Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So dude just nuked shady sands because he was bigmad his wife didn’t want to come back to the vault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I was a little confused about the ghouls thing, I thought he was taking Jet, but he seemed maybe too in control, but maybe it's just different for ghouls. It didn't bother me.

Has anyone checked on how no mutants allowed is reacting to the show?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Plotac 75 posted:

Gifted
Small Frame

It's funny because they really emphasize how tiny he is in the scenes with Chet. Normally you see shows working so hard to downplay height disparities, here his counterpart will be fully in picture and this man's head is barely onscreen

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

Is No Mutants Allowed still a thing? I remember when they had breakdowns over, like, Fallout Tactics.

Would you be surprised to learn that there's some that like it (much to their admitted surprise), some that don't, and others that laugh at it being canon due to its events? ("People bawling over something that contradicts the games? First time?")

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

esquilax posted:

Mostly it's because the lore complaints are overwhelmingly really bad.

Actual lore differences like "ghouls now have Wolverine-style healing" are drowned out 10 to 1 by things like "Shady Sands is too close to LA, there should have been 3 episodes of walking each way. Never mind that even Fallout 1 and 2 couldn't agree on the actual Shady Sands location"

Most people were complaining about how they went again with the post apocalyptic setting versus the post post apology setting. No gunrunners or any caravans for logistics 220 years later

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I read all the retcon stuff but decided to ignore all of it after some dude in vault 33 said the vaults water chip is broken. which to me says that all the other stuff is less retconning the old games and just oversight.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Something that caught me off guard, was watching it with captions and there was a character named brain on a roomba.

Just loving perfect.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

For all that's good about the show, they really shouldn't have turned it into an Ink Spots playlist

Should've saved the songs for the credit sequences

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Vinylshadow posted:

For all that's good about the show, they really shouldn't have turned it into an Ink Spots playlist

Should've saved the songs for the credit sequences

I have almost no connection to the games. Played through the first one like 15 years ago and basically only saw people playing some of the newer ones. Digging the show so far though. Rapaport showing up in the second episode was a pleasant surprise.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Eat The Rich posted:

I read all the retcon stuff but decided to ignore all of it after some dude in vault 33 said the vaults water chip is broken. which to me says that all the other stuff is less retconning the old games and just oversight.

that was largely a game reference that didn't come up afterwards except as serve as impetus for the 33 -> 32 pop transfer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ironhead posted:

Something that caught me off guard, was watching it with captions and there was a character named brain on a roomba.

Just loving perfect.

I think that was mostly to hide who it was. I noticed that a lot of characters didn't show up on X-Ray until we learned who they were in the show.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao at Vault 4

"Oops."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nice of them to use the HUD from power armor when seeing people's faces in the helmets

Rather impressive how animated the suits are given they have no fusion cores though

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just finished up the show. A lot better than I expected it was gonna be. Mention of Cooper's Feo, Fuerte, Formal thing was repeated a bit too much but I guess they really wanted to make sure that the audience understood that he ended up becoming what he originally didn't want to be

Also lol at the looooong pause for the famous line

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

James Urbaniak should reprise his role in season 2.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Goddammit I wish this show wasn't dropped all at once. :negative: I'm too busy the next few days and I have to avoid all spoilers and conversation until it's too late.

This is a drive-by post but so far I'm loving it in the same way as The Last of Us' adaptation, though I'm less familiar with the Fallout games. They've nailed the naive vault dweller humour and production design. The effects are surprisingly look great and gorey for TV. Walton Goggins is eating this up - I feel like the Ghoul is going to be huge at Spirit Halloween this year.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
lolf. The Ghoul tossing a hook around Maximus in the suit as he's trying to fly off in the second episode looked terrible. What an awkward looking scene. Maybe some sort of game goof or something?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Todd Howard is like 3 feet tall

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Liked the show but found it impossible to ignore how power armor could not hold a gun. Any gun, in any direction. Every time you see one it's just glued to the palm or cradled like a child or hold on with a tiedown.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Honestly I think this may be the best vidjagame adaptation ever. Sure TLOU was great but that was easy, the game practically wanted to be a movie anyway, you just copy that story and do it well, boom. Heres a game thats totally different, just a way more freeform player-does-whatever experience, and transforming that into a entertaining narrative that also feels true to the source, way harder.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Tbh that bothered me too, but I burned out on fallout 4 around when you kill the guy who killed your spouse and I never touched 76, so I wasn't sure if they already retconned ghouls in some way. (ep 5) Similarly to whatever was going on with Thaddeus. Didn't know if he actually was becoming a ghoul or they just say that because that's all Max knows and maybe he actually got some FEV or something and is becoming a super mutant.

I now wan this to be true because I really want that moment when there’s a Super Mutant standing over the party and then you get to hear Thaddeus’ voice as he recognizes all of them and gets excited.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He name can be Thuddeus

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Entorwellian posted:

I like Norm's character development in the series too. I thought he was going to be some unlikable, opportunistic twerp and a coward. However, both him and Chet grew on me and were pretty relatable at the end. They did a really good job casting that actor to play him.

