Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

apparently there's gonna be a new live action TMNT movie and it will be rated R.

hope raph hangs brain

Adaptation of The Last Ronin apparently. Which sounds basically like Old Man Logan for TMNT, where only one of the turtles is remaining. And I think there's a driving question as to how it's not clear at first to the audience which of the turtles he actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

they should have james urbaniak reprise his role in season 2

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

The most inspired casting in the Fallout tv show was making Rappaport play a character just as stupid as he is.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nichael posted:

You said it. He's rich and his wife works for VaultTec. Practically everyone he knows is rich, even the dude from Reservation Dogs is a communist who is wealthy from his acting career.

walton goggins was not in reservoir dogs wtf are you smoking

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I got the vibe the Institute is basically the Think Tank with less resources but also less containment. And following a throughline of pre-war American scientific institutions being morally bankrupt war crimes factories encouraged to use everyone and everything as a test subject and material for wunderwaften with basically unlimited government funding. See also Vault-Tec.

The Institute's problem is that they're cut off from all of that support that real world think tanks have. What they need are specimens for experimentation and materials to further improve the site and feed their factories. But they are also completely sealed off from the outside world and control the only way in and out. The Institute could have ruled the wasteland directly but instead they do everything through extremely circuitous routes that take decades to pay off because they can't do things directly because supposedly they want to remain concealed, but terrorising the wasteland also draws attention to themselves. Eventually even in the form of the Brotherhood which could destroy them utterly. It's just not well thought out at all and is fit to meet the needs of the sandbox instead of doing something compelling. Also for a supposedly amoral faction of scientists they make very plot convenient moral stances like Father's choice not to treat his cancer.

The really frustrating thing about Fallout 4's story and worldbuilding is that it sets up a lot of interesting ideas but never really follows through on them.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Apr 13, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Stairmaster posted:

The army buddy who drinks with him and invites him to the “definitely not communist” meeting.

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Apr 13, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dallas is one of my favorite actors in Reservation Dogs. Aho young warrior!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

the Fallout show is very fun schlock, I appreciate that Walton Goggins is having a good time, and I think it comes off better than it following on the heels of the very dour and boring The Last of Us adaptation, but it would be better if the Brotherhood of Steel was not in it. they're like that franchise's version of Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2: something that worked exactly once in the context of one game and then they appear again and again for no real reason beyond brand recognition.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't think country music can be appropriated because folk is the song of the masses

but if it could it would look and sound roughly like this

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

Dallas is one of my favorite actors in Reservation Dogs. Aho young warrior!

Prob the best drama of the last 3 years which is every year it ran.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The most inspired casting in the Fallout tv show was making Rappaport play a character just as stupid as he is.

I can’t think of anyone else who could have sold that particular blend of cowardice, stupidity, and malice more perfectly.
Deeply enjoyed it when Maximus summed up how he died.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pomeroy posted:

I can’t think of anyone else who could have sold that particular blend of cowardice, stupidity, and malice more perfectly.
Deeply enjoyed it when Maximus summed up how he died.

he's a stupid rear end in a top hat in real life, but he played the role of stupid rear end in a top hat very well.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

yeah. They make heads explode in goo and the old timey song plays.

that's the worst part tho? why do i have to hear and see hyperviolence to 1935 vibrato

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I get that people hate him, but he was the perfect man for the job.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Redezga posted:

I get that people hate him, but he was the perfect man for the job.

don't care, took me out it

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

don't care, took me out it

I'm happy I forgot he was so virulently pro-genocide when I watched it. He's blurred in with so many others.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

indigi posted:

that could totally be the intention/part of the lore, but since everything is 50s aesthetic, I expected McCarthyism as part of the day to day and not necessarily an indication of anything novel. when America looked like that, actors and writers and directors were being blackballed all the time, so why wouldn't that still be happening? it made the racial acceptance seem even weirder tbh because the mere existence of mixed race couples was often blamed on communists/communism (even before the 50s)
The race neutrality (as well as tolerance of LGBT people I believe) is a bit odd in 2070s turbo-fascist America. But it's not necessarily different than our present day. It also is an issue I'm glad the collective series ignores. It's tedious to watch chuds miss the point of "bad characters doing racism are indeed bad" and a Fallout where race politics is more of an issue would likely result in that.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Nichael posted:

he's a stupid rear end in a top hat in real life, but he played the role of stupid rear end in a top hat very well.

It was what he was born for

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

i say swears online posted:

the best part of ep 1 was the party host slugging the black dude to keep him out of the shelter

Few pages back, but I dunno how much we're meant to be thinking about race during this scene, given that a) there's a conspicuous reason that a selfish utilitarian would be punching anyone out in that situation regardless of race and b) nature of the bunker community (the mixed race but monoculturally Norman Rockwell) which seems to be a throwback to pre-war society. I think, rather than having to accept that post war society made a shift towards liberal models of acceptance, it's more likely that in this version of the narrative both settings have a liberal attitude towards race relations (and gender, given the genderqueer Steel recruit), and that the guy at the start was being punched out because the bunker owner was a selfish arsehole in a violent confrontation.

Even the bunker guy's snide attitude to Goggins at the start is based around him suddenly perceiving Goggins to be a pinko, rather than already being set against him because of a mixed race kid.

