Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Rimworld with no mods is torturous to the point that it feels like the game owes its entire success to some QoL mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The only game-altering mod I ran pre-1.5 was wall lamps, and now that's in vanilla, so I'm good

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I could not live without Allow Tool and P-Music.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
So a couple of early lessons learned:
- probably want two researchers at start, or at least ASAP
- stalling on researching the monolith is very unhelpful to the new player experience because the new content will start appearing anyway very quickly and that feels a bit uneven
- random research mod really does not mix well with this DLC imo because there are so many research branches

I like that you can make containment spots just any old place in a pinch, and put up walls around it later (prisoner bed spots should have worked like this)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doltos posted:

Rimworld with no mods is torturous to the point that it feels like the game owes its entire success to some QoL mods.

Lmao

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was actually gonna ask if you could put prisoners on those because early game a repeated issue I would have is not having cells lined up yet

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Containment spots will 100% get modded to contain pawns, and then it will inevitably lead to more war crime mods.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Doltos posted:

Good lord, no, not at all, it's great, you're just used to handling it a certain way

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i have never installed a single mod for this game and i enjoy it quite a bit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

President Ark posted:

i have never installed a single mod for this game and i enjoy it quite a bit

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
My modlist is extremely short and consists of stuff like better pathing and Common Sense.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sounds like you're not well placed to say whether it's better modded

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

sounds like you're not well placed to say whether it's better modded

there's a bit of a gulf between "the game is good unmodded, but perhaps modding it is better" and "the game is torturous unmodded"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

lunar detritus posted:

Containment spots will 100% get modded to contain pawns, and then it will inevitably lead to more war crime mods.

These are the mods i assume goons mean when they say they cant play without mods

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
If you guys don't stop playing games the wrong way I'm going to report you to the president of gaming.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Goons: Here's my 200 mod list it sucks that Anomaly broke them all but they'll be updated soon
Also Goons: You need mods to enjoy this game??

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Kris xK posted:

If you guys don't stop playing games the wrong way I'm going to report you to the president of gaming.

too late, man, why do you think i'm here

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kris xK posted:

Every goon who doesn't use the door mats mod is on the List.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doltos posted:

Goons: Here's my 200 mod list it sucks that Anomaly broke them all but they'll be updated soon
Also Goons: You need mods to enjoy this game??

You missed

Goons: game is literally unplayable without mods.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

For the most part I can play without the big content mods a lot easier then the multitude of small QoL mods. Like Rimworld at it's base is a game I find really annoying so it's nice to be able to deal with some of the parts that bother me

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Let's not try to litigate some Eternal Truth Of Gaming. Maybe for an individual Rimworld is unplayable without mods. It was just suggesting that its success would never have come without them that amused me a bit.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Revenants are insanely annoying.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I dunno I get a million Dwarf Fortressalikes that cross my desk every day and none of them have the mod support or love of Rimworld. To ignore how popular the game is from the modding community is a little ridiculous to me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah one of the smartest things Tynan did was embracing and encouraging outside modder support, I can't think of any other game that gives the modding community early access and special attention for integration and bug reporting in advance of DLC releases like Tynan does.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rimworld is good without mods and even better with mods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mods are great and I use them most of the time but I don't bother when a new expansion comes out because 1. I think it's probably better to play the expansion as intended without the already hosed up balance that mods tend to bring so that you can get an idea of how it's supposed to work. And 2. if you're fighting your mod list instead of playing the game that doesn't seem like fun, which seems especially a shame when you're playing a mystery and exploration focused expansion, broken mods would rather take me out of the experience.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ok let me amend my statement.

Rimworld without mods is torturous to me, and I probably wouldn't play it without them, but people can totally enjoy the game without them, and I'm sorry for the hyperbole.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah one of the smartest things Tynan did was embracing and encouraging outside modder support, I can't think of any other game that gives the modding community early access and special attention for integration and bug reporting in advance of DLC releases like Tynan does.

stardew valley does this as well but i'm pretty sure concernedape learned it from watching tynan

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Not a single thing said about cube, that's hosed up

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

Not a single thing said about cube, that's hosed up

My colony has cube and my colonists love cube and can't get enough cube

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mad Wack posted:

stardew valley does this as well but i'm pretty sure concernedape learned it from watching tynan

well it's certainly very rare, glad to hear it's not totally unique

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I got tired of making my ghoul kill and eat animals so I locked him in a freezer with whatever fresh corpses we find until he is needed

Maybe spoilers about cube:

My colonists love playing with cube so I put it in a public area

When they are not admiring cube they build tributes to cube

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I got the DLC and started a researcher run, or My Dad the Ghoul, with no mods. So far, I only miss the Harvest Full Grown command, select all thing, and pick up and haul. Hygine and Hospitality I don't miss much and now seem a hindrance to early games, though definitely unbalanced mid-late game re farming and faction relations. I will likely want Simple Sidearms and Run'n'gun back once I start losing fights. RimHUD was good, too, and medical tab. Won't need camera+ anymore, the new wall lights are awesome, and hidden power cables will save me so much steel circling walls and are cheaper than the mod version.

I activated the anomaly day 2 which maybe was a mistake but my sensor hasn't detected anything in 8 days while getting established. Ghoul Dad was able to free up a mechinator link by taking down a scorcher that stupidly met him in the middle of a huge river. Beyond that we've only had generous visitors, psychic sooth, and one delicious mad monkey. Oh, and a book that apparently makes you throw a tantrum.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

simple sidearms actually works in 1.5, so does rimhud and camera+

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Playing without Pickup and Haul is really painful, goddamn.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the mod I miss the worst right now is the one that lets you save worktable bill setups and copy/link them between duplicate worktable types, it isn't really fun to set up every stove with 10 cook jobs that will always be the same for every colony you ever make.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
I mean the base game is great but I can't imagine enjoying playing without at least allow tool, ogre stack or similar, and some mod to make hauling behavior a tiny bit sane. I am sure I recall a time where corn stacked to 75 and it sucked.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Okay, I thought I was fine without mods but holy poo poo I hate replacing walls in vanilla rimworld. Replace Stuff seems to have been updated but there are enough bug reports in the comments that I'm wary.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

lunar detritus posted:

Okay, I thought I was fine without mods but holy poo poo I hate replacing walls in vanilla rimworld. Replace Stuff seems to have been updated but there are enough bug reports in the comments that I'm wary.

Designator Shapes' fill tool and Replace Stuff has permanently spoiled me on wall building and home zone placement/removal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

E: my bad, replying to the wrong post