is that you could say that in, like, 250 words tops, and pumping out a meandering soliloquy that weaponizes her illness for sympathy is not the appropriate statement to make when you're shuttering an entire studio with no severance

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol at a company getting into AAA gaming in the year 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AAA! Games!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This reminds me of the Scarface game which takes the original's ending being a statement on the inevitability of your own downfall when you work in the shadows and said "well that doesn't work in a game so gently caress that Tony lives gently caress yeah crime"

The Scarface video game is good even with how oddly the difficulty swings from "asleep at the wheel" to "you need to manage your resources as close to perfect as possible in this encounter or else you just lose"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waffleman_ posted:

AAAHH!!! Real Games

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Is that CEO longhand for "We broke"?

broke under the Strain

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

what the hell is this company? some kind of fly by night publisher?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

what the hell is this company? some kind of fly by night publisher?

it's ostensibly a big tent company with several subsidiary studios under its umbrella ala ubisoft, but it's looking more and more like a vanity project for a guy with an overinflated ego and an addiction to trying to run a media empire. like, i'm no business genius, but maybe you oughta finish actually releasing one game first before you start up four separate studios making four separate games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jeff and Annie Strain started spinning up studios in Spring of 2021 under the Prytania Media label. Based on the studio sites (including the ones only on the wayback machine now lol):

Possibility Space was making "games around a genuine human experience, while also continuously pushing the envelope on modern gaming technology"

Crop Circle was developing " a powerful new game built around the pillars of hope, humor, and human empowerment"

They actually have two more studios that were started last summer? So who knows if they will have a bit more time or if they're gonna be shuttered soon too:

https://fangandclaw.co/
Fang and Claw is making a "player-centric AAA game... that push the boundaries of interactive, playful strategic sport"

https://dawon.games/
Dawon Games is a "AAA studio creating mobile-first games on a global scale"

Edit: importantly literally none of these studios released any information about anything they've actually worked on... i didn't realize it was this long until austin walker wrote it down lol

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1778898508432412855

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 12, 2024

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

tfw the line didn't go up

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Player centric AAA games because people are so sick of the AAA games that just have attract mode and no way to press start

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm sad this game never came out because I'm fairly certain it would have contained levels of cringe not seen since yiik

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess i still don't know what AAA means

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

It's the smaller batteries

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Zokari posted:

i don't know why you would insist on playing those unless you were a yakuza superfan who just wanted to see them

what's wrong with wanting to see a series through at its beginning? the most fun part about diving into a new one is watching systems evolve each iteration. imagine then the awkwardness of going from the first however many remakes to then remasters back to current day. sure chronologically thats fine but there's more to a video game than its story

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

starting the metal gear solid series with metal gear was a great decision. funny knowing kojima reuses the shut off the console gag twice

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

without knowing about the poisonous giant hamster of Zanzibarland, or NASA's elite operative code-named Black Color, MGS makes no sense whatsoever

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Who is Austin Walker and why do people like him?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a groovy, shagadelic international man of mystery

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

credburn posted:

I don't op.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

credburn posted:

I don't particularly like him but he is/was a games journalist with a podcast who talked a big game about social justice on twitter

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

games that when you play them make you go AAA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

credburn posted:

One of the lesser giant bombsmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I liked austin on giant bomb, and the rare time waypoint streamed something, but his writing sucks rear end and his tenure as editor of waypoint actively caused people harm