Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

No I know, that's just what the Romans generally called it from the Ottonians forward. Exonyms for everyone!
You're the only person I've seen claim that they used that title, rather than referring to the Franks. Information is pretty sparse overall by googling though, so I'm not saying you're wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time "Frank" was used as a more catch-all term rather than the old tribal group.

PittTheElder posted:

Aachenian Empire would be hilarious though. Johan please make it happen
Add a slider for how many naming sliders you have to deal with before launching the game, with the final option being one that opens up every country to be renamed according to its endonym or a Byzantine-style naming scheme.

Elias_Maluco posted:

What about buttons to move a slider
You should click on the "Increase/Decrease" button and then wait as the game slowly moves the slider towards your chosen option, the speed of which depends on the proximity of your territories to the capital, as well as tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Red Bones posted:

I've never actually eaten sliders. Are they common in the US? How large are they normally, compared to a regular burger? How many would a person eat in one sitting? If you order them at a restaurant, do they all have different toppings, like a little sample selection of the different burgers on the menu?

We'd love to tell you, but we have burger buttons and can only select 0-, 1.6-, 4-, 5.6-, or 8-ounce patties.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're the only person I've seen claim that they used that title, rather than referring to the Franks. Information is pretty sparse overall by googling though, so I'm not saying you're wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time "Frank" was used as a more catch-all term rather than the old tribal group.

Frank is absolutely the name they used for the people (including westerners more broadly, and Roman Catholics generally), and also the empire when it included the Western bits, but shifted to using King(dom) of Germany to refer to the state and it's ruler post-Otto.

You can see the usage in the Alexiad, among other places

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Frank is absolutely the name they used for the people (including westerners more broadly, and Roman Catholics generally), and also the empire when it included the Western bits, but shifted to using King(dom) of Germany to refer to the state and it's ruler post-Otto.

You can see the usage in the Alexiad, among other places
So all this time the Byzantium super fans have pretended like they're the victims of a linguistic attack, when in fact they had started the conflict with a far worse naming. Paradox should include an option for naming Byzantium the Empire of Greece to balance the scales.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

"Frank" is a word that really gets around. My cousin called me this slang last week, for example: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D9%81%D8%B1%D9%86%DA%AF%DB%8C#Urdu

Etymology is fun

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Just have every Empire named after the dynasty currently ruling it with -id at the end: eg Timurids, Ottomanids, Von Hapsburgids, Tudorids etc

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's not really a thing now but Φράγκος/Frank in Greek would've been a legitimate way to refer to western Europeans in my grandparents' generation.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Franks and yanks sitting in a tree,

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Whorelord posted:

Just have every Empire named after the dynasty currently ruling it with -id at the end: eg Timurids, Ottomanids, Von Hapsburgids, Tudorids etc

Charles III of the Windsorid Empire.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So all this time the Byzantium super fans have pretended like they're the victims of a linguistic attack, when in fact they had started the conflict with a far worse naming. Paradox should include an option for naming Byzantium the Empire of Greece to balance the scales.

I mean jokes aside the linguistic and academic attack by westerners were very real, and extremely unfounded. And not hard to understand the pain over it honestly, given that whole Fourth Crusade business.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Just name it Daqin and be done with it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I mean jokes aside the linguistic and academic attack by westerners were very real, and extremely unfounded. And not hard to understand the pain over it honestly, given that whole Fourth Crusade business.
But we just established that the Byzantines put that poo poo about the Kingdom of Germany in writing before any of that business, and their calling the HRE "Germany" was more unfounded than calling the ERE the Byzantine Empire. It's hard to feel sorry over this "disrespect" when the Byzantines dished out worse themselves.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

what in the world are you arguing about

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Whorelord posted:

Ottomanids,

"Osmanids", and that is basically what the state is already named:

دولت عليه عثمانیه
Devlet-i ʿAlīye-i ʿOsmānīye

Idr why Europeans started calling them ottomans. Maybe they invented the cushioned stool

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Red Bones posted:

I've never actually eaten sliders. Are they common in the US? How large are they normally, compared to a regular burger? How many would a person eat in one sitting? If you order them at a restaurant, do they all have different toppings, like a little sample selection of the different burgers on the menu?

Don’t know if this is a joke post but in case it’s not:

Sliders aren’t the most common form of burger in the US but they’re widespread enough that almost everyone would be familiar with the term. There’s a popular fast food chain White Castle that specializes in only sliders.

They’re about one fourth the size of a regular burger but often with a thinner patty.

Both White Castle and fancier restaurants often offer a small selection of sliders with a number of toppings or sauces. A fancy restaurant entree might have 3 or 4 of them. White Castle sells them in packs of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 etc. A normal meal might be 5 of them, and “I’m drunk and it’s late at night” meal for me is a pack of 10.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

t,ten? how small are these things

e: a quarter of a regular burger? like an american-sized burger?

you just go and grab two and a half american size burgers?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

mad? scared? gonna piss your pants?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Just means you can eat more burgs in one sitting while feeling like ur eating less. this is peak innovation

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

usually they aren't loaded with toppings either. ideally just onion, pickle, mustard, and cheese.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But we just established that the Byzantines put that poo poo about the Kingdom of Germany in writing before any of that business, and their calling the HRE "Germany" was more unfounded than calling the ERE the Byzantine Empire. It's hard to feel sorry over this "disrespect" when the Byzantines dished out worse themselves.

