Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

https://twitter.com/ChaseBeardsley_/status/1778827590675132900

Be interested to see how this works out if it's the actual case but also how the hell would that work

What a shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

may as well salt the earth so no other franchises dare attempt to grow in that forbidden land

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://x.com/carterscores/status/1778601004436722020

I found Mr Kite.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

https://twitter.com/ChaseBeardsley_/status/1778827590675132900

Be interested to see how this works out if it's the actual case but also how the hell would that work

Pretty sure the scam here is the owners are going to try to declare the Coyotes defunct and then call SLC an expansion team while transferring the Coyotes' players and staff wholesale, in an effort to bag a cool $500 million they don't have to share with the players.

If they really try that I have to imagine the NHLPA will file suit

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
salary cap is good for parity. you're a dork if you think that's the same thing as being a scab lol.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, fans of the hockey Yankees want teams to have unlimited money? Crazy.

at first i was very confused and then loled realizing how long its been since this applied to the wings

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Amazing

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The last time a guy did this Lemieux gave him his blessing iirc.

He'll prolly get chirped by other players though

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

may as well salt the earth so no other franchises dare attempt to grow in that forbidden land

But there’s already a Great Lake that is salted.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Colon Jello

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Man

I’ve been a coyotes fan since we got them

I played on the ice as a kid at intermission at multiple games when they were at America West

I am gutted

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 13, 2024

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Man

I’ve been a coyotes fan since we got them

I played on the ice as a kid at intermission at multiple games when they were at America West

I am gutted

We talk a lot of poo poo, and a crack a lot of bad jokes about the Yotes but i legit feel for you, this sucks for the fans.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

We talk a lot of poo poo, and a crack a lot of bad jokes about the Yotes but i legit feel for you, this sucks for the fan.

:v:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

We talk a lot of poo poo, and a crack a lot of bad jokes about the Yotes but i legit feel for you, this sucks for the fans.

It hurts even more because I am a Tempe resident and ultimately voted against the arena. It was a bad deal and it would’ve almost certainly destroyed my neighborhood and community. It sucks rear end it had to go this way

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Coyotes were good for hockey, as much poo poo as they get. Auston Matthews alone is proof.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

We just weren’t able to get ownership that wasn’t massively incompetent or a straight up grifter. Not much you can do about it. I can’t stand that it seems like Mereulo is gonna come out ahead on this too

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pretty sure the scam here is the owners are going to try to declare the Coyotes defunct and then call SLC an expansion team while transferring the Coyotes' players and staff wholesale, in an effort to bag a cool $500 million they don't have to share with the players.

If they really try that I have to imagine the NHLPA will file suit

Don't think the scam is on the players. If they are stripping the team from Mereulo it's Mereulo that gets hosed and the others split the money. The players wouldn't get jack poo poo if Mereulo just sells the team to Smith normally.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Speaking of Coyotes, Josh Doan felt like a "ok yeah Arizona picked him because of who his dad is" but he's got 7 points in 9 games, so shows what I know

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

The last time a guy did this Lemieux gave him his blessing iirc.

He'll prolly get chirped by other players though
See I don't know if they will anymore. Most of the players today probably watched his comeback years as a kid, but I don't think he carries the same reverence as he did even when Ho-Sang wore it. Also I think the league kinda painted themselves into a corner by retiring #99 league wide, but that's a whole separate conversation

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 13, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It may not mean much right now but I do think it would be wise for the NHL to push for Coyotes' history and stats and all that to stay in Arizona. Just make up a new team if it goes to SLC or wherever else. Owners shouldn't care about that poo poo anyway, and whoever gets the new team can just start from scratch.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The Gila River Arena in Glendale was actually a really sick setup with all the outdoor space and bars/restaurants around, it’s a drat shame the Coyotes refused to pay the rent

Doans son getting relocated in his first year owns, history repeats itself

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It really would not be that difficult to accrue cap hits over the regular season + 30-ish days instead.

Uhh no it would be very difficult considering it's be more like 60-75 days and create a super uneven playing field for playoff vs non playoff teams. It would drastically change how the cap works.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://x.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1778953139665707009

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Well that was quick, I thought for sure this was going to get drawn out or nothing was going to happen.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nah I think everyone's finally over their poo poo

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Goddamn. At least it's not like...thaaaat far (it's far) but nothing like Atlanta to Winnipeg or whatever.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Coyotes are definitely losing money year after year and if they essentially get a "pause" while they figure out an arena and can get reactivated in 5 years for the same price Merulo gets paid it make good business sense even if it's gross as hell (and probably won't happen anyway)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It got deleted I think

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Basically this I think

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1778962381047038367

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The suddenness of It does make me believe the Coyotes ownership got some sorta assurance about expansion. I half-joked earlier about Arizona and Atlanta, but...

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It’s actually really funny to see it done this blatantly lol

https://x.com/oilersjack/status/1778841539827183926?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Just wait til the Utah Monogamists make the playoffs in their first season and active Shea Weber and Jake Voracek off LTIR.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I complained when the bolts did the same thing but at the same time, for any instance of such obvious fuckery you're still taking a huge chance that losing a player worth that much of your cap is going tank your season

Like Vegas is barely squeaking in by virtue of how weak the rest of their division is
And they have to unfuck the cap tangle they got themselves into every offseason

Like it's a hilariously obvious circumvention of the rules but nobody is gonna come out and challenge it directly because that's gonna involve questioning the medical professionals associated with the team and that opens up investigation into all the LTIR-retirement circumvention and nobody wants that

And Bettman surely doesn't give a poo poo because hey, the team that just bought it won a goddamned cup - that's some of the best advertising you're ever going to get both for new fanbases and potential new franchise owners

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/thefourthperiod/status/1778973845300367402?s=46

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also how's that stadium gonna make any concession money if most of the population doesn't drink soda, let alone $20 beers

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If I know anything about BYU students and Mormons, it's that's they'll pay buku bucks for sushi despite being a landlocked state

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Also how's that stadium gonna make any concession money if most of the population doesn't drink soda, let alone $20 beers
Somehow the Jazz do it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Coyotes were good for hockey, as much poo poo as they get. Tage Thompson alone is proof.

So true

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009
Man, if Houston gets passed up for a team again in favor of Atlanta for a third time and Arizona after this debacle I can only assume Bettman had some sort of lost weekend in Montrose where all he remembers is someone saying “bueno, bueno…” over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

shyduck posted:

The suddenness of It does make me believe the Coyotes ownership got some sorta assurance about expansion. I half-joked earlier about Arizona and Atlanta, but...

They might come out ahead given the expansion rules. Arizona 2.0 may wind up a better team than Arizona 1.0 was for many years.

e-
https://twitter.com/jakebaskinpxp/status/1778980853038670254

Jesus Christ.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 13, 2024