Agreed 100%, I had no idea I was going to like Norm so much, his character kinda slowly emerged to be quite compelling and yeah, kudos to this actor for making it totally work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finished binging it and you know, Moldaver's kind of a huge rear end in a top hat for keeping Lucy's mom around in that condition that long. Like goddamn let her rest.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
This is the best Fallout experience since New Vegas.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bluemillion posted:

Fallout Shelter is finally dethroned

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bluemillion posted:

Not exactly a high bar but true nonetheless.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thinking about it it's a bit weird how they just leave you to connect the dots on Moldaver and her leaving the tri-vault with Lucy's mom. I think it's the only thing they should've fleshed out more, she seems like she had some cut scenes around her.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

So dude just nuked shady sands because he was bigmad his wife didn’t want to come back to the vault?

Not just that - the NCR group there was also competition and now they had info on the vaults and what Vault Tech had done. He decided they were a threat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Curious about something. Ep2:
So Siggi flees from an Enclave facility and the Commonwealth Brotherhood gets word of it... somehow, and determine he's heading for California. I'm wondering where the Enclave facility is. Remember how "ED-E My Love" and Lonesome Road mention that ED-E is flying from the Capital Wasteland towards Navarro? He stops in Chicago at a hidden Enclave base and befriends a kid named Tommy while he's in the city.
The Capital BOS also mentions that some Brotherhood members went rogue in Chicago. But in Fallout 4 it's pretty clear that the Brotherhood has brought the Outcasts back into the fold, so maybe they reestablished contact with the Chicago chapter, too, and that's how they got tipped off to Siggi fleeing the Enclave, possibly from the Enclave's own Chicago-area base?

On the topic of Vaults, aside from the ghouls at Necropolis and some tribal groups, most of the California societies are descended from Vault 15 inhabitants, including the NCR and various gangs. It's been almost 170 years since people left that Vault and other Vaults have been discovered since. I figure seeing new Vault Dwellers is rare but not unheard of.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 13, 2024

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Things that seemed unresolved:

Why is the water chip broken and then never mentioned again?
Does eye patch lady actually like Chet at all or just wanted someone to help with the baby?
How and why did Maldova get 219 years into the future? How much time did she spend in the NCR?
Wouldn't Hank have known about Vault 32 or did they not find it odd that the 32 overseer was not communicating for 2 years?
Why is it important to have two separate connected vaults?
If Vault 31 is literally just a cryo room where did all the repairs for 32 come from and filling it up with prewar equipment again?
Why did Maldova enter through 32 if she knows Hank was in 33?
Did Vault 4 originate a bunch of wasteland creatures?
Why does Vault 4 have an entrance trap like that, why would it be needed for the original purpose of the vault?
How do the people in Vault 4 all know about Maldova or care when they just want to stay down there?
Why did The Enclave not try and hunt down the cold fusion research?
Did Lucy's brother cryo himself?
What exactly did Thaddeus take that turned him into a ghoul instantly?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Azhais posted:

it occurs to me that all the projecting is also based on new Vegas existing, which it clearly does not. since this show erases fallout: nv entirely, the last actual appearance of the NCR was when it was a single town in fallout 2

Where does weird take come from? we literally see it on screen. It exists and is in universe.
How is it overwriting NV or erasing it?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, there is a ton of New Vegas stuff there including Big Mt/House/Repconn, beyond the city itself which is going to probably be the focus of next season.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
When they were in the hospital, I could have sworn the score was a track from one of the games like Mark Morgan or Inon Zur. Was that my imagination? Would be smart if they used some of the ambient game tracks like Last of Us did.

edit: also like 1 episode in watching Goggins go to town my friends and I all looked at each other and nodded "bloody mess perk!"

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 13, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Things that seemed unresolved:

Why is the water chip broken and then never mentioned again?
Because it was like, a day later when the vault people get split and the water needs drop a bunch and then the only POV character we have in the vault leaves that vault and the show ends.

Does eye patch lady actually like Chet at all or just wanted someone to help with the baby?
Seems like she is just horny and now has a baby all by herself. And she's from 31, and Chet is easily lead.

How and why did Maldova get 219 years into the future?
GIven that one of the first scenes in the final credits is a billboard for cryo tubes, and cryo tubes were featured heavily in the final episode as well as just an episode previously, my guess is cryo tubes.

Wouldn't Hank have known about Vault 32 or did they not find it odd that the 32 overseer was not communicating for 2 years?
Moldova was faking the communications. It was all a setup.

Why is it important to have two separate connected vaults?
Vault-Tec schenanigans.

If Vault 31 is literally just a cryo room where did all the repairs for 32 come from and filling it up with prewar equipment again?
Given how, in the games, the security forces are almost always shown to be full of the blind obedient types to the overseer, it seems likely that it was the security people. Also maybe there were some robots from 31 that we didn't see on screen.

Why did Maldova enter through 32 if she knows Hank was in 33?
If Hank just blew up shady sands because he has big divorced dad energy, it's a safe bet that he would have wiped Rose's access codes to 33.

Did Vault 4 originate a bunch of wasteland creatures?
If they did, probably just the one.

