Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it's cool/weird how such a simple free game can be insanely addicting for no apparent reason

humans must naturally just love number going up. guess thats why 401k's are ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh yeah if people are enjoying CrossCode, checkout UNSIGHTED. It's very good, not nearly as much as a hard-puzzle game but it does have a number of shooty-puzzle-platforming. It's a fairly short game so not a big time commitment (8-10 hours) https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062110/UNSIGHTED/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256854017/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1633729223

it technically has a timer which can make gamers go unhinged insane, but it also lets you turn it off in accessibility settings with no penalty. so feel free to play it without a timer and no loss in gameplay [i did]

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I respect a good timer in a video game, people should be braver about having to deal with one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whirling posted:

I respect a good timer in a video game, people should be braver about having to deal with one

yeah the stress of the timer in a mission based game is critical to some experiences.

a few years back i couldn't understand why project wingman wasnt giving me the same rush as ac7 despite being such a high quality clone and the lack of mission timer was a huge factor

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

loquacius posted:

Same but the current thing on my list is Yakuza 8 so I'll get to it sometime next decade

yeah, I'm feeling that hard rn but I've got a separate queue for less technically demanding games I play on my deck and this is right behind octopath traveler 2

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Xaris posted:

oh yeah if people are enjoying CrossCode, checkout UNSIGHTED. It's very good, not nearly as much as a hard-puzzle game but it does have a number of shooty-puzzle-platforming. It's a fairly short game so not a big time commitment (8-10 hours) https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062110/UNSIGHTED/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256854017/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1633729223

it technically has a timer which can make gamers go unhinged insane, but it also lets you turn it off in accessibility settings with no penalty. so feel free to play it without a timer and no loss in gameplay [i did]

very neat I'll check it out

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Whirling posted:

i cant imagine Majora's Mask without the timer. its so important to the entire experience

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i cant imagine Majora's Mask without the timer. its so important to the entire experience
tbf games like Majora's Mask or Outer Wilds are loops. i think there's a difference of loops vs if say.. mm/ow had a hard 10-ht/15-loop maximum timer and permanently ends now start over. not saying that one does per se but there's different ways things can be timed

stardew is another good loop example

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Apr 13, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Xaris posted:

HAHAHAHA YES HEHEHEHEHE

you can thank me for your funemployment

what have you done

what have you done

im making goddamn wizard tables right now

Whirling posted:

yeah xcom2 isn't as good without it.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Nioh's a weird little game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

Nioh's a weird little game
i think im the only gamer that really did not like nioh1 at all

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dreylad posted:

what have you done

what have you done

im making goddamn wizard tables right now

fuk

wishlisted

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Buck Wildman posted:

fuk

wishlisted
it's free on itch.io, tho i think Steam version has a new beta branch that i havent tried. I havent played it in awhile but i smell the dopamine coming....

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

time to scratch that itch.io

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh hell yeah, Brotato DLC just announced. i enjoyed that game way more than i should have

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Whirling posted:

My stance is that they make sense in fast paced run-based games and are bad in slow paced games. My personal opinion is against them for no better reason than when I am really digging a game, I like to take my time with it, and having that option removed is a bummer. Also if they exist, they shouldn't be invisible. For preference they should be displayed on the HUD at all times to engender constant anxiety.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Liberty

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I think timers are good when they exist but there's a controlled way of advancing them and not doing so results in a mounting level of risk/disadvantage

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i think timers are best in something like a tabletop setting where you can literally do whatever narratively because to make timers and their consequences realistic in a non-linear videogame would require an exponentially high amount of work-hours and assets to pull off for each failure state

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

dead rising 4 didn’t have a timer and it’s easily the worst dead rising

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Dead Rising timer ftw

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

DaysBefore posted:

absolutely but also that involved an incredibly crazy amount of design work to make all those spinning gears interlock rather than grind

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DaysBefore posted:

Best timer in the biz. Forgiving enough that you can follow a guide blind . Long enough to hit gud in the first half. The secret stashes and loop knowledge makes for some fun optimization making a later run completely different than first run.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
drilling the poo poo out of my wall playing underdogs, its fantastic

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xaris posted:

it's very good and also you're a big baby if you turn the timer off

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

gradenko_2000 posted:

Apparently the studio behind Kingdom Come Deliverance is announcing a new game this week

Anyone have an opinion on KCD? I have it on PS Plus so I'm wondering if it's worth a playthrough.

I found it fun enough to play all of the DLC, but that's because I'm a history nerd and I enjoy unusual games like this. At first, I bounced off it hard because it really leans into the simulation element (up to including a quest where the PC learns how to read and write) and some of the mechanics are wonky as hell -- combat, in particular. The problem isn't so much the controls (though that's something you'll struggle with), but that it's brutally difficult, and if you want to be at least competent at it, you need to spend a loooooong time leveling up your skills.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

DaysBefore posted:

if you savescum until you get the bonus inventory slot + jump-kick as your first two levels you can actually do a true ending saint run from a new file

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

biggest timer game i can think of is pathologic 2, which ruled

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

Apparently the studio behind Kingdom Come Deliverance is announcing a new game this week

Anyone have an opinion on KCD? I have it on PS Plus so I'm wondering if it's worth a playthrough.

excellent game. a must play

i think it'll be up your alley specifically too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Augus posted:

it's very good and also you're a big baby if you turn the timer off

no arguments there. i just turned it off cuz i didnt want NPCs to die (they're all too cool) and i like to go randomly afk while gaming, and also like to explore every nook-and-cranny-and-secret

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

saw this near my office today

now it is time to dive into hell

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

biggest timer game i can think of is pathologic 2, which ruled

pathologic 2 is the best game i played for a while, was really into and then immediately dropped because of the the pressure of children dying of disease if i hosed up

turns out there are buttons i can't handle having pressed after all

phenomenal game, though

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

no matter what, pirated versions of Dead Rising on the 360 would randomly crash during loading screens, so my young self had to deal with both the in-game timer as well as a more mysterious timer that could just gently caress me over whenever I went through any loading screen. It was loving brutal.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
theres a game breaking bug in dead rising's infinity mode where the game will freeze if you go into the food court on day 4 because you cant save in htat mode it means you lose hours of progress and have to start over lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all the responses re. Kingdom Come Deliverance. I think I will give it a spin this weekend.

___

also, buried in all the other Fallout news is that Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 have been added to GeForce Now.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lost in the turmoil of fallout and all the associated thoughts leaking out of heads, the system shock remake is only $18 on steam rn if folks have wanted that

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a game breaking bug in dead rising's infinity mode where the game will freeze if you go into the food court on day 4 because you cant save in htat mode it means you lose hours of progress and have to start over lol

this is why you always eat before gaming

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i tried playing the original system shock 1. once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i tried playing the original system shock 1. once.

too hard, I understand