Westerners had been calling it The Empire of the Greeks since Charlemagne's day and the conception of translatio imperii, where the Pope and the Frankish emperor decided that actually they were the Romans now (no girls allowed).

And calling the Ottonian HRE the Kingdom of Germany makes almost as much sense as anything else, it was very much a German ruled state at that point, admittedly one trying to impose it's will on various Slavic and Italian groups with varied degrees of success. Makes much more sense than what they were calling it at the time (the Roman Empire; with curiously few Romans in it), with Holy only tacked on a few centuries later.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Just means you can eat more burgs in one sitting while feeling like ur eating less. this is peak innovation
Doing more with more, while working to build an illusion of that actually being less, is the real american way.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

180 calories per slider = 900 calories for 5 or 1800 calories for 10. I'm not claiming to be proud here

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I am sorry but this is an insane post.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

If the byzzies wanted respect they should've given respect, their effete ways resulted in...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

"Osmanids", and that is basically what the state is already named:

دولت عليه عثمانیه
Devlet-i ʿAlīye-i ʿOsmānīye

Idr why Europeans started calling them ottomans. Maybe they invented the cushioned stool

I'm actually pretty curious about this too, specifically the /s/ to /t/ switch. As far as I can tell by a simple wiki search the t is common throughout the romance languages (including Romanian?) while Eastern European languages preserve the s, with Greek in the middle with a theta in there

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I'm actually pretty curious about this too, specifically the /s/ to /t/ switch. As far as I can tell by a simple wiki search the t is common throughout the romance languages (including Romanian?) while Eastern European languages preserve the s, with Greek in the middle with a theta in there

Oxford's etymology has Othman as the Arabic pronunciation of Osman, medieval Greek going with the theta rather than sigma from that, and then medieval Latin dropping it down to a t.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

It is far worse being called a German than a Greek.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

YF-23 posted:

the core thrust is correct: byzaboo obsession over their roman cosplay sucks rear end. no one cares

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

even my grandmother, when i was a wee lass, told me that they were called sliders bc you dont have to chew, the grease lets them slide down your throat

make of this what you will.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always thought it must've had something to do with like bars and being served by sliding them down to the customer. And since bars aren't mainly about food, they didn't serve a full-on burger.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think there was some kind of legal kingdom of Germany at some point, but it's not really much known about or talked about, since its crown was kinda just massively superceded by the German king building up the whole Holy Roman Emperor title. The title king of Germany might've technically been formally part of the emperorship.

But more broadly, most peoples and places, especially if they're important and well-known across multiple cultures pick up multiple names, and regardless of whether the people of Qushta want to call themselves the rightful heirs of Wulumu, some other people will still call them Ionian because of the Walhaz identity having spread and taken on meaning independently of the individual trail of sovereignty of the strongest state eventually springing from Urbs Aeterna.

And of course all contemporaneous nomenclature becomes meaningless in modern contexts when looking back through the centuries at an era that all languages have warped or died in the time since then.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

You actually can't get US citizenship until you prove you can eat 10 of these. They don't tell you that up front when you start the process but the bureaucrats won't sign your paperwork until they watch you do it, kind of like a hazing thing.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 13, 2024

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

You actually can't get US citizenship until you prove you can eat 10 of these. They don't tell you that up front when you start the process but the bureaucrats won't sign your paperwork until they watch you do it, kind of like a hazing thing.

Quoting this before the FBI take it down for revealing the truth.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Crazycryodude posted:

god bless america

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

and they fast track the paperwork if you eat the fries too

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there was some kind of legal kingdom of Germany at some point, but it's not really much known about or talked about, since its crown was kinda just massively superceded by the German king building up the whole Holy Roman Emperor title. The title king of Germany might've technically been formally part of the emperorship.

It mattered more when the HRE was at it's peak and ruling territories outside of Germany. A ruler would first be elected King of the Germans (later the title was changed to King of the Romans) and then later be crowned Emperor by the Pope (or not, if the Pope was pissed at the guy). After the Empire lost Italy and Burgundy it stopped mattering.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

White castle is loving awful btw, never eat there or crystals unless you want food poisoning for the middest food imaginable

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Paradox Grand Strategy: It's 1575 and my pops are obsessed with burghers, please help

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Crazycryodude posted:

These are nonstandard White Castle sliders, the beef is usually much thinner than that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kinda weird for them to be treated as a quintessential part of the American experience, since they're pretty regional.

I know you can get frozen ones, I've never tried them though.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i think they used to be a lot more national but they shrank a lot in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know you can get frozen ones, I've never tried them though.

they are extremely OK. wouldn't really go out of my way to buy them over basically any other frozen food but if they're what you have you won't hate it probably