Why does Vault 4 have an entrance trap like that, why would it be needed for the original purpose of the vault?
The original purpose was to experiment on people and animals. That's how they catch people.

How do the people in Vault 4 all know about Maldova or care when they just want to stay down there?
They don't just stay down there. The cult leader lady said they had scavenger teams going on the surface. Also most of the people living in the vault are literally from the NCR.

Why did The Enclave not try and hunt down the cold fusion research?
We don't know they didn't. They tend to be pretty quiet about stuff.

Did Lucy's brother cryo himself?
Guess we'll find out in S2.

What exactly did Thaddeus take that turned him into a ghoul instantly?
Ghoul Juice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zero VGS posted:

When they were in the hospital, I could have sworn the score was a track from one of the games like Mark Morgan or Inon Zur. Was that my imagination? Would be smart if they used some of the ambient game tracks like Last of Us did.

They played a bit of the Fallout 4 theme in there, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yGpoRbwe4s

Prefer the much bleaker New Vegas theme myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyR-K5EYM-A

grobbo
May 29, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Thinking about it it's a bit weird how they just leave you to connect the dots on Moldaver and her leaving the tri-vault with Lucy's mom. I think it's the only thing they should've fleshed out more, she seems like she had some cut scenes around her.

I don't think she's implied to have come from the tri-vault herself (as I don't think her name appears on the deactivated cryopod list?) but I agree that her actions come across as contrived and illogical with the few scenes she has, and it could have been an easy enough fix.

Full spoilers:

At some point in the years after Shady Sands' destruction, Moldaver ended up with:
- a sacred mission to restore power to the wastes
- the specific knowledge that a genocidal Vault-Tec agent had retreated with her friend's children back to a nearby vault along with working fusion core power, supplies and some kind of nuke launch mechanism which could be used to simply wipe out her society again even if she did achieve her goals
- her friend's Pip-Boy which can open any vault doors of her choosing
- a heavily-armed following of increasingly feral and hungry ex-NCR remnants, hanging out in an observatory with a secret reactor that could only be activated by a Vault-Tec agent, like the one living nearby behind a door which she could open

On paper, it's not really clear how she's built up this positive 'Flame Mother' reputation, given that she's achieved nothing while apparently sitting on all this extremely actionable knowledge for years or decades.

Anyway, an Enclave scientist is finally able to escape with the priceless, future-changing tech required to power the reactor, and she very much just leaves him to make the journey himself (but does kindly arrange safe passage for the very final leg from Filly via one random old lady. She does not send any of her heavily-armed followers to Filly. I will accept this contrivance as a New Vegas tribute.)

Instead she heads to Vault 33. She cannot or doesn't want to break in directly, so instead she goes to the emptied Vault 32, hunkers down there, and starts over time sending Hank telegrams pretending to be the Overseer. She's so confident that he hasn't heard her name either from his wife or that nobody from Vault-Tec could remember her from 200 years ago that she...just uses her real name.

Eventually Vault 33 proposes a marriage swap, allowing Moldaver to finally get off her bum. She kidnaps Hank while leaving all her sources of leverage behind, and then sticks him in a cage and as far as we can tell then just sits around for the entire season as he refuses to give her the observatory code.

Likewise, riddle me this: The Ghoul first hears Moldaver's name in Episode 1. As we later see, he remembers her as a Pre-War activist (or perhaps a double agent) with inside knowledge of Vault-Tec's dealings and the Vault-Tec executives.

The Ghoul's long-term motivation is to find his family, who he knows were put in a control Vault along with the Vault-Tec executives. Moldaver could clearly help with this.

However, he shows no particular interest in her until he sees a Wanted poster of her towards the end of the season and grimly states "That's not how I remember her" because she's aged slightly. Then he seems to want to seek her out.

Why is that the big shock to your system, Coop? You clearly know about the cryofreezing tech, because otherwise you wouldn't be bothering to hunt for your family in the first place. Did you really assume it was a different woman called Lee Moldaver right up until you saw a drawing of her where she looks different from the person you remember, which convinced you that she was actually the same person??

(The answer, I know and accept, is 'because he's only allowed to start caring about things again later in the season')

grobbo fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 13, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

CainFortea posted:

Where does weird take come from? we literally see it on screen. It exists and is in universe.

the game didn't have a manifesto heiling New Vegas and saying Fallout 3/4 and 76 aren't canon.

Zero VGS posted:

edit: also like 1 episode in watching Goggins go to town my friends and I all looked at each other and nodded "bloody mess perk!"

Lucy looks at the NCR flag and the Fallout Game Leitmotif plays.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CainFortea posted:

Because the NCR was nuked before the events of Fallout: NV. Sure, Vegas is still there, but the game isn't, which means any lore from the game is no longer valid, like how big the NCR was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Azhais posted:

Because the NCR was nuked before the events of Fallout: NV. Sure, Vegas is still there, but the game isn't, which means any lore from the game is no longer valid, like how big the NCR was.

Do you not understand how flowcharts work? The Fall of Shady Sands happens in 2277 - the same time the NCR gets involved heavily in waging a long war against the legion for the control of the mojave. The actual bombing happens some time afterwards because divorced dad was really mad.