I've only seen the first episode though, so I dunno if this becomes more obviously the intended reading as we go forward.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

The race neutrality (as well as tolerance of LGBT people I believe) is a bit odd in 2070s turbo-fascist America. But it's not necessarily different than our present day. It also is an issue I'm glad the collective series ignores. It's tedious to watch chuds miss the point of "bad characters doing racism are indeed bad" and a Fallout where race politics is more of an issue would likely result in that.

Yeah, it’s this weird casting trend that’s been going on for the past couple of years where you go completely race and gender neutral when casting people. A lot of shows are doing this now, not just this one. I think the idea is that you can make race and gender discrimination go away in the real world if you stop portraying it in fiction. I don’t think it works, but at least it’s well intentioned and it opens up a lot more roles for nonwhite actors. That being said, unless it’s alternate history or a fantasy world, it doesn’t really work, but Fallout kind of is a fantasy world, so I think it works here.

Anyway, I just finished the season and it was amazing. They even did the brotherhood of steel right. I really don’t get the complaints.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Yeah, it’s this weird casting trend that’s been going on for the past couple of years where you go completely race and gender neutral when casting people. A lot of shows are doing this now, not just this one. I think the idea is that you can make race and gender discrimination go away in the real world if you stop portraying it in fiction. I don’t think it works, but at least it’s well intentioned and it opens up a lot more roles for nonwhite actors. That being said, unless it’s alternate history or a fantasy world, it doesn’t really work, but Fallout kind of is a fantasy world, so I think it works here.

Anyway, I just finished the season and it was amazing. They even did the brotherhood of steel right. I really don’t get the complaints.

It's many times more offensive in something like Hamilton than Fallout. Fallout is choosing not to discuss that issue, and that's probably fine. Hamilton and similar productions are just insulting.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the racism in fallout was directed at the chinese. Another topical thing that is gonna bubble up more and more in the real world.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

It's many times more offensive in something like Hamilton than Fallout. Fallout is choosing not to discuss that issue, and that's probably fine. Hamilton and similar productions are just insulting.

Oh absolutely. It really pisses me off whenever this kind of casting is done in a real world setting because it’s always in the service of historical whitewashing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Weembles posted:

Fallout is just an example of the internet's eternal struggle with middle-brow entertainment. Stuff that's functionally key jangling light entertainment but with a thin veneer of smarts so that people who've been to college can openly enjoy it.

It works great for normal people because they can watch Shakespeare in Love or The Shawshank Redemption, agree it's nice, and then never think of it again. If nerds try to pick it apart in a forum thread it just turns into an endless cycle of "I liked it" "but is sucked" "but I liked it" "but it sucked"

people reject the notion that you can like something that sucks, but you can. we all do. "it sucks" vs "I liked it" aren't actually in opposition unless your identity is directly tied to the media you consume, in which case you have a bigger problem.

people can like something that is imperfect, and in fact everything everyone likes is imperfect. Mao taught us this.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nichael posted:

it isn't race neutrality though cause homeboy from Rez Dogs lists all the bad Native American stereotypes he's played, and Goggins comments something like "but you had magic powers, that's good representation!" so there's clearly still racial chauvinism going on at some level of society, which makes its utter absence from every other aspect of society portrayed in the flashbacks all the more stark

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

indigi posted:

it isn't race neutrality though cause homeboy from Rez Dogs lists all the bad Native American stereotypes he's played, and Goggins comments something like "but you had magic powers, that's good representation!" so there's clearly still racial chauvinism going on at some level of society, which makes its utter absence from every other aspect of society portrayed in the flashbacks all the more stark

ah yeah true

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

I played every Fallout that released on PC within a year or so of their release and I enjoyed every one. I am three episodes into the show and am enjoying it as well.

Thank you Todd.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

imagining a remake of A Man Escaped in the fallout universe. holy poo poo that would be epic. L'Argent with bottlecaps. good lord i loving love movies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
whole lotta potential to combine my favorite Brands. zaslav should remake Treasure of Sierra Madre but in fallout and its searching for original formula nuka pepsi crystal, but turns out it was already drunk. immediate oscar winner

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

CSPAM goons: I hope China nukes Amerikkka it would be great

Todd Howard: I have heard you. here is the wonderful world that I have created where that happens and I will allow you to live there with me in my mind palace and see it’s wonders depicted in both great games and on television

CSPAM goons: gently caress you Todd!!!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lin Manuel-Turtle posted:

Todd Howard: I have heard you. here is the wonderful world that I have created where that happens and I will allow you to live there with me in my mind palace and see it’s wonders depicted in both great games and on television

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

stupid b*rnie brxs are never satisfied.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

imagining a remake of A Man Escaped in the fallout universe. holy poo poo that would be epic. L'Argent with bottlecaps. good lord i loving love movies

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
hmm ive downloaded this fallout series. the tv's & pip-boys are too high resolution and clearly digital.... looking like this show is rated 'crap'

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Nichael posted:

Color blind fascism works really really well in Helldivers

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Watching the first ep, the goofy americana is better but its interesting how they tried to emulate the vault exit but you just can't do it with typical camera framing/pacing. It just doesn't work. Really striking thinking back on how for all its faults in having to make fallout jump into 3D, Bethesda completely nailed the fo3 vault exit. Seared into memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

War and Pieces posted:

Color blind fascism works really really well in Helldivers

Actual aliens to hate probably would reduce racism a bit