Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Don't know why you would need an hour of arguing about when the Simpsons got bad to do an analysis of Hit and Run when like 2 sentences is all you need for context. He's right though Hit and Run is a game I loved as a kid that has probably aged terribly, and you can safely ignore the opinions of anyone who thinks Principal and the Pauper ruined Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The main thing I remember about Hut and Run is that you could hop into the burned-out husks of exploded cars and drive them around. They went incredibly slowly and made horrific metal-grinding-on-pavement noises as they moved.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

holy poo poo beavis an butthead

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the principal and the pauper is an overhated episode and is actually very funny and pokes fun at the concept of continuity in a cartoon that doesnt have strong continuity to begin with which was the point of the episode.

Weird Sandwich posted:

Don't know why you would need an hour of arguing about when the Simpsons got bad to do an analysis of Hit and Run when like 2 sentences is all you need for context. He's right though Hit and Run is a game I loved as a kid that has probably aged terribly, and you can safely ignore the opinions of anyone who thinks Principal and the Pauper ruined Simpsons.

Oddly enough that's actually the opinion of the essay's weirdly lengthy digression into The Simpsons quality decline, it just kind of gets lost because it comes in the latter half of a needlessly long digression.

I like Soup Emporium's output and think there's some decent stuff in this video, but it definitely could have done with a more aggressive pass in the editing room.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

yeah. ctrl a, backspace

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the Simpsons are chuds....

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the decline of the simpsons happened because the show went on too long the writers ran out of ideas and now its just a brand and not a show you watch its just boring safe slop to consume not any one person or episode caused it its just been wrung dry of any creativity and furthermore simpsons road rage is the superior game

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Virtual Springfield is the best Simpsons game

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
In a few years the Simpsons will start to feature online personalities like SuperEyepatchWolf and TurkeyTom.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lisa knowing supereyepatchwolf is and shilling for his channel in a blank uncaring voice as homer nods and asks why he isn't a real wolf

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Evermore park is dead

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Love the episode where Homer freaks out over dealing with Dell tech support.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Unperson_47 posted:

:hmmyes:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

KingKalamari posted:

but you could clip about 30 minutes out of the essay on Simpsons history and still make that point just as clearly.
this is also true of every other video essay on youtube, even if Noah Caldwell-Gervais' fallout video is strictly correct opinions and takes on the franchise for 9 hours straight

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Unperson_47 posted:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Oh, also, here's a slightly old video about my favorite comic I thought was pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_PoWmFjEEw

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Bone rules. I have the big one-volume edition on my bookshelf right now.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Bone was the staple comic to pick out from my middle school's library, certified classic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the decline of the simpsons happened because the show went on too long the writers ran out of ideas and now its just a brand and not a show you watch its just boring safe slop to consume not any one person or episode caused it its just been wrung dry of any creativity and furthermore simpsons road rage is the superior game

I always heard it was because Matt Groening was the least funny person in the writing room and when the next generation of writers came on who grew up idolizing the Simpsons they treated Matt like a God and never objected to anything he wanted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bone is extremely cursed because I feel like every time anyone tried to adapt it to anything else the project went down in flames

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think a lot of people who have pithy explanations for why The Simpsons declined know a lot less about the production and behind the scenes stuff about the first eight or so seasons then they think they do. Four different people or groups of people ran the show over the course of the first eight years. It wasn't one writer's room in one configuration for eight+ seasons straight. When you watch the Golden age in order you can really tell that it wasn't really one show, and we only remember it as one coherent show from nostalgia and shuffled reruns.

Content, related: TheRealJims does great, sober videos about The Simpsons that range from conceptual essays to character studies and stuff. Pro click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhwjY_8AvIs

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Evermore park is dead

welp

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its because the first 8 seasons are the ones in the episode guide they put out that everyone bought

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah I have that one on my shelf because it's great. They did however put out additional two season a piece guides up through season I want to say 14.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nobody bought those ones though

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I have the season 1 - 8 one and the season 11 - 12 one, but not season 9 - 10 for some reason

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We gave Bone to Space Cadet for Christmas and she read the whole thing in a few days, has reread it since, and has started writing/drawing a crossover fanfic with Gravity Falls.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We gave Bone to Space Cadet for Christmas and she read the whole thing in a few days, has reread it since, and has started writing/drawing a crossover fanfic with Gravity Falls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHysKnpqB1U

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Evermore park is dead

What tombstone will they steal to put on the grave

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Simpsons Hit and Run is Blockbustercore to me. Naming it as an actually good game in 2024 is just nostalgia but by the standards of licensed games you beat in one rental it's better than average.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

pentyne posted:

I always heard it was because Matt Groening was the least funny person in the writing room and when the next generation of writers came on who grew up idolizing the Simpsons they treated Matt like a God and never objected to anything he wanted.

I can believe that because Life in Hell is painfully unfunny

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
The only Simpsons game I had any experience with was The Simpsons Bowling, it was fun :shobon:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

pentyne posted:

it's also insane because this attitude is less then a century old. It was created in the 50s and 60s more or less by modern media marketing.

I can assure you, this attitude is way older than a century. Hell, I'm reading a book about the history of ritualized streetfighting in Renaissance Venice which is basically if WWE, Fight Club and stupid-rear end gender roles were combined. And it was actually real!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tell her she's a nerd from me! Just joshing, glad she's got a good taste in media.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPnZzZtswc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mycot posted:

Simpsons Hit and Run is Blockbustercore to me. Naming it as an actually good game in 2024 is just nostalgia but by the standards of licensed games you beat in one rental it's better than average.

It has the same feel as people who insist that one Spongebob Squarepants game is genuinely good because it’s the only game they had as a kid.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

njsykora posted:

It has the same feel as people who insist that one Spongebob Squarepants game is genuinely good because it’s the only game they had as a kid.

Hey. Battle for Bikini Bottom is better than Hit and Run. Probably.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not every game that you liked when you were 8 years old was good, unless it was WCW/NWO Revenge on the Nintendo 64.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

both battle for bikini bottom and hit and run are perfectly decent 7/10s that got blown out of proportion by people whose parents only bought them licensed games and not mario

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remembering the scott the woz video where he talks about his childhood games and its literally just every spongebob and cartoon network game ever made and at age 15 he finally got to play mario galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
One year my Taiwanese cousin who barely spoke English came over for a few weeks and we couldn't really talk so we would just sit around playing WCW/NWO Revenge and communicate, in the squared circle.