Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

shimmy shimmy posted:

Some missing context here if you're unfamiliar with him is that Ismail Haniyeh is the political head of Hamas, rather than a military leader, and is heavily involved in the ceasefire talks. One might think that assassinating his children and grandchildren on a holiday would indicate that the Israeli government is, perhaps, not fully on board with the prospect of a ceasefire.
They're also intending to assassinate Ismail Haniyeh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The ADL just gave Harvard and several other universities an F on their Anti-semitism policies.

Going to the ADL website and reviewing the report brings up this:
https://www.adl.org/campus-antisemitism-report-card/harvard-university

Glad we can share the antisemite label for pointing out modern Zionism is a load of BS.

Anecdotally a lot of the Jewish Brandeis grad students and alum I know are pissed about all the "positive" policies the ADL is praising here. But that's easily a self-selection bias on the types of people I associate with I think.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It's weird, I never read anything by the ADL but I didn't think that they just outright say that anti-Zionism is antisemitism.

I thought they just implied it in various ways or whatever. Why would anyone take them seriously

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/snarwani/status/1778464074499526972?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Houthis got offered extremely generous concessions by the US in return for assuming a neutral stance on Gaza, replied with 'lol, nope'. Implies the pressure they're applying is working, given the stuff America was prepared to give them to stop was hardly cheap.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

kiminewt posted:

It's weird, I never read anything by the ADL but I didn't think that they just outright say that anti-Zionism is antisemitism.

I thought they just implied it in various ways or whatever. Why would anyone take them seriously

Western media has been using their findings to attack younger generations and college students to try to brow beat them into line by screeching their anti-semites because they’re against Israel. It hasn’t worked so they keep doing it louder and louder

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

Houthis got offered extremely generous concessions by the US in return for assuming a neutral stance on Gaza, replied with 'lol, nope'. Implies the pressure they're applying is working, given the stuff America was prepared to give them to stop was hardly cheap.

i guess they arent just opportunistic pirates after all

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

punishedkissinger posted:

i guess they arent just opportunistic pirates after all

This just means they're making such vast profits from piracy it's not worth taking the deal yet

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

quote:

Informed Yemeni sources

drat, anonymous sources ftmfw

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

This whole article is based on uncritically believing the words of "Informed Yemeni sources". This is very weak - I don't doubt that there are ongoing diplomatic efforts but the Houthis have an obvious incentive to exaggerate the concessions they are being offered to make their position appear stronger.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The shift in rhetoric to the diplomatic solution is noteworthy, but the claim from Yemeni sources in the article is a bit outlandish to believe.

quote:

Informed Yemeni sources reveal to The Cradle that the US offered Sanaa – in exchange for its neutrality in the ongoing Gaza war – “an acknowledgment of its legitimacy.”

This would involve severely reducing the role of the Saudi-backed Presidential Council led by Rashid al-Alimi and accelerating the signing of a roadmap with Riyadh and Abu Dhabi to end the aggression against Yemen.

The sources further reveal that the Americans pledged to immediately release withheld Yemeni public sector salaries from the National Saudi Bank, lift the country’s siege entirely, reopen Sanaa Airport, ease restrictions on the port of Hodeidah, and facilitate a comprehensive prisoner exchange agreement with all involved parties.

In terms of reconstruction, the sources say:

"[Washington] pledged to repair the damages, remove foreign forces from all occupied Yemeni lands and islands, and remove Ansarallah from the State Department’s ‘terrorism list’ – as soon as they stop their attacks in support of Gaza."

The very last bit I fully believe is on the table, maybe the money in Saudi banks, too. Those are the usual carrots in America's arsenal. Straight up recognising and backing the Houthi government? If the US was comfortable with a 180 of a deal like that, it would be easier and less 'humiliating' to simply stop sending weapons to Israel. Seems to me like the Houthis are tooting their own horn on this one, maybe in an attempt to signal their position to the US more clearly.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

This just means they're making such vast profits from piracy it's not worth taking the deal yet

Have they made *any* money from piracy? Or have they been charging tolls or something.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Haystack posted:

Have they made *any* money from piracy? Or have they been charging tolls or something.

They eventually get paid by vessel owners insurers or vessel owners. It can take a long while.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This whole article is based on uncritically believing the words of "Informed Yemeni sources". This is very weak - I don't doubt that there are ongoing diplomatic efforts but the Houthis have an obvious incentive to exaggerate the concessions they are being offered to make their position appear stronger.

"Informed Israeli sources" were plenty to spread the 40 beheaded babies and rape stories, why balk at this now?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is this the thread for the Iran news or is there a better place for that?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Goatse James Bond posted:

As lovely as israel is your take doesn't really seem like an accurate communication of the reporting.

Twitter accounts for Hamas spokespeople made the claim they were setting up speakers with the sounds of children playing to lure in IDF child killers.
At the time it seemed outlandish to the point of being fake, but later Israeli news semi confirmed it, at the least the use of the sounds of children playing, such as that article. Obviously their media don't say what reason Hamas had for using children's sounds versus any other number of sounds they could have used if they only want to draw in soldiers by their curiosity.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

cr0y posted:

Is this the thread for the Iran news or is there a better place for that?
Other fronts Israel is or could be fighting on and potential escalation is important context for the Israel/Palestine conflict, so that news would be appropriate to post here. That said debates which go deeper into those other actors in ways that is not directly related to the I/P conflict (eg debates about the morality of the Houthi's current naval campaign) would be better suited to the Middle East thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839774

Stringent posted:

"Informed Israeli sources" were plenty to spread the 40 beheaded babies and rape stories, why balk at this now?
Leaving aside your misrepresentation of the evidence and reporting surrounding October 7th, what exactly is your argument here? That because Israel is dishonest somehow that means we should uncritically believe what any other actor says?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Haystack posted:

Not as far as I know.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
bleak lol:

https://x.com/kenroth/status/1778759098512605250?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

https://x.com/awgaffney/status/1778771164971622691?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Leaving aside your misrepresentation of the evidence and reporting surrounding October 7th, what exactly is your argument here? That because Israel is dishonest somehow that means we should uncritically believe what any other actor says?

Not that we shouldn't uncritically believe it, but we shouldn't uncritically dismiss it either. Obviously I don't know for sure, but there haven't been any reports of further strikes on the Houthis from the US/UK airforces, but the Houthis are still firing missiles at shipping. So the narrative that diplomatic solutions instead of military ones are being persued is at least plausible, although I agree with you that article is pretty far from entirely convincing.

Also, I didn't misrepresent anything in my previous post.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The ADL just gave Harvard and several other universities an F on their Anti-semitism policies.

Going to the ADL website and reviewing the report brings up this:
https://www.adl.org/campus-antisemitism-report-card/harvard-university

Glad we can share the antisemite label for pointing out modern Zionism is a load of BS.

This seems too obviously partisan even for people who normally wouldn't look past a headline. Pro-Zionists frequently use a broad brush when trying to bury dissent, but this is more of an industrial paint sprayer method. Imagine burning the reputation of an institution which has been a genuine force for good in protecting your community like this, for this.

I'm surprised there haven't been more resignations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Stringent posted:

So you're citing a different discredited story using anonymous sourcing to prove...?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Not as far as I know.

I went looking, and couldn't find much evidence of profit-seeking on the Houthi's part. If anything, the evidence seems against it. They hijacked the Galaxy Leader and it's crew back in November, and have reportedly put Hamas in charge of their release. Meanwhile, this article claims that the owners of the Rubymar tried and failed to pay for safe salvage access to the ship while it was still adrift. Neither case screams of an organization desperate to rob the high seas.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Haystack posted:

I went looking, and couldn't find much evidence of profit-seeking on the Houthi's part. If anything, the evidence seems against it. They hijacked the Galaxy Leader and it's crew back in November, and have reportedly put Hamas in charge of their release. Meanwhile, this article claims that the owners of the Rubymar tried and failed to pay for safe salvage access to the ship while it was still adrift. Neither case screams of an organization desperate to rob the high seas.

Because they are not just engaging in piracy, as they have been pretty explicitly willing to explain to everyone since day one. It's one of the many instances where the so-called reasonable consensus has been little more than transparently racist wishcasting about the swarthy savages by Zionists.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Quantum Cat posted:

Because they are not just engaging in piracy, as they have been pretty explicitly willing to explain to everyone since day one. It's one of the many instances where the so-called reasonable consensus has been little more than transparently racist wishcasting about the swarthy savages by Zionists.

So you don't think there is any credibility to the claims that they've committed various crimes against humanity during their ascension to de facto ruler of parts of Yemen?

Nail Rat posted:

That has nothing to do with the post you're quoting, it's a completely separate issue.

I disagree. Organizations and people are regularly judged based on their prior actions. It's one of the best indicators available for intent and likely future conduct that you can have. In this instance and organization that has a documented history of committing atrocities is having their motives assessed with cynicism. Quantum Cat wants to claim that this is "transparently racist wishcasting about the swarthy savages by Zionists" which I don't think really captures the totality of what's been happening in the media.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 12, 2024

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Grip it and rip it posted:

So you don't think there is any credibility to the claims that they've committed various crimes against humanity during their ascension to de facto ruler of parts of Yemen?

That has nothing to do with the post you're quoting, it's a completely separate issue.

Not unimportant but wholly separate.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 12, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1778770289075102012

In a result that surprises no one, Israel is still blocking sufficient aid from entering Gaza

quote:

One of Netanyahu’s promises to Biden, to open the Ashdod port north of Gaza as a portal to seaborne humanitarian aid, has not yet been acted on, according to Israel’s Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (Cogat), a defence ministry unit.

An update on humanitarian aid provided by Cogat showed no customs clearance through Ashdod in the week from 4-10 April. Israel’s N12 channel reported that neither the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), nor the Ashdod port authorities had so far received instructions about opening the facility to shipments bound for Gaza.

Israeli officials had also promised for weeks that a crossing point would be opened into northern Gaza, where starvation is most severe. The new site is by the Mediterranean, near Gaza’s As-Siafa village and kibbutz Zikim, in Israel.

On Thursday the first trucks were allowed through, the Israeli military said. But the UN had not yet been allowed to use it, Touma said.

Even if new crossings open and aid delivery speeds up, Israel appears to be targeting a flow of 500 trucks a day, the amount needed to supply Gaza before the war, when the strip had a functioning economy and agriculture sector.

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

For what it’s worth, I’ve never once heard the whole “Houthis are just in it for the money!!” take outside of this forum and the literal /r/neoliberal subreddit. A significant portion of people I work with are explicitly pro-Israel and even they don’t think there’s some sneaky profit motive behind hitting a container ship with a cruise missile. It’s hard for me to see it as anything other than straight copium.

I gotta say also, that specific idea falls right into the same blind spot that a lot of my well educated peers seem to sometimes have; They really can’t wrap their minds around the fact that someone might be extremely motivated by ideology and bigger visions, both good and bad, instead of laserfocused on the smaller things in life like career prestige, sending the kids to the right schools, house size, etc. I think you could draw a direct line here from this kind of thinking and the failures of sloppy American nation building projects, complete with everyone’s apparent surprise when McDonald’s and football didn’t just pop out of the ground after the Abrams and Brads rolled through. And that was of course immediately followed by a dismissal of the Middle East as “just being full of violent people” instead of actual self reflection, but I digress…

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The dude will land on his feet. I'm sure he'll quietly be given some lucrative job.

not a value-add posted:

For what it’s worth, I’ve never once heard the whole “Houthis are just in it for the money!!” take outside of this forum and the literal /r/neoliberal subreddit. A significant portion of people I work with are explicitly pro-Israel and even they don’t think there’s some sneaky profit motive behind hitting a container ship with a cruise missile. It’s hard for me to see it as anything other than straight copium.

I gotta say also, that specific idea falls right into the same blind spot that a lot of my well educated peers seem to sometimes have; They really can’t wrap their minds around the fact that someone might be extremely motivated by ideology and bigger visions, both good and bad, instead of laserfocused on the smaller things in life like career prestige, sending the kids to the right schools, house size, etc. I think you could draw a direct line here from this kind of thinking and the failures of sloppy American nation building projects, complete with everyone’s apparent surprise when McDonald’s and football didn’t just pop out of the ground after the Abrams and Brads rolled through. And that was of course immediately followed by a dismissal of the Middle East as “just being full of violent people” instead of actual self reflection, but I digress…
:agreed:

The Houthis have mainly been attacking shipping using mostly homemade drones - and targeting vessels based on ownership or flag. As a result, there's no taking of hostages for ransom. In addition, I have not found any evidence of them accepting protection money.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 12, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

not a value-add posted:

And even taking the "informed Yemeni sources" at face value, it can also be as simple as this being POTUS election year, and the Iran deal falling through shows Washington offers no guarantees across administrations.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Stringent posted:

Also, I didn't misrepresent anything in my previous post.
You most certainly did not. I wonder where that comment came from.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Conspiratiorist posted:

And even taking the "informed Yemeni sources" at face value, it can also be as simple as this being POTUS election year, and the Iran deal falling through shows Washington offers no guarantees across administrations.

Careful mate, that sounds awfully like you think they're actually people, with ideology and concrete material goals, wouldn't want you to eat a probe for wrongthink.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/mariambarghouti/status/1778915707452822005?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Mariam Barghouti is a Palestinian journalist of some experience. Ramallah is the administrative capital of the Palestinian West Bank, and appears to be under a major sustained assault by armed settler militias.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

not a value-add posted:

There's been a couple of interesting books written about how the systems of modern Capitalism have stripped us of an understanding/acceptance of faith (both religious and secular), both in ourselves and in our belief in others, which has left us a lot more cynical and pragmatic. Enchantments of Mammon comes to mind; I don't share its belief in Christian prophecy, but I do think that it's correct that the constant hoops that we're expected to jump through to live our lives has conditioned us to become dispassionate and distrustful.

Why believe that the Houthis might hate Israel for their treatment of Palestinians & want to do something about it? Israel bombing Gaza doesn't harm Yemeni GDP, much more logical to assume that they're just very bad at freebooting.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Has the IDF produced any evidence that they actually fought Hamas at al-Shifa at all? youd think theyd have some drone footage or something

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They wear body cameras (or at least some of them do), one would think they'd be disseminating footage of fighting Hamas in the hospital if they had it, especially after the spectacular PR failure of the last raid.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The last bits of IDF body camera footage I saw were of them shooting up empty classrooms and hallways, 3-4 months ago.

Other than that, it was pretty much tiktoks of them blowing poo poo up and ransacking homes, posted on Telegram for the approving fans.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has the IDF produced any evidence that they actually fought Hamas at al-Shifa at all? youd think theyd have some drone footage or something
I'm sure they have long since stopped caring about producing any evidence of things like this

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Forgot if it was the CSpam thread or in here people were asking about reporting on what happened

https://mondoweiss.net/2024/04/come-out-you-animals-how-the-massacre-at-al-shifa-hospital-happened/

Sounds absolutely brutal. Executions and half of the dead were women and children

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

E2M2 posted:

Forgot if it was the CSpam thread or in here people were asking about reporting on what happened

https://mondoweiss.net/2024/04/come-out-you-animals-how-the-massacre-at-al-shifa-hospital-happened/

Sounds absolutely brutal. Executions and half of the dead were women and children

Jesus. I’m glad at least some media is starting to try and uncover what happened there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

the hasbara bots on twitter are claiming the whole thing never happened because the palestinians haven't produced any footage of the massacre (after having all their recording devices confiscated)